“Friendly relaxing atmosphere”

Solana Hotel and Spa
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Mellieha
Reviewed 23 November 2011

I spent a week here in November. The staff were friendly and happy to help. The hotel was in an excellent location - close to restaurants, bus stops and really handy for getting to the ferry for Gozo (about 10 mins away by bus).

My room was on the front of the hotel - although other reviewers have mentioned the noise in the rooms from the street this really didn't bother me. The noise could carry from other rooms in the hotel but I was out most of the day and my neighbours were quiet. The room was cleaned daily and was very well equipped - including wine glasses and a bottle opener!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
Write a ReviewReviews (2,322)

Reviewed 20 November 2011

Friendly and professional staff who will go out of their way to make you feel welcome. excellent facilities and spacious, comfortable rooms.

• Stayed: November 2011
3  Thank shoulders579
Reviewed 17 November 2011

this was my first trip to Malta, and I was not disappointed stayed in Mellieha which I thought was a lovely place, great views wherever you walked.
the hotel was lovely and clean with very friendly staff, I stayed on a self catering basis, the room was lovely and spacious with the cooking facilities in a large concealed cupboard, very well done! blended in with all the other furniture in the room. I only ate once in the hotel and what I did have was very nice and plentiful, I mostly catered for myself or went out.
one reviewer said there was no wi-fi in the room, well there was in my room!
I didn't think much to the TV , just those three English speaking channels, which just repeat the same programmes day after day!

do ask for a room at the back though, I had a room which had a balcony but looked out onto other rooms, you had to look up to see the sky! which then of course made the room very dark, one day I had the chance to change but by that time it wasn't worth it, and after all you don't spend all your time on holiday in your room!

Room Tip: ask for a room at the back.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank Alice B
Reviewed 15 November 2011

Just got back from staying in Solana Mellieha,Great hotel with friendly helpful staff,room was very spacious and clean,our stay was bed and breakfast,and the food was good,Solana is in good position with bus stop right outside which was great,we bus hopped all over and the fares were cheap,Mellieha was very quiet but this is probably because it was November,but weather was great.No problems with hotel,the only thing that bugged us,and others was all the flies,everyone was swatting them ,in breakfast room and lobby,they need to do something about them wouldnt like to think whats its like in summer.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank carol817
Reviewed 13 November 2011

Comparing to the 4* Maritim just a few blocks away, Solana is certainly not a 4*. However, it has its pros and cons.

Pros: Excellent location in Mellieha, bus stop right outside. Very friendly and polite staff. Spacious room. Good evening entertainment. Clean room. English channels include Foxlife, BBC entertainment and Sky news. Although breakfast choices remained the same for the whole week, it has a reasonable range of food for breakfast and quality is good. Free WiFi in the lobby.

Cons: Not to mention the heat in the lobby, they constantly switched off the air-conditioning in our room, had to keep on calling the reception to have it turned on. The room is too hot as our balcony is right above the air-conditioning below. We can't even open the window. One day, they stopped the shower water for maintenance without advance warning. When I called the reception, they said it would be resumed very quickly. But when we checked out, it was still off. I was furious. Didn't have food in the restaurant because we saw lots of flies sticking on the cakes in the cafe. That puts us off totally. WiFi is not accessible in rooms.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Bluecookie
SolanaHotel, General Manager at Solana Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 16 November 2011

Dear Guest,

We are sorry to read that the Solana Hotel & Spa did not fully meet your expectations during your recent stay.

We constantly strive hard in offering our guests a quality holiday experience, however we realise that there may be occasions when we do not fully succeed. On such occasions we welcome constructive criticism, which we evaluate and act upon, when deemed necessary. Where the water issue is concerned, please rest assured that this was not something that was fore planned but a matter of a water system malfunction within a small section of the property.

Please do accept our sincerest apologies for the situation and we very much hope that you will not hesitate in allowing the Solana Hotel & Spa a second chance in re-winning your trust. Should you indeed decide to return to Malta, please do not hesitate to contact myself personally, where I shall do the necessary arrangements to ensure that you will have a positive experience throughout.

Best regards,

Elaine Cutajar Debono

Reviewed 11 November 2011

I just came back from Malta. Malta so beautiful but hotel nothing special. There is not anything for kids :( just one small room and one toy !!!!!! Food OMG !!! so bad !!!! If you planning to stay in that hotel go without kids and eat OUT !!!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
ManagementPergola, General Manager at Solana Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 13 November 2011

Dear Guest,

We regret to hear that you did not find all of the hotel's products up to your expectations. We are determined to do our utmost to ensure that our present and future guests, get the best out of their experience at the Solana Hotel & Spa, thus we would appreciate if you could contact me directly in order to discuss this matter in a more profound manner.

Yours Sincerely,

Elaine Cutajar Debono

Reviewed 11 November 2011

After staying at the Maritim Antonine hotel, we booked 2 nights at the Solana. The price was cheaper (for a half board), so we expected something simpler. The surprise was great: the room was very modern and the restaurant was as good as the other. On Fridays there are BBQ nights, dining at the roof terrace, with a man playing and singing. There were even "crepes" (although I´ve eaten much better ones, for sure, these were a kind of thick pancake but you could eat them anyway)- Those themed dinners are quite surprising, you can find a big range of food, very tasty.

If your room is located in the second building, no matter, the route you have to follow through the corridors is not so difficult (just the first times, maybe, or if you´ve drunk too much, as some of the guests). Those rooms are quiet.

There is a pool on the roof terrace, open from 8:00 till 20:00. If you want swimming pool towels, you have to pay an extra charge per day.

If you want to go to the beach or anywhere else, there is a bus stop not far from the hotel.

The worst was probably the indoor pool and jacuzzi, with too much chlore inside (itchy eyes afterwards). The gym was small but ok.

Would definitely go back.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mellieha
0.3 km away
12.4 km away
Hilton Malta
Hilton Malta
#3 of 33 in Saint Julian's

Been to Solana Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!