Review Highlights

Reviewed August 1, 2021
lamby1991
Colchester, United Kingdom
via mobile
Challenging in the wet but worth it

Reviewed September 26, 2021
HBoulton20
Leeds, United Kingdom
via mobile

See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed May 20, 2022 via mobile

Tried to get here
We was 10 minute walk away and needed wellies to continue. we only had walking boots on which we were struggling
We turned round and went back. What a disappointment

Date of experience: May 2022
Reviewed April 28, 2022 via mobile

Stoer is a wonderful place. Amazing coastal walk to the Old Man, stunning views over the lighthouse, crystal clear water.

My very low rating is aimed towards the car park and Highland Council which decided to close the loos. Miles from any other public toilets, with no other place available to go to toilets. This is destined to be a disaster. I was very much disappointed and left shortly after I arrived. Can't go explore the coast with a full bladder. Not impressed.

Date of experience: April 2022
1  Thank Paulina M
Reviewed September 26, 2021 via mobile

Medium-difficult 2.5hour walk, probably largely due to previous rain making the path a lot boggier which made us skirt around and lose it quite regularly. If you can't tell the difference between a wet or dry patch of grass you're in trouble of losing a shoe or two. The man can't be seen from the lighthouse - ignore those reviews, and is actually really impressive up close (believe me - I tried to get my bf to turn back after we'd clocked him from a distance - see the difference in photos). Very windy near the cliff edge - we kept our pooch on a lead and he was fine, a few sheep around. A challenging walk in wet conditions but well worth it - especially so if sunny and dry

Date of experience: September 2021
1  Thank HBoulton20
Reviewed August 1, 2021 via mobile

We weren’t sure what to expect as there isn’t much information available but we were pleased we made the effort. If you are considering the walk it is between 1.5-2 hours depending on your walking speed. It is easier if you stick to the most walked path however if you have problems with heights you may want to take a slightly longer but less nervy route. The walk itself provides exceptional views of the west coast and once you reach your final destination you won’t be disappointed. Parking is plentiful and free at the lighthouse where you start the walk. There is a public toilet which is only slightly more pleasant for men to use than women.

Date of experience: August 2021
Reviewed July 10, 2021 via mobile

I went middle June 2021 - Road is not blocked, the boulders signify where you’re meant to stop and then get out and hike, the rest of the road isn’t proper road and deteriorates fast that’s why you can’t get down, but just follow the trail on foot, however the path does disappear part way, I used google maps (you can download offline maps for when you’ve no signal) and then follow that. Beware there are 3-4ft deep holes and marsh land where I lost my shoe and had to dig it out and I’ve hear people getting down past their knees so just beware and take your time, from memory it takes day 40-90 mins depending on pace. 100% worth it though as incredible views, I spoke to the owners at Caulkin Jammery, apparently there’s another route near there, I didn’t ask for more info as I’d finished but you may be able to find a better way

Date of experience: June 2021