Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun
US$553
US$335
US$318
Bookit.com
Now Jade Riviera Cancun(Puerto Morelos)
US$263
Cancelon
US$541
Cancelon
8,322 results
All reviewsbluewater grillthe blue water grillmarket cafepreferred clubpreferred poollemongrass restaurantentertainment teamlobby barmain pooltropical viewfrench restaurantbali bedspreferred statuspreferred guestocean frontjuan carlosother resorts
Reviewed April 5, 2012

We just returned from Now Sapphire March 25th -March 31st, My husband and I were traveling alone and a good friend flew in to meet us at the resort. We were greeted with a cold facecloth and tasty drink at the entrance, nice! Our room wasn't ready but we were expecting to have to wait as we arrived in the morning. We had some drinks by the pool and were in our room by 2pm. Our room was a beautiful gardenview (we didn't do prefered), completely surprised by the turndown service every night but loved it. You are given a sheet every day with all the info you need regarding discounts at the spa and entertainment etc... very helpful!
The hotel is beautiful, the staff are so friendly and totally make this resort,
we had drinks served to us by the pool no matter where we sat including in the pool awesome! We loved the food and our favorite was dinner at the grill on our last evening amazing steak!
We made great use of the room service and used it almost daily wonderful service. Fridge was stocked daily and clean towels every day. The entertainment was very good and amazing dancers.
Beach was nice but we didn't spend much time there as there are very few shades.
Our only complaint is the towel game, my husband was up at 6am everyday and we had seats under a grass shade only once.(our stuff was moved when we came back from breakfast, nobody in the seats but our stuff moved out in the sun and their stuff on the chairs.)
A little far to do any excursions, but we planned to stay a the resort so this wasn't a problem.Overall an excellent time and would go back in a heartbeat! If you go say, Hi to Juan Carlos from the rubber chicken!! He was awesome.

Room Tip: We were in 831 loved it!
5  Thank mbrewster
NowSapphireRC, Social Media at Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2012

Dear Sir / Madam,

On behalf of the Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun, we wish to thank you for taking the time for sharing your gracious comments about your stay with us. We share the feedback with the operations staff.

We look forward to welcome you again to the Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun.

With kind regards,

Reviewed April 4, 2012

We spent the majority of our time in a Bali Bed at the Adults Only pool, so continue with that in mind.

• Buffet - Italian night pasta bar was good. Lunch mediocre. Was surprised they would also close this twice a week
• Fresco - Went twice. Not busy both times, but I figure most people didn't know it was there. It is kind of tucked behind the Buffet. Food was good.
• Cibu - Good Filet.
• Lemongrass - Didn't Eat here. There was too long of a wait (but tried to visit on a night when the buffet was closed)
• Paramour - Didn't try to eat here.
• Blue Water Grill - Favorite restaurant. Great American Foods. Steak, Pork Chops, onion rings, calamari. Delicious and right on the water. If you want to sit next to the ocean, make sure to tell the hostess. They didn't seat us there unless we requested it.
• Deserts - Generally lacking. Could really use an Ice Cream Bar.
• Room service - Took about an hour. Requested Eggs over easy and they were very hard
• Cocos - very good frozen lattes.

Steaks were not top choice. They weren't bad, but not the best I've ever had.

Dress Code is annoying. Not because there is one, but because it is hard to find out what it is before you go. I found several different descriptions from Now Staffers and Brochures about what was okay and what was not okay. Discard the term Casual Elegance from your lexicon, Now. Tell people they can wear shorts & sandals at all restaurants, except Paramour.

We didn't have a problem getting into any of the restaurants on nights when the buffet was opened. We dined around 6:30 each night. If you don't want to wait, eat early.

Room
Beds were nice.

More english speaking tv channels would be nice.

Power Management was very annoying. I understand the desire to save on energy costs in a resort this size. Now does this by turning off the lights when there is no movement in your room. A motion sensor turns everything back on when you return. The problem is that they also turn off the outlets and ceiling fan. So if you have an electronic device recharging, it may or may not be recharging while you are out.
The room gets stuffy without the ceiling fan.

Plan on waking up with the local birds each morning. You can fall back asleep if you are lucky, but they are certainly loud.

Mini-Bar sodas were great. The bottle opener is in the bathroom.

Preferred Club
Bali beds are tremendous. Service at the adults only pool was top notch.

