All reviews long weekend beautiful location stoney lake dining room indoor pool on site main building the pub sausage boat house course tasting menu bedroom cottage water trampoline attention to detail hiking trails view of the lake cottage country
Reviewed July 25, 2016 via mobile

My husband and I researched a lot of places to take the dogs for a vacation. The places we looked at allowed dogs but charged higher prices and/or only allowed one dog per couple. What's great about Viamede is dogs are totally welcomed with friendly smiles and dog treats. They even provided us with a dog bed. We stayed in cottage number 412, with a fridge, microwave, Jacuzzi tub (next to bed) and a separate bathroom. It had a great view of Stoney lake from the window and it was a very short walk to the dog park and the sandy beach. They seem to have a lot to do and it's all free. You can take the canoe, kayak or play on the big trampoline in the lake. Plus they gave daily activities- one that includes a tour of their farm. We ate at the boathouse on site ( I recommend the fish and chips), Uncle George's about 5 mins away (great prime rib) and honey's diner 10 mins away. The food at all these places was amazing! The price you pay for the cottage also includes a great breakfast with the usual bacon, eggs, pancakes, bagels, fruit etc. The only thing that I think they can improve on is to give the cottage a fresh paint job just to coverup the marks on the wall. Can't wait until we return! ❤️

Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kendra D
ViamedeResort, Owner at Viamede Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 8, 2016

Dear Kendra,

Thank you for your review! Hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed July 18, 2016

I found Viamede while searching on-line for pet friendly getaways and wanted to book a family weekend as a birthday gift to myself. The trails, the lakeside setting and the emphasis on local food sealed the deal so we booked.

On arrival, we checked out our lakefront cabin #414 and I must say we were not off to a great start. It's more like a sleep bunkie. In the sleep area, there is barely room to walk around as the two beds take up the space. The other space was the front room housing the little kitchenette area, table and small loveseat. The small tv hangs in the kitchenette area as that is really the only space for it. You can't open the cabin door and the fridge door at the same time. Its very tight quarters. I felt cramped and claustrophobic, which is the note I left on the comment card. I leave the city because I want room to breathe. This cabin is not that. It's saving grace is the front deck situated meters from the shore line with a lovely view on the lake and steps away from the dog swimming area.

I went back to the front desk to see if we could upgrade to something larger, but being the weekend we were out of luck. Suffice it to say that at almost $400/night (including breakfast) - this was not what I expected.

Once we settled, we went to the Boathouse for dinner. With an upper deck perched over the lake and windows on three sides to enjoy the lake breezes and the watercraft plying their way across the lake, the locale is quintessential summer lakeside dining. My wife and I both had fish (trout and Walleye). Both were excellent. We also ordered the cheeseboard as a starter. Our server forgot it and we ended up having it as dessert. The choice of cheeses were excellent. County wines and cider were available which was also nice to see. The greens that came with all the dishes were first rate. The plan was to finish the meal with a cappuccino and I could see the machine they used ground the beans. Unfortunately the cap that came was too bitter to drink and I sent it back.

Saturday morning started with a dog walk to the wonderful Viking Tree and an exploration of the on-site farm. There were also activity fields and an off leash dog area and a dog swimming area. Our dog had a blast! The trail system, I understand, has recently been completed and the trails were groomed and lovely. The next morning I also walked up the Mount Julian Trail.

I would have liked for my son to take advantage of the early morning fishing trip that is offered by the General Manager and see more of the lake, but couldn't convince my little guy this trip. He just wanted to fish with Dad from shore. He enjoyed catching some perch and sunfish.

The included Saturday and Sunday morning buffets were good quality and definitely better than average. The fresh fruit, the blackened tomatoes, the brioches, turnovers etc were all enjoyed by the family. Lakefront windows run the entire length of the dining/breakfast area and take an exceptional waterfront dotted with numerous islands, presenting a view that reminds us of overlooking the St. Lawrence in the Thousand Islands at Rockport. Simply a wonderful way to enjoy your morning coffee.

In the afternoon my son and I enjoyed the water trampoline, the stand up paddle boards and other water toys at the beach (all included). He also went to the indoor/outdoor pool recently completed and enjoyed it greatly as well.

