“Great holiday”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Bray, Ireland
“Great holiday”
Reviewed 9 April 2012

We stayed at this hotel for our honeymoon for 12 days. Hotel is clean and kept very well. Staff are very friendly. All of the restaurants serve great food exempt the ones next to the main swimming pool ( cold and horrible ). For the restaurants the best ones will be French and Asian. Rooms are clean and well equipped. The downsides are the seaweed on the beach and that people leave their stuff on the sun loungers so nobody else can use them so it is very hard sometimes to find a spot on the beach or next to the pool. Overall the hotel is great and we had a nice time in Mexico ;)

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MarlenkaZ

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,682)
  • Polish first
New Jersey
Reviewed 8 April 2012

Just returned from Dreams Riviera Cancun. We have been to two other Dreams Resorts and this one did not disappoint. It was spring break so yes, it was crowded. But I would rather it be crowded than so empty that it's almost boring - which happened on one of our Dreams vacations! You did have to go and reserve a chair at the pool early or you wouldn't have one. They did discourage it and I did see them move stuff off of chairs that were "reserved" for hours with no one using them! It's really the people staying at the resort that cause the problem, not the hotel, people even hoarded rafts by their seats as if they owned them - which they did not - again I saw resort workers taking them and putting back in the pool. The restaurants were all nice, the no reservations thing is great. First time we tried Bourdeax (adults only) and it was excellent. We did Oceana for breakfast which was never crowded compared to the buffet and the view is much better anyway. The buffet breakfast "dress code" was a little annoying. I can understand dinner but breakfast?? Men couldn't wear sleeveless shirts (and I don't necessarily mean tank tops) but the women could sit there in a bikini top - kind of ridiculous. Kids Club was great even with the 30+ kids they had at any given time. Service was excellent for the most part. We never felt hounded about the timeshare thing. We were asked once to attend the meeting and that's all (we did not attend). Rooms are nicely laid out. We had a plunge pool room with a garden view - we could see the ocean anyway. The plunge pool is a neat idea although we were on the shaded side so it was somewhat chilly most of the time but my kids didn't seem to mind! For the most part the Dreams resorts are great. I don't understand the negative reviews, I believe some people will never be happy.

5 Thank QuadrupleD
Vancouver Island
Reviewed 8 April 2012

Our first time in Mexico was a good experience
to summarize:
1. Airport transfer and check in: Efficient
2. Room: Very nice, clean
3. Resort: Clean, efficient, great entertainment, good restaurants, very friendly staff. The decor is beautiful, The lobby is very elegant. Particular mention must be made of the Mexican restaurant El Patio which we loved!
4. The beach: Combed everyday therefore mostly clear of grass/seaweed. I see some people aren't happy with the beach, but I can honestly say that it is white, sandy and mostly free of seaweed. As beaches go, we have been to many around the world and the beach at Dreams is amongst the best we have seen
5. Pools: clean, and several of them, great swim up bar
6. Staff: We travelled with a small child . All of the staff were very professional and treated us very well. We have been to several tropical locations around the world and I feel that the staff in Mexico at this resort were wonderful!

Some issues:
1. Despite the hotel having an official policy against it, people still booked chairs and loungers at the pool as early as 6am and then never used them. On our first day at the pool we did not have a lounger. The resort occasionally sends staff to clear towels/ bags , some people were visibly irate about this. I'm not sure what the solution is for this ?
2. Tours: If you are travelling with a small child, remember that tour companies will often estimate the travel time to places based on the actual distance between departure point and destination. Thus we were told that a trip to Tulum would take 45 minutes. The companies don't tell people that if there are multiple hotel pick ups along the way, the travel time increases. As a result of this our 45 minute drive to Tulum turned out to be 2 hours and our son was sick in the van. This isn't the hotels problem, just a tip for first timers to Mexico who may want to try some tours with their children
3. Playa Del Carmen: forty blocks of rubbish tourist stuff , we were a bit dissapointed. Porto Morelos is more relaxed
4. If walking to Porto Morelos along the beach, take note that there is a nudist beach just south of the hotel.
5. WIFI/ internet- we were promised free wifi access, yet this isn't the case. WIFI is 10USD per day to access which is very expensive

All in all, we would stay here again. We were happy with the resort and found it good value for money

Room Tip: Rooms closer to the pool can be noisy at night if there are weddings
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank kjfmartin
Boonton, New Jersey
Reviewed 5 April 2012

