“Total relaxation in beautiful and charming surroundings.”

Il Borgo di Vescine - Relais del Chianti
Ranked #5 of 15 Hotels in Radda in Chianti
Bergen, Norway
“Total relaxation in beautiful and charming surroundings.”
Reviewed 29 June 2011

Fantastic hotel, fantastic wine and fantatisc staff. We could not be more pleased.

We are a norwegian couple who travel a lot. The Borgo di Vescine gave us one of the best travel-experiences we've had.

The self-produced wine is very good. Buy a bottle of wine shop and bring it to the pool, the room or a bench in the garden and enjoy Toscana. The friendly wine manager Vincenzo or Judith gives you a great wine tasting.

The restaurant has a limited menu but the quality is good. The staff is friendly and helpful.

We will come back.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
duomo
Reviewed 17 June 2011

This is the third time we came back to this hotel.
The hotel is set in one of the nicest surroundings of Tuscany.
The breakfast is fabulous, all food freshly made and very good taste/quality.
In the Enoteca you can buy very exciting white and red wines and prosecco from the own vineyards.
We were very well received at the reception. Furthermore there is Mr Vincenzo Protti, who can tell everything about the wines from the vineyards which belong to the hotel.
The hotel has a nice swimmingpool.
We are looking forward to come back to this location.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 13 June 2011

We have now visited Il Borgo di Vescine two times, and now we are going for the third. This is a place that you have to go back to. When you come from a cold country like Norway this is the place for us. This small old limeston village is now is a resort for people who want to realy find relaxation and enjoying the life of Tuscany and Chianty. Owned by an Italian wine producing family, Il Borgo di Vescine do also have a fantastic wine tasting. Test some of their Chianti Classico wines. Than you would never leave. The wine tasting experience is fantastic. When Vincenzo Protti do his presentation, with his fantastic enthusiasm, you just feel that you are in the best place on this earth. Than you can go to the pool and enjoy life. You can watch the hills of Chianti, swim and enjoy a fantastic prosecco. Some of the evenings they do also have a fantastic barberque - enjoy it. We are going to Vescine again now in July. I think this is going to one of the improtant milestons every year. You run the risk to be Vescine addictet. It's just a fantastic place that you have to expereience and you will visit them again and again. I forgot to tell about Castelvecchi. It's a small winery with some of the best Tuscany wines I have ever tasted. It's not an industrial location. You feel the traditions and the love for wine when you are there. Just do it! It's a part of Vescine. Vescine is one of the best places to go, and for us it's one of the best places we ever been to. This is something we strongely recomand others to experience. Have a fantastic summer

Room Tip: All room are good
  • Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Greve in Chianti, Italy
Reviewed 2 June 2011

Don't miss this hidden gem in Chianti. Beautiful area, amazing pool ,but the best of all: the wine tasting with the actual maker Vincenzo Protti. I have naver met such a passionate, fun, charming and knowledgeable person in my life. The wines are excellent,especially the white ones.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Tokyo, Japan
Reviewed 1 May 2011

Just back from our honeymoon where we stayed 2 nights in Florence and 3 nights Il Borgo de Vescine in Radda, everyone was so welcoming, it was like a small unobtrusive family atmosphere and it was hard to leave.
Location is great, right between Florence and Siena so about an hour drive to each city and surrounded by smaller towns which are lovely to wander around.
We ate at the restaurant twice for dinner and the food was simple Tuscan fare; great homemade style and absolutely delicious. We also did the cooking class one afternoon with Karla the in-house chef and highly recommend it, it was a 4 course dinner and the best homemade pasta we ate all week!
Vincenzo the wine buff there is very friendly and knowledgeable about their great wine, always happy to chat and his free wine tasting for guests is good fun. Free wifi in the enoteca also.
We will go back!

Niskayuna, New York
Reviewed 24 April 2011

In the last 16 months we have traveled all over Italy and have in general had fantastic experiences and received excellent value for money and service ...till we stayed at Borgo Vescine over the past Easter weekend.
Ms. Susanna Biagini...the Managing director of the hotel is in my opinion the absolute bottom of the barrel when it comes to customer service..here is why:

We had 2 rooms booked (one a suite, and the other (room 29) a deluxe double.
We arrived on Saturday late evening and soon after placed our luggage in our rooms..which looked great (little did we know what horrors awaited us later that night)
We had a wine tasting session and then left for dinner at a restaurant outside the property.
We returned at 10 p.m. and went to our rooms. Our toddler sleeps with us, so our 8 year old was on the sofa bed (we had the suite).
Soon after I went to my Brother's room to find Mr Vincenzo (who b.t.w. is fantastic...and part of the reason we decided to stay at Vescine) gamely helping out with killing a number of bugs that seemed to be nesting behind the sofa bed (their toddler was asleep on the double bed at the time). Vincezo apologized profusely for something that was not his fault.
After this my brother his wife and I talked for a while...and yes in that time I killed a few more unidentifiable creepy crawlies...and I finally left for my room at around midnight.
At 1:00 a.m. my cell phone rings and it is my brother telling me that there is a scorpion in their room....of course I ran down to their room and sure enough there it was on the floor..it had been crawling on the wrought iron headboard, and they were lucky that they were awake and alert enough to spot it (remember the toddler in the bed). By this time the scorpion had been crushed with a whack from me with my brothers boot.
We then go to the reception, wake up the person on duty and after much time spent by him on the phone with Ms Susanna we got a room change for my brother. It is now 1.45 a.m. I return to my room to find my 8 year old wide awake on her bed (yes it was a pull out) so I ask her why she is awake...she says dad...the bed springs are digging into my back...I thought it was just her wanting to sleep with her mom and brother in the other bed...so I checked for my self and to my surprise the mattress was so thin and worn out that I could feel the springs with the lightest of pressure with my finger tips.
I sent her to the other room and slept on the sofa bed...yes it was the worst night ever...but i was so tired I passed out...but awoke on Easter Sunday with the worst backache ever.
When I went to return my keys after breakfast I told the manager on duty about the problem with the bed in our suite...his response...'this kind of bed is normal in Italy'...predictably I lost it and let him know that it was the worst we have had in Italy.

