“A great family vacation”
Review of Viamede Resort

Viamede Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in North Kawartha
Ajax, Canada
“A great family vacation”
Reviewed 1 August 2016

This is our second time to Viamede and it did not disappoint. We had a wonderful relaxing time in cottage 402, on the waters edge.
As usual the staff were very attentive and the resort was clean and well maintained. A welcome addition this year is the indoor pool, complete with sauna and steam room. We also enjoyed the newly added fitness facility and yoga studio.
The fish were plentiful. We all caught fish however my son reeled in both a twelve inch and twenty inch bass.
All said, we had a great, relaxing family vacation and are planning to return next year.

• Stayed July 2016, travelled with family
ViamedeResort, Owner at Viamede Resort, responded to this review, 8 September 2016
Dear 859Keith859,

Thanks for your review! I'm happy to hear the whole family enjoyed your stay and we hope to see you next year!

Ben

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Reviewed 30 July 2016 via mobile

It's our first time at Viamede Resort and stayed for 5 nights. We love the scenery...it is breath taking...so Beautiful! . My daughter love all the activities for kids...the trampoline..kayak..the kids games ...fishing...boat tour with Ben ( the owner).Thanks Ben for taking us!!! The inside and outside pool are clean...my daughter love it... but then its better if both are heated pool. She was shivering for 15 mins in the pool before she get use to the water. I heard it from other parents too. We never got the chance to do biking because there is no bike available for kids ages 5- 10 yrs old. PLease pay attention to this comment. ☺The food at the Boathouse is really good. We never get the chance to eat at Julian Inn Restaurant because they dont cater food for kids. The hotel room where we stayed is clean and updated. We just found out that the hotel building was built from18th century. It is well maintained ànd clean but the front and back lobby needs a touch up to create a cozy atmosphere inside. Guests like us who stayed at the hotel and can't cook are not like those who stayed in the cottage that can cook anytime. We need more restaurants. We suggest that the Dining Room should be open not only for breakfast. Lunch and Dinner should also be served even for meal time that open between 12-3pm and 6-9pm where we can get more food to eat...buffet food to serve is a lot better. Breakfast is inclusive during our stay and it's all good but again needs variety of food. We are getting tired of eating the same breakfast all the time. But these are just little things that can be done anytime. Iwill give 4 star to Viamede Resort. If it will be remodeled and updated then. It will be the # 1lakeside Resort in the future.... no kiddding. It's got the best location...breath taking views. It has so many things to offer and has a lot of opportunities. The view and the clear water from the Lake...the trail..hiking..water activities...and delicious food. My family feels like we are in our own backyard. We have access to everything with out the line up and register for any activities like other resorts do. It is so quite..so private and very relaxing. These are the type of atmosphere we need for a vacation..which we experienced at Viamede. The staff are all friendly. Ben, the owner and all the staff are so nice and very accommodating. The services we got are two thumbs up. Ben said its all about how he trusted his guests the reason why he made everything accessible and that is a very good attitude coming from him...keep it up!!! I can't wait to come back again and bring our family together...but hopefully the comments should be given attention to all the details mentioned to keep us coming back to the resort and be your regular cùstomer.

Stayed July 2016, travelled with family
Dear Vangie T,

Thank you for your comments. We are continuously updating and improving the resort, so we look forward to welcoming you back in the future!

Cheers
Reviewed 29 July 2016

This was our second stay at Viamede and I am not sure I wouldn't go back, but I am not sure I would either. The lake is beautiful, the outdoor pool was clean and the water trampoline and free water toys push the trip to a positive, but only just.

We stayed in a cottage which was dated and in need of repair but not far from what I expected; if you stay at Viamede be ready for rustic accomdation. The cleanliness of the room left much to be desired; cobwebs in the corners, dead bugs on the ceiling, the fireplace was overflowing with past fire ashes to the point the smell filled the cabin. I don't think the bathrooms were actually dirty but are in desperate need of repair and felt dirty.

The included breakfast was nice but with no daily variation it got old quickly, the boathouse pub had decent pub fare and a good view, the trails and small farm are a definite positive. A personal point of contention was the very good Jura espresso machines they have, one in the pub and one in the dining area, that no one new how to use. 5 attempts latter I never got a latte from a super automatic espresso machine...

The saving grace is a great lake and a nice beach. I just think a little attention to detail and a large renovation budget are needed.

2 Thank Ryan B
Dear Ryan B,

Thank you for your comments. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay overall, but apologies that some things were not up to expectation. We are continuously updating and renovating, so I do hope you'll be back in the future!

Whitchurch-Stouffville, Canada
Reviewed 28 July 2016

We stayed in one of the 3 bedroom cottages 2015 August and with my family of 7 (3 adult girls & husband, 1 grand-daughter)and had a great time. Found staff very friendly and accommodating. When out of coffee or ice called front desk and had delivered. When need bed changes for guest was done with a smile. Booked the pontoon boat tour lots of fun and beautiful sights on the lake. Water toys available and at no extra cost...great for those young adults with lots of energy. Cottage rustic however very comfortable and that's what brings the charm! They had activities like evening marshmallow roast, scavenger hunt, shop and cook with the chef.

