New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #7 of 26 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
Toledo, Ohio
“El Chique Restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2012

We loved it. A "tapas" type restaurant with multiple small servings just bursting with incredible combinations of flavors. The presentations were just as interesting and imaginative. The wait staff was very friendly and helpful. We went back for the "premium" meal and were given a kitchen table where we were able to watch the staff prepare the dishes. The head chef came by several times to explain the foods, how they are prepared, etc. very personable, very much a great dining "experience" (pardon the cliche).

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MarkGL58

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,897)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2012

We stayed from feb 7 to feb 21 2012. We travelled with my son (21 months) myself and my husband and my parents and we had adjoining ground floor rooms in the family block.
The hotel provided a cot (we went through 3 options before we found one that suited us - they were very accomodating) - they have wooden cots with and without drop sides and also travel cots.
We took our own buggy although I'm aware that the hotel will provide one if you want one.
There were loads of high chairs and we never had to wait to use one. They didn't provide plastic plates but did have plastic mugs (not sippy cups) so I was glad we took some of our own cutlery.
The staff are amazing - particularly mario in spoons - when our soon was in full melt down and refusing to get in the high chair he brought a toy and showed him his little mario charm and calmed him down when we were struggling. My son asked for him every time we ate in spoons. The staff were very accommodating with our son generally and it was a relaxed holiday as a result.
We did find he pools a little cold but fine once you were in.
The food was generally good but we had a few average meals - staff took on board feedback and were exceptionally helpful with allergies and me being vegetarian - there was a much wider choice than id anticipated.
The beach is ok - they make huge efforts to remove the sea weed by the waters edge but it is a losing battle. I went in the sea once on a day where there was little seaweed. We knew this before we went. They do have a little playground on the beach which my son loved and a box of sand toys although it was a bit light on spades!
My son loved the stay and play sessions in the fisher price room and the fact that he could have a toy (from the concierge) in his room (no charge)
One issue the hotel should address is the old problem of people reserving sunbeds with towels and then not using them for hours - this was only a problem in our second week when the hotel was much busier.
There were lots of books to borrow for adults but I was glad we had taken some books for my son.
Location is a little isolated but again we knew this before we travelled.
We also had dinner at le chic - some people raved about it but I wasn't that bothered - they did do vegetarian options.
The fisher price breakfast was brilliant - my son loved it.

• Stayed February 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Bodinlondon
Cambridge, Ontario
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2012

I travelled with my husband and 9 yr old in a group of 55 people for a friends wedding. Returned February 19, 2012 from a one week stay. This resort was great - the entire facility was clean and functional, the food was top notch with lots of variety including late night room service, the kids club was great with lots of activities and great hours, the drinks were spectacular loved the Carlos Special and to top it off the staff were friendly and helpful.

The kids club has several rooms (doll, lego, nap, gym, rock climbing wall, theater). The activities included both indoor and outdoor activities, including tennis and waterballoon toss. The late hours of the kids club allowed us to attend dinner out without kids - they ordered room service earlier. The movies in the theater were in English - they watched Megamind the first night we arrived. The kids shows at 8pm were good and interactive too -- puppets, ballet performance, etc. You can get a printout when you arrive of what is going on during your stay. Our kids did find playing in the pool with each other was fun to.

The one down side to this resort that is in no way any fault of the resort, is that the ocean swimming was not possible due to lots of seaweed, however the beach was large to lay out on. I have to say that this did not have a negative effect on my vacation as the pools were plentiful and not crowded.

We booked two excursions - deep sea fishing for my husband --- they caught fish and had a good time, the other was a family outing Xtreme Snorkling --- rappeling, zip lining, cenote snorkle and sea turtle snorkle in the ocean --- this was an awesome excursion that included lunch and a little beach time.

Overall this was an awesome vacation and I will likely return here soon.

Room Tip: There is an option of swim up rooms - not sure this is worth it for the average traveller unless you...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank OntarioLovethesun
Vancouver, BC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 February 2012

Just came back from azul sensatori and loved it and didn't want to leave.

We have the adult only swim up suite. It is awesome. Since room service is included, every morning , we enjoyed the sunshine and brakfast at our own swim up pool. Lovely. The swim up pool is very clean, there is somebody cleaning it everyday. The adult section is very quiet and private. It happened that our swim up is just right behind the waves bar, so getting a drink is just steps away. Seriously, I didn't have to leave my room much. Swim up pool water is colder than the public one because it doesn't get as much sun but it's still bearbable. I enjoyed it. In regards to the amount of sun u get in your own swim up depends on which building u r staying at. Mine is facing south, I get sun early in the morning till around 1-2pm and then we will move to the public pool. By then there will be at least 1-2 chairs available. Yes, ppl do come get their cabana and chairs 6-7 in the morning. I'm glad I have my own chairs and pool and a couch waiting for me every day.