Being Mexican living abroad, it is always a treat to be able to visit my country on a yearly basis. There are two things we take into account when we travel there: service and food. Unfortunately, this time I wasn't satisfied with neither the food and or service from this high scale hotel. Let me begin with the check in. We travelled with our two kids - 3 and 5, and whomever had travelled with kids that age, know how exhausting that can be. We had to wait for our room so we were approached by this gentleman who invited us to a breakfast or lunch so that someone could talk to us about the resort and a program they had. The chat was supposed to be for 90 minutes. My husband nahively accepted and I just have to say that it was the worst experience. The woman Athenea, took like 2 hours of our vacation time, wanting to sell us this ridiculously expensive vacation program which had no sense whatsoever, and we ended up leaving her talking on her own because she wouldn't take no for an answer. So that's how we started our vacation. Then the food. If you want to have an authentic Mexican breakfast, don't go to this place. Even the bacon was barely cooked and so greasy that my kids didn't even want to taste it. The chilaquiles were a couple of old tortillas with no sauce and the eggs... the Mexican eggs which should have jalapenos, onions and tomatoes (green, white and red like our flag) just had a couple of onion pieces and a tomato if you are lucky. My son loves his chicken nuggets... well it was a nightmare to get chicken nuggets, not even breaded chicken was available. And when there were some, they were made of minced chicken. I really think they used the left overs and the carcas of the chicken, put it in a food processor and fried those things. NASTY!!!!. The snack bar ourside of the pool only had deep fried options. I had to beg for a piece of fruit because there was absolutely no healthy options over there. The service was sooooo sloooooooowwwww. And this place really played the waiting game. If you wanted to have breakfast in the mediocre World Cafe restaurant, you had to wait in line for at least 10 minutes. The odd thing is that there were like 30 tables empty... ridiculous. Then the setting of the buffet was in one extreme of the restaurant so if you had two kids and you were put in the other extreme, the breakfast experience could have been very stressful. They also have a highly mediocre Asian restaurant with two hibachi tables. In order to be able to get one, you have to go to the restaurant at 5 p.m. and make your reservation, The problem is that even if you got there at 4;30, there was already a line of people waiting. I found that frankly annoying because we had to spend 30 minutes doing nothing in order to get a table. The food at the end was not worth it. There are two restaurants that were worth the stay "El Patio" with excellent food and service (unfortunately the menu was really small so if you go for 8 days or more, then you run out of options pretty quickly), The Baurdeaoux (sp?) a French restaurant with outstanding bread and food (the bread was sooo good, that I just had to eat more and more). The only thing is tht there are no kids allowed so if you have children that are not willing to go to the Kids' club, then you won't be able to enjoy this restaurant. The Italian restaurant Porto Fino was a fiasco. Everything was so salty and the bread was stale.
Having said all these pretty unflattering things I have to say that there were four things that helped the raiting to be Average instead of poor.

1) IF you complained (voiced your complain to someone from the staff) two or maybe more people would approach you seconds after and ensure that the complain is fixed and you get what you wanted. The thing is that you had to complain. I must say that there was one guy David Huerta, who really did everything he could to make things better for me. He actually had a chef make chicken nuggets for my son. That was super nice of him. Too bad the nuggets were nasty... still my son had them. I really appreciate all his efforts and everything he did to make things better

2) The aqua aerobics were awesome!!!! the guys from the activity group were outstanding, super friendly and nice. I had a great time watching everything they did. Shows were outstanding.

3) The kids' club. What a nice experience. They open from 9:30 to 9:00 p.m. They have activities for kids all day. Parents get a beeper in case the kids need anything. They are highly trained women who speak perfect English and French. They all know CPR and are very nice with the kids. The place is so secured that I had no issues leaving my 3 and 5 year olds there. They loved it and had a blast. Parents are allowed to check out the facility from 9 - 9:30 a.m. After that no one else but the kids and the women in charge were allowed inside the facility. No men were allowed and kids were always under constant supervision.

4) The check out was surprisingly smooth. They have a courtesy room for you to shower if your flight leaves later in the evening and you need to stay in the hotel after check out.
Just make sure you sign your name in the list as early as possible. Otherwise you won't be able to shower before you leave.

One thing about the room -- -super small and the layout terrible. However, if you are willing to pay 50 dollars extra a night, they will give you a better room.

I am not sure if we will go back to this place. The kids club will definitely play a role on a future decision. If another restaurant with better food and service match the security and quality of this feature, we would pick that over this no problem.

