“Dreams Riviera Family Wedding”

Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa
Ranked #11 of 28 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 6 March 2012

We just returned from a 5 day, 4 night stay at Dreams Riviera Cancun.

Pros- The overall cleanliness and decor of the resort was pristine. The food was typical all-inclusive fare with some different choices that were pretty tasty. The lowest category room was beautiful. The beach was okay but a lot of seaweed that it seemed they tried to clean with a big truck sweeper but it did not work. The staff was overall nice.

Cons- Well i think the biggest disappointment for us was the stealing that went on. We were a group of 30 people and they stole 1 of our family member's sweatshirts out of his room. The only reason we caught it was because another family member saw a staff person walking across the resort with the sweatshirt in his hand she remembered being another family member's...So she immediately went to the pool to tell him and he went back to the room and sure enough it was gone. He called down and they said they would look around. A day and 1/2 later they showed up with the sweatshirt apologizing that it was stolen. Then my husband had a silly hat that he was wearing around the resort (the mexicans were asking to buy it from him because they liked it so much) and the day of the wedding the wedding planner took all the shoes and hats of the wedding party and said she was going to put them down on the beach. Well, after the ceremony my husband looks for his flip flops and hat- the flip flops were there but no hat in sight. He called the front desk and the wedding planner returned and said yes someone stole it but she would try and get it... about an hour later it turned up and she said they thought it belonged to the activities crew. Later in the evening of the night of the wedding when it was dark- my aunt had to use the restroom near the pool- but it was kind of dark because the pool was closed. My aunt walked down and her husband just coincidently had to go to the bathroom (luckily) so he followed down shortly and as he walked down the stairs to the bathroom he caught a male mexican worker following her into the restroom!!! He turned and saw my uncle walking down the steps and quickly turned around and walked away fastly. SCARY!!!!!!
Then we started getting nervous about the security of the resort and our personal belongings so we kept the "DO NOT DISTURB" sign on the door all day figuring we did not need them to clean since we are barely in the room.. Well everyday we would come up from the pool and find they went in and cleaned anyhow and moved our personal belongings around! And took the do not disturb sign and put it back inside the door!

The service was EXTREMELY slow. I mean i know we are on vacation but it took forever to get a meal... and the wait to get into the restaurants was sometimes 2 hours +

A few members of the family were sick. Not sure what it was from but they were violently ill...

So, if you go to this resort please be on alert! For your own safety and the safety of your belongings.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank kath1424
GerenciaDRERC, Assistant General Manager at Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 9 March 2012

Dear TripAdvisor user,

First of all, let me thank you for choosing our beutiful resort for your family vacation.

Regarding your interesting review, please allow me apologize for the misunderstanding during your stay.

About the Lost & Found, believe me we are already working on it, so the belongings can be recovered. I am really sorry, the Resort has a policy for belongings with out supervision at the general areas, all of them are taken to the Lost & Found. About the situation of your room, I have already verifyed with the Housekeeper Manager, so they can be more than strict with the personal belongings.
I verifyed with weddings Manager and they are not going to allow that any coworker takes the guests belongings any longer.
About the housekeeper entering to the room with a non disturbing card outside, we are going to strengthen the compliance of your wishes.

Please on behalf of all Dreams Riviera Resor team, accept our sincere apollogies.

We are working with every department Managers to improve service, security & respect.

I hope you could give us a second oportunity for your next familiar holidays.

Regards,

Write a ReviewReviews (6,443)

Reviewed 6 March 2012

Would just like to start by saying that my family and myself thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Dreams Riviera. The hotel was everything it claimed to be and more.

Kiddi club was one of the best my kids have ever been to, and we are very well travelled. the staff at the kiddi club were absolutely amazing and deserve a medal for how they perform their duties.

The food was great and the staff were extremely polite and went out of their way to accommodate every request.

Entertainment in the evenings, for both childeren and adults,

For an all inclusive the food was more than satisfactory, the rooms were clean and there was a pool to accommodate all guests, two kiddi pools and an amazing infinity pool,

overall a excellent choice especially for families,

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank andyg1911
GerenciaDRERC, Manager Assistant at Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 9 March 2012

Dear TripAdvisor user,

We are very glad that you selected our property for your family vacation.

Thank you for your kind words, we sincerely appreciate your comments expressing your satisfaction with the quality of the service we provided.

We are looking forward to welcome you again at your second home.

