2,462 results
All reviewstosca restaurantrooftop poolthe busself cateringwelcome drinksister hotelhalf boardlovely hotelstudio roomsteep hillsmall balconybreakfast and dinnergreat holidayhotel is situatedenjoyable staybusy roadcleaned every day
Reviewed February 19, 2012

We arrived by bus to The Solana Hotel in Mellieha. We were surprised the outide of the hotel was just as it appears in the pictures we have seen on the internet. The lobby did not disappoint either, with a bar and coffee shop/patisserie in the foyer. At reception we were welcomed warmly and offered a welcome 'kinnie'. The reception was full of informative literature for journeys, trips etc.
The room was lovely! Air con, hairdryer, sky tv, balcony and a great little kitchen tucked away in the cupboard! It was spotless.
There was entertainment some evenings in the foyer bar, we didn't eat in the hotel but there seemed to be plenty of choice with 3 eateries on-site. My husband and I had a very relaxing stay. Would definitely stay again well worth the money!

Room Tip: They all have balcony or terrace. The back of the hotel is quieter as the front is on a busy road.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank nogzy
Reviewed February 18, 2012

My Partner and I were looking at affordable holidays for the half term break, no kids but my Partner is a teacher. We were given a whole list of hotels by the agent but opted for the Solana. We were half board and I decided to pay extra (a lot) to have this hotel over others due to the previous trip advisor reviews.

On arriving at the hotel, I found that there was no place immediately by the hotel to park the hire car. I was advised that I could only park outside the hotel for 60 minutes and would then have to move to a side street. Not too much of a boar but also not clear on the hotel details. The hotel needs to make it clear that it does NOT have parking.

We then checked in and began the trail to our room in the "new" part of the building. Down in the lift two levels, a long walk through a commercial looking white and cold corridor, then into another lift to go back up one floor. I have to say carrying to suitcases and two hand luggage bags, I was not impressed. There was only one member of staff on reception and no offer of help.

We then walked into the room to find what can only be described as a clinical looking cell. The walls were white, ceiling white, floor a very light cream and all of the furniture a very light ivory colour. I then realised that we had no window save for a tiny window about 1ft high by about 5 ft long running along ceiling level of the room. We subsequently found out that the the window was on ground level of the road behind us.

I then went into the bathroom to find another window over the bath which was frosted out. I opened the window and to my shock, there was a massive dark basement with a drop. I was immediately freaked out and shut the window.

I immediately went to reception and asked to be moved. We were staying seven nights and there was no way we wanted to stay in that room for seven nights. I was told that the hotel was fully booked and we would have to stay in the room. I was told that I had requested a room without a balcony. I said that was ridiculous, I had requested a room with a sea view which they appeared to acknowledge so I am not sure why they would put us in a basement room even if they thought we didn't want a balcony.

It wasn't until the forth day when we were told a room had become available in the main hotel. We were shown the room and then advised that we would have to pay £15 per night to upgrade. We decided that as we only had a couple of days left, we would just stay put.

What was extremely frustrating was that when I got back to the room and looked at the rack rates on in the information bundle, the difference in the nightly cost of the room offered was only £2.60 and the hotel were trying to pull a fast one by charging us £15.

Food was generally very poor quality. A very small mix of the same food every single night. Pork, Chicken, Beef and Hake every night. My Partner is vegetarian and had almost nothing to eat.

The staff are generally pretty unhelpful.

Unless you specifically want to stay in Mellieha I would steer clear of this place.

If you do stay, I would suggest making sure that you are in the main block before paying. I can assure you, you will not be happy in the basement.

Room Tip: Only book in to the main building.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
12  Thank cwaters100
SolanaHotel, General Manager at Solana Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing with us, your recent experience at the Solana Hotel & Spa and we very much regret that various aspects from your holiday experience have failed in meeting your expectations. Please rest assured that the Solana Hotel & Spa strives very hard to offer a quality holiday experience and we apologise if we have in any way hindered negatively your stay.

Where the room allocation is concerned, as explained during your stay, the booking has indeed reached us as one for a Non Balcony Unit and high levels of occupancy have made it difficult for the organisation to promptly offer the possibility of an upgrade to a different room type.

We do not consider it professional to publicly go into detail of each and every aspect mentioned in the review, however, as our esteemed client, you are very much encouraged to contact us directly to discuss this further, if this is deemed necessary.

While thanking you once again, we very much hope you will allow the Solana hotel & Spa a second opportunity in winning your trust during a future visit.

Best regards,

Elaine Cutajar Debono

Reviewed February 18, 2012

We have just returned from a week in Malta staying at the Solana Hotel and Spa.

The hotel staff were pleasant, friendly and most of all helpful. The indoor pool was clean and tidy the gym had enough equipment to have a work out and the overall complex was clean, tidy and fresh looking.

Our room, in the new part of the hotel was exceptional, cleaned daily with fresh towels and bed linen by friendly staff, we couldn't grumble one bit.

Room Tip: We were in the new part of the hotel and apart from the walkway being a little cold, it was by far the nicest part.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Julieg2901
Reviewed February 17, 2012

Just back from Melieha ( 6-10th Feb), stayed in the Solana. Hotel is very nice, large airy clean rooms and well deserves a 4 star rating.However there are some small niggles. The room was cold, mainly due to the weather but also due to the stupid locating of a wardrobe in front of the air con. Moved the wardrobe, stuck a card in the slot when going out, put air con to heat and the room was toasty on return! Also the indoor pool and particularily the jacuzzi werent heated sufficiently to make them usable.
Wasnt too much open around but can recommend 2 restaurants, Ta Peter opposite the Solana is decent and not expensive, ( try the local Gran Reserve wine, at 5 euro a bottle its an absolute steal). Just 20 yds up the hill from Solana, Giuseppis is a smashing restaurant, a bit on the pricey side but well worth it, Lots of unusual dishes on the menu typically at approx 20 euro,
Buses are great, very punctual and brand new. 2,60 for an all day ticket , stop outside the hotel

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank bradydermot
Reviewed February 16, 2012

We were transfered to this hotel from its sister establishment. While the facilities were not exactly the same we were compensated for this with complimentary breakfasts. The rooms were good and spacious, immaculately cleaned daily and all the staff very attentive and efficient. Parking was a problem and I guess in high season would be difficult. Situated in the middle of the town - on a steep hill - meant that eating out was easy if you needed a change. We enjoyed the hotel's food when we ate in, not least because it was good value compared with most other restaurants nearby. It was cold outside so the indoor pool was a boon although the roof-top one looked very inviting. We did not use the gym but the equipment looked up-to-date. There was a lively cafe area in reception where WiFi workeed very well.
Our one reservation was that the furnishings were a little tired but this did not in anyway spoil our stay.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends