All reviews long weekend beautiful location stoney lake dining room indoor pool on site main building the pub sausage boat house course tasting menu bedroom cottage water trampoline attention to detail hiking trails view of the lake cottage country
Reviewed October 18, 2016

We had a massive king suite on the hill. It had two balconies, a double sided fireplace, living room, separate bedroom with soaker tub and bathroom. Even a small kitchen area with fridge and microwave. The morning breakfast was included. It was a nice buffet with an ok selection. The sausages were amazing but scrambled eggs a bit rubbery but it was included so that was fine. Each night they had a bonfire with smores. Such a nice touch. Our room # was 314. Only suggestion would be to stock the kitchen area with some plates and cutlery. It is a big area so there is room. There was a gentleman there that worked the front desk and served us at Mount Julian. He is either the owner or manager. His service was top notch and took care of anything we needed. We even had Stoney Lake Spa come and do massage therapy in our room. Go to Mount Julian for dinner. It is so good.

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
ViamedeResort, General Manager at Viamede Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2016

Dear Majica101,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review,

We are glad you enjoyed your suite and your stay with us, yes; this time of year is especially beautiful with the colours, and we love to share this with our guests.

Thanks so much for the shout out! it was a pleasure to meet you and serve you at Mt Julian.

In terms of your comments for improving the suite- these are appreciated and noted!

Hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed October 11, 2016

I grew up on Stoney Lake and Thanksgiving at Stoney Lake, one last kick at the can before putting the boat away is non-negotiable for me, however this year my parents place was stacked to the rafters with visiting family and it happened to be our 10th anniversary. Somehow sleeping on an air mattress or pull out couch didn't seem very romantic! So we decided to treat ourselves and book a cabin at Viamede resort so we could relax and escape all the family!

How fantastic the whole place is completely dog friendly - with a doggie swimming hole and fully-fenced dog park - a must for hounds.

All of the staff we encountered were wonderful, kind and generous. The activities were fantastic and laid back. We had a farm tour and wine tasting with Ben the charming GM, we hiked, swam in the stunning new indoor/outdoor pool and used the steam rooms and saunas.

We did not get a chance to eat in the Inn at Mount Julian (curse me for dragging my feet on making the reservation!) but the resort breakfasts included were great (I mean come on when is a chafing dish full of bacon a bad idea?) and the Thanksgiving buffet featuring turkeys from the farm in the dining room was wonderful. Amazing smoked fishes to start, the best turkey I've had in ages and possibly the best pumpkin pie ever (filled with maple syrup I think and a short crust)!

The Boat House pub was nice - the cheese board is amazing value - local cheeses, honey and a wild blueberry preserve. My husband really enjoyed his burger. My fish and chips came with a sumac tartar sauce which was really unique and tasty.

The only faults I had were the slightly temperamental coffee machine in the dining room and that there were some scuffs and things on the walls in our cabin and our shower curtain could stand to be replaced. BUT it's the end of a busy summer season and I suspect this wear and tear will be cleaned up over the winter. Other than that it was a wonderful time!

Room Tip: Cabins are mostly all a water view, just a couple are behind so ask when booking.
  • Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple

Dear Shana H,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at Viamede Resort and for your glowing review!

We are so happy to have helped in the celebration of you and your husbands 10th anniversary, and very glad you enjoyed your stay. We agree; lots of bacon is always a good idea!
Sorry to hear about the coffee machine giving you a hard time, we have been able to solve this issue and is making yummy cappuccinos again!

It was great to meet the two of you and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed October 11, 2016

I stayed in the main building for 2 nights in September. The room was decent, although could do with a little tlc (old buildings always do) and cleaning around the edgings needed a bit more attention but I slept well both nights.

I dined at both the on-site restaurant and the fine dining establishment. The fine dining was a very enjoyable experience and worth the money. The on-site restaurant is a lot more basic but good for families.

I enjoyed the provision of free facilities: rowing, swimming pool, gym, fishing equipment, cocktail lessons, etc. All this encourages you to actually try and do many things whilst there. I also went for a couple of runs in the grounds nearby and a gentle hike with the owner Ben and his two dogs!

I would happily stay here again, perhaps 3 nights next time so that I can spend a bit more time both relaxing and doing activities.

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank JDOutterson

Dear JDOutterson,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay.

I am glad to hear your enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for your comments regarding housekeeping, we have recently done a large overhaul of "sprucing up" areas of the resort, and deep cleaning which we think has improved the areas you are referring to.

I am also happy to hear you were able to take advantage of some of the activities we offer, we like to keep things interesting and offer fun new things for our guests.

Thanks for coming along on our hike, hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed October 10, 2016 via mobile

I love the atmosphere of Viamede as it is welcoming and relaxed and not at all stuffy or pretentious. The food is plentiful and much of it is locally grown. Our room 607 was spacious and our beds were very comfortable. The room was a bit sparse in furniture and could use a table and chairs. The coffee was not great throughout the resort but the wine and beer were varied and of craft quality. We loved the pool and took advantage of the hiking trails and the rec centre. I would definitely visit again and I can't wait for the opportunity.

Stayed: October 2016, travelled with family

Dear Alannaking,

Thank you for your review!
We do boast ourselves on being a personable and homey resort - so thank you for mentioning that.

I am glad to hear you took advantage of the property and enjoyed yourselves, we hope to see you back again soon!

Reviewed October 7, 2016

The rooms and cabins are in the midst of a slow renovation but that's not why you should come here. I'd give them 3 - 4 stars depending which you pick. The food is five star terrific - and much of it raised on premises. High end dining is offered via the tasting menus of Mount Julian. Chef Kevin McKenna has access to a property of 165 acres and a working on-site farm filled with livestock and vegetables and he makes the most of it. Tasting menus are themed according to what's being harvested. Tomatoes were ripe when we were there and appeared in clear tomato soup, panzanella salad, on the ice cider trout dish, the Lake Erie pickerel as tomato butter, as a fresh accent to 50 Shades of Rabbit and so forth. Go all out and pick the 9 course tasting menu ($115 prix fixe) and take the pairing with Ontario wines. It's well worth the money. Dockside lunches are simpler but also delicious such as the Viamede Fish & Chip - one of the best versions of this I've eaten. There's plenty to do to work off all the food. Indoor/outdoor swimming pool, lake activities, fitness facility, yoga studio, trails for hiking in summer or snowmobiling in winter and on.

Room Tip: For internet the modernized hilltop rooms have the best connection along with those in the main lodge. The cabins I saw were really rustic.
  • Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Margaret S

Dear Margaret,

Thank you for taking the time in sharing your feedback!

I am glad to learn you enjoyed your stay with us, and the culinary experience with Chef McKenna.

We hope to see you return one day soon!