All reviews steam room main building enjoyed every minute great style dinner one night spa area fireplace manor suite ardennes candles massage belgium surroundings woods mixing modernity
Reviewed July 30, 2012

The rooms are great (get a suite: since you're spending the money anyway, you may as well); the scenery is beautiful; the spa is large and very good quality; and the food and wine, which are definitely the highlight of the whole place, are superb. The service is very attentive, but not intrusive.

Really perfect for a relaxing, get-away-from-it weekend. It is expensive, and bear in mind that you will end up spending quite a bit on food and drink as well, but it's a great place to get away from the city and get some country air.

The only slight criticism is the lack of much outdoor facilities. Many spa hotels in Belgium have outdoor pools or spa areas, whereas this does not. On a lovely sunny day here, you can sit on the terrace or the lounge area (which are both outdoors, and great) but you can't have a swim.

Strongly recommended though. We will be going back.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed April 23, 2012

To escape to an escape in Belgium where you do not hear traffic, airplanes (OK, once I heard a very teeny airplane, but it was very teeny), trains etc is a miracle in itself. To escape to a castle, a place of magic discretion, charming loveliness, a bedroom you find difficult to leave, a bath with view over the forests that makes you swear this is a scene in a movie, a restaurant with an exceptional wine list and menu and service to match, a spa that is roomy and private, a talented massage therapist... well, the miracle simply compounded, glamourously exploded, and I was definitely a princess for a night. (The prince scored immense points.) What a magical place!

Room Tip: We stayed in Suite Castellane, which is not one of the most expensive, and it was absolutely perfect.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed April 10, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel a few times - with friends, with my fiancee, also once with family. First for the downsides: the hotel is a bit quiet during the week and the most beautiful rooms are really a bit expensive.
Now for the positives: EVERYTHING ELSE. Really. I mean, have you tried the food? And did you not run straight to the kitchen and start worship the talents of Mr. Olivier Tucki? No? You barbaric oaf, go apologize to him right now. This man creates dishes from both the most basic of basics (a soft-boiled egg on mashed potatoes has never been so foodgasm) and the most rich of riches (yes, that is fried foie gras on top of the most perfect tournedos you'll ever have). Add a very nice winelist (it might help that Olivier's brother owns a winery) and you know how to spend the afternoon (by the fireplace, wondering how life can get any better than this).
The service is mostly outstanding - for instance, you only need to identify yourself once when checking in and everyone will know you from that moment on. The spa is beautiful and recently renovated and the surroundings are perfect for a walk in the woods. And now I'm at the end of positive things to say as it starts to sound like I'm rambling - but it's all true, dammit, all perfect! (until you see the bill...)

Room Tip: Get either the standard room or one of the best suites - the "Suite Manoriale" is in the midrange and is neither "just a nice room" nor a "really beautiful suite".
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed December 18, 2011

My Husband and I spent 2 nights at this Hotel as part of a romantic break. The Hotel is is a beautiful building and the grounds are breathtaking.
Our Room had a 4 Poster Bed, a real fire which the staff lit for us each evening, and a large,most luxurious bathroom. Everything was spotless and well presented.
We ate in the Hotel Restaurant on our 1st night. The Restaurant is small and intimate, my only criticism is that the tables were quite close together- whether this was because it was a busy weekend in the hotel, I don't know. The food was of an exceptional standard- but be warned, if you like plain, simple food the menu won't be for you. One of the things on the menu during our stay were sweetbreads...not for everyones pallet!
We explored the town of Spa during our stay and found it to be a most charming place, with many restaurants and places to see and surrounded by beautiful woodland.
We would highly recommend this hotel for a couple wishing to treat themselves!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed November 2, 2011

After staying here twice overnight and once for a spa & gastronomy treat, it's time to write a review. Being a very demanding person while travelling, i must say that this retreat is one of the best i have ever stayed. The last time, my husband surprised me for my birthday with a spa treatment and lunch at the terrace: all of this close to perfection. At lunch, we had a minor concern about the cuisson of our fish, which was handled very quick and correct. The chef himself came to apologize and he offered a glass of champagne....we were very pleased to meet this superb chef himself :-)
We will definately be back.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple