All reviews belize river howler monkeys cave tubing mayan ruins last night belize zoo close to the airport overlooking the river international airport the entire staff free shuttle room was large zip lining nice pool minute drive san ignacio ambergris caye
Reviewed June 7, 2010

I expected a good time because my sister stayed there and highly recommended the Black Orchid. What I got was the most perfect vacation ever. My friend and I were impressed right away. We received a very warm welcome that made us feel instantly comfortable. Our river-view room was spacious and immaculate, causing me to forgo the initial disinfecting I usually do when I enter any hotel room. It was the best night sleep I have ever gotten in a hotel room. The staff was the best. The owners, Doug & Karen did a great job choosing a class-A staff. They were personable without being intrusive. Fallon and Beverly, the daytime and evening receptionists were friendly and helpful. The restaurant staff did their utmost to ensure our comfort. The food was very tasty and they manage to give the perfect portion size for full satisfaction and minimal waste.
The tour activities were exhilarating and adventurous. My friend and I tried zip-lining, cave tubing and snorkeling for the first time (Lamanai was awesome too. What a workout in the jungle!). Yet, we felt comfortable and safe in the capable hands of the guides the Black Orchid provided. Dexter, Ryan, Dave the snorkeling guy and all the other fabulous guides were knowledgeable and handled their work with pride, professionalism and enthusiasm.
It was really hard to leave the Black Orchid and return to Baltimore, MD. My friend is already asking me: "When are we going back, December?". Yes, we are making plans to return as soon as snow hits the ground in Baltimore. Thanks Black Orchid for the perfectly wonderful vacation!!!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank gardnerduo
Reviewed June 4, 2010

The Hotel is wonderful. It looks like a plantation. The rooms are nice and clean. Food is good, but I found the portions too small for what you get. What really spoiled everything was that they sprayed pesticides while we were swimming in the pool with our small children. They didnt even announce they were going to do that. My little 2 year old stood there in the fumes and I didnt know where to take her. When I phoned the owner later to complain about that unfortunate incident she hang up on me. Very unprofessional and unfriendly. I think they should be taken away their licenfe for compromising the health of their guests. They fumigated again at 7 in the morning - again without giving notice. Because of it^s location and the wet season, there are many mosquitos. This is life in the tropics and we would not mind. But pesticides at small children....

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed April 27, 2010

Where do I begin?

The helpful and knowledgeable staff was excellent and always at hand. We felt very welcome and at home from the minute we arrived. The friendly manager is regularly cruising around, helping out with the rest of the staff.

The rooms were clean and very large- we stayed in the Allison room, nearest to the river. We agreed the beds are easily more comfortable than some swanky hotels, and the same can be said about the quiet A/C. All rooms have screens over the windows, to keep flying friends out.

Take advantage of the complimentary pedal boats and kayaks! The river is beautiful and full of wildlife. From the water, we experienced iguanas, jesus christ lizards, butterflies, howler monkeys, crocodiles, water-walking spiders, parrots, and more.

Food is excellent. The servers are very attentive and poilte, and meals are served continously throughout the day. Most of our group is vegeterian, and ordering was easy at every meal.

The pool is clean, and central to the grounds, yet not loud or imposing. There is plenty of room to relax or be active on the property. Read a book in one of many hammocks next to the river, sunbathe at the pool, drink in the gazebo/bar/dance area, or snack in the resturaunt with a panoramic and screened river view.

Many great sights are nearby- we drove to the Howler Monkey Reserve (Baboon Community Sanctuary) and Crooked Tree in our rental car.

Black Orchid is highly recommended! Great value, too.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank Krendrapretarus
Reviewed April 22, 2010

Ryan picked us up from the airport, got us to our room, and then showed me the crocodile across the river, and loaned me his binoculars to watch the beautiful birds all over the property. The rooms were clean, cool, and comfortable. We had a nice dinner, best shrimp quesadilla ever! The pool was great, the canoe ride in the morning was so nice. The howler monkeys were right on the river in the trees yelling at each other, and we even caught fish off the pier. Anything we needed, includung renting cars, was available. Beverly and Edwardo were always there for me at night to make me feel right at home. The owner, Doug, took us way out to long caye to look at some property we are going to buy. His employee, Dennis, was with us, and we felt like we were with our own family. Those guys are so much fun, and they were always there for us! They provide tours, but Jim and I ventured out on our own most of the time! I read a review that mentioned the food was not good, well, they are wrong. I did visit Belize city, and I'm very glad we didn't stay there. those hotels are much more costly, and that warm welcome feeling just is not at those "big" hotels. Waking up to the sounds of birds, geckos, fish slapping the water, and a nice breakfast served by nice people is my kind of vacation. I can't wait to see my friends again at the Black Orchid Resort, Fallon's pretty smile at the front desk, and one more hug from Beverly! I love my new family! Love, Dana and Jim Dobosz

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Naturelover62
Reviewed April 12, 2010

Our original flight was cancelled and we were forced to arrive in Belize a day earlier. Unfortunately, our connecting flight to Amergris Caye was sold out so we needed to stay near Belize City overnight. I found this hotel through Trip Advisor and all of the reviews I read were spot on. The rooms were adequate, very clean, and the setting was special. The staff were amazing, always ready to help you or take you anywhere you wanted to go. The home cooked food was great. There is a lot to do around the area, but since we only had a day, we were unable to take advantage. I would highly recommend the Black Orchid with Doug the owner. Service is top notch!

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family