“Fantastic food and service but rooms a bit of a let down.”

Doubletree by Hilton, Dunblane-Hydro
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Dunblane
Reviewed 15 January 2012

On arrival we were checked in by a not very friendly, but efficient receptionist who gave us hot cookies (very nice!). We made our own way to our room which was on the second floor (I had specifically asked NOT to have a room in the Stirling Wing due to the comments on Trip Advisor). Bathroom was spacious with modern fittings but there was mould on the tile grout. Shower was great and the Crabtree & Evelyn toiletries a nice touch. The mini bar in the bedroom had been removed (Im not sure if this is the same for all the rooms). There was no bottles of water supplied. The bedroom units were obviously cheaply made and were showing signs of wear and tear. The tv picture was really bad and we reported this to reception. A member of the maintenance team arrived promptly and fixed this. He then told us that the pay per view movies wasn;t working and that this had knocked out the tv reception. We weren't bothered about the movies but I think we should have been told they weren't working at check in. It was round this time that we noticed the dust behind the TV - not acceptable!

We got ready and went for dinner - this was fantastic. Food was superb and the service great. Would thoroughly recommend. We dined here on both nights. We had a couple of drinks at the bar but they were very expensive (£13.80 for two red wines). Having stayed at a few Hilton hotels I know that this is the norm so I wasn't surprised. There is wifi in the hotel but it is £15 a day - even the bar staff thought this was expensive. I would have thought a hotel like the Hydro would have had free wifi in public areas.

All in all, we had a lovely time here, out walking in Dunblane, Bridge of Allan and Doune. I was just disappointed in the room.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the main building.

Reviewed 14 January 2012

I was looking forward to a two night stay here for my birthday, on arrival receptionist was pleasent however we did have to wait 15 mins to check in, the disappointment came when we went in to our standard double room to find stained carpets, black mould all over shower/bath area, hair on bed sheets and dusty furniture! Disgusting. We called reception to be advised a manager would call back, over an hour later we were told a cleaner would tidy the room if we waited in reception! After much complaining we were upgraded to another room, two hours after checking in, this room was certainly cleaner but still not as you would expect. Dinner in the hotel was nice not anything special but we found our two servers to be unorganised and rude.
Breakfast was average at best we had to wait 30mins in corridor before being seated! Totally rediculous! Spend your hard earned cash elsewhere!

• Stayed: October 2011
5  Thank Brooni
WatchmanDunblane, Guest Relations Manager at Doubletree by Hilton, Dunblane-Hydro, responded to this reviewResponded 15 January 2012

The negative hyperbole rather detracts from any legitimate complaint you may have had when you stayed with us over 3 months ago. We obviously made every effort to ameliorate the situation and regret that you still feel so aggrieved.

Reviewed 14 January 2012

Bought as Christmas present, food was excellent and room interiors well presented, an enjoyable stay

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple

Pleased to know that this was a Christmas present you really did appreciate! So glad that your visit was so enjoyable and do hope that you will visit us again soon.

Reviewed 11 January 2012

Love this hotel for this business and leisure, the fact the hotel is away from a main road and quite an impressive building making a standard stay feel a bit more special. The breakfast staff are always so friendly and cheery and welcoming. I have had a small issue with the hotel previously but they were more than happy to sort out the issue quickly and took feedback and assisted us. I always enjoy the gym and swim which is a small walk adjacent to the hotel. I would ensure I book the exec room though as these truely make the stay more comfortable. The bar staff are especially interested in their guests and kept asking if we were ok and liked our food. Recommend it.

Room Tip: Book an exec room
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple

We appreciated reading your review as you obviously use the hotel when staying for both business and pleasure. Thank you, too, for the acknowledgement that previous feedback to the hotel has been attended to in a prompt and satisfactory manner. Thanks for your recommendation and do visit us again soon.

Reviewed 8 January 2012

I stayed for two nights (24th and 25th December) with my Husband and two children (aged 7 and 3) We stayed in room 324 which is a Junior Suite.

Room very spacious the sofa in the living area was converted into a bed for the kids, leaving the bedroom area free for 'Santa' to work his magic!

From check in to check out the staff were nothing short of fantastic, this has to be the most accommodating and child friendly hotel I have ever stayed in. After checking in we went along to the Stuart Lounge to enjoy our champagne afternoon tea - which was fabulous! After that we had a little wander to let the kids work up an appetite. Dinner in The Kailyard was incredible, my Husband is a chef and he usually finds something that's not up to scratch - not here! Service was wonderful and the restaurant staff were wonderful towards the children.

Since we were staying with children and it was Christmas eve we were back in our room quite early on.

