“A relaxing time, but lots of kids.”

Azul Beach Resort Riviera Maya
Ranked #6 of 26 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
leeds
“A relaxing time, but lots of kids.”
Reviewed 8 April 2012

Thought we were getting a suite. Got a standard room which in thomas cook brochure states they are for sole use only. Both me and hubby dissappointed. Paid alot as it was my 40th. Apart from that great view of pool bar and sea. Some noise from evening entertainment but managable. Amazing food, good service. No gym or spa as refit happening. Massages done near beach. Bit breezy. BE AWARE. NUDIST HOTEL NEXT DOOR. PARADE AROUND ON BEACH. not Told of this when booking. Funny as Azul is a family hotel!!!!!!!!

• Stayed March 2012
4 Thank chocmin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (845)
  • Polish first
brantford
Reviewed 5 April 2012

Just returned from Azul Beach on 30 March. Initially after booking we were concerned about the children centered reviews we were reading as it was just my wife and I traveling, leaving our kids at home. I must say now that I would be reluctant to return to Cuba or the Dominican Republic after experiencing the level of service and the excellent food at Azul Beach. The meals were phenomenal and we can't say enough about the wait staff at each restaurant. We had a candlelit beach dinner and were attended to by Mario, who gave us incredible service. Salvatore was our waiter at the Italian restaurant and again was fantastic. Antonio and Rafael at Blu stood out as well. Bartenders Javier, Guillermo and Papi kept us laughing and entertained at the tequila bar and main bar. I've read some complaints about the line ups for the beach beds. No big deal, grab a couple of drinks an d meet some new people while you wait, which was never longer than about 20 minutes. The beach butlers Isreal, Juan and Alex were running all day to keep us happy. Some complaints about seaweed, however the staff work non stop to clean it up and remove it. Beach was great. Doesn't compare to Cayo Coco's beach, but the resort, food and service blows it away. We just had an older room in villa 4, but we only used it to sleep and shower so it didn't matter to us. Wasn't worth a $100/ night to upgrade. If we decided we needed some quiet time we had no problems finding a quiet spot on the beach away from toddlers. Alonzo at the front desk also gave us excellent service with any questions that arose. Every staff member that we encountered at this resort from the bell boys at the front lobby to the guys cleaning the seaweed off the beach were some of the most friendly people we've met, and I can't see going to a 4-4.5 star in Cuba or D.R to save a few hundred. We will definitely return to the Karisma chain.

Room Tip: We had an older room which was fine with us, however the newer suites and renovated rooms were beaut...
8 Thank Kevin R
Walpole, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed 1 April 2012

My husband and I just returned from a stay at the Azul Beach from Mon-Fri. Before I write my review of the resort, I believe it is worth mentioning that this trip was booked through Vallarta Sun Vacations and we did purchase a package that included listening to the timeshare presentation. For the price we paid we figured that was fair ($499) I was very nervous leading up the the trip because I was having a difficult time getting the confirmation info for our room, in fairness we did not have to pay until this came through. I got it on Sat, we were leaving on Monday! When we arrived at the airport we did have transportation so that seemed like a good sign. When we arrived at the Azul Sensatori, which was the confirmed hotel, our name was not on the list to get through the gate. Long story short we had no room at the Sensatori even though our confirmation stated that hotel. I felt sick and very nervous. The check in staff was helpful and finally got us to speak with Gustafo and he said we were in fact at the Azul Beach and would pay for our cab there (its off the same dirt road but 5 min away) He promised this was actually an upgrade! After flying all day and being upset and tired we had no choice but to head there and hope! *One thing I noticed in all this was culturally the way Americans and Mexicans deal with issues is not the same, do not expect the customer is always right*

Azul Beach

We finally got into our room, after a champagne and cloth check in. They do ask for pillow type and aromatherapy scent we want. In reading other reviews now I am not sure we got the aromatherapy but our room was always nice smelling so maybe they clean with it? My husband did get his pillow, I requested nothing. We had a basic room in what I guess is the old part, off the main lobby...which has an outdoor feel, no closed walls. We did ask for an upgrade and gave a certain $ amount we would pay but did not get one. We had a king bed. It had a balcony overlooking the beach bar quad with views of the main pool and slight ocean views. After walking around and seeing other rooms there are def upgrades but for us we never were in the room so what was the point. If I had my kids with me I would want a different room. We had no issues with water, AC, etc...water was always restocked so that was great, I think 8 bottles daily. We spent most time on the beach. We did find out our first morning that the cabanas have to be "rented" the day before at 3PM. No biggie we got lounge chairs. We still got servers to us and were treated well. The spa servers will come by and woo you with a massage and trial services there on beach. We did bite and got massages which was nice, about $160 each. That was our splurge. The food was good, we always found something we liked and only one night we were told a 40 min wait so we went somewhere else. Def will be kids and families at dinner, some kids should have been in bed and were out too late, but for the most part no main disturbances. We have 3 kids, who were not with us, so we are able to let some of that roll of our backs easier. Def liked the Sushi River restaurant. If you get a seat at the bar the sushi just keeps coming! We ate a lot at Chil and the breakfast at Blue is great! Really no issues. At the bars we always got waited on right away. We did on our last day get a swinging cabana down by the Spa area which is a little removed and it was great. Alex came around to check on us, remake the bed, spray us with water mist...it was great. They are rebuilding the covered cabana that is over the ocean but the Sensatori has one that is less than a mile walk on beach. Be aware the hotel next to the Beach is an adult only, clothing optional so if walking with young kids be warned!

