“Best Vacation/Wedding”

Ocean Coral & Turquesa
Ranked #16 of 28 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 8 July 2009

We went to the Ocean Turquesa with a group of 32 people on June 27th for one week to have my wedding there. After the heartache of having our trip cancelled more then once because of the flu - we were all determined to get to the resort and have our wedding. We booked the resort directly with the H10 website which I was alittle hesitant about doing, but everything worked out great. We got to the resort at 11 am on saturday and were all welcomed and checked in at the privilege desk. We knew we had to wait for our rooms, but that didn't stop anyone from enjoying the ammenities of the resort when we arrived.

After everything we went through to get there I have to say that I can not speak more highly about the service, staff or resort. From the start the staff did everything they could to accomodate us. Our wedding was on monday and after 2 days of rain - the weather held off for us and we had a beautiful ceremony on the beach. Ana the wedding coordinator at the resort was there whenever we needed her and went out of her way to accomodate my guests whenever they needed something. I don't think I can thank her enough for everything she did for me and my family. I worked with her for over a year on the wedding and it was more then I could have dreamed it would be. Our whole group went privilege and what a great addition to making your stay there. With the private lounge and beach, everyone in the group loved the hot to serve breakfast available in the privilege lounge, and beverage service on the beach.

All the staff at the resort were very friendly and accomodating but I have to give great thanks to Ana (wedding coordinator), Martin (front desk- went out of his way to help me and family when we had an emergency and was able to answer and get us whatever we needed, even when it wasn't his responsibility) and Victor (privilege waiter - best waiter ever!!!) for making our vacation and wedding the most memorable. With a group this big you sometimes find it hard to please everyone but all my guests were happy with everything.

We stayed in the Royal Master Suite that faced the ocean directly in building 7. Our guests were mainly in building 2,6 and 8 but they were all relatively close to each other. The pools are fantastic and so are the beaches. Yes there is some sea grass (i wouldn't call it seaweed) but they were cleaning it all the time, and what can you expect - it is the ocean and will wash up no matter where you are.

Overall I would recommend this resort to anyone, especially if you are thinking about a beach wedding in mexico. Ana is wonderful to work with and will make your dream wedding come true. We are sooooo happy with the way things turned out and with the resort, staff and service. We will surely go back to this resort next year!

• Stayed: June 2009
12  Thank junebug_9
Write a ReviewReviews (12,066)

Reviewed 8 July 2009

We stayed at this hotel during June 24 - July 1, 2009. We had in total of 14 people in our group and he had a average time there. Where do I start? Check-in was relatively simple and short. Rooms were nicely decorated but th beds were absolutely terrible. Spring mattress beds were noisy and very uncomfortable. The room needed to stay cold to eliminate moisture build-up on the tile floors due to humidity. The bathrooms, were ok. I didn't like the shower because shower waters kept leaking out to the bathroom area, little annoyed but not a big issue. The sink had drainage problem but I wasn't bother by it. The resort grounds were very well maintained, but since it was only about a year old, it was very clean and prestine. The beverage service was very nice throughout the lobby, pool and at the beach area. Please be sure to tip these girls because they work really hard and stops by frequently to check on your drinks. The beach was nice but the sea weeds/plants floating in the water and washed up plants was a bit of an eye sore. But that didn't bother me.
Now to the issues at this resort:
1). Food - Let me just say, I've been to many resorts and restaurants in the past but no where have ever got my spaghetti wrong. This place has the worst food. Eggs didn't taste like eggs, juices didn't taste like juice... I was truly annoyed and irritated with the food at all the restaurants. Anything remotely decent were hamburgers and hot dogs at the Beach Grill by the pool area. The food was really bad here.
2). Restaurants -
Sensai - This is the Japanese Steakhouse style restaurant. It's impossible to make a reservation, and the women by the door was very snobby. We put our name on the list to be seated the next day but after waiting 2 hours, I decided to let the Hotel Restaurant Manager (Roger) made aware of the issue. He took very well care of us in getting the reservation and even seating us at the restaurants.
Italian - It's the same damn food at the buffet. Don't bother.
Seaside Grill (Beach Grill by the Pool converted in the evening) - Steaks were like rubbers, it sucked too.
Mexican (next to coffee shop) - Check out the arrogant Mexican manager by the grill. Just be sure not to ask anything from this guy. (you'll want to punch this guy out). What? No Salsa???