Service is excellent. I think most of the reviews have agreed on that and I am totally impressed by the service.

Food was excellent except for the Mexican dinner we had on the first day, it was total a disaster. Service was slow, food was aweful and didn't get all we ordered. We didn't try the caribean bistro. But Siena, tapas and le cinque serve awesome food (but in small portion, like tapas size). If u r hungry ., go to Siena or spoon. Le cinque serves a different experience. Each course has its own wow factor. The whole dinner has 9 courses and they were serving them in a very slow pace. We were starting to get impatience towards the end of the dinner. It ended up a 3 hrs dinner. Room service food quality varies but the American breakfast is always good.

Beach - its rocky, murky and a lot of seaweed. We know about it all along. No surprises, so no disappointment. This is because the reef national park is just 10 mins boat ride from the shore , the hotel is not allowed to remove any rocks or the seaweed from the seabed in order to preserve the nearby coral.

Location- also done my research about it and so no surprises either. It is not walkable to any where. So we booked tours online before we arrived and so we wouldn't be rip off by the vendors at the hotel. But if u have to book at the hotel , try the one by the pool. I checked the price w them, say, the chichen itza day tour, it is not way too more expensive than online- so the price should be better than those at the lobby.

All in all, it's a wonderful stay, we will go back without a doubt.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank agentCodyboy
Brockport, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2012

We just returned late Saturday night from a week at the Azul Sensatori - it was an amazing week and we were treated very well by the entire staff that we met along the way. We spent the majority of our time in the area at the southern part of the resort (room 1219) and that seemed to be a little quieter than the other side.

Here's my breakdown:
Service: Amazing. Treated like Royalty the entire time. Every need was tended to without question and with a smile.

Rooms: Our second floor room had a king size bed, a pull out couch. There was a bath/jacuzzi in the room, a very nice balcony and super showerhead (felt like you were under a waterfall). There was a slight "caribbean" odor/mustiness to the room, but not overwhelming, and my wife and sons, who suffer allergies were not impacted. The room was cleaned twice a day - once in the late morning/early afternoon and again when they came to turn down the beds for sleeping - at which point they added the aromatherapy to the room and pillows.

Meals: We ate at Spoon (the buffet) several times, the Caribbean Bistro a few times and the Mexican Restaurant a few times. My sons enjoyed burgers and hot dogs at the beach bbq, and overall the food was amazing. It was fresh, prepared well and the variety was incredible. Room service food was wonderful as well. There were countless choices, and in our part, you could order 24 hours a day.

The Beach: The beach was nice, but loaded with seaweed at the water's edge. The sand was soft and my boys enjoyed playing there. There are many beach beds and chaises there, but we did not use them. We were able to walk a little in each direction, without kids, we would have done more.

The Ocean: This was the biggest downside of the resort. We had hoped to swim and snorkel a little. Fortunately, we had read earlier reviews and it seems like this location is loaded with seaweed constantly. In the entire time we were there, I MIGHT have seen 10 people swimming. There were reports of something biting (jellyfish?), but I didn't experience that. The water wasn't even the clear blue that you see in southern Florida or like we had seen in Playa del Carmen, Cozumel, Hawaii or the Dominican Republic on previous trips. Truthfully, the resort could have been placed anywhere and been fantastic if you were not counting on the ocean. There was a shuttle that took you to a different beach T, Th and Sat...leaving at 9 and getting back at 5. With two little guys, we didn't want to be gone that long or incur the expense of food and drink.

Overall -
The resort is amazing, staff are terrific and helpful. There is an amazing kid's club - xbox, wii, trampoline, little people, geotrax, legos...great activities that our boys enjoyed very much. Kid's pool area is super... If you can't be satisfied at this particular resort (again, other than the beach), you probably can't be satisfied anywhere. Truly.

Let me know if you have specific questions!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank 3Stokers
Toronto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2012

Here it goes...7 days at Azul Sensatori.

We ran into a bit of trouble when we first arrived - they gave us a room that was being treated for ants and stuff, however I refused to go in since there was a guy in there with a huge mask and pesticide tank. I spoke to the manager and he gave us the same room in the 2nd Adult only block. Not a big deal, just wasted about an hour (after traveling from Toronto we just wanted to sit in the sun asap).