Our daughter was delighted on Christmas morning when we opened the room door and found a stocking and two wrapped presents waiting for us, she was further impressed when we reached the dining room for breakfast and she was handed a champagne flute of orange juice. Breakfast was a 'help yourself' affair, which, when staying with children is far more suitable than waiting to order.

After breakfast and opening presents we took the kids for a swim in the leisure center, it is in a different building - but a 30 second walk never hurt anyone! The leisure center isn't as impressive as the rest of the hotel but it has a pool and that's what the kids were looking forward to - the great 'treat' of being able to go swimming on Christmas Day!

Christmas lunch was fabulous, the children were offered the ordinary childrens menu as well as the traditional turkey, they were also great with our son who is very fussy and made him something different. Santa made a special visit and the kids were given yet another gift and were most impressed that he knew their names!

We went along to the bar after lunch and as it was quiet in that area the kids brought some of their toys down and we played them at the table. The bar staff were great and spent a great deal of time making my daughter a special drink and then (since the bar was empty except for us) they changed the channel on the television to Dr Who at my daughters request.

The evening buffet was delicious - although none of us managed much after the lunch!

We spent another comfortable night and had a relaxing start to boxing day as check out wasn't til 12!

I have to say we had an absolutely wonderful time and wouldn't hesitate to stay for Christmas again - in fact I'm trying to persuade more of our family to join us this year!!

Thank you for an incredible experience!

Room Tip: Junior suites are ideal for families!
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
WatchmanDunblane, Guest Relations Manager at Doubletree by Hilton, Dunblane-Hydro, responded to this reviewResponded 12 January 2012

Thank you for posting this positive feedback about your stay over Christmas this year. We have made sure that all team members and Santa have been made aware of how much you and your family enjoyed being with us and we do hope to see you again soon…

Reviewed 7 January 2012

Stayed for one evening 6 January in deluxe room and enjoyed an excellent meal in the Kailyard restuarant, all courses very well presented and cooked to perfection.Staff very attentive but unobtrusive. Very reasonable prices for the quality of dishes on the menu
Breakfast was served in the conservatory and we were spoilt for choice.
Our first time staying in this hotel and were very pleased with the room clean,roomy and quiet although being above the restuarant may be more noisy at a more poular time of the year
We took advantage of the special rates advertised on the websiteand by paying advance booking you can make signifigant saving

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your feedback and we are delighted that you had such an excellent meal in the Kailyard Restaurant with attentive and unobtrusive service. We do hope that you will visit us again soon.

Reviewed 7 January 2012

As a treat on a trip my parents were taking i booked them into a ground floor suite in this hotel. Having driven for several hours they arrived at the hotel and were impressed with the facade of the building and lovely interior.

That's where their optimism of a lovely night and a meal in the Nick Nairn restaurant disappeared.

The reception staff could not find the booking with either the reservation number or name but had rooms available and cited the fees. my folks were adamant that given that they had an email confirming the reservation and monies had been taken then there should be no need to say again.
embarrassed and saddened my father and wheelchair bound mother left the hotel.
However in the car park they called me to advise of the situation. I advised them to go back in and i would call as i had made the reservation.
surprisingly by the time i got through to them, they had found the booking! Imagine that! A bottle of wine at high street cost of £4.50 was sent to room as an apology.
So my folks proceeded to their room, had a snack in the bar where they were looked after by the lovely Chris who could not have been more attentive. So my sincere thanks to him.
after some time relaxing in their suite they decided to get ready for evening meal. But there was no hot water. there was no heating either. After a call to reception a young man and girl attended the room but were unable to fix it. They said they would let reception know. But when my father went to close the ajar door he overheard the staff laugh and say who cares if they freeze I'm finishing soon.
So no follow up from reception, no heating or hot water my folks were dismayed, disappointed and too embarrassed to make a fuss.
So their evening consisted of a night in a cold room with no meal, breakfast in their room as they were unable to freshen up or shower, followed by a hasty departure and return home cutting their trip short.
But they decided to let a member of staff know who seemed to be a senior employee.
response - i will log it in the book. That's it?!
NOT IMPRESSED!!

• Stayed: January 2012
3  Thank ParkieM

I understand that the confusion arose because the name of the guests and the name under which they had been booked were different and I am sorry that this took some time to resolve. As I cannot identify you by this feedback I am unsure as to whether or not anyone from the hotel has responded to you but if not please contact us so that we can deal with any outstanding issues.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Dunblane
4.6 km away
5.7 km away
Stirling Court Hotel
Stirling Court Hotel
#7 of 20 in Stirling

Been to Doubletree by Hilton, Dunblane-Hydro? Share your experiences!