“Ocean Coral: Must improve the overall image”

Ocean Coral & Turquesa
Ranked #13 of 25 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 7 March 2012

First of all, the resort is well kept, i is beautiful with a private beach and several swimming pools. The staff is great and most of them speaks little bit English (except in the Buffet Restaurant). Having said that, let me take you to the administrative side of this resort, where there is room for great improvement, and may need a new management team to enforce it.

Booked three months in advance with request fro a room close to the lobby on the main floor, and reminded of the request again a week before our arrival at the hotel - but we were given a room on the 3rd floor, farthest from the lobby, with no one to direct us, we climbed the steps, circled around various buildings and finally reached the room half hour later exhausted. No welcome drinks either. It took constant efforts to get a room close by, 24 hours after our arrival.
This wasn't a good start. To top it off, our room key cards were disabled twice, and had to walk all the way to the lobby to reprogram the card, again causing much inconvenience.

But the resort seems to be looking to cause more hardships to its guests. One afternoon, towards the end of February, the hotel management decided to shut off the power and the water supply for over 2 hours. We were not notified about this in advance.No lights and air conditioning in the room is one thing, but no flushing toilets? Many guests, especially women and children were greatly affected by this water shut down. This was the most stupid thing I ever heard from a resort catering to several hundred guests, to "celebrate the earth day". The whole pool area was virtually stinking and the public toilets were a mess to say the least.

A resort of this size should have trolleys to transport guests and their luggage. There are no working elevators according to the staff, and there seems to be no one there to fix the dead elevators. If the elevator is working and to go to room #5308, for example, walk to the end of a long bridge and locate the elevator in a corner, press the button p3 and get off at the 2nd floor and circle around the building until you reach your room. It is very confusing, and not recommended for people over 40 or young couple with children.

The resort also encourages 'class system', privilege class that is, for an additional fee. They get first seating in Restaurants and perhaps some champagne with dinner. Others must be satisfied with tail end seating and watered down local drinks. Don't ask for premium brands unless you are in a privilege class. You won't see see this in other resorts, especially in Dominican Republic or Jamaica where everyone is treated equal.

When you check in, you will get a piece of printed paper inviting you to go to the front desk to accept a gift package. You will save a lot of time and disappointment if you discard this paper immediately. Those who take this to claim the free gift would be in a great surprise, as they are walking into a time share trap, causing thousands$$ in return for nothing.

Room Tip: Ask for a room close to the Lobby if you don't want to walk 30 minutes to the restaurants.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank tropicalrider
Jose Alejandro G, Manager at Ocean Coral & Turquesa, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2012

Thank you for taking your time to share your comments regarding your last visit at our resort. Is good to know that you appreciated the beauty of our facilities, however it has been with a great regret to learn that your stay was not satisfactory.
Rooms are assigned upon availability, nevertheless we do our best in order to fulfill our guests’ request.
Regarding your comment about the elevators we will like to enlighten that we are continuously enhancing our facilities, we regret the fact that our improvement operations caused you inconveniences.
Privilege is a concept which entitles guests with certain benefits ,however the totality of our clients must be treated with the corresponding standards to a hotel of our category; we do not accept any different.
We extend you our gratitude for your remarks which give us the opportunity of improving our performance.

There are newer reviews for Ocean Coral & Turquesa

Reviewed 7 March 2012

The value for your dollar was phenomenal at this resort. Beach, pool, spa, lots of restaurants, atmosphere.... All perfect!! The customer service was phenomenal. No long waits for drinks.
Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: February 2012
2  Thank Theresab1000

Thank you very much for post .It is rewarding to know you had a good time at OCT. We hope we will host you again in the near future.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 7 March 2012

Ocean Turquesa was great. Clean clean clean. Hard working staff ensures it is kept that way. They have several pools (kids,activity,party & quiet) so you can simply pick where you wish to set up. Noise volume from music and entertainment staff talking could possibly be toned down a bit (maybe just showing my age). I am in a wheel chair and can also hobble along on crutches. Excellent marks for rampage and elevators that can allow you to go anywhere. Wheel chair restrooms are close to two main pools however they lack in a couple of areas. The way the doors swing its hard to get your wheel chair in and be able to shut the door. More importantly there are no grab bars (I did suggest that they install these) in these bathrooms making transfers difficult. Our room was an Ocean view room on the third floor and was very nice. It was a tight squeeze but doable in a wheel chair. Slight lips to get onto balcony and into shower stall. My partner helped me to get over each of these. I had to get creative to have a shower as I simply grabbed a small chair from the balcony and transferred to it for a shower. To be fair I did not ask for a disability room as I can maneuver a bit from my chair. All in all you can do this resort from a wheel chair. They need to improve a bit but they are close. If I had to mildly complain I'd say that the buffet was mediocre at best. We did enjoy the a la cartes and experienced no issues getting into them. Airport experience from Cancun was exceptional and the no issues getting to and from hotel. Elevators were out for a few hours one day and staff simply picked me with wheel chair and got me to my room....amazing!

