1,599 results
All reviews spa break beautiful grounds spa facilities sauna and steam room on arrival lovely hotel relaxing stay bottle of wine bed and breakfast an overnight stay wedding venue wedding reception following morning executive room family room treatment meal
Reviewed April 2, 2018 via mobile

Booked this spa day for my mums birthday as a treat. When booking at the time no one on the desk could work the booking system despite there being 6 staff attending. After around 50 mins I was booked in only to be told there was no change and that I could pay extra just now and get my change later or Pay less and balance on the day. As inconvenient as this was I was finally booked In albeit without a receipt. I was promised a receipt the next day via email. I didn’t get one. Then when I called a few days later to ask for my booking to be confirmed by email they had me booked in a different name... after much back and forth with booking times I was told to call on the morning of the spa day to arrange my times. I was extremely busy the run up to this however I tried to call a few times only to be told they couldn’t access my booking and I was still booked in a different name so I was booked in all over again. How’s frustrating! Then on the morning if the spa day I called to arrange the treatment booking ( like I was advised )and told again I was still booked under the wrong name but EVENTUALLY managed to get treatment times book despite the later times I didn’t want. My mum and I used the pool and sauna however the ladies shower area and toilet was flooded to our ankles and I found myself mopping the floor around 3-4 times. However I didn’t mention it as I was trying to make this a special day for my mum and thought a complaint would ruin it. We were later lead to our treatments and I was swiftly seen to by a lovely thearapist lynn. I was left to change and she cane back and offered to spit my treatment time in two with a massage and foot treatment. I was around 10-15 mins into my treatment when I heard my mum outside the room looking for her thearapist who had left her in the room alone for all that time. I was upset as this was supposed to be her special day and not adding stress. 15 mins is just too long and eating into her treatment time! However after our treatments we made our way to the cocktail bar for afternoon tea. To say I was disappointed is an understatement. I could have made a better job myself for under £3 each. The sandwiches were very small and dry. The scones were microwaved and felt elasticated, the jam looked and tasted like savers jam and the truffles were disgusting. On top of this when we asked to have prosecco we were of course expecting to pay the extra, however the server said ‘it needs to be paid just now’. We were in our robes with all our belongings in the locker room. It wasn’t like we were going to run away. The server reluctantly agreed to us coming back to pay. We went back, got changed and paid the cocktail bar the additional £14 and left feeling really disappointed in our visit. Wouldn’t recommend this experience to anyone.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
2  Thank Natnmac
acarse903010, Front Office Manager at Macdonald Crutherland House, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2018

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your recent comments. We are hospitality professionals who pride ourselves on delivering a world class experience. For that reason, the comments are troubling and will certainly be looked into. Please do accept our apologies for not being able to deliver an exemplary service. I have taken note of your comments regarding spa service. Thank you for bringing these to our attention. We will address these with the spa department to improve the quality and service that we offer to our guests.

Kind Regards,

Andrew Carse,
Front Office Manager

Reviewed April 1, 2018

Myself and my two sister's booked afternoon tea for Saturday 31/03/2018 as a belated birthday treat for my sister. On arrival the waitress in the restaurant had no details of our booking (this was done the previous Thursday via telephone). The waitress went to find someone to help who also had no information on our booking, third member of staff arrived and we were finely seated in a very empty restaurant. The tray arrived and to say I was not impressed was an understatement!!!!!. The sandwiches had to go back as they were stale, the coffee all be it served in a carafe was luke warm, we had to ask on two separate occasions for the champagne that was to be served with the cake and sandwiches. Total finger sandwiches consisting of egg mayo x3 ham white bread x3 ham brown bread x 3 the smallest cakes you have ever seen and three very average scones served with one small jam and butter no cream. The sum total for this very poultry tray of sandwiches, small cakes scones coffee and average champagne was £84.0 totally overpriced!!!!!. I WILL NOT be recommended this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank Caroline C
Reviewed March 27, 2018

Arrived late at the Macdonald Crutherland house tonight after a nightmare journey and the welcome and customer service was outstanding. The reception manager, Andrew, added a delicious pudding and some lovely Elemis products to my room service order...with a card expressing his concern for my mindset and hoping that these helped to cheer me up....what a lovely, kind thoughtful gesture. Room is also nice...so will definitely stay here again and recommend to anyone and everyone

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled on business
1  Thank tiredandfrustrate707
Reviewed March 25, 2018

We have stayed in this hotel twice and on both occasions had a wonderful time. The reception staff are always very helpful with a special mention for Stacy who arranged an upgrade to a suite and drinks for us on our 2nd trip.

The kingsize room and the suite were very spacious, the bedding was comfortable and the bathroom modern and clean.

The breakfast was really nice with a large selection of hot and cold food and drinks. Again the staff were really friendly and attentive.

Finally the pool area is nice and relaxing with a sauna and steam room. Towels are provided and the changing rooms have lockers which use a card so we didn't need to worry about carrying change.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed March 22, 2018

Stayed in this lovely hotel for a few days this week, I used to stay local and it always had a reputation of an expensive hotel, but I got it on a special offer for b&b at a price cheaper than the local premier inn, just disappointed I never booked a day earlier when the hotel had a great offer for d,b&b. We had dinner on the 2 nd night for our 26th anniversary and the meal was fantastic, 3 courses for £25 on the fixed menu very high quality food. The breakfast was also very good, high quality ingredients and great service.
We used the pool both days and it is great area to relax, steam room was abit too hot on 2nd day but overall great experience.

Stayed: March 2018