“Hot weather only hotel”

Sheraton Gran Canaria Salobre Golf Resort
Ranked #7 of 217 Hotels in Maspalomas
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 2 March 2012

Beautiful looking hotel that blends into the surroundings. we were initially given a room without a bath so had to move to another room (which was smaller and had a view of the road) on the second night. The balconies in the bedrooms don't get the sun in the afternoons and the breakfast room and bar are semi-outdoors so unless you have good weather it is chilly. The staff were helpful and friendly but the other clientele came across as quite arrogant (perhaps this had something to do with the hotel being fully booked due to a Porche event it was holding?). The gym was excellent but I didn't use the spa due to the extortionate prices. We played golf at the hotel and my husband practised on the driving range each day which was handy. The hotel is accessed from the main road that takes you all over the island so although you have to drive everywhere it is easy to get around. I probably wouldn't go back to this hotel as it was nice but I didn't love it.

Room Tip: Higher floors have better views.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Salobre2008, Director of Sales at Sheraton Gran Canaria Salobre Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2012

Dear Catharine,

First of all I would like to thank you for taking the time to write about your stay. We are happy to learn that overall you enjoyed your vacation, and enjoyed sightseeing in Gran Canaria.

This February has been abnormally cold in the island, so in the afternoon it might have been a bit cold. We hope it did not prevent you from having a good time.

Reviewed 2 March 2012

Sadly this is defenerly not a fice star hotel. The location is off wich is ok if you have a car but the real problem is the lack of sun after 14.00. The hotel is facing north.
The suite we stayed in really wasn't what you expect from a five star. The furnitures were dirty. The room was cold. There was no hot water presure. No, things you take for granted in a five star were missing.

• Stayed: January 2012

Dear sir,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our hotel. I would like to take the time to further talk about your stay. Please to not hesitate to contact me.

Reviewed 27 February 2012

We spent ten days in the second half of January 2012 in Sheraton Salobre and enjoyed it thoroughly. Before writing this review, we read again some of the reviews which we had already been reading prior to our departure. We could not resist smiling for some of the stories like getting lost when arriving in the dark, getting lost in the hotel itself. On the other hand we found it strange that people found themselves “isolated” or “too far away from the sea”, found the hotel “too much of a design type” and so on. Maybe they hadn’t read carefully the reviews or had not looked enough at a map to see the hotel’s location with regard to the sea, beach or nearby beach town.

After our arrival in the airport we drove with a rented car direction Arguinegin and passed the exit for the hotel. We left the next exit, turned around and found easily the hotel. Our problem was that our rented car with a full and paid petrol tank was actually empty! We lost half a day waiting for a tow truck, filling the tank and returning to the hotel, but we never lost our hope nor optimism. We were rewarded by a friendly welcome in the Sheraton, a nice room, a beautiful and quite spectacular location with a view to ocean, mountains and golf courses. We ourselves don’t play golf at all but it didn’t bother us at all to be among golfers. Although we live in a rather ‘farm style’ house at home, we were amazed about the style of the hotel, its spectacular architecture, the pools, the sunset area, the restaurant, the great breakfast.

It was our first visit ever to Gran Canaria and we already made tentative plans for next year.

If people prefer the atmosphere of a beach city with a lot of people around, lively music and eventually also too much noise, they should not come to the Sheraton Salobre, because it is an Eden of silence and relaxation. You will need a car to drive to e.g. Meloneras although a bus service is provided by the hotel. There are also taxis of course.
We read some critical remarks about the fact that wifi had to be paid or was too expensive. We agree that for a hotel with such name and standard it would have been fun to have a free wifi connection. On the other hand, we used one of the two free pc’s, whenever we needed it.

If you expect a bit less than what you should actually expect, you will normally not be disappointed.

Needless to conclude that we both liked our stay at the Sharaton Salobre very much.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Salobre2008, Director of Sales at Sheraton Gran Canaria Salobre Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 29 February 2012

Dear Jan,

Thank you for writing your review. What a start for your trip! We are really happy to know that it went uphill from there and you enjoyed your vacation, finding the relaxed atmosphere you were looking for.