Overall we were thrilled with our vacation. We are pretty easy going and we know we def got MORE than we paid for. I understand that if people paid more they may expect more but we had no issues, once the original one was cleared up, so we had no reason to be disappointed. We relaxed, ate and drank and got away for a few nights at a great rate. We did listen to the presentation which was not so bad, its individual and you get drinks! It was back at the Sensatori and after walking those grounds we were happy we were at the smaller Beach resort. So in the end it worked out for us.

Room Tip: We had a room over the bar quad, facing inside the resort. Was loud the 1st night with music, but e...
3 Thank Mary A
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed 31 March 2012

We stayed at the Azul Beach in June'11 and had a fantastic time. The rooms are comfortable and the food is good. The waitstaff is exceptional and they work really hard to keep you content.

We had requested transport to Playa Del Carmen through the evening person at the front desk. We agreed upon a pick-up time and a price for a roundtrip service. The next day we checked in to go to PDC. No one at the front desk knew anything about our reservation and the price had quadrupled. After 30 minutes of re-negotiating and another 45 minutes of waiting our van arrived and took us to PDC for double the price we had been told the night before.

Out of a group of 16 people we had a total of five pair of board shorts stolen over night. We mentioned it to the front desk and they looked at each other, shrugged, and stated they had never heard of such a thing.

Get quotes with names, dates, and times, etc. Don't leave swimwear on your balcony or patio. Don't forget your sunscreen. Enjoy the waitstaff's excellent service, the good food, and this gorgeous location!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank laliciago
Amherst, Canada
Reviewed 31 March 2012

My husband and I stayed at this resort from march 23-30th 2012. The grounds and staff were amazing as was the food. A lot of babies around but they were all well behaved. The resort has a very tranquil spa feel. We stayed in a delux suite, which was perfect for us. We initally planned to upgrade once we got there but we were quoted $800 for the new suites, frankly not worth the extra as we viewed 3 and decided our origional suite was great, it was in villa 3. There was construction right beside our room the last 2 days which was really bothersome when we tried to have an afternoon nap. I would recommend staying away from that side if your going there soon unless your not a napper. We really enjoy renting a scooter and touring around but this option was not available nor were there any sailing options. You will have to book an excursion to leave the resort as you cant even walk out of there (your in the jungle) but they are all day affairs and we like to be able to come and go as we please. We did however take a trip to Playa del Carmen which is totally worth it, it was an express trip from 4-8 pm with a shuttle. I recommend going at this time as it cools off around 4:30pm. All in all, we enjoyed ourselves but wouldnt probably go back to the Mayan. Ive also been to Cancun and would recommend going there due to transit service if you like to tour. Finally, be very careful in the sun, especially if your fair, I spent 3 days of my trip in agony and unable to sit in the sun. The burn was so bad my both legs and feet swelled up and all of this happened after I applied spf 50. Just limit your first day to 30 minutes laying out or you will be so sorry!

Room Tip: Anywhere away from construction!
7 Thank J0dyNj0y
Newmarket, Canada
Reviewed 28 March 2012

We booked through Dream Makers Vacation Services. They were true professionals and I would not hesitate to use their services again.

I can't rave enough about the Azul Beach resort; it really is perfect for families with young children.

- The beach was fantastic. We also got beach beds twice - the swinging ones are great for sleeping toddlers so you don't have to be holed up in your hotel room while they nap.
- The service was amazing, and very accommodating for children.
- The food was very good (our favorite restaurants included Chil and Latino).
- The kids club was great; our daughter had a blast. They were very good about keeping activities fresh: crafts, face painting, bringing the kids to the kids pool or to the beach, kids shows, etc.
- We also arranged for babysitters (from the kids club) for three nights. It was a fantastic way to get some quiet time for mommy and daddy, and we trusted the sitters since they got to know the kids through the day programs.

It was a lovely vacation and we would happily go back again. :)

Room Tip: We stayed in Villa 11, room 1117, which was a family suite. It was perfect for us: you could close t...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank happydiane
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Reviewed 27 March 2012

Location:
With a busy toddler who had already spent six hours on the airplane, we were really pleased that the hotel really was just 20 minutes from the Cancun airport. Our hotel was the first stop.