Room Tip: Book early and get lake view!
  • Stayed August 2015, travelled with family
Dear suesherban,

Thanks so much for the kind review! We hope to see you again soon!

Richmond Hill, Canada
Reviewed 26 July 2016

Last weekend, my wife and I got out of the city to celebrate our 25 th Anniversary. We wanted a causal place with a reputation for good service and great food. We were not disappointed.

We are both very experienced travelers. I have been to most of the major cities and countries around the world and have experience outstanding accommodation and food.

After much research on the internet we decided to travel to Stoney Lake, just outside of Peterborough Ontario and stay for a couple of nights at Viamede Resort, which is on the north end of the lake.

The location is beautiful, secluded and the water is clear , clean and refreshing ( in fact warmer than both the indoor and outdoor pools ).

We stayed in a suite at the Hill Top complex. Our room was clean, spacious and afforded a view of the water and the main lodge. This room had been recently renovated, as are many of the rooms and cottages at the resort.

Our suite had hard wood floors, a king size bed, a sofa and arm chair in a seating area, a fridge, microwave, whirlpool tub, balcony, and Flat screen TV.

Owner , Ben, has been updating the facilities and most should be completed in the near future.

The resort offers two on site restaurants, as well as a dining room where the inclusive breakfast is served, over looking the lake. The breakfast is bountiful and the only recommendation would be that a fresh cooked egg bar be added, in addition to the scrambled eggs. Nevertheless,it was a great way to start the day.

Your day can be filled with many activities, fishing, boating, swimming, hiking, sun bathing, watch the boats on the lake or just relaxing ... perhaps with a good book. The resort has many "toys" for which to do the activities and all are inclusive with your stay.

The surrounding area is beautiful, and the local small villages are a delight, and sometimes very surprising of what you can find there. Nice little hidden gems in Cottage Country.

The first night we chose to eat at the Boathouse Restaurant. This bistro provides an excellent selection of fresh local foods and craft beers. Our table was by the deck railing, with umbrella ( the sun was hot that day ) and overlooked the lake. The gentle breeze helped to cool things down and watching the boats could turn into a full time job.

Service was excellent, and the staff friendly, caring and knowledgeable.

I must give a shout out and thumbs up to Laura.

She was a delight and you could tell that she really enjoyed what she was doing. When she noticed, after I had eaten about half of my minced rib steak burger, that it was a little more well done than I had ordered, she offered to immediately have a new one made. I declined, as the meat was still delicious, the bun was excellent and, even though I am not usually a burger eater, this was an above average and flavorful meal. We did take up her offer of a complimentary resort baked dessert, which we took back to our suite for a late night snack in front to the word burning fireplace ( yes the day was hot, but the smell and the look of a wood burning fire ( wood supplied free of charge by the resort) was too much to resist. It was even better as I turned the ac on and we kept very comfortable )

The next night, dinner was a special occasion. When researching the Ontario resorts, what struck me about Viamede was the on site fine dinning restaurant , Mount Julian.

Chef Kevin McKenna offers a 5, 7 and 9 course tasting menu, with paired wines, and the menu changes weekly. The gourmet fare was excellent. The Chef prides himself on using ingredients from the on site farm and gardens, foraged items from the surrounding land and local foods from the farmers market and farmers. The wines were chosen to compliment each course. The did an excellent job.

The meal is not one to gobble and dash. You take your time and you savor every bite. We took 3.5 hours for our 9 course meal and it was worth every minute ( maybe you can invest in some more comfortable chairs for such a long dinning experience.. the only misstep we could find).

The service staff were way above par.

Jami and Nicole provided excellent service, were knowledgeable on every course, what was in each course, how it was prepared and appeared to really love what they were doing.They were also wonderful in describing the selected wine, where they came from and why they were picked for each course. You can tell that the Chef includes all his staff in every aspect and that he shares his experience and expertise with all of his team. Friendly, knowledgeable and enthusiastic in what they do. Delightful.

Jami and Nicole greatly added to an experience of the chef's creations and my wife and I will remember this meal for the rest of our days.

Over all, our experience was worth every penny. The place is a delightful place where you can be casual and comfortable, all the staff were friendly, outgoing and there to make your stay the best it could be. And the food was out of this world. We will make our way there again.

• Stayed July 2016, travelled as a couple
3 Thank allanjackson2016
Dear allanjackson2016,

Thank you for the kind words! We're so happy that you and your wife enjoyed your stay. See you next time!