Sports and Activities:
Water Sports - They only have Kayaks and small sail boats here. No jet skis and no parasailing. What a bummer.

Entertainment - What a joke.

Spa - Massage was very nice. But the Spa sucks. Men's lockroom didn't even have lockers! And there were young black couple that were making way too much damn noise. No ambience, it sucked.

Shopping - Nice hotel store, but everything was very pricey.

Bottomline - If you're looking for a quite get away from busy Cancun, then this is the place. But if you have family with Kids, please stay away. Just go to other hotels in downtown Cancun.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
EVEGT, assistant manager at Ocean Coral & Turquesa, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2009

Dear Travellers;

We truly thank you for taking your time in posting your opinion regarding your stay at our property.

Becuase of your feedbacks we have the opportunnity of improving our services and performance.

We are aware of individuals are different such as particular likes and appreciation ;even when it is dificult to please every one, we continue with our goal of catering our custumers needs 100%.

Regards,

Eveanny Gonzalez
Assistant Manager

Reviewed 8 July 2009

Stayed at the Ocean Coral June 19th - 27th 2009. Overall we had a nice time.
The resort is new and clean. The lobby was the nicest part of the resort, very impessive decor. The rooms were nice and the airconditioner was awesome. Bathroom is very strange as stated by other reviews. It almost feels like a public toilet and not a hotel room. The shower did leak, but they fixed that promptly by adding a water block at the shower door.
I was not real impressed with the food. I have been to many all inclusives and this one ranks pretty low in the food department. The buffet outside by the pool was hectic and the food was not very high quality. You will eat alot of nachos due to the lack of other selections that are good. The hamburgers! Lets just say NO!
The inside buffet reminded me of a cafeteria instead of a tropical resort dining area. Bright lights. No ambiance. They need to add candle light, dim the lights and spruce things up a bit. The food here was ok.
The restaurants were way to hard to get in to. We only had a chance to go to the italian in the 9 days that we were there. You have to really work at getting in to these if you are not a preferred guest.
Also, don't think you can upgrade to preferred guest status once you arrive at the resort. You will be told no. In fact I was really tired of being told no while I was there.
There is really no night life here. And I am not sure why. They have disco area in the Sports bar and also by the pool at night. BUT, they will not play anything decent to dance to. I requested over and over that they change the music to salsa or disco , but all we would get was rap. I was told no! It is not possible. WHY? It almost seemed as if they would prefer for you to be bored and go to bed so that they would not have to provide for you any further. I guess it is easier and cheaper to send you to bed due to boredom. I was really annoyed by this as it would be so easy to change this up and get people involved.
The bar tenders work so hard and so do the wait staff. The girls that waited on guests around the pool were great! The only problem is there is not enough of them. The bar tenders are filling coke orders and beer orders and making frozen drinks . This is nuts!
Put a self serve coke dispenser and a self serve beer tap so that guests can take care of that themselves. They have this way over at the buffet , but not by the swim up bar pool. Again! Why? This would free the bar tenders up to handle the frozen drinks and cocktails. As it is now you wait a long time to get a drink and it gets irritating.
The beach here is not like your typical Cancun beaches. It is murky and lots of seaweed.
As a result the resort is mainly set up around the pools. The beach is very quiet. There is no beach bar with activities as other resorts here typically have. If you are total beach person stay away.
The resort is also out away from everything. Cancun is 30 minutes away and Playa Del Cramen is 30 minutes away. Did not really like this as I like to get out from the resort and go to town a few times during the week. The shuttle service runs at strange times so you end up taking taxis and spending too much money. Just a note to consider.
Overall this resort was nice and we still had fun. It is sad because it could be so much better with some simple changes. I think the management should either listen to the guests recommedations are be fired. The guests should be number one.
Come on Ocean Coral change this up and you will get people to give good reviews and come back. Listen to your guests!
I will not go back as there are way toomany other resorts that have better options.
Sorry to give a negative review.

