“Never going back...” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Britt Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Britt
The Britt Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Britt B&B and Inns
“Never going back...”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2010

We have stayed at Little Britt Inn many times and kept returning for the great service, Jim and Teri were fantastic, the food was the best in the whole region and the Inn itself, beautifully decorated and comfortable. Jim and Teri always made our stays so nice - they went the extra mile. We recommended many friends and relatives to the Inn and they all partook in the great atmosphere. We often stopped by for dinner throughout the summer on our way home and although it was pricey - $80 for two - simple meal - it was worth it. The last two times we visited it was obvious Teri had left the business and Jim is on his own working a business he doesn't want. He is miserable and non-communicative. He did not acknowledge our prescence despite the fact he walked by us 5 times and sat right next to us chatting to his friends. He kept his back to us the entire time we were there. The food was sub-par - no Teri - and the bill was high. We attempted to say hello and he made it obvious he was not interested. We weren't alone in the restaurant and did not take it personally - he treated everyone with disdain. We feel badly for him - he clearly does not want to be saddled with this Inn. We will NEVER go back. We will try the fish place at the Marina next time.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank HMcGregor

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Barrie, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2010

Your website boasts about being one of the top places to eat in Canada. Based in that, along with a memory of having a great fish dinner in Britt about 6 years ago, we made a reservation. When I called, the woman on the other end impatiently asked “upstairs or downstairs?”. Not knowing what she meant, I answered, “we are looking for a fresh pickerel dinner referred to on your website”. She replied, “downstairs-we are too busy upstairs”. My gut instinct right then and there was telling me to hang up. This person clearly does not want my business. When we arrived at Little Britt Inn, we obediently went in the entrance for the downstairs to find the dark and dingy room completely empty. A waitress approached, and I recognized the impatient voice, matching the impatient body language as she said “sit anywhere”. Already my gut instinct was saying “this is not going to get any better- leave right now”. But we really were longing for a lovely fresh pickerel dinner.
Maybe a nice glass of wine will change my mind. Your website refers to a Wine List with a good selection of Reif Estate wines. We found a grungy looking photocopied menu, but no wine list. It was either red or white. We ordered white. It arrived – white and cold. That’s all the good things I can say about it.
When I went upstairs to use the washroom, I walked through the “upstairs” restaurant to find it less than what I would call busy, but at least there is a view of the water. The fish arrived. I have had a better frozen Captain Highliner dinner. The new potatoes were old, dry and full of black spots. We ate because we were hungry. We paid the bill and left a tip. I felt some sympathy for the waitress as perhaps she was doing the best she could under the circumstances.
When we left, we drove down the road toward Georgian Bay and noticed that St. Amant’s marina was offering a fresh pickerel dinner. The parking lot was full and we could see the smiling faces of the happy diners in a lovely room with huge windows overlooking the Bay. We will be sure to go there the next time we are in Britt.
So my conclusion is that you may well have been one of the top places to eat in Canada in 2005, but something happened along the way. I noticed that Teri’s name is crossed out on the billboard on the highway. Is that the missing link?

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Hanover, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2010

I went to this quaint Inn with the expectations of friendly hospitality and excellent food. The friend I was travelling with had been there recently and couldn't say enough about the owner Jimmy and the atmosphere. What can I say Jimmy could barely bid the time of day was not interested in talking. The food well perhaps i am particular since i am a red seal chef but have been to England and know enough about food to know u do not serve a potato pancake with fish, let alone breakfast homefries with a steak. Was going to stay the night and was told well you can go and take a peak if u like, so needless to say didnt. I usually do my travelling outside of Canada and just started to experience areas around home and certainly wouldn't recommend this place to any of my friends.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2009

The Little Britt Inn prides itself in being in a location where there is absolutely nothing to do. Well, if you enjoy looking out on the water and marveling at the Canadian Shield, then this is the place. We were a group of 5 canoeists stopping off at the Little Britt Inn after three nights in Killarney Provincial Park. We had three of the very comfortable four rooms. The rooms were all suites and very comfortable. The restaurant served up delicious food, we all had the catch of the day which exceeded expectations. Jim the Inn Keeper went out of his way for us, including serving us up a fantastic breakfast before we were on our way. Truly, I could have spent a week. We would have liked to have gone on an evening sail on Georgian Bay.

If you need a break from the City, come to Britt and watch the water flow by, you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2007

The Little Britt Inn is a slice of heaven itself. This four suite historical Inn sits infront of the Magnetawan River in Britt in the Byng Inlet area on the North East shores of Georgain Bay. Each room has a beautiful bedroom, sitting area, kitchennet and bathroom filled with quality antiques and delightful paintings and prints by local and historical artists alike. Three suits look out onto the river, and one extra large suite with a view of the famous Canadian Shield. The Inn it'self is run by the very outgoing, quick witted and friendly Jim Sorrenti as Inn Keeper, and the incredibly talented classicly French trained Chef, Teri McLean. The conversation is delightful and the menu was consistenly a foodie's dream. Each meal was reflective of the region and beautifuly presented. Teri pulled off the comforts of home through her cullunary creations. I will go back again and again. The whole town of Britt, with the historical sites of Byng Inlet's century old ruins of Canada's second larges sawmill production across the river is a real gem. Rent a boat at St. Amant's next door or from Wright's Marina, and see the landscape that inspired Canada's Group of Seven. It's no wonder the area is reffered to as the "hidden pearl of Georgain Bay". This Inn has both road access, and big boat access through Wright's Marina in Britt.

• Liked — the food
  • Disliked — that I had to go home
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled on business
      Check-in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Sparky333333333
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2006

We'd heard of it in Lonely Planet as a gourmet place to eat, but this exceeded our expectations.

Accommodations in 4 unique suites. All rooms have a view of Byng Inlet. CDN105-125 + tax for double bedroom, lounge, bathroom. Lovely furniture, beautifully decorated, everything done with taste. Marvellous location on the waterfront.

Restaurant listed in “ Where to Eat in Canada”, and deservedly so. A remarkable meal, and breakfast lives up to the standard.
Four km off Hwy 69, 70km north of Parry Sound.

Downside: it's up for sale. Meanwhile, check reviews in “ Where to Eat in Canada”.

• Stayed September 2006
      Check-in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Britt
8.7 km away
Residence Inn Gravenhurst Muskoka Wharf
2.9 km away
Lantern Bay Resort
Lantern Bay Resort
#7 of 8 in Gravenhurst

Been to The Britt Inn? Share your experiences!