“Vegans - Be Very Careful”

Two Buoys Bistro and Hands on Art Studio
Ranked #31 of 368 Restaurants in Saint Julian's
Reviewed April 4, 2018 via mobile

This restaurant has a nice outlook and separate vegan / vegetarian menu. Our waitress claimed to have been vegetarian for years so we thought we were safe!

Unfortunately, my husband got half way through his pasta before finding crab in it. They offered him a dessert for free. He ordered the vegan cheesecake and got half way through it before we noticed the waitress stopping dead and looking horrified before running off. He had to track her down 10 minutes later when she admitted that they had served him a non-vegan cheesecake. It was the fact that she had chosen to withhold this information that upset us greatly.

It is potentially dangerous to serve non vegan food on a vegan menu, especially shellfish as people have allergies and pregnant women might think they are safe etc.

We gave them a chance to redeem themselves at the end by giving feedback to the manager but were only met with rudeness and defensiveness. The waitress said 'well at least I didn't charge you extra for soya milk' before running off crying. Even though they did begrudgingly amend the bill I feel there was a distinct lack of grasp of the seriousness of the mistakes and lack of professionalism. The manager was even shouting down the stairs at us as we left! You really can't write this!

I am leaving this review after a great deal of thought as I really feel I ought to warn other vegans and our feedback was so poorly received.

2  Thank Sophie B

Reviewed April 4, 2018

We've had several meals at this restaurant both during the last week and on our previous visit to Malta. Every one has been delicious and served by caring staff in a delightful setting overlooking the Bay.

Reviewed April 2, 2018

Second time here, the food is good and reasonably priced,, and you can sit looking over the bay. If you are veggie or vegan they look after you and have a selection of dishes on offer.

Reviewed March 30, 2018

As a vegetarian, dining out can be a disappointment but not so at the Two Buoys Bistro. We received a warm welcome from Suzanne, who was enthusiastic in talking through the array of veggie and vegan options.

My husband and I shared a Starter, a bowl of butternut squash soup, which silky and flavoursome. For our Main, I opted for the Pea risotto with root vegetables and my husband had lamb shank and cauliflower cheese. Both dishes were delicious, using high quality primary ingredients and beautifully presented with garnish of nasturtium flowers, home-grown in the restaurant's herb garden.

We were impressed by the attentive and friendly service. The only fly in the ointment spoiling our experience was that people were allowed to smoke on the patio where people were dining, which meant we had to go inside so lost the harbour view.

1  Thank thesquirrel01
Reviewed March 26, 2018

Dined here twice while staying in St. Julian's. Wonderful place run by two brothers Nicky and Keith and their Sister Michelle. Very imaginative menus with friendly, professional service. Fresh fish served nice and moist and filleted beside the table. The pulled pork
Pappardelle is delicious, rump of veal on a bed of rice so tasty. The truffle and mushroom croquette starter is gourmet. Generous sides of roasted veggies and creamed cauliflower. I highly recommend this restaurant. Dessert of BIramisu - spelling is correct is a variation of the classic Italian Tiramisu, the addition of beer being the main difference ( quite delicious.

1  Thank limerickjames