3  Thank RICKDallas
Reviewed 6 July 2009

This was our 5th time to Mexico, we've gone both with and without children (6/8/10) and stayed at three, four, and five star resorts. We stayed for 10 days and 9 nights. As we've come to find out, its a give and take no matter where you stay

This trip was our first to Ocean Coral and Turquesa and H10 resorts. Our initial thoughts based on the reviews and our research was-- the resort was bigger then where we typically stay, but it had a better selection of restaurants, a better beach, nicer rooms, a kids club, and a location that was a short drive from the airport.

Most of our perceptions of Ocean Coral were accurate, with a few exceptions:

Resort: Its a good size place, with four pools which was nice in that it allowed the guests to spread out and the beach was wide and fairly deep. Free Wi-Fi in the lobby was nice. The gift shop surprisingly had decent prices. Photo team was nice, they walk around taking pics all day long and you can view them in the gift shop daily.

Location: Great--took like 20 mins from the hotel.

Beach: Visually the beach is nice--wide, fairly deep, and lined with palapas. There's seaweed and they do a good job of cleaning it up...almost too good a job, the guy driving the tractor seemed to keep going by despite the fact there was little seaweed left to pick up. At times the water looked very turquiose and at other times very cloudy and dark. It seemed the sunnier it got the better the water looked. We got great waiter service from Iliana who worked the kids pool and the beach by there. We could always find a palapa and beach chairs whether we got down early or later in the day. Myself and my kids were swimming all week and we were getting small linear rashes on our arms and legs.. we didnt make the connection until the end of the week when someone asked if we were getting stung by jellyfish too... then we realized...ouch!

Restaurants: Never had a bad meal anywhere, and the kids always found something to eat. Was confusing at first figuring out the set-up. Italian you need to make reservations at 3:00 for dinner, which meant you had to leave the beach @ 2:30 to go wait in line, sometimes there would be line of 25+ people waiting and sometime by 3:15 they booked up for the night. The other resturants Sensei, and the Mexican, did not have reservations but generally had lines most of the night waiting to get in unless you got there right at opening. The food was great at all places we visited but the kids did get antsy a few times as at the sit-down restaurants the food was served in courses, and thus it took some time to work through to the meal and dessert.

We didn't enjoy the poolside restaurant, but it mainly due to the fact that we had a horrible server who screwed up our order and then offered my wife surf & turf per his manager as an apology (normally $42.00 extra charge) and then tracked me down at another restaurant to tell me he needed my room number to charge the food to our room... lol after a discussion with the manager we avoided being charged but it caused us some aggravation to say the least. Sensei was a nice experience, the cook wasn't the most skilled person, but he put on a decent show and the kids enjoyed it.

Mike's coffee provided us with some good desserts and coffee throughout our stay--although I forgot about TA posts about the deli sanwiches at lunch and kicked myself for not going there more often earlier in my trip as the sandwiches are great!

Room: . The rooms served their purpose, nothing to write home about. It was nice having the fridge stocked with beers, water and soda's--we left a note with our preferences and they were met. Maids cleaned and mopped the floors every day--very clean rooms--and we asked for extra towels and got them as well.

Pools: We visited the swim up bar pool. the activities pool, and the kids pool. All were great, with either showers in them, waterfalls, or bubbled seating areas, that kept the kids and adults entertained. Activities pool always had a crowd doing something. The kids pool was great in that it had a bar and food there--pizza burgers and hotdogs, which was nice. There was also a bathroom right there as well, where at other pools it was a hike to the bathroom. At the kids pool we painted some pottery one afternoon and the items came back looking great, it was a nice break and kept the kids entertained for a little while. The kids club or Daisy club seemd more appropriate for younger kids, mostly coloring, shaded sandbox area, covered area with small basketball hoop. They really didnt do any organized activities to entertain the kids, as compared to some other places we've gone that had a schedule of the days activities and the kids could pick and choose what they wanted to do.

Staff: Dining room staff with one exception I mentioned was great. Especially in the Casa Del Mar-buffett restaurant. At the smaller resrts we've stayed we got to know the staff by name and get to know them personally-- at a bigger place you lose that ability.

Front Desk: We booked what we thought was an ocean view room, and we got there we were first floor. We requested to go up a floor or two, but were told they had no availability, then told to come back on Saturday (we checked in on Wed)--then we were told $20.00/night per adult for the remaining nights of our stay. After all the different stories they gave us, I gave up. Regardless, we made the best of it.

