Viamede Resort
US$56
Burleigh Falls Inn(Burleigh Falls)
US$139
Sword Motor Inn(Bancroft)
US$110
US$110
US$71
Nomi Resort(Harcourt)
US$98
All reviewsstoney lakedining roomon siteindoor poolthe pubmain buildingmount juliansausagebedroom cottagecourse tasting menuwater trampolinelong weekendboat househiking trailscottage countrybeautiful locationfood was amazing
Reviewed July 30, 2016 via mobile

It's our first time at Viamede Resort and stayed for 5 nights. We love the scenery...it is breath taking...so Beautiful! . My daughter love all the activities for kids...the trampoline..kayak..the kids games ...fishing...boat tour with Ben ( the owner).Thanks Ben for taking us!!! The inside and outside pool are clean...my daughter love it... but then its better if both are heated pool. She was shivering for 15 mins in the pool before she get use to the water. I heard it from other parents too. We never got the chance to do biking because there is no bike available for kids ages 5- 10 yrs old. PLease pay attention to this comment. ☺The food at the Boathouse is really good. We never get the chance to eat at Julian Inn Restaurant because they dont cater food for kids. The hotel room where we stayed is clean and updated. We just found out that the hotel building was built from18th century. It is well maintained ànd clean but the front and back lobby needs a touch up to create a cozy atmosphere inside. Guests like us who stayed at the hotel and can't cook are not like those who stayed in the cottage that can cook anytime. We need more restaurants. We suggest that the Dining Room should be open not only for breakfast. Lunch and Dinner should also be served even for meal time that open between 12-3pm and 6-9pm where we can get more food to eat...buffet food to serve is a lot better. Breakfast is inclusive during our stay and it's all good but again needs variety of food. We are getting tired of eating the same breakfast all the time. But these are just little things that can be done anytime. Iwill give 4 star to Viamede Resort. If it will be remodeled and updated then. It will be the # 1lakeside Resort in the future.... no kiddding. It's got the best location...breath taking views. It has so many things to offer and has a lot of opportunities. The view and the clear water from the Lake...the trail..hiking..water activities...and delicious food. My family feels like we are in our own backyard. We have access to everything with out the line up and register for any activities like other resorts do. It is so quite..so private and very relaxing. These are the type of atmosphere we need for a vacation..which we experienced at Viamede. The staff are all friendly. Ben, the owner and all the staff are so nice and very accommodating. The services we got are two thumbs up. Ben said its all about how he trusted his guests the reason why he made everything accessible and that is a very good attitude coming from him...keep it up!!! I can't wait to come back again and bring our family together...but hopefully the comments should be given attention to all the details mentioned to keep us coming back to the resort and be your regular cùstomer.

Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family
ViamedeResort, Owner at Viamede Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 8, 2016

Dear Vangie T,

Thank you for your comments. We are continuously updating and improving the resort, so we look forward to welcoming you back in the future!

Cheers

Reviewed July 29, 2016

This was our second stay at Viamede and I am not sure I wouldn't go back, but I am not sure I would either. The lake is beautiful, the outdoor pool was clean and the water trampoline and free water toys push the trip to a positive, but only just.

We stayed in a cottage which was dated and in need of repair but not far from what I expected; if you stay at Viamede be ready for rustic accomdation. The cleanliness of the room left much to be desired; cobwebs in the corners, dead bugs on the ceiling, the fireplace was overflowing with past fire ashes to the point the smell filled the cabin. I don't think the bathrooms were actually dirty but are in desperate need of repair and felt dirty.

The included breakfast was nice but with no daily variation it got old quickly, the boathouse pub had decent pub fare and a good view, the trails and small farm are a definite positive. A personal point of contention was the very good Jura espresso machines they have, one in the pub and one in the dining area, that no one new how to use. 5 attempts latter I never got a latte from a super automatic espresso machine...

The saving grace is a great lake and a nice beach. I just think a little attention to detail and a large renovation budget are needed.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family
2  Thank Ryan B

Dear Ryan B,

Thank you for your comments. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay overall, but apologies that some things were not up to expectation. We are continuously updating and renovating, so I do hope you'll be back in the future!

Reviewed July 28, 2016

We stayed in one of the 3 bedroom cottages 2015 August and with my family of 7 (3 adult girls & husband, 1 grand-daughter)and had a great time. Found staff very friendly and accommodating. When out of coffee or ice called front desk and had delivered. When need bed changes for guest was done with a smile. Booked the pontoon boat tour lots of fun and beautiful sights on the lake. Water toys available and at no extra cost...great for those young adults with lots of energy. Cottage rustic however very comfortable and that's what brings the charm! They had activities like evening marshmallow roast, scavenger hunt, shop and cook with the chef.

Room Tip: Book early and get lake view!
  • Stayed: August 2015, travelled with family

Dear suesherban,

Thanks so much for the kind review! We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed July 26, 2016

Last weekend, my wife and I got out of the city to celebrate our 25 th Anniversary. We wanted a causal place with a reputation for good service and great food. We were not disappointed.

We are both very experienced travelers. I have been to most of the major cities and countries around the world and have experience outstanding accommodation and food.

