“Good experience!”
Review of Ixchel Jungle Spa

Ixchel Jungle Spa
More attraction details
Owner description: Sandra's Jungle Spa is project for the local women of our community in Puerto Morelos. Our non profit organization provides the spaces and support for the local women to gather to creater an income to support thier families. They sell their hand made crafts and offer Mayan massage
Reviewed 5 April 2012

My husband friend and I went for a morning appointment. Our hotel called a taxi for us and he knew exactly where to go. Good thing cause you are truely in the jungle! Loved meeting Sandra and hearing the history.I had the gentle massage with aloe and banana wrap(thank you Dory) and felt wonderful when it was done. Beware when they find your stress points there is some pain(no pain no gain haha) My Husband discribed it as a drive by beating haha, but had to admit after 2 days the shoulder he had major pain in was feeling great! Our friend loved her "medium" massage, but she too had a day of recovery ha! We would go back in a heart beat! Highly recommended!Thank you Ladies!!! Great job!

Reviewed 1 April 2012

my boyfriend and i enjoyed our massages. he did the 1 1/2 hr massage and i did the 1 hr massage with chocolate scrub. He said it was the best massage he ever had - and he has traveled all over the world and had many massages.

3  Thank mimi723
Reviewed 1 April 2012

I had read about the Jungle Spa on Trip Advisor during a search of "things to do in Riviera Maya ". Both my wife and I were so excited to experience the real world charm of the Mayan women and their magical hands; but when we asked our hotel's personnel about the Jungle Spa, they acted as if they never heard of it. How could it be possible that the Number 1 rated activity on Trip Advisor was unknown to the workers at the Five Star Resort the Fairmont Mayakoba? Then it occurred to us that they had hopes we'd use the in-house spa at the resort. Finally, after pressing a bit, the concierge, Yuki, told us that she had heard a few guest raving about the place, but she was unable to recommend it as she had never been there before. So with map in hand from the website, and a few pullovers on the streets of Puerto Morelos, our cab driver found the Jungle Spa. The homemade signs on the dirt roads that lead to the ‘spa’ were emblematic of the warmth, and family-like feeling you got as the cab dropped us off in front of a few enclosed huts.
Sandra Dayton, a cheerful, loving woman from Toledo, Ohio called to us from inside the screened hut. We had made a reservation a day or so ago, and had received a confirm email from Sandra in ENGLISH that I could understand. By 10am there were eight people sitting around a simply decorated folding table. Sandra sat at the end, and greeted each guest with a smile and a hug. Most of us thought we were just in for a massage, but little did we know that Sandra would take about 20 minutes to give us a history of how the Jungle Spa came to be and what we might experience in each massage.
She told us to expect more of a 'healing experience' rather than a "spa-like" relaxing experience. Yet, in the end, we would feel fabulous. To use Sandra's words - "You'll experience a massage that runs the range from Heaven to Hell." We did. Honestly, you've got to experience it yourself to believe in what I’ll share. Sandra went through the range of costs for each type of massage. I simply asked for the very best they could offer. As such both my wife and I got a 2 hour massage (it actually went 2:15) for $100. That's right $100. Try beating THAT at your resort hotel.
What did it include? Read on and you'll see....
After asking us about any medical ailments or areas that we’d like them to work on, Sandra translated my situation to our chosen "healer," her name – EUCEBIA (pronounced – you-see-bee-ya). I explained that I’ve had several massages in the past, but was told by several therapists that I had very large knots in the four quadrants of my back, and that massage alone wouldn’t release them. At the Jungle Spa, they saw that as an exciting challenge.
EUCEBIA couldn't have been more than 5' 0". I am 6'0 and weigh 225lbs. She greeted me with a smile and guided me to a larger hut that housed (I think) 5 massage tables. Each was dividend by curtains to insure privacy, yet the screened in hut allowed for the sounds of nature to infiltrate the air. Mayan music played in the background, and a carefully positioned electric fan hung about 10 feet over my head to "keep the breeze blowing" throughout the experience.

