“hidden gem”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed November 18, 2016

Unlikely looking lane leads to this pub/restaurant. Two or three course lunch was fantastic value and well enjoyed. Good quick service and well kept ales.Very much worth a visit

Reviewed November 15, 2016 via mobile

Went to the Barn for lunch with friends, ate of the lunch menu under a tenner for three courses and coffee superb menu and well cooked, service was prompt and friendly.
All in all very impressed with the quality and all for under a tenner

Reviewed November 13, 2016

Roasts were not good. Poor size, beef was tough, the guy on the bar made us feel as tho he was too important to serve us mean orders. The girl serving us was a few sandwiches short of a picknick, it was a real challenge for her to split our bill 3 ways. there seemed very little or no staff training. It's a shame as the place used to be decent.

3  Thank Jamie G
Reviewed November 7, 2016 via mobile

Went here last week 4 of us, they are short staffed but the staff that was working were very friendly, we were greeted and taken to our table, sam introduced herself and drinks order was taken straight away , we was also told at this point that there where a few things out of stock due to a menu change, we were also told there was a specials board and we was given time to look at our menu, when the drink Came to our table same then toke our order, there food came out within half hour which was perfect food was very nice I had the hunters chicken friends had steaks good portion sizes, we was then asked if we wanted more drinks which was nice as we didn't have to leave our table at all, soon as we finished sam came and cleared our plates, we was then asked if we wanted deserts tea or coffee, we were to full so we kindly declined and asked for our bill, overall good service, lovely place very welcoming, the only couple of things i need to say is that the boards that the steaks come on doesn't look appealing and that you need more specials board for the seating areas by the fire and around the corner, will be back soon thank you.

Date of visit: October 2016
1  Thank hannahjones88
Reviewed November 7, 2016

I visited The Barn a few months ago and have to say my experience and review on the restaurant was to say bad is an understatement.

HOWEVER....... After my review I was contacted by the new manager Nick who was keen to establish why I had said what I had said and wanted to put things right with both staff training menus and the general dining experience for the diners. Obviously if there were training needs etc they needed to know.

We visited the restaurant again on Friday 2 adults and a 2 year old, straight away we found the staff attentive and eating in the lower area of the restaurant was much more appealing than up the top by the open fire which I personally think is better suited if you are there to have a drink or two.

The restaurant had around 8 tables filled at this time but it was only 6pm and it was getting busier as we were leaving, however the food was served quickly not just to us but all tables. The full menu was available where as on my last visit a lot of items were sold out which made it difficult to choose what we wanted.

On Friday we ordered Nacho Chicken and Garlic Mushrooms for starters which were both tasty hot and well presented.

For Main my partner had mixed grill which he had previously and the steak was great no gristle. I also just had steak both meals were cooked as requested and also well presented. Our little one had a burger and it tasted beefy not like a cheap processed one

I have to say that the whole dining experience was 100% better than my previous experience the staff seem trained and knowledgable and know the menu. The restaurant seemed cleaner and the waiting times were great not too fast that you feel that you are being rushed but enough time between courses.

I can not thank the staff enough for taking my previous comments on board and listening to customers. If they hadn't I know I would not have returned, however I am very pleased I did. I am now thinking of a family pre Christmas meal here as the menu for both pre Christmas and Christmas Day were both a good selection and also value for money only £49.99 for Christmas Day.

Thanks again to Nick and his team we had a pleasurable dining experience with you!!!

2  Thank Emmz78
Edwardspubsltd, General Manager at The Barn, responded to this reviewResponded November 9, 2016

Hello Emma,

I'm so pleased that your return visit was a good experience, sorry I wasn't there that day but I was in Scotland sampling a few whiskeys. (Annual leave)

It makes me very happy to hear that everything went well and te staff looked after you, even more so that you enjoyed the food and we would be more than happy to accommadate you over the christmas period.

We look forward to having the pleasure of your company again soon.

Regards