“Wowed but wanting”

Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita
Ranked #5 of 27 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 24 February 2012

My husband and I recently returned from the Zoetry resort in Puerto Morelos. A quick ride from the airport brought us to this lush property complete with peacocks, parrots, guinea fowl and other creatures. The beach is one of the nicest along that part of the coast (we walked about a mile along it and thought the Zoetry beach was the most inviting. The "beds" on the beach were generally well attended and one couldn't remain thirsty for long. We appreciated the service and the offerings at all the bars, along the beach and at the pool (and we did manage to take advantage of most of them!). We were also happy with the lunch options which ranged from sushi, salads and sandwiches to fresh fish at the grill. Breakfast choices were also wide ranging and the servers were all very accommodating as far as extra requests.

Our main problem was with the inconsistency of service at the various dining locations. We ate at all 3 of the venues and had both good and poor service at each of them. This was extremely disappointing, as I expect at a place of this overall quality (and price), that the kitchen and staff should be equipped to handle the people seated. I don't mind leisurely dining, but waiting an hour for grilled fish for lunch seemed a bit too leisurely. Sometimes at breakfast coffee would be refilled immediately and other times it was necessary to ask more than twice. Sometimes toast and special breads were served, other times they seemed forgotten. And while most of the food was tasty and artfully presented, I did take issue with the pistachio salad with no pistachios, the chocolate/chili dessert with no chili and the osso bucco with no bone (and inedible at that).

Everyone on the property is extremely friendly. I enjoyed the morning yoga and the snorkeling and the warm weather in February. The tequila tasting was definitely a highlight too.

Service however was in

Room Tip: I think all rooms have beach views.
5  Thank OKTravelgirl
info_zopdb, Social Media Coordinator/E-Concierge at Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2012

Bix a bel OKTravelgirl,

Zoëtry Paraiso de la Bonita thanks you for taking the time to write your comments on Trip Advisor about your stay with us. Your remarks are very much appreciated, as it provides us with information that is helpful in identifying those areas of opportunity we may be overlooking.

Please be certain that your feedback had reached our Food and Beverages Manager and Chef and we will do our best to improve the service and quality provided from our Food and Beverages department.

We are overjoyed to know that you had enjoyed our beach, service from our staff and your stay in general.

We look forward to have the opportunity of hosting you again in our paradise so we can provide you a truly remarkable experience.

Receive regards from sunny Riviera Maya!

Reviewed 22 February 2012

My husband and I stayed at Zoetry Friday-Monday. They gave us a small tour of the hotel then took us to our room. They said they upgraded us to a 1st floor with a plunge pool. Not sure why. Our room was Marbella. It was wonderful. There was a lounge with 2 sofas, TV, minibar, and a desk area. Then you turn a corner and the bedroom and bathroom are there. The only thing was I wish it was a king bed, but it was cozy. The bathroom was too wonderful for words. In the room were Champaign, fruit and tequila. The fruit was apples and not very exciting. Everything is included in the minibar and gets refilled when used.

The beach was very disappointing. We really wanted a beach holiday. The reef made the water seem dirty and there was seaweed all over the beach. They couldn’t keep up with cleaning it, although they did clean it 2X a day. Not the clear blue water like expected. It turned out fine, as the pool area was nice. There are 4 dipping pools within the 1 pool. In between the dipping pools was ankle length water for the pool help to walk across when they deliver food and drinks. We met Fredrico and he became our go to guy the whole trip. He saved our seats in our favorite spot each day. There were 2 towels each, an ice bucket with bottled water and an umbrella ready to go. He was a hard worker and really made the day nice for us. We tipped him at the end of each day. He was great and I highly recommend him.

A word about the food, we are foodies. We have been to great restaurants in Phila, NY and overseas. Not always fancy, but good food. That being said the food was “eh”. Breakfast was good. I had the fruit platter and an omelet everyday, but one when I got pancakes. They were not good, so went back to eggs. My husband got yogurt parfait and havos rancheros everyday. I felt that lunch didn’t have the choices I was looking for. I would have liked a nice salad, shrimp etc... The sushi was rice-y and the fish not fresh. The ceviche was nice and that’s what I got everyday. Dinner, hum...where to begin. The only edible place was the fancy restaurant. The lamb chops were good. Although I met a couple who didn’t like them, but maybe it was good in comparison to the food we got at the hotel. One night we went to the restaurant where they serve breakfast (I forget the names of the restaurants), it was inedible. I got shrimp, which turned out to be fried and had heads on them, YUCK! Once I got past the head issue, the shrimp was tasteless. My husband got steak. We left and went to the casual BBQ place. Better, not great. We got (a thin) skirt steak. My husband grills better skirt steak. The evening was not great and to make matters worse there were raccoons that were begging at your table. When the table next to us left, one raccoon jumped up and took sugar packets. We took a last bite and left.

All in all a well deserved and needed, relaxing vacation. While there were some great things here we probably will not be back.