Also, it is a pleasure to inform you that as per reviewers request, we are installing a light in front of the hotel sign, so that it will be very easy to locate at night.

We look forward for your second trip to Gran Canaria.

Sunny regards,

Reviewed 24 February 2012

I would have to concur with most of the previous reviews. This is a Sheraton so you get what you expect: they will charge you €2,000 for in-room calls (how 80's - but who uses these phones anymore anyway?), for internet, for parking, for a drink in the mini bar and say it's company policy. Whilst all that is rather insulting to people who aren't exactly paying hostel rates to begin with, it is what it is and if you can't live with it then book yourself into a non-chain hotel. You however also get near impeccable service from housekeeping and reception, a beautiful hotel with very comfortable rooms (and great views if you are on a high floor as we were) and the rather smug feeling that you are away from the package tour crowd in Maspalomas.

I did particularly like the architecture of the hotel and its swimming pools (where you will always find a lounger even when the hotel is full as it was when we were there). It all looks a bit 1950's Palm Springs and I mean that as a compliment. Very friendly staff too, at reception and in the restaurants. The hotel was fully booked up with a massive Porsche event going on (dealers getting to test the new 911 convertible, those lucky bums) yet we never felt as if we had to fight for their attention.

On the downside: I emailed the hotel after booking (via spg) to request an upgrade (a paid one, not trying to get it for free) and no-one bothered to respond. It turned out that they only have 30-something premium rooms out of the 300+ and that they were all booked but an email would have been nice (the standard room turned out to be absolutely lovely so no issues there). We only ate at the evening buffet once and it was fine enough but all a bit bland with nothing standing out. The waiting staff clear the tables by just sweeping everything on the ground which I though was a bit medieval. We ordered salads at the 11th floor pool bar (€13 a pop plus €5 for a soft drink) and they were ready-made, consisted of not much else than three slices of melon, three slices of pinapple and 3 shrimps and were served in a plastic container - major fail. Waiting staff by the pool would have been nice although perhaps they just have too many of them to staff them properly! And finally - and this goes for a lot of design hotels nowadays I suspect - I wonder how long it is all going to stay as pretty as it is now. The tabs in our bathroom were leaking and had already been patched up with silicone (how old is this hotel? 3 years?) and the wood cladding in the corridors does not look as if it will last another 5 years.

These little niggles however did not detract from the fact that this is a very good and well-run hotel which you should definitely consider when going to Gran Canaria. I spent a very good week there, would definitely go back, also for the island itself which if you avoid Maspalomas is stunningly beautiful.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Johanvdb

Dear Johanvdb,

First of all I would like to thank you for your review. It is a pleasure to hear from a SPG member!

We are very happy to learn that you had a great time with us, and enjoyed the size of our rooms, the design of the hotel, atmosphere, and our staff. We pride on a job well done and comments like yours fill us with pride.

Addressing your concern about the plastic cups at the Sunset pool, it is a regulation, for safety reasons, the hazard of broken glass, ect that we can only use those. I am sure you understand.

We look forward to your return; please do not hesitate to contact me for any matter,

Warm regards,

Reviewed 16 February 2012

Very nice hotel with perfect design fitting the surrounding. Large Rooms and Bathroom with nice view. A highlight in Gran Canaria which we did not like too much...salobre is a great place for a short break. for gold fans an ideal hotel. small supermarket on top of the hill, maspalomas not not far. the view resembles arizona a bit. chef knows his trade and waiter extremly nice

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank adina80
Salobre2008, Director of Sales at Sheraton Gran Canaria Salobre Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2012

Dear Adina,

Thank you for your review. We are very glad you enjoyed your stay with us, in particular the room, bathroom and hotel. We will pass on your comments to our staff.

We hope for your return to the island.

