Absolutely awful, awful experience. You could not pay us to return here. We are not picky travelers and generally stay at Best Westerns if we travel, if that tells you anything. First we arrived at the resort and the bell boys wouldn't stop hounding us to take our luggage. We didn't feel comfortable with them taking it and had to tell them repeatedly to stop grabbing at it. Now I will go step-by-step through our experience:
Check-in. We owed $900 for the all-inclusive ammenities and they charged us $1700. After 30 minutes of trying to figure out how to refund our card, they tell us we have a room with two double beds. I tell them it is our honeymoon and then they start sighing with frustration and go to get a manager. After another 20 minutes, they get us in a room with one queen bed.
Beds are not "firm"...they are ROCK HARD. I would have been more comfortable sleeping in a lounge chair. See the problem this presents on a honeymoon? The room itself is clean and nice-looking, but you soon begin to realize the severe lack of accomodations in the room. The frosted glass shower and bathroom stall door leave little to the imagination and I hope your number two smells like roses otherwise it will permeate the room with ease.
Minus the Tepanyaki Japanese restaraunt, everything was extremely average or below average. The buffet lacks in American cuisine and is very European which is okay if you like that, but don't expect any cereal, waffles, etc. The American restaurant was disgusting and had plain, unseasoned and cold food (burgers, hot dogs). The Italian restaurant was the first place we ate and the portion sizes were small and the entrees were a bit bizarre. We enjoyed the coffee shop and good mochas. Concerning alcohol, make sure you are a "priviledged" member. The free alcohol is not worth drinking. Even though we would've enjoyed a few drinks here and there, we mostly didn't drink because they were so awful with the cheap liquor.
Watch out. A friendly man offered to help us get a cab to Playa Del Carmen. He told us there was another couple traveling there and offered to have us split a cab to save money. We were very happy. We sat next to the couple we were traveling with and the man happened to speak fluent Spanish. He had overheard the concierge talking about the travelers to Playa del Carmen and figured out he had overcharged both couples by $35 and planned to pocket the extra money. The man went over and demanded the money back and he gave us ours back as well. The cab showed up and we still split the cab, but instead we offered to pay for the way there and they could pay for the way back. We did not trust the staff after this. We also did not keep anything in the safe as we overheard another couple telling us their passports and jewelry had been stolen out of it after housekeeping came in.
Not great, not terrible. Karaoke and dance night, Mayan Dance show, a very bizarre silent comedy show and a few American movies in their theatre room. Prepare to pay extra for motorized water sports and pretty much anything else you'd like to do.
Would have been nice if they were not freezing. We hated the fact that none of the property had hot tubs. We asked for a room with a jacuzzi and we were willing to pay the extra price of $50 more every night and they said they had no rooms available.
Being recently married we felt in love and happy so that was enough to keep our spirits high, but that was it. The resort continually threatened our good mood with bad service, bad food, bad liquor, a rock-hard bed and mediocre ammenities.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in the heart of the Mexican Caribbean, this enchanting all-inclusive resort offers an array of activities to engage your senses. This dazzling all-inclusive resort is located on prime beachfront property in the heart of the Mexican Caribbean, close to Cancun and neighboring Riviera Maya communities. With sweeping views of the Caribbean, a magnificent white-sand beach with crystalline waters, and surrounded with tropical foliage, Ocean Coral & Turquesa offers a wide range of activities for everyone, along with an assortment of services to ensure that you have an unforgettable Caribbean vacation. Enjoy a variety of gastronomic fare, round-the-clock entertainment, children's programs, and Mexican hospitality. Whether it's a romantic getaway for two, a family vacation, a self-indulging spa vacation, even a business retreat, we have it all, in one all-inclusive package. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd and getaroom.com so you can book your Ocean Coral & Turquesa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ocean Coral & Turquesa Hotel Puerto Morelos
- Ocean Coral And Turquesa
- Ocean Coral & Turquesa Riviera Maya, Mexico