“Personal service at its best”

Golden Cupids Hotel
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in San Sai
Reviewed 8 January 2012

There is a reason why Golden Cupids is rated No. 1 among the hotels in Chiang Mai. Because it is simply the best. The hotel, its ambience, its owners and even other guests make you feel it's just one big family. From customized food to taking care of your every comfort, Golden Cupids really impressed us. Now, for the details.

The service of Golden Cupids staff (Peppet and her daughters) begun even as we were making our reservations. Their friendliness was exemplary. As a family of five (that included two kids and my aged Mother-in-law, apart from my husband, and me) we landed at Chiang Mai airport, and Peppet had sent her driver to receive us (Free of cost. It's mentionable as no other hotel offered such service, and if they did, they did so at a high cost.) The hotel is about 45 minutes away from the heart of the city. Although away from the city, it is ideally located for all tourist destinations.

The room was great with three queen-sized beds that fit all of us quite comfortably. It also came with a mini refrigerator and kettle and tea and coffee sachets.

Now, my kids and I are vegetarian and I had booked this hotel because I was assured that vegetarian food would be available. At every meal, we were treated to a sumptuous, customized vegetarian fare. And at every meal, Peppet would personally ask about our needs and help decide our outdoor plans too. Breakfast was always a simple menu, but one that I wouldn’t mind eating for the rest of my life (if only those extra kilos didn't add!) When you are there please don't miss on the 'Banana Pancakes'. It's just divine. For lunch don't miss on the simple "Rice noodles and Thai Green curry'. Peppet is so obliging that when I asked where I could get spices for the Thai curry, she actually gave some from her pantry. The kids loved their ‘Spaghetti with red sauce’ so much that they had the same for every meal and still wanted more.

Because it is a very small hotel, you invariably get to know almost all the guests, and lunch and dinner becomes like one big family gathering.

There are cycles kept, which you can use (again at free of cost. No rent.) My older son who had made friends with other children there was always cycling with them whenever we were not going out. In fact, all of us went out for a long cycling down the road to see the paddy fields and all. If you are there use the cycles. It's fun.

And, please ask for the Thai massage given there. The lady who gave me the massage (sorry I forgot her name) was superb. It's worth every penny.

Now if there is one negative point I have to say about this hotel, it is that the hotel runs on solar power. So hot water in the bathroom almost became a luxury. In our 5-day stay there, we missed a couple of baths, because water was never hot enough. May be in summer, things would be different.

But, it was such a miniscule thing that all of us were willing to forget that, including my MIL. So much so that if we ever decide to visit Chiang Mai again, there's only one place we will stay and that is in Golden Cupids, a home away from home.

Room Tip: Our room on the first floor was spacious, sunny and huge.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Lallitha

Reviewed 6 January 2012

After several nights at the Peninsula in Bangkok the very basic rooms with worn blankets and spartan bathrooms were a bit of a shock but that initial disappointment evaporated as soon as we met Pepe the wonderful woman who owns and runs Golden Cupids. She and her amazing staff prepared amazing meals in their open air kitchen and every breakfast, lunch and dinner we had was incredible. The best part of our entire time in Thailand was getting up early one morning, loading into Pepe's van with my husband and the other couple we were traveling with and going to the local market with Pepe. We shopped all morning, sampling, taking pictures, meeting local farmers and then came back to the inn and had a hands on cooking lesson in the kitchen. We each prepared one dish and that was our lunch. It was a foodie dream come true. You will be well cared for and get service like you have never experienced, all for an incredible price.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 December 2011

Golden Cupids was such a great find! We just checked out today and wishing we didn't have to leave. Family owned and operated led by the matriarch of the family, Pepe. My wife and I have travelled all over the world and try to stay at small boutique hotels whenever possible and Golden Cupids differentiator is not that it's chic or contemporary, but that the owners make you feel so welcome and at home. Many other posts reference this same thing and it's very true. My brother, who was traveling with us, commented that "Pepe is like the mom we wish we had."

Although the hotel is about 20 minutes outside of Chiang Mai city center, the staff will make sure you get to where you want to go. One morning Pepe even personally drove us into the Old City herself. Also, many of the best attractions in Chiang Mai are outside of the city center anyway. I rated the location a "3" but was not an inconvenience in any way, shape, or form.

Another story to their credit: after we checked out of the hotel and were at the airport, I realized I had left my mobile phone at the hotel. I called and talked to Jan, one of Pepe's daughters. She immediately got in the car and drove to the airport with my phone (and had a smile on her face when she got there). Service like that doesn't happen very much in this world anymore.

This is a very family friendly property and most of the guests we met and saw had children. Pepe's grandchildren, ages 8 and 3, were right in the mix playing with all the other kids and it was fun to see.

There is a lot of love at this place and hopefully we will be back soon.

• Stayed: December 2011
1  Thank Americans_in_Tokyo
Reviewed 28 December 2011

Like the gentleman in the last review stated, this place is Shangrila.

