“Lovely, family run retreat in Chiang Mai”

Golden Cupids Hotel
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in San Sai
Reviewed 28 February 2012

Thoroughly enjoyed our stay here. Beautiful setting, lovely gardens and well equipped rooms. Pepe and her family go out of their way to make their guests feel comfortable. Though outside of the town, getting to town or for outings-in our case a cooking class one day and the International Flower Show another, was no problem. The staff would either arrange for a taxi or one of them would drive us. The food was some of the best we had in Thailand and our in-room massage was definitely our best Thai massage. Re: the hot water: It was never an issue but sometimes we needed to start the shower several minutes early and wait.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank drebb
There are newer reviews for Golden Cupids Hotel

Reviewed 20 February 2012

I know its all been said by previous reviewers but we had such a good time staying for 10 days at the Golden Cupids that I felt I must add our comments. It really is like staying with an extended family. We really felt sad leaving Peppe and all the other staff who made us feel welcome in ways we have never experienced in a hotel before. Chiang Mai and the area around is so interesting and beautiful. This was our first visit to Thailand and we could not have picked a nicer place to stay. Dont worry about being outside the city - Peppe, Jan and the others will ensure you do and see as much as you want or relax if you want (all at very reasonable costs). The area around the hotel is also interesting to explore using the free bikes provided and there are bars within walking distance if you want a change. Our 10 days was not enough and we will definately be returning. Thank you to all at the Golden Cupids.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank WhiskeyHeadBristolUK
Reviewed 24 January 2012

As others has said, there is a lot of love at this place and a lot to love about it. Peppe and her family do a really terrific job of everything - from hotel pick-ups, downtown drop-offs, tour arranging, room and garden caretaking. And the food is to die for - and at very reasonable prices. People coming or going are warmly greeted by parties of staff. Everyone is introduced to one another; it's like staying in someone's lovely home. It is about 25 mins out of town with not much of note within walking distance but that makes it very tranquil. Most of the key tour attractions of Chaing Mai area require transport anyway. If you take a tour arranged by the hotel, Jan will do her best to be sure pick-up and return to hotel are part of the "deal". Rooms are extremely large and immaculate with everything one needs but not fancy decor. I lenjoyed my stay immensely from start to finish.

Room Tip: I had a ground floor room facing the front of the hotel with the dining area just off to one side...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank grobinsongow
Reviewed 9 January 2012

We were picked up from the airport and received a very warm welcome when we arrived at Golden Cupids Hotel. The location is in a quiet residential area. The hotel’s dinner and breakfast are excellent. The rooms are large with all amenities, but may appear a little “dark” due to the heavy curtains. Free Internet was working well. The hotel has a nice and secluded garden, but the patio floor and loungers could use a little overhaul.
The host takes very good care of the guests, and arranges gladly visits to the local attractions, which may fill a few days.

For a drink outside, a few bars, frequented mainly by the local students, are located approx. a 10 minutes’ walk from the hotel.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank AG_Johnson
Reviewed 8 January 2012

I was a bit concerned when we first arrived as the area surrounding the Golden Cupids Hotel is not quite what we had expected. However, we were greeted so warmly by the staff and owner and our children quickly had fun exploring the pool and playing with other children (the owner has bikes she lets the children use in the driveway). I agree with the other reviews - the service was phenomenal (great food at reasonable prices, free and fast wireless internet, free transport to the airport (wow!), and help with scheduling taxi services and daily trips). I also agree that the rooms were spacious and very clean, but you could also hear everything from the other rooms (and bathrooms). The only reason that we gave this a 4 instead of a 5 is that you need to have transportation to see any of the sites (usually a 30-45 minute drive) and you could hear people in other rooms.

Room Tip: I think I would ask for a room with a porch facing the pool or at least facing away from the outside...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank RogersFamily5
Reviewed 8 January 2012

There is a reason why Golden Cupids is rated No. 1 among the hotels in Chiang Mai. Because it is simply the best. The hotel, its ambience, its owners and even other guests make you feel it's just one big family. From customized food to taking care of your every comfort, Golden Cupids really impressed us. Now, for the details.

The service of Golden Cupids staff (Peppet and her daughters) begun even as we were making our reservations. Their friendliness was exemplary. As a family of five (that included two kids and my aged Mother-in-law, apart from my husband, and me) we landed at Chiang Mai airport, and Peppet had sent her driver to receive us (Free of cost. It's mentionable as no other hotel offered such service, and if they did, they did so at a high cost.) The hotel is about 45 minutes away from the heart of the city. Although away from the city, it is ideally located for all tourist destinations.

The room was great with three queen-sized beds that fit all of us quite comfortably. It also came with a mini refrigerator and kettle and tea and coffee sachets.

Now, my kids and I are vegetarian and I had booked this hotel because I was assured that vegetarian food would be available. At every meal, we were treated to a sumptuous, customized vegetarian fare. And at every meal, Peppet would personally ask about our needs and help decide our outdoor plans too. Breakfast was always a simple menu, but one that I wouldn’t mind eating for the rest of my life (if only those extra kilos didn't add!) When you are there please don't miss on the 'Banana Pancakes'. It's just divine. For lunch don't miss on the simple "Rice noodles and Thai Green curry'. Peppet is so obliging that when I asked where I could get spices for the Thai curry, she actually gave some from her pantry. The kids loved their ‘Spaghetti with red sauce’ so much that they had the same for every meal and still wanted more.

Because it is a very small hotel, you invariably get to know almost all the guests, and lunch and dinner becomes like one big family gathering.

There are cycles kept, which you can use (again at free of cost. No rent.) My older son who had made friends with other children there was always cycling with them whenever we were not going out. In fact, all of us went out for a long cycling down the road to see the paddy fields and all. If you are there use the cycles. It's fun.

And, please ask for the Thai massage given there. The lady who gave me the massage (sorry I forgot her name) was superb. It's worth every penny.

Now if there is one negative point I have to say about this hotel, it is that the hotel runs on solar power. So hot water in the bathroom almost became a luxury. In our 5-day stay there, we missed a couple of baths, because water was never hot enough. May be in summer, things would be different.

But, it was such a miniscule thing that all of us were willing to forget that, including my MIL. So much so that if we ever decide to visit Chiang Mai again, there's only one place we will stay and that is in Golden Cupids, a home away from home.

Room Tip: Our room on the first floor was spacious, sunny and huge.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Lallitha
Reviewed 6 January 2012

After several nights at the Peninsula in Bangkok the very basic rooms with worn blankets and spartan bathrooms were a bit of a shock but that initial disappointment evaporated as soon as we met Pepe the wonderful woman who owns and runs Golden Cupids. She and her amazing staff prepared amazing meals in their open air kitchen and every breakfast, lunch and dinner we had was incredible. The best part of our entire time in Thailand was getting up early one morning, loading into Pepe's van with my husband and the other couple we were traveling with and going to the local market with Pepe. We shopped all morning, sampling, taking pictures, meeting local farmers and then came back to the inn and had a hands on cooking lesson in the kitchen. We each prepared one dish and that was our lunch. It was a foodie dream come true. You will be well cared for and get service like you have never experienced, all for an incredible price.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
Howie's HomeStay
#3 of 19 in Mae Rim
22.1 km away
Panviman Chiang Mai Spa Resort

Been to Golden Cupids Hotel? Share your experiences!