“Forgot just how much we love this place”

Radisson Blu Resort & Spa, Malta Golden Sands
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Mellieha
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

This was our second visit this year, we loved it the first time round, but loved it even more second time. We paid for the food package which was good value, and the food in Flavours Restaurant was excellent. Great deal of choice, well presented, amazing quality and cooked to perfection.
Staff are so friendly and professional, nothing is too much trouble for them.especially Louis and Catherine.
We can really chill out and relax here in beautiful accommodation with amazing views. Cant wait for our next trip

Room Tip: rooms at back of the hotel have a country view with no sun
  • Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
Josian V, PA to The General Manager at Radisson Blu Resort & Spa, Malta Golden Sands, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Thank you for your review.

We are delighted to hear that you have enjoyed your second visit to the resort and that you had the opportunity to visit our restaurant. It is wonderful to read that you found our staff to be so friendly and professional.

Whilst we will pass your comments to the staff mentioned we look forward to welcoming you on your next visit.

Josian Vella

Write a ReviewReviews (4,479)

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Radisson Blu

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We took the £99 deal knowing we had to spend a morning listening to a time-share presentation. It really wasn't a problem. They are trying out a new deal and mainly looking for feedback. We considered the offer carefully and had a very polite conversation with our representative (John) who actually agreed with us that in our circumstances, age and state of health the deal wasn't for us. Hardly a hard sell!

The hotel is very classy. We were upgraded to a side sea-view suite which was extremely comfortable and well equipped. There was no extra charge for safe, towels or WiFi. We bought vouchers for breakfast (seven mornings) and four evening meals. The food was very good - even the cooked breakfast which was as good as any we have eaten in UK hotels. The absolutely excellent Malta tour (thank you Ainsley) was complimentary. Normally it would have cost us 130 euro (and worth every cent), but was included in our £99 deal. How's that for value!

If you can walk easily to the local bus stop (a bit of a problem for us) then you can get to almost anywhere on the island. We went to Gozo by bus and ferry and had a very good day at a most reasonable cost. There are a lot more places you can visit by local transport, tours or Drifter buses. That having been said the hotel is in a remote location with nothing handy to those with limited mobility.

The only drawback wasn't the fault of the hotel or the tour company. There was a very piercing wind and the temperature was apparently as low as any experienced in Malta - but then it was December! Our visit to Mdina (looked fascinating) was spoiled by a most unpleasant wind howling through the narrow streets. Valetta was rainy, although the boat tour round the grand harbour is not to be missed.

I'm not sure I would pay the full price for a stay at the Radisson - Malta isn't really our scene and the hotel is a bit isolated. However the week we had was very nice, relaxing and excellent value on this deal. If you're put off by the time-share element - don't be!

Room Tip: Room Tip: Side sea view suites are comfortable but our balcony was north facing and didn't get a...
1  Thank 528ian

Thank you for taking the time to write in with such a detailed review.

We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the resort and that you had the opportunity to visit our restaurant and enjoy our cuisine. It is also great that you had the time to visit Gozo and to go on the Malta tour.

On behalf of the Radisson team we wish you all the very best.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I stayed at Radisson Blu as part of a deal along with a party that was being held in the building. Our room was upgraded to a suite as they ran out of smaller rooms, with no extra charge!
Breakfast was fantastic, but my friend noted that the coffee tasted strange.
We used the pool and found that the hot tub was sadly close room-temperature, just slightly warmer than the main indoor pool.
The room was beautiful and clean with a lovely view of the sea and the pools below us.
We asked to check out slightly later than the written time (noon) and they offered for us check out at 2pm! Constant smiles from the staff :) Also had a great dinner at Agliolio!

Thank you for your review.

We are glad to read that overall you had an enjoyable stay at the resort and that our staff were friendly.

We have taken note of your feedback about the coffee and the hot tub to ensure that they are looked into to improve wherever possible.

We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 5 weeks ago

My review is in two halves. The first part is about my experience of staying here as a hotel guest on holiday in Malta. The second part relates to the 3,5 hours presentation I agreed to attend as part of the special offer I was given to stay here.

The hotel

I'd rate this hotel as 4 star. It's 12 years old now and some of the bedroom decor is a bit old fashioned and could do with a refresh (I was told this is planned). It's location is great if you want to get away from the noise and activity of places like St Julians, its got its own beach and there is another a 20 minute walk away. People travel from other parts of Malts to use these beaches so for me its remote location and beaches is a plus point.