When we finally were to check out after lunch we asked to speak to the Reception Managers boss before we made our payments (I was hoping that given our experience of the night before there would be some attempt at an apology or a discount) and Ms Susanna makes and appearance and had the audacity to ask us what was the problem...."it was just a small animal...a small insect'...and we changed your room...did we not ? if you had a problem with the bed...why did you not let us know'' 'this kind of thing is normal as we are in the middle of a forest' Then why is it that the other 2 rooms we used were free of bugs ???...Have the decency to admit your mistake...and be clear that the pest control was not done adequately in that room . To say that she was arrogant and dismissive and down right rude....would be the kindest words I would ever chose to use about her.
Again I lost it ...but we wanted to leave and my brother was sick of looking at her face...and so we paid...and left
When I went back to the reception office to check on a line item on the bill.... it so happened that Ms Susanna's boss..one the the Paladin family members, Carlo, was there...we all go to the suite and he lies on the bed and says its not bad...so I say...remove the bed cover and the blanket..to which Ms Susanna cuts in and says 'the room has been prepared for another guest'...but I ensured that Carlo lay on the bed and he did admit that the bed was uncomfortable...even for a small child....small comfort and vindication for me after I have paid $320 for each room$ (which BTW is among the highest we have paid in Italy...and we have stayed in many great locations at far superior hotels). ...I wonder if I can take it up with Capital one...maybe I will try and see if I can complain with them as well...(as you can tell by now I am disgusted and frustrated like I have never been with this experience )

Open suggestion to Carlo Paladin : change your beds and make sure your director changes her attitude because it is pathetic.

Strong suggestion to any one reading this review : Think twice about the suites...and be very clear even at the discounted rate (yes..what we paid was the discounted rate) the cost of the accommodation is INORDINATELY EXCESSIVE for the value provided. The view may be fantastic...but the beds and of course the service VERY DISAPPOINTING and that is putting it very mildly..heaven forbid you stay here, and have an issue, and have to deal with Ms Susanna....arrogance and rudeness are what she believes is customer service.

Room Tip: Avoid ..unless you have money to waste
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
9 Thank vinmark
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 15 January 2011

Aaaah, Vescine! As I write this, 4 months after our visit, I can't help but wish I was back there now! Vescine is a lovely rural property with old world charm and modern amenities. We stayed in a superior room with patio (#4). Parking was very close by. Lots of character...stone exterior walls, vaulted beamed ceiling, clay roofs, etc. Our bathroom had shower only (no tub) but was large, modern and clean. (Our friends stayed in a smaller room which had tub & shower.) The setting is absolutely spectacular! We felt like we were "coming home" every day after exploring the nearby sights (wineries, gorgeous countryside, Florence, Siena and many other towns & villages). Guests were so comfortable & relaxed in the intimate dining room that many of us knew one another by name after a day or two and enjoyed sharing stories and tips about our adventures. Vescine's management and staff were professional, warm & friendly. We found the breakfast to offer a good selection of hot & cold items. There are two choices for dinner and great little restaurants nearby but a car if a must. Do not miss their wine tour if you get the chance! We hope to return for a longer stay. Vescine is ideally located in the heart of Chianti, Tuscany. We enjoyed our stay immensely.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kathy_hale
Also consider these accommodations in or near Radda in Chianti
3.3 km away
Palazzo Leopoldo Dimora Storica & Spa
Palazzo Leopoldo Dimora Storica ...
#1 of 15 in Radda in Chianti
2.1 km away
Hotel Villa Campomaggio Resort & Spa
Hotel Villa Campomaggio Resort &...
#2 of 15 in Radda in Chianti
2.8 km away
CDH Hotel Radda
CDH Hotel Radda
#4 of 15 in Radda in Chianti
8.1 km away
Castello di Spaltenna Exclusive Tuscan Resort & Spa
Castello di Spaltenna Exclusive ...
#1 of 8 in Gaiole in Chianti
15.3 km away
Hotel Villa La Palagina
Hotel Villa La Palagina
#3 of 6 in Figline e Incisa Valdarno

Been to Il Borgo di Vescine - Relais del Chianti? Share your experiences!