Room: I've stayed in many hotels/resorts, and this room was very modern, clean, and everything worked except for the ipod dock. The sinks, counters, shower, bathroom, etc, were exceptionally clean and maintained. Loved the massive stone shower with rain head. The room cleaners were great, always coming around for turn down service in the evening, so our room was cleaned twice a day! The king bed was very comfortable, and if you need more blankets and sheets, you just call your Personal Concierge and they send them over no problem. Didn't have any issues with the A/C in the room, there's a dial to control your temperature, fan intensity, and an off switch as well. We were on the second floor, Adult block 2, room 2203, almost on the corner. We never heard any noise from people, just the carts that go by early in the morning around 6am, and/or early risers slamming their doors. My boyfriend woke up one night because someone ordered room service at 4am and the trolleys they use are VERY loud, bah. They could use some new wheels/WD40. Wished there were more English TV channels/variety, but I'm there to enjoy the Maya so it's not a big deal.

Food: Bad, just bad, BUT TAPAZ was great, and Spoon was great for breakfast due to the fresh variety, omelet stations, crepe/pancake stations, etc. Their ice cream was good, espresso was hit and miss for room service/the restaurants. My boyfriend is in the service industry so we eat out a lot at very nice restaurants in Toronto, and this food was just beyond sad. I've also been to other 5 star resorts where the food was great/awesome all around, but not here. Azul BEACH down the road served fantastic food, and this is where we went during the day for the beach lunch (we would walk over on the beach to swim in their ocean because the water was crystal clear and turquoise, and since they have the same towels and such, we would sit on the beach, swim, and eat their beach lunch because it was close to what we would eat in Toronto. DO this if you love the beach and good food! Just don't get caught :p). The beach bbq (daily thing) was almost the same thing every day except they would do a rice mix, pasta mix, etc, but I liked the options for fresh salad/veggies to compliment the burgers, ribs, and hot dogs. Enjoyed the bbq taste over the poor restaurants. Their rice mixes are awesome. LE CHIQUE was just scary, we were giggling the whole time and were scared to eat the food - it was so nasty by the way. We left before desert to get room service..ROOM service had some good options - soups were always good, breakfasts were okay. We enjoyed the Mojito lounge while waiting for a table at Tapaz (went there twice).

Pool/Swim up bar: Adult pool was great, NO sounds of kids nearby. If you want a cabana bed/lounge chair, you gotta be there around 6-7am to grab them and put your stuff down. Once I grabbed a cabana at 6:15 and there were only 2 left. Pool cleaners/staff exceptionally friendly. Drinks were good, but their only okay beer option was Sol so my boyfriend had to bare with that..too bad Corona is too expensive for many resorts in Mexico to carry. We hung out here all the time when we were not at Azul Beach/out and about. Some cabanas are in the shade all day so that's nice to escape to when you need a break from tanning :) Pool waiters were asking if we wanted a drink every 10 minutes or so, didn't expect tips or anything - GREAT service all around.

Beach: Sand is compressed full of stones and stuff, not very white, ugly water (except when it's wavy and windy). Just walk to your left, past the point/nudist resort, and swim at Azul Beach, OR do some excursions to Playa del Carman and other places to enjoy the water.

Grounds: very clean and well kept, tons of staff, always smiling and saying Hola! Loved it, we were treated like royalty. Recently there have been some issues in Mexico with Canadians getting hurt/killed, so my friends and family didn't want us going/said it was dangerous. WRONG all around. We did the Dolphin Discovery catamaran from Cancun to Isla something, then snorkeling and to dolphins. We went to some towns, hung out on a beach...not once were we asked about drugs, treated badly, etc. Tons of people at the resort took cabs from Sensatori into town/to beaches and said it was safe with no worries or concerns. Grounds over all were great.

