All reviewsother guestsflood plainmagpie geeseair boatwet seasontop endarnhem landsafari styleagile wallabieslunch and dinnersea eaglesbird watchingknowledgeable guidesnorthern territoryhis teamswitch offquad bikes
Reviewed October 11, 2017

I had heard many good things about Bamurru Plains, so my expectations were high. I wasn't disappointed at all; in fact, my expectations were well and truly surpassed. It was wonderful to wake up to the beautiful sounds of the Australian bush. The Wallabies and water buffalo moving past just meters from my cabin to the symphony of Australian birdsong, I was emersed in the experience.
The guides at Bamurru were extremely knowledgeable, passionate and professional with a refreshing down to earth approach. They bought the 300 square kilometre station alive for me with their interpretive skills. Thank you, Leith, Sam and Justin.
I would also like to thank Paul, the chef for some of the yummiest food I have experienced eating in a long time.
I hope to be back again sometime.

Room Tip: all have beautiful views
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends
WildBush, Owner at Bamurru Plains, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2017

Thank you for your review - we love to get the feedback (good and bad but particularly the good!). For us it is all about connecting our guests to the wildlife and wilderness around them and in that the role of a professional field guide is fundamental, particularly in a location like Bamurru where there is so much wildlife and birdlife on offer. So I am obviously glad that your experience matched this.
Hope to see you back you again soon.

Kind regards

Reviewed September 10, 2017

My wife and I had the most amazing time at this lodge. It was everything promised and more. A huge highlight for me was the variety of bird life. As operators of Tasmanian Boat Charters, a similar water-based wilderness experience in Tasmania's Southwest, it was a pleasure to be looked after like a guest for a change (and in such style!).

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
WildBush, Owner at Bamurru Plains, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2017

Thank you for your review! As you will know, it makes such a difference having the personal comments of guests to relay the experience and the birdlife is extraordinary (even for those who are non-birders!) so it is much appreciated and the team always love to hear the feedback. Ours and your style our tourism is an important part of helping people appreciate the natural world and ultimately conserving it. Please spread the word.

Many thanks and kind regards

Reviewed September 9, 2017

I can't stop telling everyone what a great stay we had at a fantastic location for a truly unique Australian experience the wildlife was abundant the buffalo and setting is as close to the wilderbeast in Africa as you could get ,the staff are so happy they said they don't call it a job and it shows this in there everyday activity can't wait to go back highly recommend bamurra plains

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience at Bamurru - the African link is a strong one for us (though of course our species and landscape are so obviously Australian!) and I am so pleased that you felt the passion that we have for what we do and we love connecting guests to the environment and the stories it tells. Please come back and stay with us earlier in the year when you will see still more water in a landscape that feels very different.

Reviewed September 7, 2017

I took my Mum to Bamurru Plains to celebrate her 81st birthday and we had a very special time. The camp is located on the edge of a floodplain and the scenery is beautiful, I particularly loved waking up in my very open 'cabin' and being able to see wildlife as the sun rose behind some gnarly trees. The accommodation is simple but very comfortable - they are not luxury rooms (no minibars and TVs etc) but they have all that you need and they encourage you to be out, enjoying the surrounds which are the real reason for being here. The sides of the rooms are made of a type of mesh so you can smell the bush, hear the bush and as I said, wake to an uninterrupted sunrise view.
We got up early one morning to watch the sun rise from a Hide that is perched high in the trees and returned to camp for a delicious breakfast. In fact, every meal we had was delicious, chef Paul did an amazing job, his chocolate nemesis desert was spectacular and so were the lovely salads he made for lunch each day. Drinks and meals are included and the staff make sure you feel at home enough to help yourself, though one evening Noah made us a yummy passion fruit cocktail.
Now whilst the lodge staff, the food and the accommodation are all excellent at Bamurru, the real stand out are the guided activities! Our guide Sam took us on beautiful evening safari drives and air-boating over the floodplain, a first for Mum. We whizzed along and discovered crocs, birds and buffaloes. Every now and again Sam would stop and tell us about the floodplain or the wildlife and we came away having had a ball but having learnt a lot as well.
Thanks to all the gang at Bamurru Plains for making our stay so special - from the helpful girls in the booking office, to the team in camp and the guides ... you made it a great adventure and a birthday that my Mum (and I) will always remember!

Room Tip: All the rooms have great views.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
WildBush, Owner at Bamurru Plains, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2017

Thank you for posting such a detailed descriptive review of your recent stay with us - it is much appreciated and paints a wonderful and very personal picture of the Bamurru experience (always more authoritative than our marketing spiel!). As you have highlighted, it is a 'whole of team' effort from the first contact with the team in reservations to the chefs, lodge staff and the field guides who actually immerse you in the stories of the bush. There is an underlying passion to what we do and above and beyond the hardware of the lodge it is our people who truly make the experience.

I hope your mother enjoyed her 81st birthday - maybe we can persuade you to celebrate her 82nd with a walk at our South Australian property, Arkaba!

Yours sincerely

Reviewed August 16, 2017

In a nutshell: one of the most photogenic, achingly beautiful places. So much to do, but still time to chill. Great place to have screen-free dig-detox time with family. And have shared adventures. Love the airboat ride, is pure magic skimming over the water as the light and cloud play games with the reflections and literally thousands of birds (magic geese, whistling ducks, ibis, jabiru and many other) create a musical ruckus. And a walk and drive with our guide was fascinating - we learnt so much about the small things in nature and saw another side to Bamurru. Only a small number of other guests (only ten bungalows). Lovely to connect with them and their/our shared adventures over (fantastic!) meals. And sleep, incredibly comfortable beds, looking out to stars stars stars everywhere. And wake to the sounds of the bush. Safari in Australia. Love it.

Room Tip: All rooms. Just remember to put the camera down and see it through your own eyes...
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
WildBush, Owner at Bamurru Plains, responded to this reviewResponded August 31, 2017

Thank you for your beautiful review and comments. One of our aims when having guests to stay is that in some way we connect them with the bush and that fundamental link with the environment that sustains us - the digital detox aspect is part of that and does mean that guests have the chance to unwind from the distractions of working life and can focus their minds on the wildlife and spectacular landscape around them. As you say, it is very much 'Safari in Australia' and one of the most prolific wildlife experiences in the country (I think!).