All reviewsfishing boatsinfinity pooltop floorminute walktuk tuknice poolexcellent locationlarge bathroomvaried menusri lankaperfect placerecommend this hotelfree bikesoverlooking the oceanseafoodturtle watchingfull moon
Reviewed April 15, 2018 via mobile

This place is beautiful, gorgeous view from the second floor, clean and spacious rooms and good shower. Easy walk down to the beach - although the ocean is quite rough & not really swimmable. Friendly and helpful staff, you can order your meal for dinner at lunch time and tell them what time you’d like it in your room. Gorgeous pool. Highly recommended.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed April 12, 2018 via mobile

Love this place.. think tranquility, sea breeze, long beach walks w/doggies and friendlies staff ever.

Request a top floor bungalow, preferably the one furthest away from the lobby for the best view.

Looking forward to coming back for another relaxing stay.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed April 2, 2018

We had a long day of traveling and finally arrived to Anathaya and it was exactly what we were looking for. We were welcomed with a fresh fruit drink and a cold wash cloth. We checked in to a simple but very clean suite. The fan and air conditioning were a great welcome. Our room was on the ground floor just off of the pool. The food here is wonderful - very tasty, satisfying and the menu is extensive. Breakfast is included and it's super filling with fresh fruit, toast, and a variety of options you can choose from, served table-side. Our room was always immaculately cleaned and we loved how quiet the hotel was. It was the perfect stay away from a large city, but close enough, 750-800 rupees (3-4USD) by Tuk Tuk to get into Tangelle. English is well spoken here by some of the staff and our favourite staff member who works in the bar/restaurant is Samith. He is hilarious and super friendly. There's a good lending library here as well. The pool is a great temperature and we went for a night swim under the full moon. It's beautiful here. We saw a couple of families with a baby and they seemed to be having a great time.

Room Tip: All rooms are great!
  • Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed February 12, 2018 via mobile

What a beautiful stay! With only 8 rooms total in the hotel, this gave such a serene and more private feel than some of the other beach areas in Sri Lanka. The swimming pool was a beautiful infinity pool that looked out to the ocean. Poolside had great lawn chairs with umbrellas for shade. It takes a 2 minute walk down some stairs to get to the beach. There’s only one lagoon in the beach that is safe to swim. There are about 50 small fishing boats that dock on this beach... be emotionally prepared to see stingrays getting chopped to bits alive :( however the whole beach is easily walkable with nice sand and it’s clean. I ate all meals at the hotel daily and each one was delicious. The banana lassi and banana pancake was really yummy! A special thanks to the staff named Gayan, Samith and Dashika for their kindness, hospitality and professionalism. I got a bad sunburn my last day and Gayan was so kind enough to bring me homemade coconut oil to help me... that’s going above and beyond to help a customer! I would choose to stay here again if I return to Sri Lanka.

Stayed: February 2018
Reviewed February 5, 2018

I totally agree with some of the recent bad reviews from the end of 2017 about this hotel that they practice overbooking. I had booked two rooms at Ananthaya Beach through Bookings.com for the 29th Dec, 2017. I had booked these rooms about 3 weeks before the date of stay. After I landed in Srilanka on the 27th Dec, I was informed by Booking.com that Ananthaya has cancelled my reservation. The reason mentioned by Booking.com was that the hotel had overbooked themselves. There was no message, no mail or phone call from Ananthaya Beach, let alone any apology or help of any kind. I had my family with young children and my old parents and was indeed in a difficult situation as getting good alternative bookings at the last minute, especially in high season is extremely difficult.Finally I managed to book Sooriya Resort and Spa on my own initiative as I was lucky that Sooriya opened up two rooms for the 29th Dec. In fact I was lucky because Sooriya Resort & Spa was close to the location of Ananthya and in fact is a better resort.
I would simply warn everyone not to book at Ananthaya Beach as I would not trust this hotel because they cancel bookings at the last minute and do not even bother to communicate and help. Beware of this hotel!!!
I had lots of email exchanges with Booking.com about this hotel and suggested Booking.com that they blacklist this hotel. But I guess, the business interests prevail over customer care and satisfaction.

Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family