“Rip Off !”
Review of Algarve Seafaris

Algarve Seafaris
Ranked #17 of 21 Tours in Vilamoura
Reviewed 12 August 2017

We had the misfortune to take the Beach Bar BQ cruise with Algarve Seafaris last week.
This was advertised as a six and a half hour cruise which would include a tour along the Algarve coast with points of interest being pointed out by the crew, a tour of the sea caves (yes PLURAL), a beach BBQ on a secluded beach only accessible from the sea, with time for swimming culminating in a return journey that should bring us past an area frequented by dolphins. Sounds nice? Yeah. Unfortunately reality deviated quite a bit from this ideal.
The "points of interest" amounted to an announcement over the boat's Tannoy of various beaches that we were passing. Big deal.
But things got worse. The sea caves tour was a joke. I think the boat went in through a single Sea Arch and that was pretty much it.
We were eventually transferred to a beach by a couple of small RIBS that the Catamaran had in tow. I remember looking in horror at the beach as we approached. Reason? We had not thought of bringing a parasol with us and there was not a single shaded area on the entire beach. On the day we went, the temperature must have been approaching 40 deg.C. Not very pleasant really.
The BBQ was served up after about an hour. It was adequate, though nothing to write home about. Whilst eating, I was somewhat amused to notice a good few people walking down onto our "secluded" beach from the fields above.
We must have spent at least another hour waiting for the RIBS to collect us and bring us back to the boat. I never thought time could go so slowly!
On the way back, I thought we might at least get to see some of the dolphins. On the basis of what had already happened on the trip, with hindsight, that was really kind of silly of me. Sure enough, perfectly to form, NO DOLPHINS. Not that the crew went out of their way to find them either.
All in all, I think this trip was a shocking rip off, a waste of time and really poor value for money.
We could have found so many other better things to do on what was the final day of an otherwise enjoyablle holiday.

5  Thank pinkfloydfan2016
"trolling"
"glassbottom"
"albuferia"

Reviewed 12 August 2017 via mobile

And I guess catching on a fishing trip is an added bonus because it is never guaranteed.

We booked a 40 euro per person (including the licence fee of 5 euro) 3 hour reef fishing trip departing at 4pm. We left Vilamoura Marina a few minutes late and overall the trip ran a little late, but that was no real problem as we did not have a dinner booked later. Be careful if you do though!

It was a no frills affair and "reef" appears to be a bit of poetic licence as I did not see one. We chugged out at about 15kph for a good 40 minutes and then dropped anchor.

A guy came round with some squid as bait and set up the rods. No real tuition, but if you have done any fishing it is fairly self explanatory.

Within minutes someone had caught a fish, nothing spectacular, but a couple of pounds and from then on, we and our fellow anglers pulled out fish of varying sizes continuously for the next hour or so.

I caught 3 and my 14 year old son caught 2 so we got to experience fishing including the catching and baiting. The fish were quite small so do not expect to be wrestling 20lb tuna out of the ocean (I am sure there is a trip for that) but overall it was exactly what it said on the blurb albeit that I couldn't see a reef!!

2  Thank thereisnoessexway
Reviewed 11 August 2017

I wouldn,t bother with this one. 46 euros for two people to basically chugg up the coast look at a hole in the cliff and chugg back. There is little or no info from the staff on what you are passing seeing etc. Some of the passengers paid extra to take a glass bottomed boat into the cave whilst the rest of us were allowed to swim by the boat. I asked how it was on there return after about 10 mins, waste of time and money i was told. They were also asked to pay 10 euros for a photo of them in the boat with the background that could have been anywhere in the algarve. The boat blurb states that you head back via the dolphin areas but ther eis little chance of this as they dont go out that far. Crew didnt engage the whole way through bit when we went to get off the boat there was a tips box to donate in!!! to top a bad day off we has to wait an hour for transport to take us back to the hotel. RIP OFF

2  Thank cal14nia
Reviewed 6 August 2017

This is a complete rip off. We paid £160 for what was supposed to be 3 hours reef fishing. The boat was crowded and left 20 minutes late, the supplied tackle is old and very poor condition. When we reached the area to fish and dropped the lines there were no fish. A number of people pointed this out to the Captain however he appeared completely dis interested and did not move to try a different location. As a fisherman for many years is was very apparent that the only thing on the crews mind was to get out and in as soon as possible. I would deffently NOT recommend this company in any way. The worst days boat fishing I have ever had.

3  Thank davidmar50
See more reviews
Reviewed 6 August 2017

Avoid this trip at all costs. We spent 130 euros on a 3.5 hour trip, advertised as a glass bottomed boat cruise. What it actually is is a 3.5 hour trip looking at the sea, with 15 minutes on the glass bottomed boat. The boat that the literature says you go on, the Liana, was not the boat, we ended up on the much older and very uncomfortable Moena We were not informed at booking that the transfer to the glass bottomed boat would take place at sea, and our disabled daughter was far too terrified to do this. Only half of our family did this , but when we approached the Seafaris office after the trip, we were given basically a shrug of the shoulders. Other people had to stand for the duration of the trip, one with a babe in arms. The crew were oblivious and spent more time smoking and flirting than actually doing any work, or looking after the passengers. I would not recommend anyone to use this company, or shell out the extortionate prices they charge.

3  Thank lisadpearson