Reviewed 25 July 2016 via mobile

My husband and I researched a lot of places to take the dogs for a vacation. The places we looked at allowed dogs but charged higher prices and/or only allowed one dog per couple. What's great about Viamede is dogs are totally welcomed with friendly smiles and dog treats. They even provided us with a dog bed. We stayed in cottage number 412, with a fridge, microwave, Jacuzzi tub (next to bed) and a separate bathroom. It had a great view of Stoney lake from the window and it was a very short walk to the dog park and the sandy beach. They seem to have a lot to do and it's all free. You can take the canoe, kayak or play on the big trampoline in the lake. Plus they gave daily activities- one that includes a tour of their farm. We ate at the boathouse on site ( I recommend the fish and chips), Uncle George's about 5 mins away (great prime rib) and honey's diner 10 mins away. The food at all these places was amazing! The price you pay for the cottage also includes a great breakfast with the usual bacon, eggs, pancakes, bagels, fruit etc. The only thing that I think they can improve on is to give the cottage a fresh paint job just to coverup the marks on the wall. Can't wait until we return! ❤️

Stayed July 2016, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kendra D
Dear Kendra,

Thank you for your review! Hope to see you again soon.

ottawa
Reviewed 18 July 2016

I found Viamede while searching on-line for pet friendly getaways and wanted to book a family weekend as a birthday gift to myself. The trails, the lakeside setting and the emphasis on local food sealed the deal so we booked.

On arrival, we checked out our lakefront cabin #414 and I must say we were not off to a great start. It's more like a sleep bunkie. In the sleep area, there is barely room to walk around as the two beds take up the space. The other space was the front room housing the little kitchenette area, table and small loveseat. The small tv hangs in the kitchenette area as that is really the only space for it. You can't open the cabin door and the fridge door at the same time. Its very tight quarters. I felt cramped and claustrophobic, which is the note I left on the comment card. I leave the city because I want room to breathe. This cabin is not that. It's saving grace is the front deck situated meters from the shore line with a lovely view on the lake and steps away from the dog swimming area.

I went back to the front desk to see if we could upgrade to something larger, but being the weekend we were out of luck. Suffice it to say that at almost $400/night (including breakfast) - this was not what I expected.

Once we settled, we went to the Boathouse for dinner. With an upper deck perched over the lake and windows on three sides to enjoy the lake breezes and the watercraft plying their way across the lake, the locale is quintessential summer lakeside dining. My wife and I both had fish (trout and Walleye). Both were excellent. We also ordered the cheeseboard as a starter. Our server forgot it and we ended up having it as dessert. The choice of cheeses were excellent. County wines and cider were available which was also nice to see. The greens that came with all the dishes were first rate. The plan was to finish the meal with a cappuccino and I could see the machine they used ground the beans. Unfortunately the cap that came was too bitter to drink and I sent it back.

Saturday morning started with a dog walk to the wonderful Viking Tree and an exploration of the on-site farm. There were also activity fields and an off leash dog area and a dog swimming area. Our dog had a blast! The trail system, I understand, has recently been completed and the trails were groomed and lovely. The next morning I also walked up the Mount Julian Trail.

I would have liked for my son to take advantage of the early morning fishing trip that is offered by the General Manager and see more of the lake, but couldn't convince my little guy this trip. He just wanted to fish with Dad from shore. He enjoyed catching some perch and sunfish.

The included Saturday and Sunday morning buffets were good quality and definitely better than average. The fresh fruit, the blackened tomatoes, the brioches, turnovers etc were all enjoyed by the family. Lakefront windows run the entire length of the dining/breakfast area and take an exceptional waterfront dotted with numerous islands, presenting a view that reminds us of overlooking the St. Lawrence in the Thousand Islands at Rockport. Simply a wonderful way to enjoy your morning coffee.

In the afternoon my son and I enjoyed the water trampoline, the stand up paddle boards and other water toys at the beach (all included). He also went to the indoor/outdoor pool recently completed and enjoyed it greatly as well.

I had both lunch and dinner again at the Boathouse. Lunch was the 8 oz sausage, with a side house salad, enjoyed with a Wapoos Cider. Again the quality of the produce was first rate and the carmelized onions that accompanied the sausage were excellent. My wife commented that she would have ordered the onions as a dish itself.

For dinner I opted for the marinated bavette steak which I ordered medium rare. What came was dull brown all the way through and had been cooked to the point of being tasteless. Beef cooked to well done is almost criminal in my books. I was quite shocked. But as I had already sent something back I just got through it. I think its the most expensive entree on the bistro menu and something one should get "right." My wife had the burger. Ironically, it was pink in the middle.

Later that evening, the hotel puts on a fire and supplies the ingredients for smores. This was a huge hit with our nine year old. But this was not the first thing he told his friends when he got home. One of his friends showed up at our front door when we got back and the first thing he said that the three of us stayed in a cabin smaller than our living room.

There is clearly a great deal of thought, energy, time and funds being invested in this sprawling and lovely property and the amenities offered. It evidences an aspiration to provide an exceptional overall holidaly experience to guests. With a nine-year old, we didn't book a dinner at Mount Julian Inn, which I am sure would have been a treat.

With a more spacious sleep arrangement and a little more discriminating attention in the Boathouse kitchen service, Viamede would have hit the mark and this rating would have been a five. But I did enjoy enough to say its worth another try and and a return visit to compare the experience a second time.

4 Thank familyexplore
Dear familyexplore,

Thanks for your comments! I'm glad you enjoyed your stay here. Apologies for the misses with your meal at The Boathouse. Hopefully next time you visit we can book you in to a larger cottage.

Cheers!
11.5 km away
Beachwood Resort
Beachwood Resort
#1 of 10 in Lakefield

Been to Viamede Resort? Share your experiences!