Entertainment: As many have mentioned, they were limited in this area. There was a nightly show in a small theater but there was always a line out the door--really too small given the size of the resort. Shows were decent. Friday night they have a mexican theme, with vendors and Mexican dancing exhibition afterwards. The vendors had some decent prices once you started to barter with them.

Excursion: Edventure Tours--we did Tulum, Cenotes, Snorkel with sea turtles, and snorkel in a lagoon, great people, great price

All in all, it was a great vacation, the beach and pools were great, the food was great, but the resort just didnt have the feel we were used to. We also got a great deal even though we booked before the Swine Flu Hysteria hit the news. The resort was pretty full as I guess they closed the Ocean Maya and moved the people to Ocean Coral.

Given where we've been and given our experience at Ocean Coral, I think we could find a comparable place for a similar price at a lot of other hotels in the area, and thus would probably not return here unless the price was at a level we couldn't refuse.

3  Thank jeffpags
Reviewed 6 July 2009

My husband, I and four friends stayed July 1-5, 2009. We checked in about 10:300A.M. It was not busy when we checked in and did not have long to wait. Our rooms were not ready ,so we changed and went to the pool. When we returned at 1:30 we were able to get into our rooms. We asked to have our rooms close to one another and were given rooms right next to one another. All the rooms had an ocaen view. Due to humidity our rooms were musty smelling when we first entered, but we set the air at 19 degrees and didn't have any more problems. Our showwer worked fine, but both of the other couples had showers that leaked out into the room. Remember to point the sprayer towards the back of the shower and I think you won't have this problem.
The grounds of the resort are very nice and I thought everything was well maitained and cleaned.
I also thought the staff was very friendly & helpful.
All of the restaurants are on the ground floor on the outside of the pool area.
We ate at the Italian restaurant and the food was o.k. You must make a reservation. Go at three o'clock in order to get a reservation
Our group liked the Japanese place. The favorite was the Beef Chow Mein,
We also liked the outdoor place by the pool for supper. Try the seafood soup and cajuin Rib eye
The beach was very nice, but the ocean has a lot of seaweed. The water was not as blue as some of the other places I've stayed. The pools are very clean and the daytime activities were fun. It looked like they had a lot of activities for kids at the daisy club area.
We enjoyed the violin music in the evening, up near the lobby bar. They also had lots of place to sit and visit with friends both inside and on the outside patios. We took advantage of the 2 for the price of one at the spa. Two fifty minute masages for $99.00, wonderful!!. Over all I would say this is a great resort, I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank MissouriAbby
Reviewed 6 July 2009

My husband and I recently returned from a stay at this hotel. It was our second time in the Yucatan and we ahd a great time. The resort is very nice-a nice medium size-0the ground are beatiful and clean. The pools are great and very close to the beach-so you can hop back and forth easily. The rooms are clean and modern. For anyone who complains the rooms smell funny-It is just because of the warm weather-you sometimes get a slightly musty smell-but really don't think twice about it. The staff is very friendly and speaks english very well also. The resort is on a stretch of beach that is a national park because of the coral reef located 500 feet off shore. There is sea grass that washes up on shore and at first it seems like a lot-but by the end of the week I didn't even notice it. The hotel does a good job of cleaning up the beach constantly. The beach has nice little huts to provide shade and the waitresses come down for drink requests. The water is clear and warm and if you swim out past the buoys, the snorkelling gets really good. On one of our morning walks-we spotted a huge sea turtle just off shore so we swam out to him and got to touch him and swim with him-I was AWESOME-no tour required, just swimming right in front of the hotel. We also saw stringrays, fish, lobsters and lots more.
The food at the hotel is very good-for anyone who is complaining they are just picky eaters. The buffet is good-but definetly try the al a carte resturants. The Italian and Mexican are both great-try the chocolate cake-it is to die for!!! The only thing that is not so great is making reservations for the Italian restuarant-you have to go stand in line staring a 3:00 pm to get a reservation for that night-be there at 2:45!!! The other restaurants are first come first serve-so if you want to eat at an al a carte-you have to go between 6:00-6:30-a nd even then you may have to wait-but hey have a few drinks and relax!!!
The enterainment is a little cheesy-typical resort stuff, but they do have a market come in one night for all the shopaholics out there!!! It is a quiet place at night. The staff at the resort walk around snapping all kinds of pictures and you can purchase them at the gift store-they bring out big iguanas and toucans to take pics with!!
Swim up bar is great-the make a very good pina colada!!! Corona on tap!!!!
Trafic Tours is located in the lobby to plan all your excursions-they are very good and resonably priced. We went to XEl-has one day and had a great time-It is fun to snorkel in the lagoon and go tubing on the river-bring aqua shoes as you can end up doing alot of walking. We also booked the Samba tour to Isla Mujeres-this was a lot of fun- you go out ona catamaran ( all inclusive) snorkel for about 45 minutes ( amazing snorkelling) -go to the island and hold a shark and get your pic taken. Shop downtown for awhile-tons of stores and then head over to the beach club for lunch and relaxing. On the way home if the weather is right you can ride the spinaker-which is a parachute attached to the sail of the boat- great day especially if your with a good group of people like we were!! Our last excursion was the original snorkelling adventure-this was the second time we have done this tour- I t is just great- if you go on the morning tour they take you out to 2 different locations- the snorkelling is amazing-be warned it is alot of swimming!!!
Overall we had a great trip-for anyone who is complaining about the hotel I can assure you all that is is just great ( and my husband and I have been to quite a few all inclusives) YOU HAVE NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT. People who complain about vacation, should just be grateful they can go on a beautiful vacation. SO go and enjoy and its up to you in the end what makes a trip great or not!!!!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
6  Thank jwilhelm
Reviewed 6 July 2009

