US$83
US$69
US$80
  • Breakfast included
Savings alert! 38% below average rates

The price you found is 38% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$128/night.

US$64
US$51
  • Pool
TripAdvisor
All reviewshis teamthe ownersri lankaattention to detailour honeymooncakeboutique hotelevery aspectevery mealmoment you arrivehigh expectationsgarden suitewithout being intrusivenothing is too much troubleseared tunafive nightssmall touches
Reviewed February 12, 2018

We were really taken aback by an open arms welcome we received when we did a pre-visit two days ago with a 12 day visit in mind next year.There is a warmth energy and generosity of spirit in the air which attracts your attention straight away.The respect for the environment is evident everywhere - the layout of the hotel strategic and fengshui.
Contrary to some reviews the minimalist large rooms with discrete touches we can see are deliberate as they are meant to allow you to be distracted only by the beautiful nature outside.
Nick the owner gave us generously his time and attention.The best hotels and restaurants in the world are where the owner ( or chef ) is on site.
The delightful staff were so respectful and also gave us their time and told us how much they enjoyed their jobs
We really look forward to staying next February as soon as return airfares become available

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank petesaund
Buckinghamplace, Owner at Buckingham Place, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2018

A First!!

If briefly meeting you both and this lovely review are anything to go by, we can all look forward to welcoming you back and to having good company next February! Never before have I replied to or even seen, a review written a year prior to guests arriving. I’m touched and greatly cheered by your enthusiasm for the place whilst somewhat humbled by your praise.

Over forthcoming months please feel free to contact us with any questions and, do let us know of any special requirements or wishes for your stay. In the meantime, I’ll simply say thanks you and wish you both a very happy 2018.

I shall look forward to next February...

Warm regards and thanks,

Reviewed February 8, 2018

We don’t normally go back to hotels we have visited, as they are rarely as good second time round. This is different. We last visited 5 years ago and revisited it for 3 nights in February in room 6. We are glad we did.
Basically this place is really special for many reasons.
The rooms are essentially large chalets spaced round the grounds with views of Rekawa lagoon, and the local wildlife (we saw peacocks, monkeys, woodpeckers). They are large, well air conditioned, with a good balcony and very spacious bathroom. Some bathrooms are open to the sky, but ours was not, which we prefer. The rooms and all the buildings are made out of concrete, which is clean and modern but the design will not be to everyone's taste.
The main building, built since we last visited, is called “oceanfront” and is a lovely open area with restaurant and pool with a spectacular view of palm trees and the Indian Ocean. The pool is long and there are adequate numbers of sun loungers even if the pool area is not especially big.
Then there is Nick himself, a charmingly host who is so interesting to talk with and whose vision made this happen. His well trained staff are very polite and attentive.
The food is superb, large portions of top quality local and international food. The evening meals are special, the menu revolves every 5 days - not cheap but top quality of easily western standards.
There is a new spa, which we tried and was very good - an hour's full body massage very professionally done for 6K rupees.
The area outside the hotel is quiet and rural and ideal for a walk spotting the profuse bird life on the local reservoirs. We took a tuktuk to Tangalle which was interesting for a contrast. The beach is beautiful and totally unspoilt but not suitable for swimming.
Finally, we must say this whole place is so peaceful and relaxing, due in no small part to the allowing kids under 6, so no screaming babies or restless toddlers. This is one of the key reasons we returned here, and we wish other adult-focused boutique hotels did the same.
It all sounds a bit too lovely, but it is really good. It is not perfect - the buildings look rather concretey, the toiletries are quirky local ones, the fittings are rustic rather than marble plush and there is no personal butler if that is your thing. But if you fancy a few days of quiet relaxation at the end of a Sri Lanka tour we cannot think of a better place. We hope to return again, hopefully sooner than 5 years! Thanks Nick, well done.

Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
Buckinghamplace, Owner at Buckingham Place, responded to this reviewResponded February 15, 2018

Greatest Compliment…

I never take for granted how lucky we are, that travelers don’t just check into the first nice hotel they see - we’d all be out of a job if they did! That guests find their way to us once is good fortune I remind everyone; that they do so again (and then sometimes again) is the greatest compliment they could pay the hotel I believe. It’s a big world with far too many hotels.

When we first met this time, in the bar, you seemed surprised when I recalled your names. Actually I surprised myself! Truthfully, I hadn’t seen my guest list but as luck would have it, I’d spotted your names on the diary a few days earlier and I recalled them - just in time. Not bad for 50 something?? Sometimes we recall guests names sometimes we don’t (we don’t ‘profile’ you here!) but the point is, we’re all impressed when guests return and there’s something else too. Something hard to translate from the culture here but simply, when people return it is significant. I’ve noticed in others and can’t help myself I’ve been here so long, we seem to treat returning guests with slightly more reverence whilst simultaneously, be more at ease with them. Since opening Oceanfront I/we’ve been paid many wonderful compliments by literally hundreds of visitors, but none have meant more than those by guests whom knew the place as it was and would have “come back anyway” to quote you if I may.

So thank you, thanks for coming once, twice, and hopefully a third time. Your valued custom, supportive review and good company mean more to us than you might imagine. Do come again but, please don’t wait another 5 years? My powers of recall may not endure!!