Trips/Excursions: Dolphin Discovery (catamaran + snorkeling + dolphins in an ocean environment) was okay because the snorkeling was lame and they made us wait for 2 hours after the dolphin experience to take the catamaran back to Cancun. WAY too much waiting. Just do the Delphinus (40 mins away, in a pool environment so you won't get smacked around by waves, and there's WAY more interaction with the dolphins for 109.00 USD. We payed 189 and regret it. We are sailors so the catamaran was our favourite part. Wish I did the Delphinus...next time! Bonanza ranch was great and it's IN the El Dorado Royales' grounds. The horses are mostly rescued and very well cared for - not skinny and lethargic like in Jamaica and Dominican that I saw. I compete horses and was bummed out because it was mostly just walking, no trotting, and NOT allowed to gallop/canter on the beach because of the sea turtles and stuff. However, they allow you to gallop in their medium/large sized sand ring, which was awesome. I asked for a rowdy/difficult horse because I didn't want to just sit there walking the whole time with my horse just following the pack. Staff/guides are really good.
Heard from other guests that Xel-Ha is great, so maybe try that out. Just know that its from 7am to 7pm, so you spend a lot of time there. NOT for those who don't like waiting around for hours once you're done all the activities. Ps. - SUNWING reps at the resort don't know anything about the excursions, even when they call the people in front of you on their cell. They told us this and that fee were included, WRONG, told me I could gallop on a long stretch of beach...wrong..said our Dolphin Discovery was only a few hours, very wrong (didn't say we would be dropped off on Isla something for 2.5 hours before going to the dolphins! too much waiting). It's all selling features, so research the excursions on here before you go.
Pps. - Sensatori is further away from things, so expect to spend $$$ to get to places, but the Maya is great for escaping from Cancun crowds. Very peaceful in the Maya.

Value: We paid more because it was during my reading week for university, and I just checked now and the same room is about 1200 for this coming week. We only paid a few hundred more, however I would say this place is worth 1200-1300, max (due to the food quality and beach).

Activities: Um, NOT so included if you're into kayaking and other things. They didn't even have any sail boats like the other resorts. It's not much, but $3 USD to use the kayak, $10-50 USD to paint some porcelain figures..$25 USD for a nice steak and lobster dinner...$150 USD for Candle Light Beach dinner. El Dorado Royale's private beach dinner is $60 USD and you get lobster, amazing steak options, etc. Oh, and it's $50 USD more for lobster for your beach dinner at Sensatori, so make it $200 USD. There was no para sailing nearby..not much activity. Have to pay $$ to leave the resort. Would spend the $$ on better resort in the Maya to be honest, a bit closer to excursions places would be best/a resort that have more things included.

Overall, found it to be a nice trip because the staff were awesome and the grounds/room were great. Personal Concierge is there on call, ready to assist you with room needs, requests, etc.

Room Tip: ADULTS ONLY! It's also away from the DJ nights and loud events that they have in the evenings ne...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank EventingRocks
halifax
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2012

after seeing the sensatori in the travel agents i just knew that we had to go there for our honeymoon. the pictures on websites are true to life, although not cheap well worth it. we went for 2 weeks in August 2011. we were pleased to get off the plane in to a very warm mexico and a short transfer of approximatley 20 minutes. on arrival to the hotel we were greated with porter service and a glass of champagne. we were to told to ask at reception for an upgade if possible as we were honeymooners, we were offered a discount on the premium section but felt that the cost wasn't worth it. we were directed to our room where are baggage soon followed. the room was fabulous, very clean with a huge bed, jacuzzi, stocked mini bar, champagne on ice, great bathroom and shower, essential air conditioning and a comfortable balcony with sea view to the side. we were very tired and so went for a short explore and a bite to eat in the big buffet restraunt (spoons) and had an early night. for the rest of our honeymoon we visited all of the restraunts (mexican, italian,carribean, tapas and le chique) and tried a varity of different meals, all of which were fantastic. a visit to le chique is essential- different and thats all i'm saying. the food excelled my expectations, there was such a variety and in spoons there was something to suite every taste including children. room service was free of charge though a tip was always expected.
walking around the hotel it was always immaculate, and the staff were incredibley friendly, always greeting you, when you passed them. there were several pools are the hotel alway clean, one adults only, and two with swim up bars. there was poolside and beach waiter service also.
our room was cleaned daily with clean bedding and towels, and a turn down service leaving flowers ont he bed and creativley folded towels.
the wasnt much in walking distance of the hotel though there was plentiful activities within the hotel grounds. we would definatley return to sensatori mexico in the future as an anniversary holiday. it was an ideal place for couples to visit, the one and only downside to our time there was the americans who were very loud and were there in large groups (sometimes for weddings) and took over in the pools and were using foul language regularly, also talking to the mexicans as if they were second class, when in fact they were delightful to talk to and be around. definatley recommended for a honeymoon or romantic holiday.

Room Tip: try to get a room higher up if you want a quieter time also facing south to suth west for a nice sun...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Ocean Coral & Turquesa
Ocean Coral & Turquesa
#13 of 26 in Puerto Morelos
4.0 of 5 bubbles 10,398 reviews

Been to Azul Sensatori Hotel, by Karisma? Share your experiences!