Reviewed 5 March 2012

Just got back from a wonderful vacation at Dreams. Everything was very nice very clean.
The bad......Few minor complaints would be the tile on the pool bottoms was very rough and I sliced a pretty deep 2 inch gash on the bottom of my foot walking in kids pool. Additionally there are trip hazards every where, uneven sidewalk to grass transitions uneven planks in main boardwalks. A 2 inch door track to step over to go into jewelry store.
Sometimes drink service was a little slow at swim up bar but only when it was real busy....the poor guy was alone and running his butt off.......needed another bartender or two.....probably keeps us from getting way way too drunk. My suggestion would be take your own BIG mug and fill it once for everyone else's 3-4 times, worked for me....I stayed pleasantly lubricated throughout the day.
THE GREAT.....The wait staff was fantastic! Iran in Seaside cafe & Portofinos was as fun as he was helpful & attentive. Rudy in World cafe was the best he recognized the members of our large group and remembered what many of us wanted to drink. We had so much fun with him we made him an honorary member of our family.
Beach chairs were in fact tough to come by but I was up every day at 5:30 for sunrise at the beach and only saw a few people "saving" chairs. I rarely wanted a chair but if you really want one it can be found even at noon poolside.
SUPER BUMMER I lost my ipod touch on Tuesday February 28 by the infinity pool, If I am lucky and the finder is reading this send me an e-mail zimmybuffett@gmail.com nice reward

Room Tip: Wouldn't get plunge pool because you cannot see the ocean from most of them. Want a better view...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank zimmybuffett2

Dear TripAdvisor user,

Thank you for your feedback, we sincerely appreciate your comments expressing your satisfactions and dissatisfaction with the quality of the service you received as a guest of the Dreams Riviera Cancun.

Your kind words help all of us at Dreams Riviera Cancun Hotel and Resorts to work harder to make all your stays with us as enjoyable and pleasant as possible. It is our endeavor to consistently strive to maintain the highest levels of quality and service upon which we have built our fine renowned reputation.

Rest assured that I will share your review with our dedicated staff for them to know that you have recognized their efforts.

Again, thank you for your kind words.

We look forward to welcome you again,

Reviewed 5 March 2012

We stayed here and I have never seen so many screaming kids in my life. I have nothing against children but I am on vacation and I don't want to hear that much noise all day and night. Also I was on the bottom floor and everytime someone flushed the toilet you could hear it all night and right outside our door was an open sewer drain that was very noisey and smelled terrible. I was in the prefered section. The rooms were excellent with a great view. The restrurants had very good food and the prefered lounge had all of the good sprits. I probably won't return to this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends

Dear TripAdvisor user,

Again, thank you for your kind words.

Best regards,

Reviewed 4 March 2012

I ended up at this resort since I took the Now Sapphire up on their offer if I agreed to move to the Dreams resort for 2 nights I would get 3 nights free to use in the next year! It seems Now Sapphire got overbooked due to large groups. I am glad I took them up on it! I got a free room upgrade which included my own swimming pool just outside my back door and also a Jacuzzi tub inside. The room was great overall. And the room bar was included. Much more open than Now Sapphire but still a great resort. My food experience here was excellent. I ate at the Oceania restaurant last night and the food compared to a high end restaurant backhome,Washington DC.I stayed March1-4.

Stayed: March 2012
2  Thank thedude814

Reviewed 3 March 2012

I have just spent 9 nights at this hotel 20th Feb to the 29th Feb. With my husband, 3 year old son, and extended family.

We were shown to our room which was 1437 fairly near to the lobby. We were lucky enough to be upgraded to a sea view room. The rooms are very nice. Large with a lot of space. We had a balcony, however if the people in the room next door, were on their balcony, there is not any privacy.
There was not a bed for my son when we arrived, so I called reception and they said they would put a roll away bed in the room for us. We went for a walk and when we got back it was there. Very good service.

The hotel grounds are lovely, kept very clean and tidy. The only thing we did not like were the rocks which played music!

The pool area is nice, there are three pools to choose from. The children’s pool, the infinity pool with a swim up bar and another pool which had an inflatable rock which children could play on. The children’s pool is large. My son enjoyed many an hour playing in there! There are cabanas around the pool area, which are a nice touch.

We enjoyed the restaurants. Breakfast was fantastic in the world cafe. It seemed very busy at the weekends but during the week it was much quitter. We also had some very nice lunches at this restaurant, You could get anything here from a salad, pasta or fish to traditional Mexican food.
We ate at the Seaside Grill for both lunch and dinner and it was very good and it was nice to eat out side. Lunch times you could get a sandwich or burger with fries. In the evening you could get a tuna steak or surf and turf.
We had a meal at the Himitsu which we were all a little disappointed with as none of the meals had any spice in them.
We had a couple of meals at the El Patio, again both very good.
My parents baby sat for us one night so we could go to the Bordeaux restaurant, unfortunately we were disappointed with our meal here. We felt that it was quite over rated.
We all felt that by far the best restaurant was the Italian Portofino, we had two very good meals here, the restaurant manager came and spoke to us after our meal which we thought was a nice touch

The beach was lovely, you got a nice breeze on the beach. The white sand is so soft. I only swam in the sea a couple of times, as there was lot of seaweed! However the hotel do their best to clear it from the beach.

We all had a treatment while staying at the hotel. The spa is wonderful. When you have a treatment you can spend as long as you like in the spa. There are nice loungers, 3 different hydrotherapy pools, a steam room and a sauna.

