“A day out at Port Lympne zoo park”

Port Lympne Reserve
Ranked #1 of 2 things to do in Lympne
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Port Lympne Hotel & Reserve offers exciting days out in Kent filled with discovery for the entire family. Set in 600 acres, and housing over 650 rare and endangered animals, Port Lympne offers a treat for everyone.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Baby buggy parking, Activities for young children, Wheelchair access, Food available for purchase
Reviewed April 5, 2018

What a lovely day out!
My daughter, small Grandson and I spent the day at this wonderful place.
The entrance fee is quite expensive but you can spend the whole day there, or alternatively buy a year long pass which enable you to go throughout the year for no more expense. The fees include safari trips on trucks which go about every 15 minutes and is fantastic.
The animal park is wonderful and the animals all look happy and healthy, having so much space to live in at the park.
They have breeding programmes for endangered animals, and of course the fees help with this.
There is an incredible Dinosaur park for the children (and adults) which I can highly recommend. My grandson LOVED it.
There are plenty of places to get snacks and places to sit and eat them.
The staffl are all so friendly and helpful. Overall, a highly recommended place to visit.

Date of experience: April 2018
2  Thank Susan C
HowlettsPortLympne, Guest Relations Manager at Port Lympne Reserve, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2018

Thank you for your lovely review and score.
We very much appreciate your kind comments and am so pleased to hear how much you enjoyed your visit.
We hope to welcome you all back very soon to Port Lympne.
Thank you once again.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,806)
All reviews
"animal park"
in 42 reviews
"large enclosures"

Reviewed April 3, 2018 via mobile

Fab to be so close to the gorillas!There were another 4 people (strangers to me but knew each other) doing the experience at the same time but we all got to give a gorilla some treats & spend time watching them in their nice warm inside bit (was a freezing cold day!). Their enclosure is fab with a massive inside bit with lots of hammocks, tyres etc, and they have a large outside area too with an impressive climbing area.
I was impressed by all the conservation work including reintroductions to the wild done by the Aspinall Foundation including Gorillas and Rhinos.
The Experience cost included park entry and I saw my first Bush Dogs & a few other animals which I didn’t expect as it was so cold! My only disappointment was not seeing any rhinos when I followed the path called something like rhino walk but then the sign about the group sent to the wild made me ok with that. Thanks for a nice day.

Date of experience: March 2018

Thank you very much for your positive score and review.

We are delighted to hear how much you enjoyed your feeding encounter which gives an wonderful opportunity to see our Gorillas at closer proximity. We offer a variety of feeding experiences and safaris which enable our guests to feed our animals and learn about the Park and our conservation work.

Reviewed March 31, 2018 via mobile

I’ve been coming here since I was young and loved it. I used to visit at least 4 times a year. As I live 20 mins down the road.

On 31/03/18 me and my partner come here (my partners first time ever here).

This place used to be brilliant.

They have had a massive make over with in 2 years or so and it’s not for the best either.

We will not be visiting here again. We will travel the distance and visit Howletts instead from now on.

The only good part was that the animals are well cared for as always (I work with animals myself) and that they have new species here too.

Sad to say that we will not be back any time soon.

This place used to be my hideaway as well.

Date of experience: March 2018

Thank you for taking time to leave your review.

It is disappointing to hear that you did not enjoy your visit to Port Lympne. The changes we have made are in response to visitor reviews which we listen to whether they are good or bad. As a charity please be assured that we continue to be as committed as we always have been to the enjoyment for our day visitors whilst needing to generate new income to fund our Parks and our overseas projects.

Thank you once again for your feedback and we hope that you enjoy your visits to Howletts.

Reviewed March 8, 2018

It is so refreshing to visit an Animal Park which concentrates on the Animals and their welfare and conservation, with habitats which allow as close to natural behaviour as possible. We have nothing but praise and admiration for the all the work the Aspinall Foundation carry out. We visited in Snow week! end of February 18 and stayed in a treehouse a wonderful experience and despite the weather, we managed to see a selection of animals who don't mind the cold, and even saw a few Gorillas who braved venturing out despite probably not liking the cold any more than we do. We cannot wait to book the next trip, hopefully in warmer weather.

Date of experience: February 2018
1  Thank RC2902
HowlettsPortLympne, Guest Relations Manager at Port Lympne Reserve, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2018

Dear RC2902,

Thank you for taking the time to leave such a positive review not only on our Tree houses but also on the work that we do here. It is always a pleasure to hear how appreciative our guests and visitors are regarding all the hard work our staff put in to take care of the animals and our guests. The park looked so beautiful in the snow but looks magnificent in the summer time and we hope that you will return then to experience it.

Thank you once again for your feedback.
Kind regards
The Tree House Team

See more reviews
Reviewed March 7, 2018 via mobile

We visited today (7th March 2018) and think we will have to come back in the summer to really get the best out of it . Today was bad weather and most of the animals were hiding in their enclosures so didn’t really see any apart from those that were out in the open , all the cafes and rest places were shut and there was a lot of maintenance work going on .
The place itself is huge , and I have to give them great credit for the enclosures , it is nice to see wild animals roaming around in vast enclosures, all the animals that we did see appeared happy and all had ample space to run around freely .
The dinosaur forest is great and interesting for toddlers as well my 18 month old loved that part.
One down side is there are a lot of hills and it’s not easy navigating a buggy around some of the paths .
Will visit In the summer to hopefully have a better day .

1  Thank neil r
HowlettsPortLympne, Guest Relations Manager at Port Lympne Reserve, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2018

Thank you for taking time to leave your review.
Our animals always have the choice to remain inside if they choose and so especially in poor weather they may be out of sight of our visitors.
The various outlets opening hours are governed by the predicted number of visitors according to the season and weather conditions. As a charity dependant on our visitors and supporters it is necessary to do this to avoid additional staffing and heating costs where possible.
We are pleased to hear that your toddler enjoyed the Dinosaur Forest and we look forward to welcoming you back when the weather is better.