“Royal Ascot stay”
Review of The Dukes Head

The Dukes Head
Ranked #7 of 9 Wokingham B&B and Inns
Reviewed 22 June 2017

Start with by saying staff were very friendly. That is the one good thing about the premises. Twin room myself and my dad stayed in was dreadful. Stayed in one of the annex rooms not above the actual pub. Twin beds were camp bed style. No chairs to sit and relax on. No wardrobe to hang our clothes in. Had to hang our suits and other clothes in the storage cupboard with one hook which was only accessible by moving one of the beds. Towels were not changed and bin was not emptied. No Wifi access from this room and remote control for the tv was missing. Never again.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Stephen H

Reviewed 10 April 2017

Back after 2 years again on a Groupon and still amazing value.

With the extra discount that Groupon offer for two courses with a glass of Prosecco each is hard to beat at £10.00

3 choices of starter and main all well cooked and served with a smile.

The outside garden could do with a bit of a clean/ tidy up but it was adequate for eating outside on a hot afternoon

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 February 2017

We went to the Dukes head for Suday lunch and we did not regret it ! Food was amazing , we had two courses, the choice was good and the prices were affordable . When we walked in we were welcomed by a lovely lady behind the bar. They were short of employees on that day but everything went smoothly anyway. Great job ! The place has a lovely atmosphere. We will be definitely back in summer .

• Stayed: January 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 September 2016

Yesterday, I went in with my partner and daughter in law and grandson, we were given a discounted deal with groupon, this was out of date as every time we called in there was
no availability, but were assured by Julie that this would be honoured. When we arrived we ordered drinks notified the bar staff we were here on a groupon deal, this caused complete chaos. The Manager/Landlord Adrian was extremely abrupt and rude in front of other customer's making us feel most unwelcome saying that he could not honour this although his wife did not communicate this through. The furnishing looked worn down, the locals were quite rude and told us to leave if we did'nt like it, i would never step foot in this place ever again, nor would i reommend it, Management rude, it looks like undesirable charecters drink in there too, no wonder it was empty.

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled with friends
1  Thank matthewelder
Adrian T, Owner at The Dukes Head, responded to this reviewResponded 21 September 2016

If you went to Tesco with a discount voucher that was out of date would they honour it?
I am surprised you asked for an out date voucher to be honoured. You have six months from date of purchase to use the voucher.
I am sorry that redemption has taken you so long.
Sorry I was abrupt, but I was cooking for 8 other tables and had food under the grill, in the oven and on the stove. I came from the kitchen to try and explain why I was not able to accept an expired voucher. I did have to rush back to the kitchen to ensure I did not spoil any food. I did say I would return , but you chose to leave.
I wonder how we managed to upset other customers if we were empty, and also how our customers are "undesirable" if we were empty.
Come back and try our food and then write a review.
Don't use this forum as a tool to complain further because you could not redeem an expired voucher.

Reviewed 13 September 2016

Located near the centre of Wokingham so very handy for the shops and businesses nearby. Car parking is available on the premises. Adrian and Julie are very welcoming and do excellent food, too. I can't miss mentioning the excellent breakfast I had there - superb start to the day. The rooms are easily accessed in a separate block to the pub itself. They're clean and have everything you need for your stay. I highly recommend this place.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 September 2016

My wife and I had a single overnight stay at the Duke's Head as we were visiting relatives nearby. The room we had was very spacious and comfortable with all the usual services, tea/coffee, TV and internet, etc. We had booked b&b and for breakfast we were offered pretty much anything we wanted and certainly more than enough for us. The service was excellent and the food we ordered was delicious, plentiful and prompt. I was also extremely appreciative of the hosts assistance in posting back my phone charger which I had left in my room. All in all, excellent value!

Room Tip: If all the rooms are like ours (no.5) then you will find a spacious and clean room.
  • Stayed: August 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 July 2016

Stayed here for a family Christening. Chose here as it had reasonable reviews and was located in the town centre and close to the Christening venue.
Plus points: Good location. Reasonably priced. Good breakfast. Friendly staff and an excellent shower.
Negatives: room was tired and needed a lick paint. Damp stains showed in bathroom. Curtains thin and let light in quite easily.
Overall I think it offered fair value for money for the location although to be honest I'd probably look for somewhere else to stay if I needed to choose accommodation in Wokingham.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled solo