“Our 1 year anniversary - 2 night stay”
Review of Viamede Resort

Viamede Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in North Kawartha
Mississauga
“Our 1 year anniversary - 2 night stay”
Reviewed 9 August 2016 via mobile

We were very happy with our stay! The staff is friendly and very accomodating. Food was amazing! Lots of activities and things to do including well needed R & R! We stayed in a cozy 1 bdrm cottage with our dog who also had a blast! Great view of the lake! Thank you everyone at Viamede! We will be back!

Trish & Steve

Stayed August 2016, travelled as a couple
ViamedeResort, Owner at Viamede Resort, responded to this review, 8 September 2016
Dear Trish and Steve,

Thanks for your review. We enjoyed having you here and hope to see you again soon!

Ben

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Mississauga, Canada
Reviewed 4 August 2016

Called the second week of March 2016 to inquire about their cabins. We were recommended Cabin 412 because it was shaded, on the beach, whirlpool tub and King size bed. So we booked for August 4-7th

Called again one week ago to confirm reservation. Also we received an email. Over the phone we were informed Cabin 412 was reserved for our Romantic Getaway for 2!
We made dinner reservations at a local Restaurant called Cassis Bistro.

After driving for 3 hours we ARRIVED/! Yay.
CHECK-IN.....IT ALL GOES SOUTH BUT YOU BE THE JUDGE.

Get to Front desk and told you have been moved to Cabin 403 and will receive 10% off price of $349/Night. Not happy but we go take a look. OH GAWD! It is a tiny rundown compartment in dire need of renovation. It has a small AC box lodged in a window and a small TV perched above a door.
RETURN TO FRONT DESK
Informed that we had never been promised Cabin 412. Well then why did you say we had been moved? Hmmmmmmm.
Offered 25% off. We declined the very polite young frontdesk fellow and said we should have been notified prior to making the trip to the Resort. He stated he would not charge us for the Night. We had spent $55 for gas and $20. on the 407 (toll hwy).
The front desk clerk was polite and stated he had spoken with the manager/owner Ben Solomon who had neither the professionalism or courtesy to come and speak with us.
We live 3 hours from Viamede. Does this resort pull the same deception on people who have driven from further destinations or travelling with young children.
VERY POOR BUSINESS PRACTICES!

• Stayed August 2016, travelled as a couple
4 Thank jennifertaylor085
Dear jennifertaylor085,

I am sorry about the mixup with your cottage - I can understand your frustration at being moved. We have reviewed front desk and booking policies to ensure this doesn't happen again.

Cheers
Georgetown, Canada
Reviewed 2 August 2016

I am going to start by saying I had fairly high expectations from our last visit years ago...unfortunately I was disappointed big time! The positive - our dogs had a blast, the views are spectacular and the staff was as accommodating as they could be. I can honestly say we felt for the money paid we were really let down. Our two bedroom cottage was supposed to provide the opportunity to reconnect with our young adult children, with a two seater couch in a gangway with a tv basically over our sink there was no way! Our master bedroom had a boarded up closet, no dresser so our suitcase sat on a tv table when it wasn't on the bed!! I had to ask for the tv table to get it off the floor...The cottage may have worked with small kids but with basically four adults it was painful to try and enjoy each others company...the quality time we had envisioned just could not happen in the gangway supposed to be our sitting/eating area. The amenities were minimal (or is rustic the terminology to use?) in the room.
The resort dining room is under staffed by two well meaning kids who were not trained to deal with the entire dining room...it was painfully apparent at breakfast, the one coffee carafe was always empty, there was always someone running to refill something. The breakfasts for 7 days were always the same with a variation on pancakes and waffles - otherwise no changes. In our 7 days we did not have a single day where we didn't have to wait for a table to be set and only once in the 7 days was a plate cleared while we were at the table. The kids really need to be taught how to run a dining room as there was no management to be seen at anytime during the trip, especially in the dining room! Breakfast was mainly just painful for all these reasons. There were some water toys other than that you were on your own. No social program to speak of and if the weather is bad you are stuck...For the several thousand dollars we spent we could have rented a cottage and gone out for breakfast and still been far ahead. We spoke to many of the guests up there. Some who had been visiting for years and all said the same. Way too much money for what you were getting...its a shame as the resort does have the making of a beautiful resort. If you are looking to be pampered or for a social program this is not the place to be. I must say I did talk to the front desk and they did try to accommodate by providing an extra chair and a tv table - not much they could do about the accommodations. However my request to speak to the manager on day 1 went unanswered during our stay.

2 Thank jennn333
Dear jennn333,

Our cottages are indeed a bit rustic, but it sounds like you may have needed one of our bigger cottages. We always try to match the cottage when we know the family size and planned activities, and I am sorry we let you down here.

We do have an extensive recreation program and lots of on-site activities, but I will take note to remind our staff to make sure guests are more aware of what's happening. I am surprised you did not enjoy breakfast, as our guests normally rave about it. I hope you'll give us another chance in the future.

Reviewed 2 August 2016

My husband and I just returned from a four day stay at Viamede. The only reason we would go back is because they let us bring our dog. He loved it but my husband and I not so much. Our cabin was not very clean and it was quite run down. The fridge needed to be cleaned too. A little quality control would go a long way. The food was good although the tasting menu at Mt. Julian was not worth the price. The lake was our biggest disappointment. When I called to ask about the inn, I specifically asked if the lake is weedy. The girl on the phone said "not that I am aware of". Well it is full of weeds. If you like to swim in the lake, don't book here because this lake is gross. Overall, not worth the cost.

