Wainstones Hotel(Great Broughton)(Great Value!)
US$91
  • Restaurant
Longlands Hotel(Middlesbrough)
US$49
US$42
All reviewsgourmet nightgourmet packagepetit fourshandmade chocolatesthree course mealtwo coursesquaint hotelon arrivalmarket squareexecutive roomlambnext morningsunday lunchhigh streetyorkshire breakfastwedding venueblack pudding
Reviewed May 11, 2015

Stayed Saturday 10th May on an Executive Gourmet night special offer. Fab deal, room and bathroom both spacious and bed very comfy. Presseco and chocolates in room. 3 course dinner excellent and Chef chatted to guests at the end of night asking their views which was a nice touch. Lovely friendly atmosphere in restaurant. Breakfast of the same excellent standard, smoked salmon and poached eggs a light tasty alternative to the full English. All highly recommended.

1  Thank CGledhil12
stevenharry, Owner at Chapters Hotel and Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2015

Dear CGledhil12

Thank you for taking the time to complete this review....

We really do appreciate our guests feedback and especially when the comments are lovely such as yours.

Our Gourmet Night Special is a popular promotions with our guests and we are pleased to hear that you have enjoyed your time with us.

I have passed your comments onto the whole team and we do look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Reviewed May 5, 2015

Tried the bed breakfast and wine tasting event for 2 for £199 .

Have stayed here before and had room 1 which is a superior room but views the Main Street , herein lies the problem ! On the first Sat of each month there is a farmers market just outside of the hotel so at 05.00 there is a delivery of scaffolding offloading and then assembly of the market stalls which then had me wide awake by 6.30 .

This is followed by stall holders arriving and setting up !

Anyway , back to the wine tasting event : Mays even was a Californian wine tasting even with a limited menu to choose from which complimented the wines being tried.

There were seven samples ( about half a 125ml glass of each ) of which one was palatable , which was the Chardonnay, and the Pinot Noir not bad however let's just say I found it best to purchase a bottle of wine and leave the samples , just sampled !

Food was excellent as it always is , I measure by a good steak and this certainly was good , medium rare chargrilled and as tender as could be , with a brilliant taste . Accompanied by steak cut chips rather than the couscous offering on the menu .

Only one choice of desert on the menu for wine tasting night but they were happy to provide anything as a substitute . My wife had a chocolate mouse with a raspberry sorbet which tasted fab and I went for the blue cheese thinking it may accompany the desert wine nicely however the wine was like cough medicine !

Don't know if the wines were a poor selection of California's offerings as I have had some good Napa Valley wines in the past , but not these ones .

Would I recommend Chapters , definitely , would I recent the food , certainly , would I recommend the wine tasting , unlikely , but maybe this was just the Californian wine selection .

Chapters do a gourmet event , dinner bed and breakfast for £150 which is fab value so just buy the wines from the list and have your own wine tasting , then you get what you like to drink !

Room Tip: Stay away from the front of the hotel and forsake a view for a quieter nights sleep , especially if there is a farmers market on !
  • Stayed: May 2015, travelled as a couple
stevenharry, Owner at Chapters Hotel and Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded May 11, 2015

Dear PSM51

Thank you for taking the time to write this review from your recent stay at Chapters...

I have printed your comments out regarding the market stall holders and will be taking this over to the Parish Council today, as we are assured that the stalls should not be set up this early in the morning, and with feedback from our guests we can alert them to this issue.

With regards to the Wine Tasting - I have also passed your comments onto our Wine Tasting Expert Laura, though just to give you an understanding of these evenings.....
- Laura chooses all the wines for the tastings for which we bring into the building - she has the expertise and knowledge to select these wines.
-All our wine tastings have a menu option which has specially been selected with the wines in mind - Victoria and Laura agree these together, therefore I have mentioned about the dessert wine too for you
- We have always only offered one dessert for the Wine Tasting, though our guests do have the selection of the a la carte menu to choose from if they don't like this choice.

I am pleased to hear that you would come back again and do look forward to seeing you at Chapters in the near future.