Room Tip: Garden view rooms are quieter. Music, entertainment noise constant near party pool thus Ocean view r...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank hab4evr

We are grateful for posting your comments about your last vacations at our resort. It is good to learn that you have a satisfactory experience and that you found our facilities convenient. We would like to thank you for your remarks and improvement areas, so we can offer a better service and comfort to future guests.

Warm regards,

Reviewed 6 March 2012

My wife and I just returned from the Ocean Coral & Turquesa. Overall we hads a real good time. The resort is on the smaller side so you are not from from anything. I don't think there is a room that is more than 5 minutes from the beach or anything on the resort.

The food was good throughout the week. The Italian restaurant was excellent. The Japanese restaurant was OK. The buffet in the morning was good, we didn't eat there for lunch or dinner as we either ate at one of the theme resturants for dinner or in Playa del Carmen. For lunch we seemed to always end up at the restaurant by the activity pool. The food there was pretty good, escpecially the chicken.

The staff were friendly and helpful. No complaints there.

Rooms were kept clean by housekeeping.

My wife found the beds to be a little hard.

Taxi cabs to Playa del Carmen from the resort seemed to be on the expensive side at 450 pesos for a taxi up to four people and 900 pesos for a van of 5 -8 people, but I don't have any previous experience to go by. We were able to get a van back from Playa del Carmen for 650 pesos. The taxi from the hotel will wait for you for three hours if you want, but it is pretty easy to catch a cab back to the resort from Playa del Carmen.

All in all we had a good time and would definately go back.

Room Tip: Try to get a room in and around the kids pool. If you want an area without alot of noise at night t...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
6  Thank chrismakris

We truly appreciate that you take your time to post your opinion about our resort. It is with a great pleasure to know that your vacations were satisfactory. Be sure that we will be pleased to host your next vacations.

Reviewed 5 March 2012

I spent a week at this resort in early November 2011. I went with my boyfriend and another couple and we had a great time. The hotel and grounds were beautiful. The pools and lobbies were beautiful. A fresh beach towel was given every day which was great. Everything was very clean and the staff were good. Nothing loud to keep us up at night. Your room fridge is filled everyday. The staff are great at getting everyone involved in activities. There were no bugs and because the buffet and restaurants are indoors there were no flies around the food. I thought the food was pretty good overall for an all inclusive. There was a lot of variety and the buffets did change up a little each day. We didn't have to make reservations at the a la carte's but also some of them weren't open as it wasn't high season.
Only negatives and reasons why I didn't give it an excellent rating is because we didn't get our wake up call one morning, the music around the pools starts early in the morning and is played quite loud, the beds weren't that great and the rooms smelled musty due to the high humidity.
When we arrived we had two double beds as opposed to the King we asked for. The staff quickly pushed them together for us. Our friends didn't have the ocean view room they requested but were given the right room the next night. The service was overall good but not excellent.
Besides the few negatives I would recommend this resort and would go again.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
7  Thank VancouverVoyager1

We extend our gratitude for taking your time to share your opinion about your last vacations at OCT. Rest assure that the corrective measures regarding your observations will be taken. We will be glad to welcome you again in your next vacations.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 5 March 2012