Room Tip: Rooms are small there is absolutely no space for your clothes. No dresser. Only a couple of shelves...
3 Thank Michelle M
Plymouth, Massachusetts
Reviewed 4 April 2012

I've been to Mexico 5 times so obviously I love it and keep coming back for a reason. I’ve also been on a few Caribbean cruises, been to Aruba, all around the US, but the only other AI not in Mexico I’ve been to is Breezes Runaway Bay in Jamaica (which I give a big thumbs down). Side note: This review was actually for my visit at the end of April/beginning of May 2010.
As a fellow review reader addict, one thing I find really helpful is to know where else that traveler has been. Everyone has such different standards of quality when it comes to food, service, entertainment, etc. so it helps for comparison purposes. The first time I stayed at the Iberostar Lindo, RIU Playacar, Secrets Capri, Secrets Maroma and now DRC.
I've been meaning to write this review for quite some time now but just haven't had the time until now (so forgive me if I'm not quite as detailed as I should be).
I flew out of Logan by myself on JetBlue (my favorite airline) and headed to Cancun, MX for a destination wedding. Erin (the beautiful bride), Sherri and I all went to college together so we were all super excited to finally have a vacation together in a tropical paradise. The flight was uneventful (which is a good thing) and having been to MX quite a few times before, customs was a breeze as well. I also knew not to be swayed into anyone else 'offering' their help to me, other than the people providing my transfer.
A quick 15 minute ride and I arrived at Dreams. I was pretty positive that Erin would be there to greet me, probably with 5 shots of tequila lined up for my arrival (we partied a bit in college ;)
Sure enough she was there to greet me but rather than shots of tequila she had a big surprise for me!! She just found out she was pregnant!! Definitely awesome news, she's actually due to have a girl next month! I can't wait! And I'll admit I was a tad disappointed seeing we wouldn't be reliving our college days or the tropical partying vacation we all thought we were going to have, but still so elated that my girl was on her way to being a mommy!
I had been in the process of communicating with the Dreams Room Division Manager Valter Espinoza (WONDERFUL MAN!!) quite a few times before I left. I explained to him that I previously had been to the Dreams sister resorts – Secrets Maroma and Secrets Capri (both fabulous resorts as well; I'm thinking AMResorts just know how to run AI's b/c I haven't been disappointed in one yet!). I was so excited when I finally met him to thank him for the wonderful service, expedient responses and of course the gorgeous room!!
Anyway, I won’t repeat everything that everyone’s already said. The food was amazing, definitely tops any other All Inclusive I have ever been to in this category, as well as many others! The drinks were all top shelf; you want Don Julio Tequila all you have to do is ask for it! The service was incredible, always someone going that extra mile to get you what you need. It kills me that some people just don’t ask for what they want, but then they complain they didn’t get it!! Hello, speak up people!
We all just had such a great time, the weather was gorgeous, entertainment could’ve been a tad better but we still had a blast with the entertainment in the lobby (and oh what a lobby it is!!) and of course the sports bar/dancing club. I absolutely loved the Coco Café, being able to get an iced latte or a small snack at any time of the day was great! My favorite bar had to be the Beach bar with the swings, OMG, what a great idea and location!!
I know the beach isn’t as super top notch but it’s still freaking gorgeous…but if you don’t like that then go to the pool. If you’re thinking about booking it, just go and do it!! You will have a great time!! Tell everyone Michelle says hi!!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank shellzbellz911
Denver, Colorado

Hi Folks,
We just got back from Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort and Spa. We booked 2 rooms and we were travelling with 3 kids. When we arrived the rooms we reserved were not available (that is until we foolishly agreed to a $150/night upgrade!!) Even then, our room and our kids' room were a mile apart. Totally unacceptable for a family hotel. Check in took 1.5 hours --after a long day of travel. Then the staff tried to trick us into a 90 minute time share presentation --using different words. Guests should know that the water at the beach is mostly covered with seaweed. Rooms are poorly soundproofed so any hallway noise is significantly amplified in the room. We have found friendlier staffs at other resorts, but food was good. I would pass.

Room Tip: I would confirm 100 times ahead of time to try to get what you think you are getting
3 Thank 875Alex
Armonk, New York
Reviewed 4 April 2012

I should begin by saying, that this is a beautiful, well-kept resort. We were in a preferred room. It was ocean view, with a large jacuzzi on the deck. My kids loved it! Tons of space and very clean and new. Having the preferred check-in meant nothing, as there was only one person checking in and it was slow as molasses. The kids club was really nothing more than babysitting with activities. My kids (3 and 5) didn't want to go back after the first day. The activities by the pool were great--we loved the entertainment team. Especially Jeshua. The circus by the pool was fantastic. The one area that really needed work was the food. Other than the mexican bbq and burgers/hotdogs/fries, the food stunk. The Japanese restaurant bordered on inedible. As a whole, we had a great time, but just make sure you know about the food going into it.

1 Thank Shari M
Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun
#38 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
31.6 km away
Paradisus by Melia Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus by Melia Playa Del Car...
#31 of 209 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!