“Tranquil”

Cuisines: Austrian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 16 August 2015

Small hotel outside of the city, by car 5 minuttes from the lake. The staff is very kind. The rooms are not large and not luxurious. In the morning the street can be noisy. The breakfast is very plentyful for such a small hotel.

1  Thank Giovanni L
There are newer reviews for Gasthof Engelhof

Reviewed 5 March 2015

Whilst this beautiful area boasts of many restaurants, most are forgettable. Engelhof fortunately kicks the trend. Situated a couple of kilometres from the centre, this restaurant is characterised for the following. Professional and friendly service that accompanies an excellent kitchen. There is a wide and interesting choice of dishes makes a welcome change from the usual schnitzels, dumplings and beef goulash. Both the lamb and the fish that we had for lunch was of an excellent quality and extremely tasty. Also the "menu of the day" is both affordable and to be recommended. The fact that so many local business people use this restaurant all year round, speaks to the reputation that it has acquired. Luckily we've never had a disappointing meal at Englehof.
Sadly the choice of deserts are somewhat lacking in imagination

Reviewed 5 March 2014

Feeling slightly guilty so I thought I could at the very least compliment this restaurant on two key things: quality and service. I arrived after a long walk from town to find the only restaurant (it seems) open after 6pm in Gmunden on a Wednesday night in the off-season. It is a LONG walk though (at least 20 minutes), so I would imagine this restaurant is for those who live very close by or have a car.

Anyway, I arrived, pretty hungry and was pleased to get a seat straight away (though I was a bit disappointed to have to sit in the non-smoking section which is lit like a hospital A&E waiting room, rather than the cosy smoking section. As an aside, having read the review from a Californian tourist belly-aching about the smoking law in Austria, which I actually think is very civilised - smoking is a reality in most restaurants, and you have a choice - tolerate the smoking section or go to a non-smoking restaurant.) The only problem was that I had arrived during Fish Week and everything on the menu was fish (excluding the desserts - I think). But I don't eat fish! So I asked in my broken German if there were any other options. A quick return visit from the kitchen revealed that I could order a good old-fashioned wiener schnitzel, or beef goulash. I'm not a vegetarian, so both these options suited me, and I went for the schnitzel. I've even plenty of these since arriving in Austria, and this was a good one. Potatoes were over-boiled, but the accompanying salad was fresh (and soaked in vinegar as all salads seem to be here).

So a triumph for the restaurant, being prepared to allow me to go off-menu slightly, without a fuss, and then prepare something that was pretty good. And the price was about right for a restaurant on the outskirts of a tiny provincial town.

So apologies for not leaving a tip, GE, but by way of recompense: I recommend this restaurant - and would probably have done so even if it hadn't been the only one open!

2  Thank playboyrichard
Reviewed 17 December 2013

What could have been a very good experience at this restaurant turned into a very average one at best. We came here based on the reviews plus there are not many choices for restaurants in this area. When we arrived the restaurant it was busy but there were a number of empty tables in a front section. One of the staff said that they were booked but could get us a table in the back. Thought that would be ok but little did we know that it was a dedicated room for smokers and I really mean smokers! We are from California and it was unbearable.

We asked if we could sit somewhere else and he said that it would be at least a 40 minute wait. Being very hungry and a bit tired having driven in from Vienna just before dinner, we decided to just try and bear it. The staff member tried to be helpful by opening another door to help the air circulate a bit more but it didn't help matters much. I had dined in Paris restaurants before the ban in January of 2008 and had never seen this many diners smoke at the frequency that the ones in our section did. The term "chain smokers" was most applicable here.

The food was actually very good as was the pricing. The service was also attentive and efficient. So what could have been an enjoyable dinner with solid food and service ended up being marginal at best. I originally wanted to give a poor rating but felt that it would been a much better experience in the non smoking part of the restaurant. Also on the way out and believe me we didn't stay that long, I saw that the front section that was supposed to have been reserved had only 2 tables occupied out of 7. That was a bit disturbing. We also had to air out our clothes on our balconies and take another shower it was that bad. If you do come here and are sensitive to cigarette smoke, don't even contemplate taking a table in that room. It's just much better to wait if you can. Hopefully the country of Austria will ban smoking in restaurants one day.

Reviewed 27 July 2013 via mobile

My favourite restaurant in this region! Never ever had a bad meal there , everything at a very high quality and standard . I can especially recommend the Carpaccio! Regional lovingly prepared food at decent price,great and friendly service ,one in a million! My family and I love this place!

4  Thank fabiolafree