All reviews long weekend beautiful location stoney lake dining room indoor pool on site main building the pub mount julian sausage boat house water trampoline course tasting menu bedroom cottage hiking trails view of the lake cottage country
Reviewed February 7, 2017

We went to Viamede Resort this Winter to escape the city for two nights.
The regular rooms were $200.00 plus tax a night including breakfast.
We liked the fact that we were away from the city but found that our room had mice with mouse droppings under our sink and on our towels in the bathroom that had not been cleaned up.
Also there were not a lot of options given to us for dinner. We wanted to see the menu for the restaurant inside the main building but were told they were changed often and they did not have one. Thankfully we brought up food for the first night. There are no decent restaurants close by, but we had no idea, and no way you could drive out at night because there are no lights. You have no choice but to eat there. The best they could do was $75.00 each at their Mt. Julian Restaurant for a 5 course tasting menu.
The food was just okay and we were discouraged from ordering off the menu because that was "boring" and told the 5 course was a better choice, we did not even get to look at the menu.
So we had no idea what was coming and no choice. The food was nicely decorated but each course was so small, the smallest we have ever seen, we were so disappointed. Also the Waiter explained what everything was and was very annoying because just as we finished a course he was there asking what we liked about the course and that at the end we need to tell him which course we liked the best. We went to the Resort to relax and not to be asked constantly about the small courses we were receiving. Thank goodness they gave us bread twice, otherwise we would have been starving. I ordered wine and received two very small glasses of a cheap wine for 15.00 each. Our bill was over $235.00 for this and we would never go back, it was not worth the huge bill. For two nights and one dinner we paid over $700.00.
I would not recommend this Resort due to the fact that everything was overpriced. Especially for Winter. Also the dinner at Mt. Julian is not worth the money...

I believe the staff are told to only offer dinner at Mt Julian and to try to push the 5, 7, or nine course tasting menu and I believe the 9 course is $150.00 each. This is very pushy and not the kind of place I would recommend to friends.

Room tip: Do not bother
Date of stay: February 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank 860ginger
ViamedeResort, Owner at Viamede Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 8, 2017

Hi 860ginger,

I'm very sorry that we didn't live up to your expectations. There are certainly some surprising notes in your review, and I will look into why you were not given a menu for our other restaurant, 1885. We certainly want guests to choose their own experience, and we're quite proud of the more casual experience in 1885.

You are right that we spend quite a bit of time talking about food at Mount Julian, with most people ordering a tasting menu and getting surprised with each course.

It sounds like you might enjoy the summer more, with casual dining at the Boathouse restaurant and more activities.

Please let me know if there's anything I can do for you.

Ben Samann

Reviewed February 5, 2017 via mobile

My husband and I had a great weekend at Viamede. The customer service was fantastic, all of the staff very friendly. Upon arriving to our cottage we had a nice bottle of wine and flowers seeing as it was a belated anniversary weekend, which Ben had asked when I booked if it was a special occasion. Very nice touch thank you! Our cottage was great with a wood burning fireplace, it's a nice simple rustic cottage (which we like about cottages) with a comfortable bed and great view. After a day of cross country skiing and ice fishing we were able to take a sauna and swim at the resort, which was a great addition to our day. ( love the excercise room too) The resort had many antique treasures native to Ontario and history or Stoney lake and the kawarthas. Very nice touch and interesting to walk around and see photos, documents etc. Our breakfast which was included with our bed and breakfast package was great. Our dinner both evenings at the Mount Julian restaurant was nothing short of incredible with very personal service, an extensive wine menu, and the food was fantastic. It's was nice to see the herbs growing in the resort to be used with our meal.
The resort is also pet friendly and you can tell all of the staff love animals.
Thank you for a great weekend! We will be back!
A great resort with a lot of history.
Also special thank you to Ben, Becky, our Mount Julian inn chef, Jay and to the housekeeping for bringing us fresh towels.

Date of stay: February 2017
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
ViamedeResort, Owner at Viamede Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 7, 2017

Dear Jacqueline B,

It was a pleasure meeting you both! Hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed January 27, 2017

Just under two hours away from Toronto, visiting Viamede Resort was a lovely weekend break.
Quiet in January, it felt like we had the resort to ourselves, except for the friendly staff.
The accommodation was nice - the kind size bed was very comfy. The breakfast each day was really tasty with huge portions. We enjoyed their 7-course tasting menu at the next door Mt. Julian which was excellent.
I would love to come back in the summer to spend more time outdoors on their extensive property.

Date of stay: January 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
ViamedeResort, Owner at Viamede Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2017

Hi Megan,

Thanks for your review. Great to hear that you enjoyed yourself, and we hope to see you in the summer!

Reviewed December 7, 2016

Just there for a short business conference in December after a few stressful weeks. The food served was delicious, with seasonal vegetables and several options to choose from. Room was spacious and clean. The best part was at the end of the day I used the gym and pool area. The gym is new with plenty of equipment and natural light. I spent the evening between the sauna, steam room and indoor/outdoor pool. It was so relaxing! There is a 24/7 den area with many board games, couches, and wood fireplace. There is a great view of the lake.

Date of stay: December 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
ViamedeResort, Owner at Viamede Resort, responded to this reviewResponded December 19, 2016

Dear Erin,

Thanks for your kind words! I'm glad to hear you enjoyed yourself and made ample use of the sauna, gym and pool!

Hope to see you again soon,

Reviewed November 14, 2016

Was very concerned about the safety of the resort. The dock railing snapped in half leaving my husband falling into the Rocky water ruining his wallet, cell phone and hurting his hand. the irony was he reaching to pull out a resort chair. The resort staff and management didn't do anything about it. Didn't reply to voice mails or emails, then months later said they can't be responsible for guests ruining cell phones. Just didn't get the point.

I stayed at viamede for years and have now seen a significant decline in the upkeep and customer service in the resort.

This is the first review I have ever written. That's how disappointing this resort has become. What a shame. Nice location, but without safety and customer services, it won't survive.

Date of stay: September 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
2  Thank shelleywoods05
ViamedeResort, General Manager at Viamede Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 24, 2016

Dear Shelley,

I am sorry to hear that you had this experience. Safety is very important to us and we inspect the docks regularly, ensuring that the metal posts are structurally sound. We will certainly inspect them again when we install in the spring. If you have any further concerns, please do contact me directly.

Cheers,