All reviewsfamily runrecommend this hotelcar parkstopoverbalconytownsliftbuslockersskisfunicampenglishdinnerandorra
Reviewed March 18, 2018

Really enjoyed my stay in this hotel, a short walk from either the funicamp gondola or the ski bus stop (if you dont fancy the uphill walk). There's a couple of supermarkets nearby which is useful.
The hotel was perfect - nice staff, quiet and a decent breakfast every morning. Room seemed clean and theres storage space for skis.
They were flexible about me arriving late which I really appreciated as my bus didnt arrive until midnight.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled solo
Anna C, Gerente at Hotel Univers, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2018

Dear customer

We are happy about your words, we hope you can come back very soon

Reviewed October 16, 2017 via mobile

Stayed at Hotel univers 2 nights. Room was basic and very clean. Pillows were hard. No wifi in room. Had to use phones in salon. Breakfast was good with croissants and lots of sweet choices of pastry. Good ham and cheese. Lots of cafe con leche. So glad we stayed Encamp verses other towns in Andorra.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple

Dear customer

thanks for your opinion, it is very useful for us. We hope next time we can have 5 points from you!

Reviewed September 26, 2017

Facilities are standard for a 3* hotel. Breakfast was adequate and rooms though dark were satisfactory. The car park is 100 metres away and is a plus. The staff member on duty was unfriendly to several customers. He displayed displeasure when asked for breakfast items, banged glasses on to a table and and stood with his arms folded when waiting for the breakfast room to clear. When asked to print boarding passes he refused. Needs a serious customer service course.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed July 13, 2017

I found this hotel while searching for a unique cycling destination, since their website advertised amenities for riders. It does make for a great location from which you can stage such a vacation, but what we ended up with was so much more.

My wife and I, plus eight other cyclists from Nashville, converged here in July, book-ending our separate vacations with trips to France, Spain, and Germany. Carol and I stayed the longest — eight days — the plan being to spend a couple of days on the Spanish coast afterwards.

Encamp was an excellent spot for this, with immediate access to epic climbing followed by spectacular views … which brings me to a cautionary note: If you want flat cycling, don't go to Andorra. Coming from middle Tennessee, we were used to steep hills, but in Andorra many routes have steep hills that go on and on and on. Very strong riders will eat up the quiet options in and out of Encamp, but most cyclists will be forced to ride busier roads (albeit with mostly European drivers, who are usually more tolerant and well-behaved around cyclists than their American counterparts) or drive their bikes to less arduous routes.

Hotel Univers sits near the end of a quiet road close to the center of town. It was an easy walk for us to excellent restaurants, quiet cafes, and markets. For those interested in duty-free shopping forays for European goodies (which my wife and I were not), Andorra la Vella is a 15-minute drive. Encamp also has spectacular hiking in summer, as do most of the ski resorts in Andorra.

Our room was very comfortable and clean. The king-size bed was just right, the bathtub was great for post-ride soaks, and our balcony was perfect for sitting and watching the river (and drying washed cycling kit). We never got to eat dinner at the hotel, but breakfasts were very good with excellent coffee, pastries, fruit, yogurt, and more.

Of particular interest to us as cyclists was the garage. Jaume, who runs the hotel with his wife Ana, is a cyclist himself, and has set up the back of this with racks, stands, and tools for maintenance. The garage is locked (although Andorra is probably one of the safest places in Europe), and it was wonderful to be able to just roll our bikes in and out of there rather than wrestle them up an elevator to our room.

It was on the seventh day of our vacation, however, that the hotel went from good to spectacular. The last of our friends from home had departed on the day before, and I had driven my bike down to Sant Julia de Loria to ride solo two of the infamous climbs there — La Gallina and La Rubierra. Coming down the first of these, I crashed and shattered my femur.

Lying in the road, I called my wife to alert her, and then called for an ambulance. My wife was at the market, and rushed to the hotel. Ana and Juame could tell that she was frantic and immediately took control. Juame drove Carol to the hospital, helping her through the typical maze of hospitals and bureaucracy so that she was there in Emergency as they unloaded me. Another kind Andorran, Luis, who had come by in his car up on the mountain, brought my bike to the hospital, and Jaume took charge of that and returned it to the hotel garage so that Carol could stay with me while I had surgery.

During the next days, Ana and Jaume helped Carol as we worked through the labyrinth of a foreign healthcare system. They even visited me at the hospital, bringing chocolates and cheer, two days after Carol had checked out to move to a hotel nearer the hospital. This wasn't what we in the U.S. would call “service recovery,” but was genuine care from a gracious couple.

I hope that no other visitor ever needs the level of service that I received from Hotel Univers, but want anyone else staying there to know about the people you'll find there. It is a lovely charming old-world hotel, run by some of the kindest people that I have ever met.

Room Tip: Get a balcony with a view of the river. Andorra is gorgeous, and being able to just look out the window and enjoy it is a treat.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank Robert H
Anna C, Propietario at Hotel Univers, responded to this reviewResponded August 17, 2017

Dear Robert

Thank you very much for your words, and we hope you are recovering well of your injuries. In fact, we did what any person would done, I hope. In this cases we have to help people next to us, even if you are our clients or not.

We hope your recovery is complete and quick and we wait to see you again with us next year!

Reviewed July 8, 2017

Our group had a great stay at Hotel Univers. The rooms, although not large, had everything we needed to make our stay comfortable and balconies for nice breezes in the mornings and evenings. Parking was convenient and we had a great garage to store and work on our bicycles. The owners were very accommodating.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with friends
2  Thank connie w
Anna C, Propietario at Hotel Univers, responded to this reviewResponded July 14, 2017

Dear clients,

Thank you very much for your visit and your words, we hope see you again very soon.