Review Highlights
Lovely way to forget everything for a few hours.

Visited on 17/10/18, very enjoyable way to pass a few hours whilst in Cornwall. My OH and I are... read more

Reviewed 2 days ago
ThreeCrazyCats83
via mobile
Country delight

Visited during a quiet time of year and enjoyed a pleasant stroll in the larger estate. It was a... read more

Reviewed 2 days ago
andyjohnfarlow
East Sussex, United Kingdom

5,531 results
All reviews rope bridge jungle area eden project lost gardens of heligan formal gardens woodland walk the kitchen pineapple full bloom gardens are beautiful magical place different areas every corner farm shop well worth a visit hard work salad
Reviewed April 12, 2009

If you like gardens, then this is the one you have to visit and it's worth travelling for. The jungle garden is the most impressive, but in spring the rhododendrons in the upper garden are quite breathtaking.

Reviewed February 25, 2009

Visited Gardens in Feb 09 £8.50 entrance fee. Gardens nicely kept -just waking up from winter slumber. Apart from cafe and the shop rest of the place gave the impression of being closed- disappointing given the full entrance fee. High points The Giants head sculpture and the Bird hide were we stayed for the best part of an hour watching the wild birds.

Reviewed February 3, 2009

Heligan is such a great place to explore, the gardens are really interesting, the cafe's good and the Victorian walled garden with it's tightly regimented beds is something to behold! Well worth a visit with the kids...

1  Thank Matnkat
Reviewed September 24, 2008

The Gardens are actually closer to Mevagissey, but there is bus transportation to the Gardens from St. Austell. They have a large car park, as well as room for tour buses. The complex is large, even before getting on the grounds. There are facilities for eating, bathrooms [loos], gift area, garden purchases, then the ticket office. Most attractions, as here, have a reduced price for Senior Citizens. If there was a guide book, unfortunately, I forgot to pick one up. There are maps and signs in the Gardens. I got there later in the afternoon, so didn't try to see it all. Also, my hostess told me that the gardens in all of Cornwall were more in bloom earlier in the year.

I've included some of the pictures. Fortunately, the day turned out nice. I had been at St. Mawes earlier in the day where the weather was overcast. I'm glad I went to the Gardens. I first became enamored of going after seeing the website.

There are several things of particular interest. I didn't follow any particular path, so will not be covering them in any order. I enjoyed the bee boles and the descriptive signs. I've seen poultry on the farm, but liked that area; it was peaceful. Didn't have room on this review for my pictures of the Poultry Farm. There was a more formal garden area with a sundial. As well as floral and herb gardens.

Finally, I headed toward the jungle but don't think I actually reached it. First, I walked through the Woodlands which was very nice. It was on the edge of the Gardens. There are three structures laying on the ground made of mud. I only saw two, but there was a sign for the third. You could see through the trees to the hills beyond to the countryside. Near the end of the walk, you realize you're on the opposite side of where you ended up when at the Poultry Farm.

Would like to go back earlier in the year to see the blooms in color. Also would like to find the area where the birds and other animals are. I consider my visit an introduction, this time. I might have benefitted from an audio guide. But I enjoyed the walk and found it restful to just wander amid the beauty.

You can go in and out of the grounds on the same day. So if you start out early, stop for lunch, then want go back, you can. That's a nice touch on the part of the management.

1  Thank RedFoxSaginaw_MI
Reviewed September 9, 2008

As you will see from the photos i have uploaded it is a fantastic day out.
There is such a variety of plants, trees and flowers in each section.
The estate is split into several sections i.e. the woodland, jungle areas and then the more formal gardens, veg gardens, italian garden. Plus there is a wildlife project, so you may see many of the native birds!
But i must warn you that half of the gardens are reached via steep woodland paths so not for everyone. But it is such a large place that you can still spend a day here, Really lovely

2  Thank SallyofSomerset