All reviews anne marie privilege room mercure hull steam room leisure facilities grange park pool and gym enjoyed my stay evening meal buffet style would stay again stayed here for two nights function room family room one night stay comfy bed good nights sleep
Reviewed September 11, 2018

Hotel is a bit out of town but in a very quiet location. Reception staff very helpful. I didn't try the pool or fitness facilities but a colleague said they were adequate.
Room was average sized but bath/shower could do with a makeover. It would have been very peaceful if it wasn't for a kind guest 4 doors away waking everyone up before 7am with the television sound turned up to what sounded like full volume. Not the hotels fault. Apart from this I had a pleasant stay.
Evening meal was nice but breakfast was a big disappointment though. Eggs were a bit underdone and sausages bet very overdone, burnt more like.

• Stayed: September 2018, travelled solo
Jeffrey_Cave, Front Office Manager at Mercure Hull Grange Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2018

Dear Super_Ted_Top_Gun,

Thank you for the lovely review.

I am sorry to hear that breakfast was not good enough, it is the most important meal of the day and we normal smash it out of the park. I will pass on your comments to the Head Chef so he can address the issue.

Reviewed September 10, 2018

This hotel is supposed to be 4 star I would be hard pressed to give it 1 star. This is mainly because of the disgusting bathroom in room 117. The toilet was very difficult to flush and the tiles around the handle were broken. The tiling around the bath had discoloured grout and was missing in places, along with many filled drill holes. The toilet bowl and washbasin were pink whereas the toilet seat and bath were white. The extractor fan was choked with dust and detritus.

The room was average but nothing like the photos on the web page, we felt conned.

We arrived after a long trip from Shropshire and wanted a cup of coffee but the kettle (plastic) was broken and leaked all over the table and our things. It took over 2 hours to provide a replacement.

I have travelled extensively in the UK and Europe and expect a much higher standard than this from a supposedly 4 star hotel costing virtually £100 a night for bed and breakfast. What a rip off. You can see from my other reviews that I am not just a moaner but praise good hotels, but unfortunately and generally rarely criticize bad hotels. This was not bad but appalling.

I will be writing to the Accor Hotel group as this hotel need a major refurbishment.

PS I have photos but they were taken on my new mobile phone and I am having problems downloading.

Room Tip: Just do not go to room 117 and ask for one which they show on the web page
  • Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple

Dear Terry R,

Thank you for your helpful comments. They have been passed on to the relevant people concerned.

It would of been helpful to be able to speak to you during your stay regarding these issues, we can not fix or make right issues we do not know about.

Reviewed September 8, 2018 via mobile

Great value for money. Generous portions (we even took some away with us). Good service, maybe little slow but we were in no hurry. We sat in the big window and watched the world go by. We will be back.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple

Dear Aijia K,

Thanks for an amazing review. It is good to hear you enjoyed our Afternoon tea.

See you soon.

Reviewed September 5, 2018 via mobile

I recently stayed at the Hull Mercure. To be honest it needs a refit so first impressions were not good.

Having worked a very long day I decided to take advantage of the “pay £18 get £22 to spend” in the restaurant. This requires a swipe of my card which I handed over to the receptionist behind the desk.

When he handed me the receipt I noticed a pre authorisation for £30 not £18. When I questioned it I was told “well sometimes petiole go over so we pre authorise £30”. I stated this was very poor and guests should be made fully aware before the card is swiped.

The receptionist was quite dismissive and basically tried to defend the fact that what he had done was deceptive. I highlighted to him that there had been a recent well published social media outcry against supermarket forecourts who were pre authorising pay at pump customers for £99 to get fuel.

What is not made clear is that these funds are effectively captured for a period of days to cover a maximum spend, but as I highlighted not everyone can or will spend up to the maximum.

As it happened I had sufficient funds to cover it and being so tired I accepted what had happened and went to the restaurant.

Unfortunately I was basically ignored by at least three staff members while I waited to try and get a table. Not even and brief moment of eye contact. Eventually a male member of staff said to a female colleague, “can you serve this guy please?”, which she did not do.

I walked away exhausted and went back to the receptionist to have to card swipe cancelled, which was a very long and publicly awkward procedure where my long card number and expiry date were read out loud.

Utterly shambolic.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled on business
2  Thank Adrian P

Dear Adrian P,

I am sorry that you had these issues during your stay. We do take a pre authorisation of £30 per night stayed as standard but we should explain this to you.

The Food and Beverage Manager has been informed about the situation regarding you trying to be served and he will be reviewing service standards.

Once again, my apologies as this was not a great showing by the Hotel, I hope we can have a chance to show you the right way.

Reviewed September 2, 2018 via mobile

My sister and I visited the hotel on Wednesday 29th August. We had purchased a groupon voucher for use of the spa and afternoon tea. The spa visit was fine- facilities require some updating. However the afternoon tea was very disappointing. We were seated in the restaurant by a waiter, he took our drinks order and promptly returned with my pot of tea, a pot of coffee and the afternoon tea. Before pouring our drinks we noticed the cups were quite dirty, we cleaned them using a napkin before pouring our drinks. When I got to my last cup of tea in the pot I noticed there seemed to be ‘bits’ in it as I drank. I opened the teapot and was horrified by the foreign objects in the bottom of the pot! I found the waiter who offered to get me a fresh pot to which I refused. He took the tea pot into the kitchen and left the restaurant. I then went to the reception to find out what it was in the teapot and to make a complaint. The hotel manager was called to deal with the matter. He eventually went to investigate the teapot and when he returned informed me he was of the opinion that it was ‘cake’ in the pot but was at a loss to explain how it had gotten there. He offered for us to return for complimentary afternoon tea to which I refused. I am utterly disgusted by the lack of cleanliness at the hotel and will not be returning in the future!

Stayed: August 2018, travelled with friends
3  Thank loz_c86
Sandeep K, General Manager at Mercure Hull Grange Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2018

Dear loz_c86

Thank you for your review. Please accept our sincere apology for the quality of your experience.

In August, we served over 400 afternoon teas and the feedback was generally excellent. We can understand your disappointment.

Maurizio, our Deputy Manager, personally spoke to you to apologies. We indeed found it hard to understand the origin of the foreign object. He offered you a full refund and additionally an offer to return for another afternoon tea with our compliments. However, you did not want to take up on the offer.

We believe that Maurizio did what he could to win your trust back, however we appreciate and respect your wish to not return to the venue.

best wishes