“Fantastic Thanksgiving stay!”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in North Kawartha
TORONTO
“Fantastic Thanksgiving stay!”
Reviewed 11 October 2016

I grew up on Stoney Lake and Thanksgiving at Stoney Lake, one last kick at the can before putting the boat away is non-negotiable for me, however this year my parents place was stacked to the rafters with visiting family and it happened to be our 10th anniversary. Somehow sleeping on an air mattress or pull out couch didn't seem very romantic! So we decided to treat ourselves and book a cabin at Viamede resort so we could relax and escape all the family!

How fantastic the whole place is completely dog friendly - with a doggie swimming hole and fully-fenced dog park - a must for hounds.

All of the staff we encountered were wonderful, kind and generous. The activities were fantastic and laid back. We had a farm tour and wine tasting with Ben the charming GM, we hiked, swam in the stunning new indoor/outdoor pool and used the steam rooms and saunas.

We did not get a chance to eat in the Inn at Mount Julian (curse me for dragging my feet on making the reservation!) but the resort breakfasts included were great (I mean come on when is a chafing dish full of bacon a bad idea?) and the Thanksgiving buffet featuring turkeys from the farm in the dining room was wonderful. Amazing smoked fishes to start, the best turkey I've had in ages and possibly the best pumpkin pie ever (filled with maple syrup I think and a short crust)!

The Boat House pub was nice - the cheese board is amazing value - local cheeses, honey and a wild blueberry preserve. My husband really enjoyed his burger. My fish and chips came with a sumac tartar sauce which was really unique and tasty.

The only faults I had were the slightly temperamental coffee machine in the dining room and that there were some scuffs and things on the walls in our cabin and our shower curtain could stand to be replaced. BUT it's the end of a busy summer season and I suspect this wear and tear will be cleaned up over the winter. Other than that it was a wonderful time!

Room Tip: Cabins are mostly all a water view, just a couple are behind so ask when booking.
  • Stayed October 2016, travelled as a couple
ViamedeResort, General Manager at Viamede Resort, responded to this review, 1 November 2016
Dear Shana H,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at Viamede Resort and for your glowing review!

We are so happy to have helped in the celebration of you and your husbands 10th anniversary, and very glad you enjoyed your stay. We agree; lots of bacon is always a good idea!
Sorry to hear about the coffee machine giving you a hard time, we have been able to solve this issue and is making yummy cappuccinos again!

It was great to meet the two of you and we hope to see you again soon.

Ben

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 October 2016

I stayed in the main building for 2 nights in September. The room was decent, although could do with a little tlc (old buildings always do) and cleaning around the edgings needed a bit more attention but I slept well both nights.

I dined at both the on-site restaurant and the fine dining establishment. The fine dining was a very enjoyable experience and worth the money. The on-site restaurant is a lot more basic but good for families.

I enjoyed the provision of free facilities: rowing, swimming pool, gym, fishing equipment, cocktail lessons, etc. All this encourages you to actually try and do many things whilst there. I also went for a couple of runs in the grounds nearby and a gentle hike with the owner Ben and his two dogs!

I would happily stay here again, perhaps 3 nights next time so that I can spend a bit more time both relaxing and doing activities.

• Stayed September 2016, travelled with family
1 Thank JDOutterson
Dear JDOutterson,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay.

I am glad to hear your enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for your comments regarding housekeeping, we have recently done a large overhaul of "sprucing up" areas of the resort, and deep cleaning which we think has improved the areas you are referring to.

I am also happy to hear you were able to take advantage of some of the activities we offer, we like to keep things interesting and offer fun new things for our guests.

Thanks for coming along on our hike, hope to see you again soon!

Elora, Canada
Reviewed 10 October 2016 via mobile

I love the atmosphere of Viamede as it is welcoming and relaxed and not at all stuffy or pretentious. The food is plentiful and much of it is locally grown. Our room 607 was spacious and our beds were very comfortable. The room was a bit sparse in furniture and could use a table and chairs. The coffee was not great throughout the resort but the wine and beer were varied and of craft quality. We loved the pool and took advantage of the hiking trails and the rec centre. I would definitely visit again and I can't wait for the opportunity.

Stayed October 2016, travelled with family
Dear Alannaking,

Thank you for your review!
We do boast ourselves on being a personable and homey resort - so thank you for mentioning that.

I am glad to hear you took advantage of the property and enjoyed yourselves, we hope to see you back again soon!