Room Tip: The patio with plunge pool was great at the end of the day. Didn't use the pool, but liked sitti...
6  Thank Alisa L

Bix a bel Sedrait,

On behalf of Zoëtry Paraiso de la Bonita Riviera Maya management and staff, we wish to thank you for taking the time to share your comments about your stay with us.

We are overjoyed to know that you had enjoyed from a relaxing stay in pour paradise and that the service and the suite that you were assigned were suitable for you.

We regret to now that our food had not met your expectations, we feel truly sorry for this. The areas you have raised are under review with the Department Heads.

Our guest’s comments are truly important for us as we take these as feedback in our constant commitment of improving our service levels and products.

I really hope we can welcome you back again for a romantic getaway, we will do our best to make your stay enjoyable.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 21 February 2012

We just spent a week at Zoetry with 5 other couples. We were given a "group discount" for booking 6 rooms but were not welcome to sit together as a party of 12, they wanted to charge us $20 per person. The next day we talked to the manager of food service, which was the head chef. We had to talk to him nearly every day to make sure our table for 12 at dinner could be accommodated, without paying extra. They were not interested in accommodating our group of 12 even though they sold us a group of 6 rooms. The hotel is beautiful and the rooms are very large and beautiful. The food was good but not exceptional. Service was very friendly but very slow to have your food served. Each meal took 3 times longer to get your food than it should. They gave us "coupons" to use at the very over priced Spa, which were useless. The main pool was beautiful and the pool bar has fabulous servers but the pool was not heated and too cold to spend any time in. They call it an "all inclusive" but only food and drinks were included and a 1 hour sunset ride in a sail boat with the motor running the entire time. Everything else is extra. Also, we never saw a hotel manager, no one was walking around checking on things. We had a great time but would not return.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
5  Thank Cindy D

Bix a bel Cindy D,

Receive warm greetings from Zoëtry Paraiso de la Bonita Management and Staff. We appreciate you have taken the time to share your overview on your group stay with us.

We truly regret to know that you had not enjoyed your stay with us completely. We understand your concerns and for this we apologize. Regretfully at the moment, we were not able to offer you suite locations of your suites to be side by side. Suite locations requests are subject to availability and cannot be guaranteed, however we always do our best to make this possible.

Despite this matter, you can be certain that our Management and Staff always do our best to provide the exceptional level of service that characterizes our resort and brand.

Our resort is a boutique hotel that provides and intimate atmosphere to our guests, the layout of our restaurants can accommodate large groups of guests when requested in advance. I would like to add that in order for us to provide the quality service that characterizes us always following high standards for large groups, this demands more personnel that will provide personalized attention to the group in order to ensure a memorable experience. This is the reason why a fee for large groups exists in our property. We appreciate your understanding on this matter.

In regards to your comment about the color of the water in the ocean, regretfully this cannot be controlled by the resort. This factor depends on current weather and environmental conditions. However this situation does not only occurs in Bahia Petempich area, but other areas in Riviera Maya. We thank you as well for your understanding on this matter, we hope we can host you again when weather conditions offer the crystal blue color that characterized the Mexican Caribbean.

We look forward to have the honor of welcoming you back to Zoëtry Paraiso de la Bonita, allowing us the opportunity of providing you a truly wonderful and memorable experience.

Cordially,

Reviewed 19 February 2012

My wife and I just returned from Zoetry's Paraiso de la Bonita resort in Riviera Maya (February 11th to 18th, 2012). It was our second trip to the resort and, again we were simply "wowed".

Our trip last March was just excellent... on all fronts. Even with that, we thought we wanted to try another location and resort. We began our search last fall. We looked at many island, Caribbean and Pacific Ocean locations. As we dug deeper into many of them (Galley Bay, Spice Island, Palm Island, Rendezvous, Cabo, etc.), none could hold a candle to the experience we had with Zoetry.

The first impression you get from the Zoetry "staff / team" is at the Cancun airport. Our experience is that you are in a private Lincoln Navigator within five minutes of leaving customs, offered a towel to clean up and a refreshment (champagne, beer, water or wine). Upon arrival at the resort (about a 20 minute drive), you are greeted by name and shown around the resort personally (while your luggage is taken directly to your suite). This is truly a VIP welcome. You'll also notice that the Suites are very large, all face the ocean / beach, clean and well decorated and complete with everything you will need for a comfortable stay. By the way, there are no suite numbers, they are all individually "named".

From then on, it's really all about enjoying a relaxing and wonderful vacation. The food is excellent and varied. The dinning options in the three restaurants lets you go from casual / beachfront to elegant. All meals are individually prepared and presented (via menus with many options) as courses. Don't plan on a quick "eat and go".... these meals are really designed to let you relax, talk and soak up the exceptional environment(s).