Room:
Stayed in the Fischer Price Family Suite (booked through Sunquest). Originally taken to a room with two double beds. Asked to upgrade to a room with one king size bed (closed off from kids). They did this for free. This allowed us to tuck our daughter in the closed off room during nap times and we could still hang out in the room (quietly) without disturbing her. This room will fit five (two adults, three kids). Nice new room. Didn't upgrade to swim-up room because it was too cold in the pools to swim anyway. We did have a few tiny cockroaches sneak into our room--but I am a complete bug-phobic and I found the rooms to be very clean. I felt sorry for housekeeping because everything in the new rooms is white, so you can tell right away if there's a spec of dirt. Note: a deluxe room cannot connect to a suite because they aren't in the same buildings. We could hear our neighbours in the connecting room (and I'm sure they could hear our toddler at the crack of dawn too).

Spa:
Massages are good, right next to the ocean, but pretty expensive.

Food:
Service was excellent with the exception of a few poor servers at the Blue Restaurant (which is the main buffet restaurant). There was a wedding in the same restaurant and we got the sense they were short-staffed. The Italian and Latin restaurants had the best food and service.
Our daughter, who is a toddler and had her hands in everything, got sick several times. It may have been the milk, since she's the only one that drank it, but we're not sure. I didn't like how they served the yogurt in dishes rather than individual containers, but otherwise we were very pleased with the food. I thought the smoothies were a nice mid-morning snack; my mother-in-law enjoyed the cappuccino bar and cookies available all day at the same spot.

Baby-friendliness:
We borrowed a thermometer, baby monitor, and bottle warmer. All seemed fairly new and worked. We brought our own baby bed. No one had a problem with us filling up a thermos with milk each morning to keep in our fridge each day. Milk was available at all meals. They have crayons/paper at each restaurant. They also have booster chairs with toys. We only went to the kids play area/daycare once. It was fine and had lots of toys but we just figured we might as well spend our vacation time outside. The staff seemed to have fun with the kids. Our daughter is just little but she participated in the marionette show and the water balloon fight in the pool and enjoyed both. Strollers are also available.

Beach:
First, I wouldn't recommend going in the first few weeks of January. It was quite cold and windy. We did take a few dips in the ocean and the pools when the sun was out, but that wasn't often. My husband got up and reserved a beach cabana for the next day at 8 a.m every day. Our server on the beach, Israel, was really amazing. Avoid the swinging cabanas as they are quite close to each other and there's no place nearby for kids to play in the sand and they offer no wind/shade/privacy screens like the other cabanas. As other reviews mentioned, there is seaweed washed up on the beach each morning. The staff usually have it all cleared off by noon. I didn't get a single sand-fly bite and we played with my daughter in the sand every day. We brought water shoes for the ocean just to avoid worrying about stepping on rocks/seaweed, but I don't think you need to do that. We snorkeled in the ocean within the swimming area and saw a huge school of squid within the swimming area, which was really cool. I also enjoyed hatha yoga in the mornings by the beach. If you're into power yoga you will probably be bored.

Tours:
We took a trip to Tulum for half the day. We ended up booking a private van so our daughter could be in her car seat and nap to and from the ruins. We had our own tour guide and then had a nice lunch on the beach before returning to the hotel (packed a lunch in the morning). It was more expensive, but worth it for our situation. The beach/ocean at Tulum is deeper not as calm as the water at Azul Beach so it was a nice change. Plus, the weather was much nicer at Tulum.

We also took a short snorkelling tour out to the reef one morning (you can see the reef from the beach). The tour wasn't really worth it, we didn't see much other than some parrot fish, a puffer, and a lion fish and it was really really cold.

Overall, this was a less expensive alternative to Beaches. It doesn't have the waterparks and ice cream station, but it was a more intimate/ less Disney-esque vacation. It was a perfect introduction to all-inclusives for my mother-in-law who had never been to Mexico before. I think a huge mega all-inclusive would have been too much for her. It was also good with a toddler because the resort is so small, you never really have to walk to far. We never used a stroller.

PS: I bought a mosquito repellant bracelet anklet on the bus on our way to the hotel because I was pregnant and couldn't use deet bug spray. It was a rip-off as I was the only one who got bitten in our family and I was bitten most on the leg with the anklet! Don't waste your money on the silly yellow bracelets. I wished I had brought leggings to go under my dress/skirt for outdoor dining since it was pretty cool and the mosquitoes liked my legs at night.

Room Tip: Upgrade--don't choose the deluxe room (which is just their old standard room). However, they wil...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
4.2 km away
Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa
4.5 km away
Royalton Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa

Been to Azul Beach Resort Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!