I did find this hotel noisy at night. Our room was near to the lobby and every night we could hear the music. It did stop by 2300, but you could still hear people shouting and moving around the hotel. We did not ask to move as I do not think it would have been quieter anywhere else. If you were closer to the beach and pool areas, then you would get the noise from a wedding party or a function around the pool. Again this did stop around 2300, however it was the noise of people moving around the hotel late at night which woke us up. The weekends were the worse for this as this seemed to be the times when most weddings were held.
I would also recommend that you ask for a room on the top floor. All you could here were the people above me moving around. Every time they moved a chair in their room or on the balcony you could hear it. Very annoying!

If you want a quiet time away I would not recommend this hotel especially Thursday to Monday, when big groups came in for weddings.

My Mother took my son to the zoo which is on the main road as you turn down to the hotel. They had an excellent time and would really recommend it. You have a guide who takes you around and you can feed all the animal’s which have been rescued from around the area.

Unfortunately I had to visit the doctor while I was at the hotel. I just want to say that she was wonderful.

Overall we did have a good time

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank packyourbags21

Dear TripAdvisor user,

We are very glad that you selected our property for your family holiday.

We are looking forward to welcome you again at your second home.

Reviewed 2 March 2012

First of all this is not my first trip to a Dreams Resort. We have stayed at Dreams Puerto Vallarta the previous two years in a row. We have been accustomed to excellent service, great food (for an all-inclusive resort), and staff that will bend over backwards to please their guests. The Dreams Riviera was a disappointment in terms of their service and attitude. We upgraded before arrival to the Preferred Club to get the room upgrade and to have access to the Preferred Club ammenities.

First the good - the resort was very nice in terms of age, appearance, and the way it was taken care of. The selection of restaurants was also more than adequate based on an all-inclusive resort. The rooms were also very nice, kept very clean by the housekeeping staff and the fridge was stocked daily. They also do a turn down daily to tidy the room and leave a bottle of water and chocolate on the pillow. There was never a shortage of food or drinks as long as you knew where to look. There was always a restaurant open somewhere, or a bar that was serving drinks. If you didn't want to leave your room you could always order room service, it was usually pretty quick to get it to the room.

Now for the bad - as I stated previously we upgraded to the Preferred Club for the room upgrade and the use of the Preferred Club area which included internet, snacks, and a private bar. On our first trip to this area we went mid-day after being around the pool all day. We were not dressed up, but also not dressed inappropriately, bathing suits, shirts and sandals. Upon our arrival we took a seat and ordered a drink. At first they were very pleasant until the supervisor on duty sent over a waitress who said we were dressed inappropriately and asked us for our room numbers. We gave them then she went back over and told this info to the supervisor. Again she returned questioning us as to if we were part of the Preferred Club. After again telling her we upgraded before arrival she said the supervisor (Rafael) did not think we belonged. We told her that we felt unwelcome and just left. This was not a deal breaker for us, just kind of laughed it off and went back to the pool. We decided we would again try the Preferred Club two days later and as soon as we walked in the same waitress and Rafael immediately asked us for our room numbers and wanted proof of who we were, again stating that they questioned whether we belonged. I confronted Rafael and he was quite rude stating that "the Preferred Club is for Preferred Club guests only" and we were taking advantage of it. I again explained that we upgraded and paid extra to use this "extra benefit" of the resort. He was so rude to our group of four that we left this area again. I don't know if he got us mixed up with another group of guests but the way we were treated at this resort was of such poor character that we don't know whether we will ever visit a Dreams chain again. Such a sad statement to make considering how well we liked Dreams Puerto Vallarta.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
5  Thank M M

Dear Trip Advisor User,

Thank you for your feedback, we sincerely appreciate your email expressing your satisfactions and dissatisfaction with the quality of the service you received as a guest of the Dreams Riviera Cancun. It is our endeavor to consistently strive to maintain the highest levels of quality and service upon which we have built our fine renowned reputation.

We would like to let you know that the necessary changes in our operational procedures have been made which will help us minimize these kinds of issues in the future.

It is important to mention that we do not invite guests to leave the Preferred Club launge, when they are not part of the Preferred Club Premium rooms and suites we kindly remind them that only the guest that are staying in a Preferred Club Premium room or suites are entitle to use the Preferred Club launge. If the guest that are part of the Preferred Club are not properly dress, we kindly remind them that the launge has a dress code.
Also, we are aware of the tremendous responsibility to offer impeccable food and beverage products to our valued customers and have elaborated and respect extremely strict hygiene standards and procedures. Convinced we are that you understand that taking the food out of the Preferred Club launge is not part of our Safety and Hygiene standards.

We are making internal changes in our personnel to make sure that we do not have another negative experience with the services we provide. As it is only through comments from our mutual clients that we are able to improve in the respective areas of the Hotel.

Sincerely yours,

Grand Residences Riviera Cancun
#1 of 28 in Puerto Morelos
31.9 km away
Dreams Sands Cancun Resort & Spa

Been to Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!