I didn't hire a car. I used the hotel shuttle service (ok prices) and the local buses (get timetables or check bus times to avoid hanging around). It's possible to get to the most interesting parts of the island with these two options. I visited some local restaurants a couple of miles away and these were stand out dining experiences and easy to get to.

The hotel staff I found to be particularly friendly and polite and helpful. The bedrooms and public spaces are spotless. The beds comfortable. I took a sea view room which gets the sun all day and great sunsets. Garden view rooms are not recommended.

The buffet breakfast was excellent. Lots of variety for the most demanding of tastebuds.

I didn't eat in the hotel restaurants- they did not inspire me. The high end eating restaurant was closed for the winter. I had occasional snacks in the cafe which were good (but a little pricey).

Overall I enjoyed my 1 week stay. The total cost for an upgraded sea view room on a bed and breakfast basis was about £550 for 2 people. I found this to be acceptable.

3.5 Hour Presentation

I was offered a deal to visit a 5 star resort for £79 per person for accommodation only for a week. The only condition was that I agreed to attend a presentation to hear about the time share offer at this resort. The agreement was that there was no obligation to purchase. I had no problem with this at all. My slot was booked on the penultimate day of my stay - I was intrigued to hear what they had to say.

I won't bore you with the details of the sales pitch. The salesperson was actually very pleasant. But after two hours, when I said buying a week accommodation in the same place for 28 years wasn't for me, things took a turn for the worse. A "manager" was called over to speak with me. This persons attitude was abrupt and eventually just plain rude. The sales pitch continued and after 3,5 hours they realised that no meant no. We were offered a sea view room for £16,000. When you add the annual service charge this worked out at about £1050 a week, room only. This was not in my view good value. As I said above, £550 for bed and breakfast in a sea room is fine - the time share "offer" definitely was not!

I was told that the value of the investment would increase over time and the implication was that I would make a profit. On speaking with another owner I met who is trying to sell, they are trying to sell at the price they paid for it 12 years ago, but without success.

The other big problem I had with the sales pitch is that they want you to make a decision there and then without having the chance to look at the contract documentation. Or having the chance to think it over. This is unacceptable. I certainly wouldn't make any type of investment in anything without thinking it over carefully first.

In summary, if you go as a guest of Azure and agree to attend a presentation, be prepared for a very hard sell. But if its not for you, politely say no and keep saying no until you are released from the sales room. Good luck!!

Room Tip: A sea view room is a must. Don't go for a garden view.
Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank gilescohen

Thank you for taking the time to write in wish such a detailed review.

We are glad to read that overall you enjoyed your stay at the resort and that you found our staff to be friendly and helpful. With regards to the presentation we are sorry to hear that in your opinion you felt pressured to purchase. We will share your feedback with the sales team for their attention.

We truly hope to have the opportunity to welcome you once again in the near future.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 5 weeks ago

Stayed in the hotel for a week with my wife.
Our experience is exceptional. We had a deluxe room with see view. Big, nice, bathroom, entrance lobby (to separate room from the corridor), kitchenette, dining table, bedroom with living area, big balcony, all was at our disposal. Looking at it, room was bigger than my 8 people office at work.
Breakfast was story for itself. Variety of foods and drinks, cooks making pancakes in front of you... Pools, semi-private beach, variety of restaurants, spa, even shop are part of the hotel.

Room Tip: See view definitively pays off.
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
Josian V, PA to The General Manager at Radisson Blu Resort & Spa, Malta Golden Sands, responded to this reviewResponded 5 weeks ago

Thank you for your kind review.

We are delighted that you have thoroughly enjoyed your stay and that you had the opportunity to enjoy our facilities.

We certainly look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 11 December 2017

Brilliant place to stay, just a pity the entertainment is virtually nil after dark and this hotel is pretty isolated with very little around it so come on Azure it costs a lot of money to stay so how about making a difference and show people that you care.

Room Tip: Sea view is best.
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank buckr0dgers

Thank you for your review.

We are glad to read that in your opinion the resort is brilliant.

With regards to the entertainment there is daily entertainment in the bar, however we do understand that it can get quiet for some in the low season.

Kind regards,
Josian Vella

Also consider these accommodations in or near Mellieha
13.6 km away
The Palace
#1 of 28 in Sliema
13.3 km away
Radisson Blu Resort, Malta St Julian's

Been to Radisson Blu Resort & Spa, Malta Golden Sands? Share your experiences!