All reviews open fire the pub fish pie local produce apple juice fantastic food copper bath outside area friends wedding full english cooked to perfection breakfast was included classic fm beautiful room fantastic stay kent countryside pudding
Reviewed September 10, 2018

Stayed here for a couple of nights with a friends wedding party and it was really very good start to finish. Large party catered for on night one with no issues or pre ordering and the service was just excellent and put everyone at ease. Got to the room and something really different, spacious, really comfortable bed, copper bath and great touches like books and an old school radio. My only one criticism is I would have preferred my breakfast severed on a plate and not in a cast iron saucepan which I thought was all a bit style over substance, but really clutching at straws! The whole place is something different done really well.

Room tip: It's all good!
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed August 29, 2018

Great place as in: wonderful ambiance, great food, fab gins (although our favourite - Opihr - wasn't available!!) but some catches to be aware of. Having booked a room it means at least you don't have to worry about whether you can get in for food or not; that comes with the room. My husband has a bad back and found the bed uncomfortable, but that often happens and I won't hold it against the 5 Bells. The breakfast however is another thing... breakfast doesn't come any earlier than 8am. For us this was disappointing as we needed to leave at 8am. We figured we'd have 10 mins for a fast breakfast and then leave. However, the staff only rock up at 8am. Which means breakfast doesn't get underway until at least 8.15... All 4 rooms were booked for the night, and besides us there was a businessman who was also in a hurry to get away on time. He ordered poached eggs but by the time they came (8.15-ish) he had left.... very disappointing! Be aware if you are booking a room: do not be in a hurry to leave the next day. If you are not, I am sure breakfast would be marvellous. Unfortunately we didn't have time to find out for ourselves. Lots of people have mentioned how irritating it is that you cannot book a table - it is putting people off coming, and that together with breakfast being offered too late I'd say are the main 2 sticking points. Other than that it is fabulous. Our room, the Ortega, was wonderful, classic fm on as we walked in, 4 complimentary drinks bottles in the room (2 apple juice, 2 water) beautifully polished brass everywhere and very helpful and friendly staff. Can't fault it on that. Such a shame about breakfast!!

Room tip: only know one room: Ortega which is lush
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed August 21, 2018

Called into the 5 Bells to catch a meal late one Sunday evening. The menu had a wide selection of food and good choice of beer and the now mandatory Gin Bar. The staff were friendly and helpful even though the bar was still quite busy. Left to fine our own table to which our drinks were delivered. Waiter came over took our meal order which was delivered in due course and reasonable time. Would have loved to spend the afternoon there without the car

Thanks to the Kings Head in Ryde for sending us there as they had stopped serving food at 5 PM

Room tip: book in advance if able
Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed August 4, 2018 via mobile

We had an afternoon in this pub watching the world go by whilst enjoying great beer and wine. We ate in the evening, the food and service were superb. We stayed in one of the pubs four rooms (Bacchus) which along with everything else was perfect. Breakfast was brilliant, we will be back as this place is an absolute gem.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed July 21, 2018 via mobile

I have visited this pub many times over the years and the food is always good. There is also an extensive wine list with some excellent wines. My only complaint is that they won’t take bookings for less than 8 people. To me, this is sheer greed and shows a desire to pack in as many customers as possible throughout the session. Sometimes there is up to an hour’s wait, at which point I usually go elsewhere.

I really wish the management would put customer service first and take bookings. I would visit far more often if they did. As it is, the pub feels like an upmarket fast food restaurant rather than a relaxed evening out. This is a real shame as the food is so nice. I see I am not the first person to complain about the lack of bookable tables - come on, Five Bells, sort it please!

Date of stay: June 2018