We came back February 28 2012.
Our visit was for a wedding,we were a group of about 35. Upon arrival we were greeted with fruit cocktail welcome drinks.. as were others in the lobby. Herded to the sign in desk,which unknown to me, hubby upgraded us- after all that I told him I read on Tripadvisor.... ugh! :)
It is $59.00 extra a day per person,you get a band around your wrist saying you are privilege,and with that you get: lobster ($42.00 ea.) at one of 2 rest. upgraded drinks,which we found out were $17.50 each,if you bought one!(crown & Coke) a butler,room service,breakfast room service,jacuzzi tub/shower on deck,quiet end of resort,turn down service,pre-booking rest.,laundry service,privilege lounge/internet,internet in your room,(free wi-fi in lobby) I am sure there were a few other things,but forgetting at this moment. :(
For the rest. bookings a lone! I am soooo greatful the hubby did the upgrade,others in the wedding party did not and they were eating at 9/10 p.m. Most of the wedding party ate at the buffet,because of this...... The buffet did seem to make most happiest,more of a selection, bigger portions, we did have vegetarians in the group,for the most part the rests. did try to help out ... Villa Marina,not so much,this was the WORST place to eat at,in the evening,day it was good because of the help yourself beer area!! (Corona) lol
The service at this place was horrible,almost ruined the trip,we went there on the 3 rd from the last day of trip,when the server rolled his eyes at request for a virgin drink for our niece,I was floored! I only wish I got his name!! arg! The food was not all that great either,we did try to order a bit of everything,niece wanted a burger,came back to say all out (?) what would she like next?? hotdog was the pick, came back to say all out of those as well?! (* sports bar,next door,could not have gotten from there?? family place,how do you run out of these??? only like 7 things on the kids menu??)
The Italian place was good,as well as the Mexican,Japanese,was ok. Trying to book a table around the "entertainment" cooking table,was a nightmare,with the privilege! and we tried a few days in advance.. sake was good!
All the snack bars at the pools were fine,veggies,chicken nuggets,salads,burgers,steak,fruit,good variety.
Rooms were large,air conditioning,thank goodness! Our room had a dehumidifier,our friends did not... both of us were privilege....
But one has to know,when in Mexico,there is NO consistency ... some times we got turn down,sometimes not,lol
The people all around were wonderful!*except for the Villa Marina person.....
We were offered spanish lessons,buy the cleaning ladies,someone always with a friendly comment and or asking if we needed anything....
I did have something stolen,a shirt,I did leave it out,it may have been mistaken as pillow case?? same material etc. I did ask the lady,Aurora,but she did not have or no anything.. in the end it was a shirt,and if someone needed THAT,so be it.
The pools were good,far end was the kids pool,the pool directly under balcony at check in,is the activity pool,games,yoga etc . The next pool is the "party" pool,swim up bar,latin dancing,karaoke,etc GREAT bed type areas to people/star watch from at this pool.The last pool,is the quietest one,with the le crepiere rest./snack bar by day.
The day we were leaving though,it appeared the majority that had checked in had kids,so this pool would have NOT been the quiet one-this end is the privilege end...... also the end the weddings on the beach take place at...
From the resort you can walk along the beach to Puerto Morelos,about a 45 min walk,longer if you stop at the other resorts for a drink or eats.
Play de Carmen,about 25 min taxi- cost both ways about 1800 pesos,for a group of 8-worked out best way to go... driver stays with you,you tell him 2-3 hours,he waits and then takes you back! awesome The bell boys were helpful for translation if needed.
There is a zoo Croco Cun,you see if when you turn off highway to the resort,one should go to this for sure,very enjoyable, 25 us to get in,you are in a small tour group,ours was 8 people,you hold and learn about the animals there.. monkeys,alligator,snakes,turtles,with or with out kids,a great time! :) Give yourself at least the 1-1.5 hours (our tour was more like 2.5 hours!<tour guide was great!)
Allot of promotion to tell friends to come to Cancun,by many,you see no guns?? this would be true,we only saw them in Play de Carmen,and one truck with army drive by second to last day.....
I forgot to mention the sit down session,the following morning,it was informative,as in what tours,check out info,etc took about an hour.....I would not do the 4-5 hour sell you a time share!.....
Would I go back to this place?
I would say no,I think they need to change up a few things,when one checks in,hand out a "package" with info-LIKE as privilege,you get 10% off in gift shop,found out last day,lobster dinner,you need a coupon before you got to the rest.,the newsletter at the check in counter that tells you the activities for the day,-these and others would have made it a much better time- not so much up to the person staying to find out,but more info there,and YOU to enjoy your time....
People great,but some changes do need to be made.....

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank bartender25

We truly appreciate your comments about your last visit to our resort. It is good to realize that you were satisfied with our Privilege Services. Nevertheless we regret that your experience was not satisfactory , specially with some members of our staff, and also that the lack of information did not allowed you to enjoy your vacations to the fullest.
Actions should be taken regarding your remarks in order to prevent future inconveniences to our guests.

Reviewed 5 March 2012

We stayed at this resort from Feb 20th to March 1st. Everything about our stay was fantastic. The food was great, the beach was stunning, the water in the sea is perfect temperature and best of all was the staff. We stayed in the honeymoon suite and received multiple phone calls from the guest service manager throughout our stay just checking in on us and seeing if we were having a good experience. All requests were done very promptly and with sincerity! The bartenders and waiters are the best around! Veronika is the best of all - always with a smile, always there exactly when you need something, we all LOVED her. She deserves to be promoted! We cannot wait to go back next year!!!!!

Room Tip: Privelege is totally worth it!
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Dasha L

It is with reward to learn that you found your experience at our resort satisfactory, that your expectations were fulfilled by our facilities, and also that you appreciate the performance of our personnel. We extend our gratitude for taking your time to share your opinion and we will be glad to welcome you again on your next vacations.

Warm regards,

Hotel Riu Yucatan
#63 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
6.1 km away
Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort

Been to Ocean Coral & Turquesa? Share your experiences!