“Excellent Stay”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Winnipeg
“Excellent Stay”
Reviewed 26 April 2012

Stayed at the Now Sapphire in March 2012. The resort exceeded my expectations for the cost. The staff at this resort are the real winners. The staff at the Now Sapphire were the most friendly and helpful staff I have ever encountered on any trip I have taken. Search out Irene in the Lobby Bar and you will have a great night of great service and plenty of laughs. The food at this resort is very good and the no reservation/no limit policy is an outstanding concept. The resort is relatively small compared to some other resorts but the pool area is huge and service, again, is fantastic there. Our room was very well appointed and clean. I can not say enough good things, and will definitely return.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank D T

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,389)
  • Polish first
Brighton, Canada
Reviewed 25 April 2012

This was my fourth all inclusive vacation (2nd to Riviera Maya), and based on my research, it ended up not meeting my expectations. I am comparing this resort to Dreams Palm Beach in Punta Cana, because it was my last trip, and the resorts are owned by the same company. Supposedly, 'unlimited luxury' is uniform throughout all of the Amstar resorts. I will break down my experience, and exclude travel, weather, and any other factor I feel the resort could not control.

Check in: Thursday, April 12th, noon. An absolute breeze. Staff were efficient, friendly, and eager to please. The fruity drink and cool face cloth was an expected welcome. Porter took us to our room, he was efficient, and explained what we needed to know. Although he did not wait for a tip, we tipped. First impressions are important.

Room: 800 building, 3rd floor, 2 double beds. I requested this on booking, and received without double checking. Very impressed with that. No complaints with the room. It was updated and clean. What more could you ask for at a busy resort. House keeping was immaculate. Mini bar was re-stocked daily. Personal items were never touched, even when left out by accident.

Grounds: incredibly clean, well manicured, obviously cared for. Unfortunately, the resort did not offer a garden tour by entertainment staff. A guided tour of the natural habitat would have been a wonderful treat (Dreams did that daily).

Entertainment: just okay. The crew didn't venture far from their pool-side location. Energy levels were so-so. No attmepts were made to 'bond' with the visitors, at least not us, and we were pool side daily. Once again, comparing to Dreams, where entertainment staff went out of their way to befriend you, and make you feel welcome. Evening shows were a bit of a let down. Tried to watch a few, but couldn't justify the waste of time. Too bad, the theater was well laid out. Evening entertainment in the lobby area was fantastic. Unfortunately, there are shallow, decorative pools in the lobby area, and there are no barriers around these water features. Too easy to slip into one of these water features, as one guest did, quite a potential safety risk.

Food: a very big let down. On one occasion, I sent my a-al-carte chicken dinner back to the kitchen because the meat was pink in the center. That was the last I saw of the plate. Buffet was okay for breakfast, okay for lunch, horrible for dinner. There was nothing to be found as far as authentic Mexican food was concerned. I actually got very sick after eating (a very small portion of my dinner) at the Mexican a-la-carte. 4 days of unrelenting stomach issues was not very pleasant to deal with. In comparison, Dreams blew this place out of the water. Now Sapphire should consider an Italian alternative. Our last evening was at the French a-la-carte, and it was wonderful. Also, must mention, the house wine was wonderful! No need to purchase off the wine menu.

Beach: gorgeous beach. Very clean, well maintained. Winds were high during my visit so water sports were cancelled. No fault of the resort. We walked to Puerto Morelas, big walk, but a fun walk. I would recommend it. The resort offers a daily bike ride into town if you choose to do that.

Pool: we hung around the main pool. That's the place to be if you want to mingle and meet people. Age groups varied from young to old. Everyone was pleasant and approachable. Bartenders were amazing .. big shout out to Luis!! You are the MAN!! Once again, a few tips here and there will go a long way. Think twice about doing shots at the swim up bar. They recycle the shot glasses .. yuck!! I hope the alcohol killed all the germs I was ingesting. At the time, it didn't seem to matter. Also, wasps were a bit of an issue around the swim up bar. No fault of the resort, but a need to know, especially if you have an allergy.

Overall: I expected more from this resort, in terms of quality. Quality of food, quality of entertainment, and overall quality of feeling like I was a valued guest. The staff that I did meet, went out of their way to make me feel comfortable and welcome, but it felt a bit disjointed. I was there, on vacation, but it didn't feel like home. And, when I stayed at Dreams Palm Beach in Punta Cana, I felt like I was staying at my second home. Perhaps culture plays a part, perhaps staff training, perhaps age of resort with Amstar. Would I return to Now Sapphire .. no. Would I return to Dreams Palm Beach .. yes. Actually, I would likely choose a Dreams over a Now resort, in a heartbeat, based on this past experience.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank sharon z
, Social Media at Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun, responded to this review, 7 July 2012
Dear Sir / Madam,

Thank your for sharing your experience with us through Tripadvisor. We appreciate a lot you took the time to write about your experience. We share all our customer reviews with our staff to improve our service and quality.

All the suggestions are addressed to the involved departments. Thank you for your good comments about Luis, he will be glad to know he was able to assist you.

We sincerely regret we did not fulfill your expectations and we woud like to have another opportunity to welcome you in the near future.

With kind regards,

Social media
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed 25 April 2012

I stayed at the the Now Sapphire with my fiance, my brother and my sister-in-law in February 2011. We had such a wonderful trip that my fiance and I are going back tomorrow, this time to the Now Jade. This will be our third time staying at a resort on the Riviera Maya and our fourth stay at an AmResorts hotel. Every trip has been an absolute dream. I honestly have no idea who these people are that post such negative reviews about these resorts. I couldn't have found something wrong with my stay if I tried. If you are that hard to please, you won't be happy anywhere - even in paradise.