Reviewed May 5, 2015

We booked the Gourmet evening to celebrate my husbands retirement. We had been previously but this was a number of years ago. The meal was fabulous. Well presented with a good choice and very tasty. The staff were excellent. We stayed in one of the more expensive rooms (room 2) which was disappointing. Although very spacious and clean it was shabby, dated and very worn. I would definitely eat here again but would not stay over.

• Stayed: May 2015, travelled as a couple
stevenharry, Owner at Chapters Hotel and Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2015

Dear Jackie J

Thank you for taking the time to write your review here regarding your stay with us recently. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your meal...

I have taken your comments on board regarding the accommodation and will have a look at the room in question, as you can imagine with a 250 year old building, we are constantly undertaking renovations of the building and have just recently decorated two of our bedrooms.

We do hope you will give us another chance and stay once again.

Reviewed May 2, 2015

We had travelled from Cheshire so that I could spend my 60th birthday with my sisters. My husband booked the meal for 6 of us. The meal was delicious and we were not rushed in any way. The restaurant was not available owing to a private party so we ate in the bistro. It was extremely efficiently run and all the staff were friendly. When the chef came to speak to us we were more than happy to tell her that everything was wonderful. The finishing touch was a plate decorated with Happy 60th Birthday and hand made chocolates. Thank you for making part of my celebrations so memorable.

Stayed: April 2015, travelled with family

Dear Elliemay55

Thank you for taking the time to write this lovely review of your meal here at Chapters recently.

We really do enjoy reading the comments on here and take all points (good or bad) on board and when we receive such positve remarks such as yours, they are a pleasure to read.

I have passed your comments to the whole team and we are pleased that your husband's 60th birthday celebration was such a memorable occasion.

Reviewed April 6, 2015

Very Disappointing hotel. Having travelled for 5 hours to reach the hotel, we checked in and were given our room keys, we opened the doors to find that the rooms had not been cleaned. Both our room and our friends room were not made up and the bathrooms were filthy. When we went to reception she was surprised they were not ready as it was after the checking time of 2pm and went to find the cleaners. When we asked the cleaners about it we were told that they would be ready in an hour. Not ideal as we had a wedding to go to and an hour only to get ready!! After we explained this they made up the rooms quicker but we still didn't get in until 2.40pm and we had to leave by 3.15pm! Whilst waiting for our room we went to get a snack from the hotel restaurant only to be told that they were only serving Sunday lunch and no other food was available. Despite the room guide stating that they served a range of food.
The room itself was dated and the plaster was falling off of the walls. The bath was chipped and the shower was broken. I certainly would not stay here again.
I personally thought the hotel was very expensive considering how poor it was and the lack of attention to detail. The breakfast was average the following day.

• Stayed: April 2015, travelled as a couple
stevenharry, Owner at Chapters Hotel and Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2015

Dear SMH84

We are sorry to hear that you have not enjoyed your time here at Chapters... We would like to feedback to you regarding all your comments - We have spoken to the team on the day....

1. Rooms not ready - as it was a Bank Holiday weekend, we were full the evening before in the hotel and unfortunately a number of the guests checked out after the 11am check out time which did put our chambermaids behind in servicing the rooms ( I do know they had received prior requests for early check ins so they had made those rooms a priority and were working through the remainder of the rooms as quickly as they possibly could)

We have spoken to the team about communicating as and when rooms are ready and I believe our chambermaids went in and cleaned the rooms as quickly as they could when this point was identified to them.

2. The Sunday Lunch - as you can imagine again with it being Easter Sunday, we were very busy in the restaurant and bistro accommodating our dining guests. The different range of menus within the room guides do have times as to when they are available within the hotel.

3. With regards to the room - in a 250 year old building, all our guests rooms are constantly being updated, though we were not made aware of the broken shower by the guests who checked out on Sunday morning and it first came to light when you mentioned it to our Hotel Manager on Monday morning, and this was actioned immediately.

We have shown the team your comments and action points have been put in place to ensure similar events do not occur again