“Was Good, but could have been so much better”
Review of Disneyland Park

and up
Disneyland Paris 1-Day Ticket
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Although this Disney theme park, originally named Euro-Disney, was met with protest following its opening in 1992, Disneyland Paris is now frequented by large crowds drawn by technologically advanced rides and attractions.
Manchester, UK
69 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 174 helpful votes
“Was Good, but could have been so much better”
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Firstly, let me start by saying that the 3 of us had a very good time, and most importantly, my 6 year old son had "the best holiday of his life". I was glad we went, and over all we enjoyed ourselves, howeer ot could, and in my opinion should have been so much better.

See me other reviews for restaurant and hotel reviews.

Arriving:

Arrived by Eurostar direct to station next to Disneyland Paris. Signage could have been very much clearer, should have been a lot easeir to get out and find out hotel (Disneyland hotel). I thought some of the signage was poor and often pointing in the wrong direction. But then again, perhaps I was grumpy because it was raining, very hard,

Once we'd checked in (Disneyland Hotel, highly recommended, VIP Fast Pass as we had a club room, a definite must have), we made our way into the park.

I was very impressed, it looks ace. Main Street is brilliant, and very well themed.

The different 'lands' were all done very well, the rides were good, but I was a bit disappointed that there weren't better rollercoasters for 'grown ups' but then perhaps DLP is more aimed at younger families than those in USA.

I cannot recall all of the rides we went on, but here are the highlights and low lights, so to speak.

Big Thunder Mountain. Excellent, worth the queue, even with the Fast Pass. Try it at night, it makes it a lot scarier.

Hollywood Tower Hotel (in Studios Park). Awesome, hated / loved every second of it. Fast Pass available.

Crushes Coaster (in Studios Park). Brilliant, very fast and the fact that you can ride most of it backwards gave a new meaning to the word Scared. However no Fast Pass, the queues are MASSIVE. Go very early in the morning.

Flying Carpets of Agrabah (Studios) standard fairground ride, 6 year liked it. Fast Pass.

Slinky Dog (Studios) Bobbins, 6 year old thought it was 'OK'

Its a Small World - Average, irritating song will stay with me until I die.

Pirates of the Caribbean - Rubbish, was expecting a roller coaster, got a gondola ride with plastic figures. Fast Pass.

Phantom Manor - impressive when floor starts dropping away, everything else is rubbish. Long queues, no idea why.

Riverboat - Good, gently cruise round the lake.

Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse (not a ride, just a walk) good actually. Great views.

Alice Labyrinth - good, annoying and good.

Carousel - Standard but massive queues, partially down to the fact that they only fill is about 75% full. Why?

Peter Pan Flight - Good, best of the sit down and be transported through lands type ride. fast Pass

Pinnochio - Rubbish, probably the worst of the sit down and be transported through lands type ride.

We also enjoyed playing in the Pocohontas Playground (very good) and the Pirates Beach Playground, not as good.

The Pirate ship is a disappointment, was expecting to explore, but instead you can only go on the deck, but the cave system nearby is brilliant. Especially brilliant when you stumble across to teenagers 'necking' in one of the caves and your 6 year old son shouts "Get a Room!".

The daily parades are pretty good, however I was disappointed that all of the characters in the park were 'scheduled' and the queues were often massive. I thought they'd be wandering about more.

We beneifitted by staying in the Disneyland hotel, which was very good. and had Character breakfasts and some evening meals.

The best thing about the whole 4 days was the Disney Dreams show projected onto the castle. On our last night we secured a good spot at about 8pm and waited it out, to be treated with a very impressive show. Must not be missed.

So there are a few negaitives and a load of positives there, but my biggset gripes were:

1. State of the Toilets. Honestly some were like the bowels of hell. in 5 days, the 3 of us never saw a single cleaner / toilet attendant. We saw toilets blocked to overflowing, with no toilet paper (a lot), with no seat covers (almost all), with broken hand dryers (often) with no hand towels (almost all), the sinks were generally utterly soaking, so a child would get his sleeves drenched just by leaning on the work tops.

For the cost of entry, I'd have thought clean well served toilets were an absolute must.

2. Cost and quality of food. Honestly? It was utterly disgraceful. You'll pay €50 for 2 hotdogs, a brownie, a Sprite and 2 cups of Tea. Seriously. We ate at the Silver Spur Steakhouse, which cost us €150 for 3, it was abysmally bad. See my full review.

The best food was the Earl of Sandwich cafe in Disney Village, or the Buffet in our hotel. Both reviewed in full.

The standard of food is dreadful and they'll charge you easily 4x the odds for it. Captive Audience, but so disappointing considering it is in France (world captial of food) and is an American theme park (usually at least decent fries!).

Would I go again? No. Am I glad we went? Yes.

5 Thank lipschick

3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Park visit”
Reviewed 23 April 2012

I'm a Disney fan and always have a good time but taking friends who hadn't been before a little disappointed with so many areas closed for refurb.

Wakefield, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best 50th birthday ever!!”
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Stayed in a villa this time owned by Citea,nice ,cheap and cheerful,which lets face it is all you need,you are in the park most of the time!
The Park itself must be struggling for attendance as it was very quiet,and we were allowed to go around again on certain rides and hardly any queues,which our kids loved!

Garessio, Italy
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Expensive Line Waiting Experience”
Reviewed 22 April 2012

I am surprised the management at Disneyland have not incorporated the latest in line and crowd control. It is hard to wait for 40 minutes in a line with a child. Makes the experience tortuous and you will stand there telling your child to be patient and vowing never to return to Disneyland. It is worth a transatlantic ticket to go to the parks in America that have better roller coasters/rides and less line wait times. Hellish experience. We have vowed to never go back.

4 Thank Semprebene
London, United Kingdom
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“Disappointing, dirty and overpriced”
Reviewed 22 April 2012

My husband was part of the management team that opened Disney 20 years ago. He had been looking forward to going back with our five year old but instead felt let down. I was glad that he -- a Disneyphile -- felt that way because it validated my own sense of disappointment. Why would we not go back and not recommend Disney to others? Let us count the ways...

* expensive. At £51pp, you expect certain standards. Read on...
* crowded. In April post-school holidays, we still only managed eight rides in the day. You do the math.
* smoking. It appears they allow people to smoke in a children's theme park. Say something to a smoker blowing in your face and you risk an uprising.
* cleanliness: what can I say? It was filthy and toilets more so. We did not see cleaners until evening.
* food offer: poor quality, limited choice and extortionate (and we are from central London...)
* several rides out of action

Grosso modo...we won't be back and for a family with strong Disney ties and memories, that is saying a lot.

2 Thank Canoemum