All reviews sunday lunch glass of prosecco town centre groupon offer pie two courses landlady roast tlc
Reviewed July 26, 2016

Stayed here for a family Christening. Chose here as it had reasonable reviews and was located in the town centre and close to the Christening venue.
Plus points: Good location. Reasonably priced. Good breakfast. Friendly staff and an excellent shower.
Negatives: room was tired and needed a lick paint. Damp stains showed in bathroom. Curtains thin and let light in quite easily.
Overall I think it offered fair value for money for the location although to be honest I'd probably look for somewhere else to stay if I needed to choose accommodation in Wokingham.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed July 21, 2016 via mobile

Probably the best pub in Wokingham.
Very friendly people staff and owner and lovely honest people , had a great time and laugh.
All the locals have been very welcoming.
I'd come back anytime , well we are here for 15 weeks ..

Stayed: July 2016, travelled on business
Reviewed June 30, 2016 via mobile

Arrived and was taken to a room that I very quickly realised was filthy! Thick layer of Visible dust absolutely everywhere, including the leather chair, lamps, bed and television. Bath had a bottle lid from the previous occupant in the plug hole so I'm pretty certain it hadn't been cleaned. Ain't missing on walls all over the bedroom/bathroom. Mould all over the bath. Wiped the bath mat over the bathroom floor and when I turned it over it was black! Cups and kettle filthy and no spoon. Company had already paid for the room so I had to stay. Even after 2 packs of antibacterial wipes it was still awful. Got my sleeping bag in out of the car as I couldn't be sure the bedding was clean. Went across to the bar to get the wifi code only to be told there isn't any wifi in the room despite advertising wifi throughout on booking. Com. Didn't eat there as if that is how the bedrooms are kept o cannot imagine what the kitchen is like! Absolutely awful experience!

Stayed: June 2016, travelled on business
Reviewed June 10, 2016

Arrived at the hotel at 8.45pm Wednesday evening. Had four hour drive from Manchester. Decided to stay at the hotel as it was near the venue where I was going to be training and I like to support independent businesses, being self employed myself. I arrived and asked if the hotel served food and was told that had stopped at 8pm. I commented about the quiz night but was told it was only a very quiet one. It would have been nice, as they were not too busy, for someone to have offered to at least make me a sandwich but no matter.

Was taken to the room (5). Staff member attempted to put main lights on but they wouldn't work. Man came in to have a look and it appeared that something wrong with the system, not just fuses or bulbs so I had to work by lamplight. I asked about Internet access and was told I would have to go across to the pub if I wanted to use that!! What about those of a religious persuasion that don`t drink or women who do not wish to sit in a public bar to work?

The room was extremely hot but it would have been an idea for the windows to have been opened prior to my visit to cool it down.

The room badly needs some TLC. There were lots of black marks on the walls and the bathroom door badly needed painting. There was a big stain in the middle of the bath. The sloping ceilings meant you could not stand up in the bath to shower. No shower curtain so water went all over the place. Paint peeling on bathroom ceiling. Extractor fan clogged up with dirt.

The blind at the velux window was missing and stored in a cupboard with empty boxes and 2 coat hangers. The velux window was filthy and of course the light streamed in from early morning, given the time of year.

The TV did not work properly as it kept turning to random channels. The bed was extremely low. Bedroom a good size and I liked the beams.

Breakfast was tasty. Luckily I didn't pay full price for the stay otherwise I would have been asking for some of it back.

Room Tip: not room 5
  • Stayed: June 2016, travelled on business
Adrian T, Owner at The Dukes Head, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2016

Thank you for supporting The Dukes Head.

Sorry you thought The Dukes Heas was a hotel. I can see that this would create an expectation of having extended hours kitchen. Assuming the ingredients were available we would have endeavoured to make something to eat. At 20.45hrs there would have been no kitchen staff. With it being a quiet night there is only one member of staff available so we couldn't even go out and get something from the shop. Sorry.

What we will do in future, if the situation arises, is offer numbers of local takeaways.

On testing the lights there did not seem to be any issue. The lights work on a 2 way switch, both switches had not been engaged. Staff have been retrained to ensure this does not happen again.

WiFi is available on the pub. We have a number of people who do not drink alcohol for religious reasons who still visit the pub, do not drink alcohol and can use the wifi. Unfortunately if you choose not to come into the pub we can not do anything about this. That is your choice, but we would do our best to make you feel welcome and offer assistance in order to get you on line.

On the morning I checked if you had slept well? You confirmed you had. I mentioned the overnight temperature and you confirmed there was little that could be done about the temperature , to which I agreed. For security reasons we will not be leaving the windows open.

The B&B was built in the 1830's. As such it has period features such as sloping ceilings and skylights. These are often perceived as charater. I am unable to alter this to any great extent.

The TV was not mentioned when you were resident. After reading the review I have checked the tv and all seems to be in order.

New carpets have recently been fitted. Next on the refurbishment programme is re-decoration.

We are please you found our breakfast tasty.

Thank you for taking the time to offer your feedback.

Reviewed May 19, 2016

The room was aged and was in great need of refurbishment. One of the windows had cracks in a pane of glass. The bathroom had mould on the ceiling, a pool of water by the toilet and the bath plug had no chain on it. The smell was also very musty.
The people were friendly and the breakfast acceptable. But for £75 a night it is grossly overpriced and vastly overrated for what you get for the price.

Room Tip: Stay clear
  • Stayed: May 2016, travelled on business