Perhaps many are used to the 5-star hotels with gigantic buffets and over-dressed staff who greet you and open massive doors to spacious, ornate lobbies buzzing with other foreigners... Golden Cupids is like staying at your favorite aunt's house... except no one is hovering over you or telling you what to do. They let you do as much or as little as you wish.

Peppe, the energetic dynamo of a woman is the owner, and called me "Darling" soon after meeting me. There was no pressure to do anything. Some guests booked extensive tours, and rode elephants, went zip-lining, visited tigers and remote villages. I did very little while here, simply because I could.

Since I arrived before Christmas, the place was adorned with charming, colorful lights that ushered in the holiday spirit. Christmas night was a fantastic turkey dinner with all the 'fixins' and a magnificent Thai dance show.

The grounds here just soothe the spirit. Lush trees and a fish pond provide a tranquil setting that allows kids to be entertained and adults to visit and relax.

Breakfast provided myriad choices such as delicious banana pancakes, eggs, bacon, cereal, etc., as well as a fresh fruit platter, yogurt and other items. The staff members listen well and accommodate guest's needs. On Christmas Eve, I was not feeling well (part homesick and part physical) and requested scrambled eggs, potatoes and toast at 6 p.m. They delivered it to my room without missing a step!

Jan in the office has an aura of incredible kindness. Moon cheered me up by discretely leaving a very touching card on my doorstep. All of the staff do just about everything--cook, wash dishes, clean, talk to guests, etc... It's like one big extended family.

The rooms are enormous, unlike tiny boxy rooms in Europe or Singapore where one can't even turn around without elbowing the wall!

I've gone on too long b/c I can't say enough about this wonderful place. If you want a big glitzy hotel chain with a gym, limos and flashy business people, don't stay here. The only downfall of this place, and it's not a big downfall, is that it is quite a ways out of town so there is not much going on around the neighborhood. I did enjoy walking and jogging all around the nearby Maejo University. Thank you again Peppe and staff. You are amazing.

Room Tip: Any room is wonderful because it's a small hotel. Some rooms have big balconies but one can sit...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank CDV1125
Reviewed 27 December 2011

Like all the other reviews, the service is what makes this place special. It's run by Peppe (friendly caring grandma, but not old at all) and her daughters and son. Peppe was wonderful, sweet friendly and caring. It's run like a family Bed n Breakfast, so if thats what you're looking for then great.

Location however is far out. Out as in very east of the city and not close to anything (ie waking). So be prepared that you will have to get transport everywhere (which they are happy to arrange).

The room is a little basic and kinda "old". Bathroom shower kinda negative and a couple times there was no hot water. So be prepared to test the water periodically during the evening and when you get hot water better shower fast.

The tv in the room very old (old fashioned CRT type and very small screen).

Food in the restaurant was spectacular. Everything made fresh and you can taste the love and care in the food.

Overall its a pleasant place, but it's best for those who have been to chiang mai many times before and want the small friendly family chill cottage thing. For first timers, better you stay closer to the city.

Thanks.

• Stayed: December 2011
Reviewed 14 December 2011

The Golden Cupids defies type-casting. It has its own unique style and ambience. It is not so much a hotel as a permanent country house party. We see many of the same people every year. There are no surnames. It is run entirely by ladies – Peppe, the adrenaline-fuelled owner, hostess, maitresse de cuisine and mentor at her cooking classes, tour-guide, chauffeuse, and fixer. She is also a fine judge of character –she always addresses me as ‘Charming’. Then Jan, manager, receptionist, gardener, accountant, programme-planner. She lent us her welding mask to observe the eclipse of the sun, so goodness knows what else she gets up to – safe cracking, maybe?

The rooms are huge with every mod-con including free Wi-Fi (please note, Holiday Inn, Novotel and other rip-off artists). The service is warm and impeccable. The food is marvellous, the surroundings tranquil.

It is #5 in the Trip Advisor list of over 300 hotels in Chiang Mai, way above all but one of the super-luxe hotels but with a rather different room-rate. It is one of the best two 3-star hotels.

What’s not to like?

This is a birdwatchers paradise. I can sit on my balcony where a tamarind tree touches it. The tree is heaving with bulbuls, mynas, thrushes, olive-backed sunbirds, magpie robins, and the rest almost within touching distance. We also have a resident pair of Burmese striped squirrels that resemble chipmunks. At the Water Garden Restaurant not only do we get some of the best Thai food anywhere but we also have a daily visitor to the fishpond only feet away, a Chinese water heron. So far we have identified 51 species and several others not identified. The paddy fields abound with several species of egret, herons, swallows, swifts. We have the noisy drongo and the equally noisy coucal that looks a bit like a pheasant.

Room Tip: Every room is a huge suite.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank manxie_10
Reviewed 11 December 2011

spacious room big beds with windows that can be opened let the fresh air and sound of bird singing . caring people peter designed the hotel pepe and her daughters run the hotel as if they are welcoming friends ...great breakfast especially pineapple pancake...they can arrange tours if you like . i went to doi suthep with taxi driver for half a day. Pepe daughter took me to local market to get delicous local snacks . after relaxing stay at golden cupids i stayed a few days at the old city which make may stay in chiang mai very memorable

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo