“Loved it! Perfect setting for my wedding!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun
Ranked #3 of 26 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
GreenLeadersGold level
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
“Loved it! Perfect setting for my wedding!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2012

I vacationed at this resort in November 2011 for my wedding and honeymoon. Driving to the resort had me a little uneasy because it had just rained and the back roads to the resort were hit and miss with flooding but once you enter the resort, you enter paradise! Greeted by fabulous staff who helped us to get checked in with champagne and warm towels, I never had to lift a finger there. We met lots of nice people there and the staff in every area was excellent. My wedding coordinator at the resort made sure everything was to perfection, my only suggestion is that she was spread too thin, they need to hire her an assistant or two because there was almost a wedding everyday but she managed us all professionally. I would definitely recommend this resort and would stay here again but I since I was able to tour the Secrets Maroma resort during our stay, we'll be staying there for our 1st year anniversary, sure hope they have the same great service!

Room Tip: With the preferred club you get more attention to detail and other perks not offered to everyone at...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Shayhawk415

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,948)
New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2012

My husband and I stayed at this resort from Feb 23 thru March1. The last time we visited an all-inclusive resort was 14 years ago with our kids. We are empty nesters now and we got a very good deal on this resort, so we decided to try it. We were not disappointed. The check-in was smooth, took about 20-25 minutes. We got the internet package, it was half-price with a coupon that they give to all the guests at check-in, only $30 for a week. I think it was very reasonable. What I do not get is this: since they always give 50% off, why don't they just reduce the price?
We got a 2nd floor ocean-view room in building 4, the room was spacious, the bed was very comfortable, I even liked the pillows (some people complained). They changed sheets and pillow cases daily. We did not have any problems with water temperature or pressure. The only minor complain about the room is that it was kind of dark at night, not enough lighting, but I got used to it. The room was very quiet, we did not hear our neighbors at all. The rooms are non-smoking, but on the 2nd day we came back to a very strong cigarette smell, we had to open all doors to air it out, on the same night we woke up at 4AM because of the smell and we had to air it out again. I was about to ask to get moved to another room, but it stopped, I guess the smokers moved out that night :).
The service everywhere at SSS was great, the staff was very friendly. I cannot remember one person who did not greet us with the smile. Food at this hotel was excellent, we visited all the restaurants except for Mexican. One night (I think Friday) there was big Mexican buffet, very good. Room service was prompt and tasty.
We enjoyed the shows at night, I think they were very good for an AI resort. We also enjoyed a couple’s massage, we got 40% discount offer and used the opportunity, it was very nice and relaxing. I did not care that much for the rest of the spa area, I guess I expected something more from TA spa winner. We cruise a lot and I think spas on the ships are fancier.
The resort is relatively small, so it is easy to get everywhere, there is not much vegetation, and I usually like it when it is more tropical. The beach is fine, it is not the prettiest beach, but it was ok, and they clean it the whole day, so there is no seaweed on the beach. The only downside was the ocean. I'm not a pool person, and on vacations I look forward to swimming in the blue ocean. I'm very happy I knew the ocean situation beforehand, so I was saved from the biggest disappointment, I bought the water shoes and was able to swim and snorkel there, but it was not as pleasant as it usually is in the Caribbean. Sure, you can walk 15-20 minutes to the left and the ocean is much better there, but it is not the same. Snorkeling was so-so and I went far, to the so called coral garden.
The ocean is probably the reason I most likely would not go back to this hotel, but I would recommend it to others, I think it is a great resort.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank SK99NewJersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2012

We returned for a second visit to Secrets Silversands and were not disappointed by the great and friendly service, good food, lovely pools and outstanding spa. Our only complaint was that it was cloudy and rainy for 2 out of 5 days. We had upgraded to an ocean front view room and spent some time watching the waves and the wind blowing the palm trees. We also spent more time at the bars where we chatted with other refugees from the cold Midwest. All in all a good vacation.