My girlfriend and i just stayed at the Ocean Coral & Turquesa resort in Puerto Morelos Mexico. We were there from June 26th to July 3rd, 2009. It was her first trip to Mexico and I have been coming here since 1995.

THE ROOM: We checked into our room and noticed the refridgerator was missing. I went to the front desk and reported this. A staff person beat me back to the room. He said he would be right back with a 'fridge and he was. He had taken it out of the room next door that was being cleaned for the next guests. Problem solved for us but not for the people getting that room now without the 'fridge. Our room was a little musty when we first got in but got better immediately once we were there. We didn't notice it the rest of the week. The room was very clean and nice. We didn't get room service one day, not a big deal to us. The air conditioned worked very well all week because we hung a streamer in front of the vent and this faked out the motion detector to thinking someone was in the room moving around.

THE RESORT IN GENERAL: Staff were very friendly and anxious to please. Layout was good, pools were always clean, not any night life. No problem for us, we didn't go for that. Beach had a little seaweed and they cleaned it twice daily. Not enough to wory about. Be careful because there were many rocks on the ocean floor.This was on the south side of the resort. My biggest complaint was that the supposedly "QUIET" pool was many days not very quiet with screaming brats. There is a kids pool but the inconsiderate parents didn't take the screamers to that pool some days. The staff needs to improve on this. The resort did get very busy, on the weekends, with the locals. During the week it was much better. We did not select the PRIVELEDGE package and during the week did not see the benefits were worth the extra cost.($30 USD per person per day) We could ask for Absolute or Smirnoff with the basic package. If you don't ask they will pour the cheapo Mexican brands. The only beers they had were Corona draft and some cheap canned beer in the rooms. This needs improvement.

THE FOOD: We thought the buffet was good (we're not paticular) with a variety of items. We did breakfast and some dinners at the buffet. We ate at the Japanese one night. We couldn't get a decent time to sit at the hibachi grill, so we did the sitdown menu. It was OK. We did the Crepes at the supposedly 'quiet" pool one night. It was a snack bar during the day but transformed to crepes at night. It was very good and the service from Juann Carlos was superb. It is a bit of an ordeal to make reservations for the specialty restaurants. You have to stand in line awhile in the afternoons to make reservations for that night. Overall we were pleased with the food.

I have rambeled long enough. I don't believe the resort is a 4 star, more like a 3.5. It was a very good value considering what we paid and we would definately stay here again. We both had a very relaxing vacation. Maybe all aldult next time.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Excellence Riviera Cancun
#2 of 28 in Puerto Morelos
6.2 km away
Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort

Been to Ocean Coral & Turquesa? Share your experiences!