I had both lunch and dinner again at the Boathouse. Lunch was the 8 oz sausage, with a side house salad, enjoyed with a Wapoos Cider. Again the quality of the produce was first rate and the carmelized onions that accompanied the sausage were excellent. My wife commented that she would have ordered the onions as a dish itself.

For dinner I opted for the marinated bavette steak which I ordered medium rare. What came was dull brown all the way through and had been cooked to the point of being tasteless. Beef cooked to well done is almost criminal in my books. I was quite shocked. But as I had already sent something back I just got through it. I think its the most expensive entree on the bistro menu and something one should get "right." My wife had the burger. Ironically, it was pink in the middle.

Later that evening, the hotel puts on a fire and supplies the ingredients for smores. This was a huge hit with our nine year old. But this was not the first thing he told his friends when he got home. One of his friends showed up at our front door when we got back and the first thing he said that the three of us stayed in a cabin smaller than our living room.

There is clearly a great deal of thought, energy, time and funds being invested in this sprawling and lovely property and the amenities offered. It evidences an aspiration to provide an exceptional overall holidaly experience to guests. With a nine-year old, we didn't book a dinner at Mount Julian Inn, which I am sure would have been a treat.

With a more spacious sleep arrangement and a little more discriminating attention in the Boathouse kitchen service, Viamede would have hit the mark and this rating would have been a five. But I did enjoy enough to say its worth another try and and a return visit to compare the experience a second time.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family
4  Thank familyexplore

Dear familyexplore,

Thanks for your comments! I'm glad you enjoyed your stay here. Apologies for the misses with your meal at The Boathouse. Hopefully next time you visit we can book you in to a larger cottage.

Cheers!

Reviewed July 1, 2016 via mobile

We are two couples being put up in a cottage of two bedrooms for $400. It is pricy and we expect quite a quality suite but we're disappointed. The water flow is not strong enough when you have two persons taking shower at the same time. Do not expect to get what you usually will get at the price in a normal hotel.
We also had dinner at the Mount Julian Restaurant. We were talked into a nine course dinner for $115 each person. The dinner lasted for four hours. It is an experience but whether you feel it is worth it or not depends on individual. I find it a little bit pricy. I think the hotel was trying to create some unique experience for customer but charge you a very expensive price. Be prepared. In fact, you do not not have to go for the 9 courses, you can choose 3,5,7 or 9 courses to pare with wine but the wine does not come with it. You have to pay extra for the wine.

It is expensive and you are a budget traveller, avoid this hotel,

Stayed: July 2016, travelled with friends
1  Thank Hotpu

Dear Hotpu,

Thank you for your review. I'm sorry that your stay wasn't as expected. Our accommodations are not what you would find in an expensive city hotel chain, but we find that is part of our charm. The meal at Mount Julian is absolutely an experience, and it is not for everyone.

Nonetheless, I hope you enjoyed the rest of your stay!

Cheers

Reviewed June 30, 2016

We stayed 3 nights in cottage 432 at Mount Julian. The cottage was clean and the housekeeper was great. They even washed our dishes. I love the fact that the entire resort is pet friendly. Our golden retriever enjoyed swimming in the lake. He also liked all of the dog treats in the lobby. The main hotel offers free WiFi but there is no WiFi in the cottage area. The price includes a buffet breakfast that had a lot of variety although I wish there was more vegan options. We had dinner at both restaurants on the property. The Boathouse is economical but Mount Julian Inn was expensive although a very unique dining experience. We would return to the resort in the future!

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled with family

Dear Jane,

I'm glad you enjoyed your stay! Hope to see you (and your golden) again soon!

Reviewed June 7, 2016

We loved our stay ! We roomed in a cottage, looking at the lake, comfortable with a BBQ and porch.

Our dog loved it - such a bonus that this resort is 100% dog friendly ! Dog park too!

The trails around the resort are beautiful.

Food was over the top good! Loved the fine dining at Mount Julian and then the Boathouse was perfect for a hot lunch in the sunshine - we loved the patio over looking the water.

If you forgot a fishing rod they had one for you, take out a canoe - super easy!

I would definitely recommend this spot. Staff is very friendly and accommodating.

The wifi only worked in main buildings.

Room Tip: Cottages were awesome!
  • Stayed: June 2016, travelled as a couple

Dear Schoutsen,

Thank you for your comments. I hope we see you again soon!