After much research on the internet we decided to travel to Stoney Lake, just outside of Peterborough Ontario and stay for a couple of nights at Viamede Resort, which is on the north end of the lake.

The location is beautiful, secluded and the water is clear , clean and refreshing ( in fact warmer than both the indoor and outdoor pools ).

We stayed in a suite at the Hill Top complex. Our room was clean, spacious and afforded a view of the water and the main lodge. This room had been recently renovated, as are many of the rooms and cottages at the resort.

Our suite had hard wood floors, a king size bed, a sofa and arm chair in a seating area, a fridge, microwave, whirlpool tub, balcony, and Flat screen TV.

Owner , Ben, has been updating the facilities and most should be completed in the near future.

The resort offers two on site restaurants, as well as a dining room where the inclusive breakfast is served, over looking the lake. The breakfast is bountiful and the only recommendation would be that a fresh cooked egg bar be added, in addition to the scrambled eggs. Nevertheless,it was a great way to start the day.

Your day can be filled with many activities, fishing, boating, swimming, hiking, sun bathing, watch the boats on the lake or just relaxing ... perhaps with a good book. The resort has many "toys" for which to do the activities and all are inclusive with your stay.

The surrounding area is beautiful, and the local small villages are a delight, and sometimes very surprising of what you can find there. Nice little hidden gems in Cottage Country.

The first night we chose to eat at the Boathouse Restaurant. This bistro provides an excellent selection of fresh local foods and craft beers. Our table was by the deck railing, with umbrella ( the sun was hot that day ) and overlooked the lake. The gentle breeze helped to cool things down and watching the boats could turn into a full time job.

Service was excellent, and the staff friendly, caring and knowledgeable.

I must give a shout out and thumbs up to Laura.

She was a delight and you could tell that she really enjoyed what she was doing. When she noticed, after I had eaten about half of my minced rib steak burger, that it was a little more well done than I had ordered, she offered to immediately have a new one made. I declined, as the meat was still delicious, the bun was excellent and, even though I am not usually a burger eater, this was an above average and flavorful meal. We did take up her offer of a complimentary resort baked dessert, which we took back to our suite for a late night snack in front to the word burning fireplace ( yes the day was hot, but the smell and the look of a wood burning fire ( wood supplied free of charge by the resort) was too much to resist. It was even better as I turned the ac on and we kept very comfortable )

The next night, dinner was a special occasion. When researching the Ontario resorts, what struck me about Viamede was the on site fine dinning restaurant , Mount Julian.

Chef Kevin McKenna offers a 5, 7 and 9 course tasting menu, with paired wines, and the menu changes weekly. The gourmet fare was excellent. The Chef prides himself on using ingredients from the on site farm and gardens, foraged items from the surrounding land and local foods from the farmers market and farmers. The wines were chosen to compliment each course. The did an excellent job.

The meal is not one to gobble and dash. You take your time and you savor every bite. We took 3.5 hours for our 9 course meal and it was worth every minute ( maybe you can invest in some more comfortable chairs for such a long dinning experience.. the only misstep we could find).

The service staff were way above par.

Jami and Nicole provided excellent service, were knowledgeable on every course, what was in each course, how it was prepared and appeared to really love what they were doing.They were also wonderful in describing the selected wine, where they came from and why they were picked for each course. You can tell that the Chef includes all his staff in every aspect and that he shares his experience and expertise with all of his team. Friendly, knowledgeable and enthusiastic in what they do. Delightful.

Jami and Nicole greatly added to an experience of the chef's creations and my wife and I will remember this meal for the rest of our days.

Over all, our experience was worth every penny. The place is a delightful place where you can be casual and comfortable, all the staff were friendly, outgoing and there to make your stay the best it could be. And the food was out of this world. We will make our way there again.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
3  Thank allanjackson2016

Dear allanjackson2016,

Thank you for the kind words! We're so happy that you and your wife enjoyed your stay. See you next time!

Reviewed July 25, 2016 via mobile

My husband and I researched a lot of places to take the dogs for a vacation. The places we looked at allowed dogs but charged higher prices and/or only allowed one dog per couple. What's great about Viamede is dogs are totally welcomed with friendly smiles and dog treats. They even provided us with a dog bed. We stayed in cottage number 412, with a fridge, microwave, Jacuzzi tub (next to bed) and a separate bathroom. It had a great view of Stoney lake from the window and it was a very short walk to the dog park and the sandy beach. They seem to have a lot to do and it's all free. You can take the canoe, kayak or play on the big trampoline in the lake. Plus they gave daily activities- one that includes a tour of their farm. We ate at the boathouse on site ( I recommend the fish and chips), Uncle George's about 5 mins away (great prime rib) and honey's diner 10 mins away. The food at all these places was amazing! The price you pay for the cottage also includes a great breakfast with the usual bacon, eggs, pancakes, bagels, fruit etc. The only thing that I think they can improve on is to give the cottage a fresh paint job just to coverup the marks on the wall. Can't wait until we return! ❤️

Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kendra D

Dear Kendra,

Thank you for your review! Hope to see you again soon.