“Thai Food - Our First Time”
Review of Maekong Thai

Maekong Thai
Ranked #10 of 128 Restaurants in Bromsgrove
Price range: US$8 - US$32
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed February 28, 2017

Good Thai restaurants are few and far between in this neck of the woods (SW Birmingham), but through personal recommendation a friend recommended Maekong Thai.

So a few days ago we booked a table for 5:30 on a Sunday evening* (a generally quieter time compared to Friday and Saturday nights).

The restaurant is quite long but not very wide; so you have tables either side of the central walkway. And I can imagine if it gets really busy it might be a challenge walking down the aisle without having to negotiate chairs.

Despite that very minor point, the place looked suitably authentic, clean & welcoming.

We were offered drinks and menus within a couple of minutes of being seated. My parted opted for a glass of diet coke; while I went for a refreshing lager (I don't think they serve beers on tap, but more from cans)

The evening menu is quite varied and relatively easy to understand and visualise. But if you need a second opinion the attentive assistant will offer to help.

For starters I opted for the "Tom Yum" (traditional Thai chicken & mushroom hot and sour clear soup flavoured with lemongrass, fresh chillies, lime leaves and galangal)

My partner went for the chicken satay (marinated grilled skewers of chicken (gai) served with peanut sauce)

Both were served within about 10 minutes, and both were absolutely divine!

For mains, my partner chose the chicken massaman (mild peanut curry with coconut milk and Thai herbs), with coconut rice; and I went for Kang Dang Chicken (classic red Thai curry with coconut milk), and again with coconut rice and two sides of chips.

Roughly 15-20 minutes later, our food arrived: all piping hot, well presented and very aromatic, Seemed such a shame eating into it it looked so nice!

We just about managed desserts of vanilla ice cream and orange sorbet. Again very nice and just finished off a very pleasant evening.

The bill came to around £63 for two. So not cheap, but the quality of food makes up for that, and you do feel suitably full on leaving.

We were then for around 90 minutes, and the place was roughly half-full by the time we left at 7pm. Most people there were couples and a family of four. All well behaved and generally quite quiet.

Service was good, and we left a voluntary £5 tip.

we will definitely be going again. We have fallen in love with all things Thai!

Reviewed February 24, 2017

A throughly exceptional meal.
Food excellent quality and all the staff are just delightful
The attention to detailwith the meals does not go a miss so thank you Maekong Thai. We will be returning.

Reviewed February 20, 2017

Managed to book table for 2 at quite short notice on Saturday , we experienced a warm welcome and given choice of table, we sat downstairs which had a nice atmosphere . We ordered the set meal for 2 which was good value, platter of starters, then 4 different main choices accompanied with rice. Throughout meal service was very attentive. Excellent food will definately visit again.

Reviewed February 14, 2017 via mobile

My family take me to this Thai restaurant when we need a pick me up, and it works.
The food is quite amazing, wonderfully presented and the staff are attentive and beautifully dressed in Thai national costumes. This restaurant is such a treat, I would thoroughly recommend it.

Reviewed February 14, 2017

Alway left after a excellent meal and want to go back again.
Food cooked to high standard. Will book again and again.