I grew up on Stoney Lake and Thanksgiving at Stoney Lake, one last kick at the can before putting the boat away is non-negotiable for me, however this year my parents place was stacked to the rafters with visiting family and it happened to be our 10th anniversary. Somehow sleeping on an air mattress or pull out couch didn't seem very romantic! So we decided to treat ourselves and book a cabin at Viamede resort so we could relax and escape all the family!
How fantastic the whole place is completely dog friendly - with a doggie swimming hole and fully-fenced dog park - a must for hounds.
All of the staff we encountered were wonderful, kind and generous. The activities were fantastic and laid back. We had a farm tour and wine tasting with Ben the charming GM, we hiked, swam in the stunning new indoor/outdoor pool and used the steam rooms and saunas.
We did not get a chance to eat in the Inn at Mount Julian (curse me for dragging my feet on making the reservation!) but the resort breakfasts included were great (I mean come on when is a chafing dish full of bacon a bad idea?) and the Thanksgiving buffet featuring turkeys from the farm in the dining room was wonderful. Amazing smoked fishes to start, the best turkey I've had in ages and possibly the best pumpkin pie ever (filled with maple syrup I think and a short crust)!
The Boat House pub was nice - the cheese board is amazing value - local cheeses, honey and a wild blueberry preserve. My husband really enjoyed his burger. My fish and chips came with a sumac tartar sauce which was really unique and tasty.
The only faults I had were the slightly temperamental coffee machine in the dining room and that there were some scuffs and things on the walls in our cabin and our shower curtain could stand to be replaced. BUT it's the end of a busy summer season and I suspect this wear and tear will be cleaned up over the winter. Other than that it was a wonderful time!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located only 40 minutes north of Peterborough, Viamede is nestled in the woods on the north shore of Stoney Lake, one of Ontario's most beautiful lakes. Our resort facilities are well suited to both relaxation and adventure. Explore the 165 acres of nature that Viamede offers by hiking our 6 km of private nature trails or canoeing the islands of beautiful Stoney Lake. Enjoy an evening barbecuing on your private patio or join us at the Boathouse Pub for live music, great food and cold craft beers for summer time fun. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity.ca and Evoline ltd so you can book your Viamede Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Viamede Hotel North Kawartha
- Viamede Resort North Kawartha, Ontario