All reviews the pub breakfast was included modern bathroom full english quick check quiet location comfy bed good size following morning good nights sleep tea coffee room was large trent lock tiles nottingham twin
Reviewed April 4, 2018

Despite standing at the check-in desk for almost 10 full minutes, all the teenage waiting-on staff rushed by without even as much as a hello. The older barmaid at least looked / scrutinised us in acknowledgement but did not appear to be able to make time to tend to us due to being the only member of staff behind the busy bar on a Saturday afternoon. All the staff looked unimpressed and less than hospitable.

Although the room was clean and tidy and there was plenty of parking the snack food we ate from the kitchen on Saturday teatime set both our stomachs off for the following night, day and night. As soon as the food came (3 dishes for £8.95) you could smell the stale cooking oil. Neither of us slept and all day Sunday we could not shift the indigestion which was really uncomfortable and distracting. This meant on Sunday we just wanted to go home instead of exploring the quayside and local country park.

One other very annoying fact is that you get just one key per room. That meant when I was tired and needed to go to bed early due to being pregnant (as opposed to attend a local 40th round the corner which was our reason for visiting), my partner had to lock me in the room at 19.30 so that he could take the key with him and be able to enter the building after closing. Luckily the TV had several channels.

Room tip: Any, just don't eat there.
Date of stay: March 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
UnicornHotel_Manager, Manager at Unicorn Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 7, 2018

Hello,
Thank you for your review however I'm not sure if this is a legitimate review of our business as we do not have a country park within close proximity to us and we do not have a quayside either. We are on the banks of the River Trent if this is what you mean? If it is then I apologise that you did not enjoy your stay with us.
I would however like to point out that only being given one room key is pretty standard in most hotels. Had you of requested a second key upon check in or whilst you stayed with us then we would of been more than happy to let you have another or your partner could of just took the codes that you would of been given upon check in to let himself back into the building had the restaurant of been shut upon his return.
We also offer Freeview in our room's. Freeview has a minimum of 50 channels. Not the several you stated.
Our fryer's are also cleaned every other day. If you were unhappy with your meals then we would of more than happily of swapped them.
All staff are also trained to acknowledge all guests, they may not be able to check you in but they will always let you know that someone will be with you.

Please call us direct on 0115 9663612 if you would like to discuss your review in more detail. I would also like your booking reference.

Regards

Reviewed March 25, 2018 via mobile

We go to this place every Sunday and on the whole we have a good experience except the following, which is everytime we visit.
Poor
Service, five staff stood laughing and joking at the bar just ignoring me, after 10 minutes waiting, I had to ask for service and even then, they kept me waiting while they messed around and it’s not the first time this has happened.
The other really disappointing thing is the toilets, they are a disgrace, there is never any toilet paper, they smell awful and the sanitary bins are full to brimming over.
They really need to get things sorted out.

Date of stay: March 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank jollywalkers

Hi,

Thanks for the review. I am concerned that this is a recurrent issue for you. I have mentioned your comments to the team though to make sure they are providing an excellent customer journey for our guests so hopefully you will see an improvement. The toilets in the bar area can sometimes be an issue due to the amount of walkers we have using the toilets in the morning/ early afternoon. We have toilets located at the other end of the bar if you would prefer to use these in future. Sanitary bins are emptied on a weekly basis by an external company.

Next time you are in please make us aware of any issue's and I will rectify these for you. Alternatively please call us on 0115 9663612 if you wish to discuss your review in more detail.

Regards

Reviewed January 14, 2018 via mobile

Had stay here about 25 years ago and it was then a nice hotel with good food and beer. Time has not been good to this place. The rooms are dated and not up to 2star standard but the most disappointing thing was the standard of the food. Breaded mushrooms were way over cooked and steak and chips was tough, over cooked and dry. Restaurant should be closed until better food can be served. AVIOD this place .

Date of stay: January 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
UnicornHotel_Manager, General Manager at Unicorn Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2018

Thanks for taking the time to provide us with a review. I can only apologise that you were not happy with your visit to us. Our room's are having a refresh in the next few weeks so hopefully if you do decide to stay with us again you will be pleasantly surprised with the rooms. With regards to your meals, had you of mentioned anything at the time we would of more than happily of swapped your meals for you.

Reviewed December 21, 2017

My Wife and I recently returned to this Hotel for a birthday celebration meal. I thought that the service was good but the standard of food is quite ordinary, and uninspiring, basic pub food. I won't be returning if I can help it as there are better eateries closer to home.

Date of stay: December 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends

Thank you for your review. We have recently changed our menu so if you do decide to visit us again in the future hopefully you will find something more appealing.

Reviewed December 14, 2017

This is a peaceful and Romantic place to come, which is why I took my fiance to enjoy a walk along the scenic Trent River and enjoy a hearty meal at this vibrant place which changes the menu to suit the season offering different delights each visit. This is recommended at all times of year especially when there are River activities on.

Date of stay: December 2017

Thank you for the great review. We hope to welcome you back again soon.