Reviewed February 8, 2018

Buckingham Place is not to be missed. This is a boutique hotel and restaurant where customer satisfaction is premier. The hotel proprietor spends the day meeting and greeting guests, and making sure service is exemplary. The staff is excellently trained and no request is too small for them. The restaurant is outstanding, meals are beautifully presented and delicious. The spa is lovely and excellent....I had a leg and foot massage to die for and a wonderful manicure. We didn't want to leave....its breathtakingly beautiful. A fabulous place to enjoy a honeymoon, special birthday or anniversary!

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank BettyAdler

Our Privilege...

If I boast anything, it’s that our guest lists are ‘tops’. Not they are stuffed with the rich and famous you understand - though we welcome them too, it is simply that our guests are tops in terms of diversity, they come from every walk of life. This season many more Americans have discovered Sri Lanka than ever before, adding to the hotels diversity with their unique zest for life. By coming here you sustain us - thank you, but it’s your dynamism, warmth and true appreciation for what we’re doing here that motivates and reassures us - that we’re fit and ready for many more of your country’s great women and men! We were privileged to host you and we’d welcome you all back in a shot! You were huge fun to have around and I for one, relished my short time in your company.

Hoteliers tend to be uber-critical and impossible to please - myself included! I’m delighted therefore, to read a fabulous thumbs up from a hospitality trooper. Your praise carries extra weight for me and I thank you again for it.

Thank you for choosing us, praising us and for brightening up our week. Your generous invitation to stopover should I ever visit DC I shall remember you by.

Please come again...

Reviewed February 4, 2018

We arrived tired, stressed and pale after a busy year. We left, relaxed, refreshed and slightly less pale. This was our second visit and it felt like going home. Indeed the welcome we received was perfect, the team were genuinely pleased to see us as were we to see them all again. Nick leads his team with passion and it shows. Nothing is too much trouble, the food is superb, the standard throughout is first class and the atmosphere is sheer bliss. We love this place and have already booked our “repeat prescription” next year when we will be bringing 4 family members to share a little bit of paradise. Nick, please send our warmest wishes to the team, stay happy and healthy and we will see you next year.

Room Tip: All the rooms are fantastic!
  • Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MandyB1966
Buckinghamplace, Owner at Buckingham Place, responded to this reviewResponded February 8, 2018

A nice problem to have…

Dear Kind Authors of: “Wunderschöne Anlage (trans. beautiful grounds)” / “The best medicine!” / “Mind Blowing” / “Unique paradise on a secluded beach” and “One of the Great Hotels”...

To say I’m overjoyed this morning would understate the fact, having read your incredible reviews end to end – they’re outstanding and I’m humbled by all of you. My excuse for not replying earlier and personally as I prefer, is simply my dilemma – when the hotel is busy as it is, how do I share time with todays’ guests AND show full appreciation for those who’ve moved on but moved me too? Those I had pleasure sharing time with will I hope, understand where I’m coming from. As for me I must admit, it’s a nice problem to have - being too busy to work!

For some, the hotel and, more to the point my life running it I’m told, is an enviable dream - long may both continue I say! But… for 60 Sri Lankans learning, developing and working proudly (year-round), Buckingham Place is more, it’s a lifeline and for many an opportunity unimagined or easy to come by. Most of the team lacked safe and secure employment, prior experience or relevant qualifications to join the industry. Others lacked challenge and/or fulfillment from their working lives. Yesterday, during a team meeting, we calculated (to our surprise) the number of members and dependents benefiting from this place to number at least 240!! Your traveler £’s $’s and Euros go a long way here and I thought you’d like to know, and whilst I may not have time to write personally I reply with no less appreciation or respect for your support - for sustaining us with valuable good custom and, an incredibly generous Trip Advisor endorsement - thank you very much.

I’m lucky, I get to sit around all day chatting with lovely guests like you. Thank you from me but above all… thank you from my hardworking team.

Please come again soon and keep spreading the word!!

Ayubowan

Reviewed February 3, 2018 via mobile

I don’t do TripAdvisor but made an exception here.
We stayed here for 2 nights Just gone. It was unreal. The staff. The grounds. The service. The food. The spirit.
Nick and his team have created an experience here that you will remember for a life time.
He has 60 employees working here under him. Creating employment in an area that probably does not offer much.

He is everyday there ensuring standards are kept to his liking. He works the room and makes time for all guests. He is engaging and interested without been intrusive.

The attention to detail in everything is so special. The little touches that make you feel loved. There are other 5 star hotels near by but none with the spirit and soul of here.

We ate breakfast, lunch and dinner for the 2 days and all the food was amazing. The menu has a great mix of both Sri Lankan and more western style dishes.

The rooms are very large with some fantastic views of the lagoon. The design is very clean and respectful of its surroundings. Lots of polished concrete and stone. The bathroom with rain shower and bath was beautiful.

We managed to catch a green turtle nesting on day 2 right in front of the hotel. Laying her eggs and heading back to the ocean. Amazing.

Thanks to Nick and the team for giving us some beautiful memories.

Just book it. Enjoy it. You only live once.

Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple

A nice problem to have…

Please come again soon and keep spreading the word!!

Ayubowan