All reviews the river reasonable price set meal wrong side good size spent a week middle of town main road castle terrace parking france wifi ariege euros niaux pyrenees
Reviewed March 22, 2018

We ate here as non-guests. It was a group and we had pre-ordered a set meal. Service was good and it was pleasant to see the waiter dressed in an evening suit. The whole place is charmingly old-fashioned and the prices reasonable (rooms too). Although they made a good effort for a double birthday celebration, the food did seem a bit drab. Nothing bad but all a bit pedestrian.

Date of stay: March 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed March 17, 2018

I stayed in this hotel for 1 week during a trip to France. It was a purely random choice as I knew absolutely nothing about the area or the hotel. I just picked it as it appeared to be at the end of the railway line and I did not want to drive in France (wrong side of road for me and I knew of others with bad experiences). I have to say that I really lucked out. The town, the area and the hotel were amazing. There is an actual castle in the middle of the medieval town !. We spent a week there and medieval cities are meant to be walked - even on the last day we were discovering new gems just 100 metres from the hotel. We even discovered an Irish pub that served Guiness on that last day. There are old castles from the European crusade against the Cathyrs in the 13th Century. And the train line actually ends in Pyrenees were you can take "Le Train Jaune" around the pyrenees. Throw in an underground river, vin3yards, a magnificient view of the snow covered Pyrenees on the train ride south, a museum featuring medieval tools and techniques and what more could you want. A definite return trip on the cards ! This was a trip in October but some time ago

Room tip: Choose the side over the river.
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed October 7, 2017

The room was fine, comfortable bed. The view over the river was very attractive but pretty noisy because of main road across the river. The staff were pleasant but supper was cold and even when reheated it wasn't very appetising. There was a function on that evening but when you order a menu for over 30 euros you expect some quality! Breakfast was also disappointing with food served from the display cupboard which must have been set just below freezing point, very cold hard boiled egg and ham. The coffee was served luke warm in an open jug. These are problems which could be resolved with just a little effort, which I hope they see to.
On a positive note, the hotel is very pleasantly set in the middle of town surrounding by attractive streets of townhouses and just a few minutes walk from the chateau.

Room tip: choisir une chambre pas sure la riviere si vous aimez le calme.
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed October 3, 2017 via mobile

It could be a gem of a hotel but...
1) the rooms are dated
2) the river-view rooms are noisy
2) the restaurant is simply disappointing, the food was served cold, soggy vegetables, unappetising

Avoid if you can!

Reviewed August 4, 2017

This is a good three-star hotel in a convenient central location. Parking might be difficult - check with the hotel. I was on a walking trip.
The hotel is slightly old-fashioned but all the facilities are good. My room was of a good size and comfortable. The ensuite bathroom with separate WC was modern and well fitted out. The free wifi worked well. There was no a/c in the room. I had a view over the river - probably worth asking for that.
Breakfast is OK. But if you like good French bread; it could be fresher. My friend said the coffee was weak. Perhaps ask them for a cup from the espresso machine?
Reception is excellent. Perfect English. Most of the staff in the hotel seem to speak at least passable English: and are patient in dealing with customers whose French might not be too good.
I was booked on half-board by the organisers of my walking tour. I wouldn't normally have supper in a hotel but the two suppers I had here were excellent and good value. The serving staff in the restaurant were wonderful. It would be worth investigating half-board terms or at least booking a table for an evening meal. The restaurant was busy. Try to get a table overlooking the river.

Room tip: Ask for room overlooking the river.
Date of stay: August 2017