Wifi at the pool at the pool would have been very nice.

My wife liked the preferred lounge a lot.

I read other reviews about the mad-dash at 7 AM to grab lounge chairs at the main pool. While there are signs that say you can't reserve chairs, no one seems to enforce this. If you don't want this hassle and want to know that a lounger/bed has been reserved for you, upgrade to preferred.

I'm surprised there is not a pool open after five pm.

Beach
We aren't beach people. There is sea-grass that washes up, but walking up and down is not hampered by this. They seemed to stay on top of it. Seemed to be a foot or two of seagrass at the ocean's edge.

Facilities
We requested based on other reviews a tropical room in building 1, 2 or 3. They put us in Building 5. It was frustrating to have to switch rooms to a closer building on the second day. And even then it was only building 4.

While this seems like a small deal and you can definitely walk the extra 50 yards or so to get to each next building. Having a closer building is just more convenient. Insist on being in the building you want to be in.

Activities/Entertainment
My wife liked the work out groups. She did Pilates, Yoga and Zumba and enjoyed them. Anna was terrific.
The evening entertainment was hit or miss. Mostly miss. And other than boozing myself into a lather, there was not much else going on.

Transfers
We used CancunShuttle.com. Would highly recommend booking your transfer before you arrive so you can ignore the gauntlet of taxi/transfer vendors at the airport exit.

Coupons
We were offered the bonus coupons when we checked in. We declined. We got several messages/calls in our room requesting we come back to the preferred lounge to get our coupons from whoever it was that was offering them. Just ignore these and save your time. Don't pick up the coupons.

8  Thank mark w
Reviewed April 4, 2012

We just returned from NS and we had a wonderful time. Here is a run-down, sorry if it's too long.

Airport/Check in: We only waited about 10 minutes after getting off the plane to get into our shuttle. NS is only 15 minutes from the airport, yay! We were the first to be dropped off which was great considering we had a really long drive to the Barcelo property last year. Check in took just a few minutes and they gave us scented towels and drinks (we love this!). We upgraded and got a really good deal by asking for it. I find this is better than booking it ahead. They are willing to negotiate with you. We did not like the sales pitch once we got into the "special" lounge. We didn't want to be anywhere at any time so we declined the breakfast/dinner that was offered and the guy wasn't happy with us. Oh well - it's our vacation. When people upgrade and they just got off a long flight, let them go! We are tired and hungry and want to get on the beach. :)

Room: Since we upgraded, we had bottom floor, ocean view, building 1. The room was big, clean, bright and never saw any bugs. We had great cleaning service. We tip them everyday (they work hard! ) so that probably helps. We asked for an extra pad on the bed and additional pillows and they were delivered promptly. We also asked for additional soda and water and they were also delivered right away. We didn't use room service so can't speak about that.

Food: Probably the best food and restaurants for us so far and we've stayed at several of these resorts. You aren't going to get the same service and food as you do in the states so relax people! But all the restaurants and buffets were delicious and neither of us got sick, which is good since that has happened before at other places. I like that they have hand gel everywhere; it helps.

Beach/pool: Because we upgraded, we had access to the private pool. We used it once each day but not enough because we're beach people. We didn't use the main pool at all or the kid pool. The beach was fantastic, way less rocky than other places we've stayed. The water was clear and pretty and no jelly fish. Can anyone tell me why you all go to a place like that and never get into the water? I'll never understand that. The beach/pool chair situation is ridiculous! I'm up early, drinking coffee at 6 am on my balcony and people are already out there, saving chairs! What's the deal? Something needs to change about that on both sides - the resort needs to manage it better and people need to STOP saving chairs that you are not using. Luckily, because of the upgrade, Ivan had our spot ready and waiting each day. Totally worth it to us!

Bar service: GREAT! Cesar is the MAN! We never had trouble getting drinks and they were made well. We are also big tippers so that probably helps. If people are complaining, try bringing some cash with you and don't be so cheap! These people work hard. We miss you Cesar and your yummy drinks!

We didn't have any trouble with spring breakers but then again, we were on the beach and not at the main pool. And none were staying in our building.

Overall, we really enjoyed this property. I think the biggest thing people should remember is that you need to relax. It's not the states, things move slower here and they made every effort to make our stay wonderful. If you go down with the wrong attitude, that is the kind of service you will get. Relax people! Thanks Now Sapphire!

