All reviews long weekend beautiful location stoney lake dining room indoor pool on site main building the pub sausage boat house course tasting menu bedroom cottage water trampoline attention to detail hiking trails view of the lake cottage country
Reviewed October 11, 2016

I stayed in the main building for 2 nights in September. The room was decent, although could do with a little tlc (old buildings always do) and cleaning around the edgings needed a bit more attention but I slept well both nights.

I dined at both the on-site restaurant and the fine dining establishment. The fine dining was a very enjoyable experience and worth the money. The on-site restaurant is a lot more basic but good for families.

I enjoyed the provision of free facilities: rowing, swimming pool, gym, fishing equipment, cocktail lessons, etc. All this encourages you to actually try and do many things whilst there. I also went for a couple of runs in the grounds nearby and a gentle hike with the owner Ben and his two dogs!

I would happily stay here again, perhaps 3 nights next time so that I can spend a bit more time both relaxing and doing activities.

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank JDOutterson
ViamedeResort, General Manager at Viamede Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2016

Dear JDOutterson,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay.

I am glad to hear your enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for your comments regarding housekeeping, we have recently done a large overhaul of "sprucing up" areas of the resort, and deep cleaning which we think has improved the areas you are referring to.

I am also happy to hear you were able to take advantage of some of the activities we offer, we like to keep things interesting and offer fun new things for our guests.

Thanks for coming along on our hike, hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed October 10, 2016 via mobile

I love the atmosphere of Viamede as it is welcoming and relaxed and not at all stuffy or pretentious. The food is plentiful and much of it is locally grown. Our room 607 was spacious and our beds were very comfortable. The room was a bit sparse in furniture and could use a table and chairs. The coffee was not great throughout the resort but the wine and beer were varied and of craft quality. We loved the pool and took advantage of the hiking trails and the rec centre. I would definitely visit again and I can't wait for the opportunity.

Stayed: October 2016, travelled with family

Dear Alannaking,

Thank you for your review!
We do boast ourselves on being a personable and homey resort - so thank you for mentioning that.

I am glad to hear you took advantage of the property and enjoyed yourselves, we hope to see you back again soon!

Reviewed October 7, 2016

The rooms and cabins are in the midst of a slow renovation but that's not why you should come here. I'd give them 3 - 4 stars depending which you pick. The food is five star terrific - and much of it raised on premises. High end dining is offered via the tasting menus of Mount Julian. Chef Kevin McKenna has access to a property of 165 acres and a working on-site farm filled with livestock and vegetables and he makes the most of it. Tasting menus are themed according to what's being harvested. Tomatoes were ripe when we were there and appeared in clear tomato soup, panzanella salad, on the ice cider trout dish, the Lake Erie pickerel as tomato butter, as a fresh accent to 50 Shades of Rabbit and so forth. Go all out and pick the 9 course tasting menu ($115 prix fixe) and take the pairing with Ontario wines. It's well worth the money. Dockside lunches are simpler but also delicious such as the Viamede Fish & Chip - one of the best versions of this I've eaten. There's plenty to do to work off all the food. Indoor/outdoor swimming pool, lake activities, fitness facility, yoga studio, trails for hiking in summer or snowmobiling in winter and on.

Room Tip: For internet the modernized hilltop rooms have the best connection along with those in the main lodge. The cabins I saw were really rustic.
  • Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Margaret S

Dear Margaret,

Thank you for taking the time in sharing your feedback!

I am glad to learn you enjoyed your stay with us, and the culinary experience with Chef McKenna.

We hope to see you return one day soon!

Reviewed October 3, 2016

My boyfriend and I stayed in one of their cabins/cottages with our dog. The cabin was filthy; fridge was disgusting, old coffee grounds in the coffee maker, floor was filthy and there were cobwebs and dead bugs everywhere. For $360 per night, no one came to clean our room at all. The price included a buffet breakfast and their scrambled eggs were not real, they came out of a carton and this is a resort that is proud to have a small farm on property. How hard is it to get real eggs!? The entire resort at one time must have been beautiful but there is such a lack of maintenance on the property it's sad. I called what I think was the GM and left a voice mail as I wanted to give him the opportunity to respond to me but as of today, it's been a week and have not heard a word which is why I'm writing this review.

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kari T
ViamedeResort, Front Office Manager at Viamede Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2016

Dear Kari T,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments. I am very sorry to hear you had a negative experience. It is certainly not our usual practice for a room to not be up to standards or without housekeeping service. With Summer coming to an end we are working as hard as we can to continue to maintain the property and grounds as it should, but with less staff.
We are always working towards improving our guest's experience, which is why it is important to us to hear from our guests.

Thanks again,

Reviewed September 26, 2016

Three female friends shared a two-bedroom cottage with a pullout couch in L-R; 3 sharing made the cottage cost effective [at over $400/night, a little pricey for a family, although this price includes a full hot breakfast].

We stayed Friday night to attend "The Gathering" culinary feast -- which was beyond amazing!!!
Chef McKenna and his team outdid themselves; we had an absolutely wonderful time, stuffing ourselves with excellent food & washing it down with excellent wine & cider.
A VERY good time was had by all!! I highly recommend this event which is held just once or twice a year -- and although we did not eat in the restaurant [Mount Julian], i hope to return to try it.

But I have a complaint that echoes others on this site -- that maintenance needs improving. The cottage was not "up to snuff" for the price. Sweet & roomy, wonderful beds & linens; a lovely verandah and view
BUT: all windows & screens need a good wash; there was leftover food left in the fridge; there was an open bag of chips in the cupboard; the toilet paper holder was affixed to plaster & was falling off [DID fall off]; the floors needed a better cleaning, especially in corners; the porch & exterior need power-washing; the tea kettle did not work [but we made tea water in the microwave].
And although we booked for 3 people weeks in advance, the pullout was not made up nor linens provided until we asked; there were 2 bath towels in bathroom, not 3 [although more were cheerfully provided].
BOTTOM LINE: I had a wonderful time & would return but I urge management to improve training for housekeeping staff.

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled with friends
ViamedeResort, Owner at Viamede Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2016

Dear LoyalFox,

Thank you for your comments and I'm happy to hear you and your friends enjoyed your stay! I appreciate the feedback on the maintenance issues - we are in the process of implementing an overhaul of our housekeeping procedures and will address your concerns.

Cheers!