Reviewed 11 February 2012

I would like to recommend up to this beautiful place. I visited the Sheraton Salobre with my friend in the winter when we wanted to take a little heat. The sun and relax you can enjoy on the eleventh floor of the hotel, where is also heated swimming pool and large beds. You can enjoy absolutely spectacular views over the sea. Breakfast was excellent, in the morning was always a great selection of food and appreciate freshly squeezed juices. Very impressed me the willingness and friendliness of staff. Service was a high-level, reception helped us a lot, housekeeping always asked, if is everything ok, or if we need something. The room was very nice and clean and I liked the big terrace. Overall hotel is very nice architecturally designed we loved flora and all those huge cacti. Location is in the golf resort and does not mean that if you do not play golf, that you get bored. There is a possibility of walking or relaxing in the beautiful Aloe Spa. I recommend you obtain a car, it would be a a shame not to see the wonderful beach of Maspalomas, Meloneras, or places like Puerto Rico, Mogan etc. All these places are located 15-30 minutes away by car. Generally I experienced an beautiful stay in Sheraton Salobre, it was very enjoyable. We looking forward next visit. Thank you!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank hanulisko
Salobre2008, Director Comercial at Sheraton Gran Canaria Salobre Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 16 February 2012

Dear sir,

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience with us. We are very happy to learn that you enjoyed the hotel, liked your room, views, breakfast buffet and the attitude of our staff. We always look for ways to better our service.

We look forward to your return,

Warm regards,

Reviewed 10 February 2012

My husband booked this holiday as a thank you and surprise for me . Because it was such I didn't look into it before I left home instead preferring to leave it as a surprise. If only I had looked on trip advisor before going I could have read the earlier comments about finding the hotel in the dark . Unfortunately we too couldn't find the hotel in the dark and spent over half an hour turning into different villa areas searching for the hotel . We found the service entrance but couldn't find the main entrance . We eventually retraced our steps and went back to the main entrance of the resort and this time there was somebody who spoke English who could advise us it was by the flags.
By this time I was tired and extremely cross the the hotel couldn't provide adequate facilities to guide their guests to the hotel in the dark so when Cava was offered on check in I declined. Finding our room was a challenge and the rooms were very dark , poorly lit for reading but beautifully appointed.
We soon found our way around the hotel but it isn't the easiest of things to do and if you have an early golf tee time you are expected to walk along corridors in near total darkness .
Lighting seemed to be a major issue in this hotel or lack of it.... A trip to the ladies toilets by the 10th floor pool left me in total darkness in a cubicle as the lights were on a timer with no switch in the cubicle I was forced to get back into my costume and fumble my way to the entrance not having much idea of the layout of the place. It was very unsettling and could have resulted in an accident but I remained calm and felt my way around the walls until I found the light switch - a very unacceptable experience.

The internet charge was also an issue for us and in my mind had replaced the phone rip off charges prior to the internet and the charges were unacceptable and out of kilter with other hotel experiences. I have just returned from Celtic Manor hotel in Wales and internet was free!
Having said all that the staff were very good and friendly and this couldn't be faulted if they hadn't have been the experience would have been less pleasurable. This hotel needs to set aside it's 'designer' objectives which are all very pleasant and think more about what their guests want after the initial experience of a beautifully designed hotel. With a bit more thought to the practicalities of this hotel many of it's shortcomings could be overcome and turn a lovely holiday into a great one.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bantickr

Dear madam,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our hotel. We are happy that you enjoyed your vacation.

We are happy to inform you that are already working on the lighting at the entrance. It will be solved shortly.

About the internet charges, it is a Starwood Hotels & Resorts policy to charge for this service. For the moment, it is out of our control.

We look forward to your return. Please do not hesitate to contact me for any matter.

sandra.leibrock@sheraton.com

Also consider these accommodations in or near Maspalomas
8.4 km away
8.2 km away
Gold By Marina
Gold By Marina
#1 of 134 in Playa del Ingles

Been to Sheraton Gran Canaria Salobre Golf Resort? Share your experiences!