• Stayed March 2012
2 Thank JennyPert
Beverly, MA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2012

This was our second visit. We had been looking forward to returning for the previous 12 months so it was a little disappointing to learn that our reservation was somehow “lost” or “misplaced” upon arrival. It was taken care of quickly by Adrien and we really appreciated his efforts. We ended up with a swim out room and felt settled back in quickly.

The resort was as great as we remembered. The food and service is still outstanding. It does appear as they are really paying attention to reviews. We noticed several updates/changes – for instance I had read people complain about the birds in the open-air restaurants. I noticed that they have netting installed now that stop the birds but don’t hinder the views or ocean breeze for the diners, a nice touch.

I read hillystyles review and laughed as I recognized her from her photograph. We were there at the same time. It amuses me that people think that there should be a float for everyone. Think about it for a minute, if there are floats for everyone where is there space in the pool to do any actual floating if even a tiny percentage of those people decide to converge on the pools at once? The morning the entertainment crew asked her nicely (and aked several other elderly immature people) to return the float to the pool, she was hiding it on her sunlounge and had it covered with a towel. Their point was simply that the floats were for everyone to use. Pretty childish behaviour. Almost Spring Break like!

Anyway, the beach also appears to be quite expanded although they can’t do anything about the water and coral and its unrealistic to think that they can. They held a nightime bonfire and concert down there on one of the nights we were there and that was a lot of fun. They should utilize the beach area for nightly entertainment more frequently.

We met some great people and loved hanging out by the pool with Mark & Shelly, Chris & Paul, Cathy and “Pedro”. Everyone seemed to really enjoy the resort and the service. If you are looking for great food, service and Mexican hospitality only 15 minutes from the airport I can’t imagine any better resort. We will definitely be back again.

5 Thank deeob
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2012

Just got back on March 1st. First time there. Would go again. Not the greatest beach for swimming or long walks (weeds washing up due to storm last fall) but if you just want a beach chair in the sand, it is great for that. Accommodations were great. Food was too. Really enjoyed the hibachi table in the Japanese restaurant. Make reservations early in the morning for the day you want to eat there. Customer service was great. I misplaced a camera and sunglasses - and they had it in lost and found. I lost my iPhone the first day (somewhere between the plane and the hotel). They went out their way to contact the airport, the airlines and the vacation service I used to see if anyone had reported a phone (confirmed by emails I received from all of those investigating). Also filled out a security report for the hotel. Very professional Never found but I don't think it ever made it to the hotel with me. Enjoyed the staff and activities by the entertainment crew - especially Mariana, Jackie and Cruz. Water aerobics is a workout!

Room Tip: We were in the building in the 5,000 numbers behind the spa with a pool view - 2nd floor, 5205. Ther...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
Woodlawn, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2012

Our first visit to Silversands was Feb 2010 and we returned again Feb 2012. The staff and accomodations are excellent. The restaurants are high quality and never overly crowded where you have to wait for seating. If you're one for playing in the surf, this resort isn't for you as the beach is rocky. However, the tanning area is roomy. The beach is perfect for walking, as it's flat and scenic. If you are looking for a resort to totally rest and relax, be pampered and enjoy your dining, this is it! One of our favorite evenings this year was the bonfire & band on the beach. WOW - lifetime memory! Highly recommend staying here - you won't be disappointed!

1 Thank Stacie Z
Walpole, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2012

My husband and I spent a week at Secrets Silversands and we loved it! The resort is very nice, our room was beautiful and the staff was excellent! We had a wonderful experience from start to finish. I wanted to arrange a romantic dinner on the beach for my husbands Birthday. Zuko Garcia part of the concierge team was very helpful in the planning of this for me. Our wait staff on the beach for this special dinner was Antonio and Delmar...they were so nice and friendly! We also had a favorite bar staff Ester...she was wonderful. The staff at the front desk, restaurants , bars, and throughout the resort were friendly and professional. We had a wonderful stay and would go back again as well as recommend Secrets.

Room Tip: We had a swim out suite to the pool and I wasn't sure if I would like being on ground level but...
Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Morelos
#1 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
5.0 of 5 bubbles 5,518 reviews
2.7 km away
Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa

Been to Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!