Note to our friends from Canada (Darryl, Dan and the Debbies) and Michigan (forgot your names!) loved meeting you all! Hope you had safe flights back!

6  Thank Love2travel_495
Reviewed April 3, 2012

We stayed last week of March and were very happy with the choice. The property was beautiful, the grounds well maintained and the beach was very nice. We understood that spring breakers were not allowed without adult supervision. Well, adult supervision is lacking as there were many young adults drinking during the day at the pool bar and the noise was a little more than we would have liked during a vacation stay at a nice resort. There was also a business group that was very loud around the pool for several days. The rooms and property I thought were very clean. I never saw a bug the whole week I was on the property! The food was very good. There are 5 restaurants and was happy that one did not allow children. It provided a place for adults to enjoy a quiet dinner. My favorite was the Asian restaurant; food very good both ala carte and the hibachi. Only complaint is that there is quite a wait for the hibachi style sitting and the wait staff in the restaurant were somewhat slower than I would have liked. The cons of this property...wifi is not included and is quite expensive, I had to get up at 5:45 am everyday to find beach or pool lounge chairs of my liking! Not my idea of a vacation getting up early every day. I think the staff needs to monitor either with reservations for chairs and tables. We took in several spa services and I will say at the beginning of the week the service was better than the end of the week. Be sure to time the staff; I had a 50 minute facial that was only 40 minutes! Not sure I really got my money worth. The massage and body wrap were excellent! The spa also allows you to come in an hour earlier to enjoy hydra therapy, the sauna or steamroom and the whirlpool and jacuzzi. It was a great experience!

Room Tip: Buildings 1-5 are on the beach, other buildings are inside the property and a farther walk to pool and beach. We stayed in bldg. 3, room 314 and we had a view of the beach from the front door and balcony view was of the garden (if you peeked over the side of the balcony) you could see the sunrise and beach! Very nice and we did not upgrade.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank fernsandflowers

Dear Sir / Madam,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and we appreciate your sharing your feedback on Tripadvisor. We will use your comments to continue improving as we do with all feedback shared by our guests.

We are very pleased to learn you enjoyed your stay with us. We certainly look forward to welcoming you back and hope to exceed your expectations.

Cordially yours

Reviewed April 2, 2012

Just came back from Now Sapphire.
Well, what can i say. Overall it was a good vacation.
I spent a lot of time planning what resort to go to.
Beach was nice. Water wasn't as clear as i would like it to be, but it was a nice, soft sand and you can take long walk along. Pool was big, not too much going on there.
I was hoping to have more activities for my 8 year old, but except the kids club, which seemed for smaller children, was nothing. Pool bar and other bars were good, service overall was good as well. We upgraded to the prefered. Otherwise, good luck getting beach and pool chairs. By 7:00am they were all taken. Which to me was rediculous.
Also, what i hated was a lot of teenagers. And it was too noicy and I was waking up at night from there screems. Which at other resorts i never experienced. No reservation policy to the restaurants, I really didn't like. Because I don't like to waite. At least if you have reservation, you have your time and you are seated. Staff work really hard to please everybody. Of course, there were some not very polite workers. Food overall was ok. I am picky, but all resorts have pretty much the same quality and variety of food, which is to me so so. By the end of the 6th day, it gets so borring.
What really pised me off was, they apperently charge for wine at the restaurants. I ordered a glass of wine, which was horrible, and they charged us $57 for the whole bottle. And at the check out at the prefered lounge weren't even helpful or trying to be polite. So, we ended up paying for a half glass of bad wine $57. But, it was my husband's fault. He signed the bill. But the staff were suppose to let us know that it would be a charge. Anyway, if you r looking for some nice, family friendly resort, my number one is Iberostar Paraiso Maya. I don't think it deserves 6 golden apples. Only 5, if that.

Room Tip: Upgrade if u care about the location of the room and service.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank Olchik0102

Dear Sir / Madam,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with the Tripdavisor community. We share all of the remarks with the operations staff in order to improve our service and facilities.

A glass of house wine per glass is included, however there is a wine list for those who are interested in other brands. We would like to comment that we do not charge for anything unless there is a guest signature.

Once again, thank you for sharing and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun.

Cordially yours