As for our trip to the Now Sapphire, everything was wonderful. My fiance proposed to me on that trip and it was picture perfect. He scheduled a romantic candlelit dinner for two on the beach to pop the question. We were the only ones on the beach that night. The table was beautifully set with rose petals and candles right next to the water. It was breath-taking. Our waiter was attentive without hovering or intruding on your special moment. The food and champagne were wonderful. It was seriously a moment out of a fairy tale. Guys, if you are looking for a romantic surprise for your lady, I'd highly recommend looking into this during your stay. It's every girl's dream!

As for the rest of our stay, the pools and beach were beautiful. The food was great and the staff was friendly. The only complaint any of us had was that the large pool was a touch cold, but it was nothing that a few margaritas at the swim-up bar couldn't fix! Overall, it was a fantastic trip. I'd recommend this resort to anyone looking for a serene, luxurious vacation!

Room Tip: We aren't picky about rooms because we only go there to crash. The tropical view room we had was...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Kelly C
Dear Sir / Madam,

Thank you very much for your great feedback. We are delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay with us. We will certainly pass on your wonderful comments to the operations staff. They will be so pleased to know they were able to assist you. It is great to know you enjoyed the romantic dinner on the beach.

Please allow me to take this opportunity to thank you for choosing Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun and we look forward having the pleasure of welcoming you back.

With kind regards,

Social media
Glen Burnie, Maryland, United States
Reviewed 24 April 2012

I've never been out of the country until my BF took me to Mexico. This resort was amazing! The staff was very friendly and always willing to help you. My BF has been in that same area 3 times before and said this resort had the biggest pool out of all them. Louis the pool bar bartender was excellent and always on point. Enjoyed all the food in all the restaurants. The mexican one was a little too spicy for our liking. The only complaint I would say is the housekeeping could be a little more on point with filling up things. We had to ask 2 different times for more toilet paper but other than that, place is amazing!! This was our best vacation ever! We will be back.......
Thanks Cari & Steve of Glen Burnie, M.D.

Room Tip: I do recomend you get an oceanfront room and take advantage of the spa!!! We had a tropical view ro...
2 Thank Cari_Steve
Dear Sir / Madam,

Thank you for sharing your experience and beautiful photos on Tripadvisor and for taking the time to recognize the service provided by Luis from the pool bar bartender. He will be glad to know he as able to assist you.

All of the comments are shared with the involved departments to improve our service.

We hope to welcome you again very soon.

Cordially yours,

Mississauga
Reviewed 24 April 2012

Just returned from my destination wedding at the Now Sapphire. The resort is absolutely spectacular - well laid out and spotlessly clean. We ate at all of the al a cartes and the food was really good. Our wedding coordinators (Anel and Ramon) were friendly and helpful. I can't imagine a nicer place to host a wedding . The new Spa is fantastic...make sure you splurge on a facial or massage. Not sure why previous postings complained about the seaweed...guess they just couldnt' find anything else to moan about. Congrats to the friendly staff at the Now Sapphire - well done!

5 Thank Sallywick
Dear Sir / Madam,

Thank you so much for your review. We are delighted that you had a great wedding and nice stay with us.

Anel & Ramon will be happy to know that they were helpful trying to make you feel comfortable during your stay, indeed they are great wedding coordinators.

We look forward to welcome you again to the Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun.

Cordially yours

Berwyn
Reviewed 24 April 2012

Vacationed with the family, no activities or areas for kids under 3. However, the beach (not very rough either) and pool where big and clean enough to entertain the kids.

Food was great, room was clean, drank the water..been home 3 days now and no problems.
Room was a little moldy.

Next time:
Will bring singles for tipping, catch all the shows, pool toys for kids.

Room Tip: Get the preffered rooms, perks are worth it
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Dave P
Dear Sir / Madam,

Thank you for choosing the Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun for your stay. We were excited to hear that you found our services and rooms more than accommodating.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun in the future.

Cordially yours,

New Kensington, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 24 April 2012

The wife needed a semester break from school so we booked a short getaway at the Now Sapphire. We stayed from April 19th thru the 22nd. It was booked thru Apple Vacations.
Nice resort, pool. Food was good. The room was very nice and housekeeping did a nice job. The beach was nice with someone was always moving up and down the sand with a beach sweeper cleaning the seaweed. Drinks were good and the pool area was also a great place to relax. Overall, a pleasant stay.

Now the knocks,

Our plane arrived at 10:30am. Our room wasn't available until 3:00pm. An Apple sales rep tells us to change and relax. How? Our stuff was still packed. After being at a airport for two hours and a three hour flight we wanted to lay down and relax, maybe take a nap, freshen up. Not sit around in the lobby or walk around the grounds in our travel clothes. We were asked if we wanted a upgrade to "preferred". How would we know if we wanted it? We haven't even seen the room we already paid for. We declined the upgrade.

Don't try to upsale people the moment they hit the place.

We ate at the Cibu. Excellent food and service. The Bluewater Grill was okay. The Market Buffet was also decent with good variety and a chef to make fresh omlettes, sandwiches , etc.

A good resort for families with small children or couples who wish to relax. Not big on nightlife or shows.

Resort staff were very professional but not overly friendly. Not as welcoming as we would have expected.

Will we ever come to Cancun again? Maybe, but we will not be staying at the Sapphire again.

2 Thank CarlAndKaren
Dear Sir / Madam,

Thank you for your feedback shared with us through Tripadvisor. We appreciate the time you took to write your review. We will share your feedback with the staff.

We are very pleased to hear that you enjoyed the pool, the drinks and that you liked the food.

Once again thank you for your choosing us and we hope to welcoming you again.

Cordially yours

29.2 km away
Ocean Riviera Paradise
Ocean Riviera Paradise
#76 of 209 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!