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 7 October 2016

The rooms and cabins are in the midst of a slow renovation but that's not why you should come here. I'd give them 3 - 4 stars depending which you pick. The food is five star terrific - and much of it raised on premises. High end dining is offered via the tasting menus of Mount Julian. Chef Kevin McKenna has access to a property of 165 acres and a working on-site farm filled with livestock and vegetables and he makes the most of it. Tasting menus are themed according to what's being harvested. Tomatoes were ripe when we were there and appeared in clear tomato soup, panzanella salad, on the ice cider trout dish, the Lake Erie pickerel as tomato butter, as a fresh accent to 50 Shades of Rabbit and so forth. Go all out and pick the 9 course tasting menu ($115 prix fixe) and take the pairing with Ontario wines. It's well worth the money. Dockside lunches are simpler but also delicious such as the Viamede Fish & Chip - one of the best versions of this I've eaten. There's plenty to do to work off all the food. Indoor/outdoor swimming pool, lake activities, fitness facility, yoga studio, trails for hiking in summer or snowmobiling in winter and on.

Room Tip: For internet the modernized hilltop rooms have the best connection along with those in the main lodg...
  • Stayed September 2016, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Margaret S
Dear Margaret,

Thank you for taking the time in sharing your feedback!

I am glad to learn you enjoyed your stay with us, and the culinary experience with Chef McKenna.

We hope to see you return one day soon!

Reviewed 3 October 2016

My boyfriend and I stayed in one of their cabins/cottages with our dog. The cabin was filthy; fridge was disgusting, old coffee grounds in the coffee maker, floor was filthy and there were cobwebs and dead bugs everywhere. For $360 per night, no one came to clean our room at all. The price included a buffet breakfast and their scrambled eggs were not real, they came out of a carton and this is a resort that is proud to have a small farm on property. How hard is it to get real eggs!? The entire resort at one time must have been beautiful but there is such a lack of maintenance on the property it's sad. I called what I think was the GM and left a voice mail as I wanted to give him the opportunity to respond to me but as of today, it's been a week and have not heard a word which is why I'm writing this review.

• Stayed September 2016, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kari T
ViamedeResort, Front Office Manager at Viamede Resort, responded to this review, 30 October 2016
Dear Kari T,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments. I am very sorry to hear you had a negative experience. It is certainly not our usual practice for a room to not be up to standards or without housekeeping service. With Summer coming to an end we are working as hard as we can to continue to maintain the property and grounds as it should, but with less staff.
We are always working towards improving our guest's experience, which is why it is important to us to hear from our guests.

Thanks again,

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 26 September 2016

Three female friends shared a two-bedroom cottage with a pullout couch in L-R; 3 sharing made the cottage cost effective [at over $400/night, a little pricey for a family, although this price includes a full hot breakfast].

We stayed Friday night to attend "The Gathering" culinary feast -- which was beyond amazing!!!
Chef McKenna and his team outdid themselves; we had an absolutely wonderful time, stuffing ourselves with excellent food & washing it down with excellent wine & cider.
A VERY good time was had by all!! I highly recommend this event which is held just once or twice a year -- and although we did not eat in the restaurant [Mount Julian], i hope to return to try it.

But I have a complaint that echoes others on this site -- that maintenance needs improving. The cottage was not "up to snuff" for the price. Sweet & roomy, wonderful beds & linens; a lovely verandah and view
BUT: all windows & screens need a good wash; there was leftover food left in the fridge; there was an open bag of chips in the cupboard; the toilet paper holder was affixed to plaster & was falling off [DID fall off]; the floors needed a better cleaning, especially in corners; the porch & exterior need power-washing; the tea kettle did not work [but we made tea water in the microwave].
And although we booked for 3 people weeks in advance, the pullout was not made up nor linens provided until we asked; there were 2 bath towels in bathroom, not 3 [although more were cheerfully provided].
BOTTOM LINE: I had a wonderful time & would return but I urge management to improve training for housekeeping staff.

• Stayed September 2016, travelled with friends
ViamedeResort, Owner at Viamede Resort, responded to this review, 3 October 2016
Dear LoyalFox,

Thank you for your comments and I'm happy to hear you and your friends enjoyed your stay! I appreciate the feedback on the maintenance issues - we are in the process of implementing an overhaul of our housekeeping procedures and will address your concerns.

Cheers!
Reviewed 21 September 2016

We were up there for a wedding, the food and the location were great. Everything else left a lot to be desired. Rooms weren't cleaned when they were supposed to be, toilet papers and towels were not replaced. small things like that , that left a huge impact.

By far the worst customer service I have ever experienced. Management needs to step up and be accountable

• Stayed September 2016, travelled with family
2 Thank Ben M
Dear Ben M,

Thank you for your feedback. We are in the process of implementing an overhaul of our housekeeping procedures and will address your concerns as part of this.

Cheers!
11.5 km away
Beachwood Resort
Beachwood Resort
#1 of 10 in Lakefield

Been to Viamede Resort? Share your experiences!