After undressing and slipping under a white towel, I was told to lie on my back and the experience began. I was told that the Mayan women had a way of finding blockages and releasing them in ways unlike I had ever seen.
The massage was forceful, yet gentle. She worked on every inch of my body (except the privates). Yet, when she grabbed the back of my head and lifted it into her breast plate so that she could really get deep into my shoulders and neck, I knew I was in for a treat.
She massaged and pounded on my arms, worked the muscles in my chest and gently my belly and internal organs. That's right my belly. She even worked inside my belly button to apparently release a pulse that is normally blocked. She then worked down my legs and onto my feet.
Next, she flipped me on my side. Have you ever had a SIDE Massage? Curled in an almost fetal position, magic suddenly happened. You see, for more than 10 years, I have had numbness going down the side of my left leg from my hip to my knee. Over the years, I've had EMG's, visited with Neurologists, had MRI's and spent months at a time in physical therapy. I've spend $1000's of dollars to be told that the numbness would go away on its own or I'd simply have to live with it for the rest of my life.
EUCEBIA worked very hard on knots around my hips and legs. She pounded, yes I mean pounded with her hands clenched together. She pressed and prodded and then at one point she got atop the table and hovered over me, pressing down with all her weight. She used her knees, her elbows, heels. At the time I didn't realize what was happening, but later when I rose from the table, I realized that FEELING had been restored to my leg. I learned (through Sandra’s translation) that there were several blocked points throughout my body that she released throughout the session.
We flipped to the other side and I got a similar treatment. Then I went on my stomach.
OUCH. is the best way to describe the Beating I took. Eucebia kneaded, pounded, stretched and pulled on my limbs. She even, once again hopped on the table and grabbed a knotted towel that hung from a beam overhead. After she laid a thin towel on my back, she began walking and bouncing on my back shoulders and butt. All I heard were crackles running up and down my spine.
Soon she hopped of the table and began massaging the two large knots in just below my shoulders. I could see was getting frustrated that the knots wouldn’t release. In her broken English she said to me “You Hoolk”, I think she meant “You are Hulk” – referring to the muscular green action hero. To be truthful though, muscles would normally ever be a word to describe me.
Suddenly I feel weight on the table, as Eucebia stood in front of my head. While she worked on my shoulders another woman kneeled above me and began pounding and kneading my back. Yes, it hurt – but something started happening. Suddenly the women on my back grabbed hold of my wrists and pulled me up like a walrus. Eucebia pushed the front of my shoulder for an additional stretch. We did this three times; and I tried by best to hold in the scream but couldn’t resist when we got the last one.
That ended my massage, or so I thought.
As I lay on my stomach, I heard the squishing sounds of Aloe Leaves. The gel from the plant was smothered all over my back, arms, legs and butts by both women. Banana leaves were then draped over my whole body. I laid there for ten minutes while my skin absorbed the thick moisturizer. When the leaves were removed, only a few beads of Aloe remained. I then turned over and had the same treatment applied (with of course, the exception of my genitals). As they removed the banana leaves the second time, and I lay on my back looking up, I noticed that the women had rolled up a long white sheet. They stuck across my back – each of them holding on to one of the ends. They then criss-crossed the sheet and tugged as hard as they could; creating a bearhug-like feel across my upper back. They then worked the sheet downward about six inches and pulled again. They continued this until they got to the ends of my feet.
At that point, I was finished. I had no idea that 2 hours had flown by so quickly.
When I stood and began walking back to the hut to pay for my treatment; it was then that I realized I had resumed feeling in my leg, and my back felt more refreshed than ever before.
Today, I write to you two days following my massage. Yes, I’m still feeling a little sore; and there are even a few areas that feel a bit bruised – though there are no visible markings. I continue to have feeling in my legs. As I sit at my office computer I no longer get tingling in my upper back as I type. There is no discomfort in my lower back. And when anyone asks me about my trip to Mexico; all I can do is gush about my day at the Jungle Spa.
Thanks again. I hope to be back soon – and send you plenty of referrals.

Marc and Laura Freedman

8  Thank mfreedmancfp
Reviewed 31 March 2012

We have been to the Jungle Spa for the last three years and each year shows a vast improvement in services. These ladies are true professionals whose only concern is the welfare of the customer. They don’t watch the clock to make sure that you are out of the massage area on time, they will spend as much time as needed to treat your problem areas, On my last two visits I have had two or three ladies involved in the massage, as they are there to help each other out in providing the customer with a massage that they will never forget. They are true craftsmen and are committed to resolving the issues the customer has been experiencing. They will work together until they have it corrected. I highly recommend the four hands massage but six is a dream. The taxis are going to charge you 200 pesos for the trip from most local resorts, be sure to agree on a price before you leave. Sandra will call a taxi when you are ready to leave. Sandra is providing an excellent service for these Mayan Ladies and to customers who want to leave the resort area and experience a great massage in a tropical setting. These ladies are committed to providing a quality service at a reasonable price; there only advertisement is by word of mouth or local websites. Many resorts will not endorse them as it takes business away from their spa services, which in most cases is far more expensive. Remember that the ladies are local residents and take home the majority of the fees for their services. This isn’t a large resort chain but a local business.
Give it a try and pass the word about this little piece of heaven

1  Thank NeilsReady
Reviewed 28 March 2012

I loved that you are literally in the jungle while getting your message. The birds are signing, the breeze is blowing through the burlap...couldn't have been more relaxing. Definitely would recommend this spa.