Room Tip: Pick a cabin up on the hill and maybe you might have wifi. And bring a coffee maker. Our cabin didn...
  • Stayed July 2016, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Laura P
Dear Laura P,

I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay! Our cottages are rustic, but should certainly be clean - we have reviewed standards with our housekeeping team.

As for the lake, it is not normally weedy. However, drought conditions this summer have increased the amount of weeds in the lake. We do as much as we can to keep on top of it, but unfortunately sometimes Mother Nature has other plans.

Ajax, Canada
Reviewed 1 August 2016

This is our second time to Viamede and it did not disappoint. We had a wonderful relaxing time in cottage 402, on the waters edge.
As usual the staff were very attentive and the resort was clean and well maintained. A welcome addition this year is the indoor pool, complete with sauna and steam room. We also enjoyed the newly added fitness facility and yoga studio.
The fish were plentiful. We all caught fish however my son reeled in both a twelve inch and twenty inch bass.
All said, we had a great, relaxing family vacation and are planning to return next year.

Dear 859Keith859,

Thanks for your review! I'm happy to hear the whole family enjoyed your stay and we hope to see you next year!

Reviewed 30 July 2016 via mobile

It's our first time at Viamede Resort and stayed for 5 nights. We love the scenery...it is breath taking...so Beautiful! . My daughter love all the activities for kids...the trampoline..kayak..the kids games ...fishing...boat tour with Ben ( the owner).Thanks Ben for taking us!!! The inside and outside pool are clean...my daughter love it... but then its better if both are heated pool. She was shivering for 15 mins in the pool before she get use to the water. I heard it from other parents too. We never got the chance to do biking because there is no bike available for kids ages 5- 10 yrs old. PLease pay attention to this comment. ☺The food at the Boathouse is really good. We never get the chance to eat at Julian Inn Restaurant because they dont cater food for kids. The hotel room where we stayed is clean and updated. We just found out that the hotel building was built from18th century. It is well maintained ànd clean but the front and back lobby needs a touch up to create a cozy atmosphere inside. Guests like us who stayed at the hotel and can't cook are not like those who stayed in the cottage that can cook anytime. We need more restaurants. We suggest that the Dining Room should be open not only for breakfast. Lunch and Dinner should also be served even for meal time that open between 12-3pm and 6-9pm where we can get more food to eat...buffet food to serve is a lot better. Breakfast is inclusive during our stay and it's all good but again needs variety of food. We are getting tired of eating the same breakfast all the time. But these are just little things that can be done anytime. Iwill give 4 star to Viamede Resort. If it will be remodeled and updated then. It will be the # 1lakeside Resort in the future.... no kiddding. It's got the best location...breath taking views. It has so many things to offer and has a lot of opportunities. The view and the clear water from the Lake...the trail..hiking..water activities...and delicious food. My family feels like we are in our own backyard. We have access to everything with out the line up and register for any activities like other resorts do. It is so quite..so private and very relaxing. These are the type of atmosphere we need for a vacation..which we experienced at Viamede. The staff are all friendly. Ben, the owner and all the staff are so nice and very accommodating. The services we got are two thumbs up. Ben said its all about how he trusted his guests the reason why he made everything accessible and that is a very good attitude coming from him...keep it up!!! I can't wait to come back again and bring our family together...but hopefully the comments should be given attention to all the details mentioned to keep us coming back to the resort and be your regular cùstomer.

Stayed July 2016, travelled with family
Dear Vangie T,

Thank you for your comments. We are continuously updating and improving the resort, so we look forward to welcoming you back in the future!

Cheers
Reviewed 29 July 2016

This was our second stay at Viamede and I am not sure I wouldn't go back, but I am not sure I would either. The lake is beautiful, the outdoor pool was clean and the water trampoline and free water toys push the trip to a positive, but only just.

We stayed in a cottage which was dated and in need of repair but not far from what I expected; if you stay at Viamede be ready for rustic accomdation. The cleanliness of the room left much to be desired; cobwebs in the corners, dead bugs on the ceiling, the fireplace was overflowing with past fire ashes to the point the smell filled the cabin. I don't think the bathrooms were actually dirty but are in desperate need of repair and felt dirty.

The included breakfast was nice but with no daily variation it got old quickly, the boathouse pub had decent pub fare and a good view, the trails and small farm are a definite positive. A personal point of contention was the very good Jura espresso machines they have, one in the pub and one in the dining area, that no one new how to use. 5 attempts latter I never got a latte from a super automatic espresso machine...

The saving grace is a great lake and a nice beach. I just think a little attention to detail and a large renovation budget are needed.

2 Thank Ryan B
Dear Ryan B,

Thank you for your comments. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay overall, but apologies that some things were not up to expectation. We are continuously updating and renovating, so I do hope you'll be back in the future!

Also consider these accommodations in or near North Kawartha
11.5 km away
Beachwood Resort
Beachwood Resort
#1 of 10 in Lakefield

Been to Viamede Resort? Share your experiences!