The pool and beach areas are very good. It helps that before you even scope out where you want to be, you are often approached by a Zoetry staff member asking where you would like to be.... Then, once you tell them, it's only a matter of minutes before they have you fully set up in comfort, most likely with a bucket full of ice waters and your favorite cool drink. These staff members are regularly by you for the rest of the day, offering anything you need (drinks, towels, umbrella's for shade, menu's.... yes, have what every you would like delivered... lunch, sushi, snacks, etc.). These are just wonderful days, only interrupted by the occasional walk down the beach, dip in either the freshwater or warm salt water pools, visit to the spa, trip on the catamaran, etc.

We found the service to be exceptional. We have yet to have anyone that wasn't total concerned about the quality of service you were receiving or the full enjoyment of your vacation. This single point is probably why we came back again this year and will be hard pressed to not come back again. You are truly treated like a king and queen while guests at Zoetry.... maybe, I should put it a different way... the first thing they said to my wife and I when we got out of the Lincoln Navigator upon arrival was, "Welcome Home!"

I feel to be fair I should point out the VERY FEW things my wife and I discuss that are slightly on the negative side. The beach is very nice (good sand and a little over half a mile long). However, it is often full of the "seaweed" that is in the gulf. They do try to keep it clean, often several times a day, but it is not the "pure" beach you can see in the Caribbean. We used the gym every day, and took advantage of the Yoga / Pilates classes. The gym is very small and some of the equipment could be updated.

To net it out... this is a wonderful resort, staffed by professionals dedicated to service and your satisfaction. This small (90 suites) and luxurious resort will give the peaceful and relaxing vacation you're looking for. We will be back! If you go, my bet is you won't be disappointed!

Room Tip: When sitting on the beach or poolside during the day, ask for the Sushi and Lunch menu. Enjoy the f...
6  Thank Steve Z
Reviewed 19 February 2012

My wife and I enjoyed five days at Zoetry, visiting for the express purpose of unplugging from the world, reading a few books in the sun, swimming a bit, and not setting an alarm clock.

We found the resort to be "as advertised." There were only two events of disappointment: 1. a scorpion about 4 inches long was on display in the middle of the night in our second-floor bathroom. My dress shoe took care of that problem. 2. the sun lounge pads on the patio had a ton of sugar ants. I knew there was no practical way for housekeeping to get rid of them, so requested a lounger from the pool be brought to the patio instead (four little legs touching the concrete would have stood a chance of avoiding the small ants). That request was denied.

We were pretty freaked out by the scorpion, frankly, and that's enough to make us think long and hard before deciding to return. I'm guessing it entered via plumbing.

All that said, we enjoyed the restaurants, the food poolside and beachside, and the servers along the pool and beach were fabulous. A $5 bill first thing in the morning goes a long way.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
6  Thank SuwaneeDad30024

Bix a bel SuwaneeDad30024,

We are glad to know that you had enjoyed our restaurants; food and the service provided by our pool and beach wait staff. And the general experience in our paradise was pleasant.

We truly apologize for the incident of finding and unwanted visitor in our suite. Please be certain that this is an isolated event and we truly regret this, our pest control supervision had been reinforced to ensure the comfort and safety from our guests. It is truly important to mention that our resort is sprayed twice a day to ensure this, and we have a great control of the insect population, however we are not able to use stronger chemicals to prevent this for the nature of our Green Resort as well as taking care of the echosystem that surround us. We are situated in a natural protected area home of flora and fauna from the region. We appreciate your understanding on this matter.

We sincerely look forward to welcome you to Zoëtry Paraiso de la Bonita on a future occasion so we can have the opportunity to redeem ourselves providing you with the service you deserve.

Cordially,

Reviewed 19 February 2012

We have just returned today from 10 wonderful days in this exceptonal hotel. It was our first visit to mexico and we wanted :peace and quiet, style, wonderful food, no intrusive music, no night time entertianment, great service and accomodation. We had it all in spades.If you want anything different look for somewhere else, if this is what ticks your boxes you will not be disappointed.

The hotel staff cannot do enough for you, and this is not about tipping. Whether you tip or not, you receive the same first class service and attention. They are the most sincere and delightful people.

The resturants all have their own wonderful and intimate style , but unsually in our experience they all provide food of the most exceptional quality. The best we have had anywhere in the carribean ,inluding Bermuda ,at similar 5 star hotels.

The cleanliness of the resort is outstanding, the unusual and classy touches such as the harpist playing at breakfast and the discreet mexican classical musicans ( of the highest standard and my husband should know he runs a music conservatoire) at dinner, make for an ambience that is evocative and elegant.

Lastly, the normally ghastly experience of the final day when one has to vacate the room and dispose of luggage elsewhere and find somewhere to shower with numerous other guests was not on the menu. The mantra is, "your room is your room until you decide to check out". What bliss.

Our holiday was further enhanced by meeting some very special people who made our stay so magical. We shall certainly be returning. It was out of this world.

Jenny and Derek Aviss Gloucestershire

Room Tip: All rooms are ocean view. The first and 2nd floor have the best views. All are outstandingly spaciou...
5  Thank jennifer A
Reviewed 16 February 2012

During our time here I was struggling to hide how pleased I was with myself for finding this place. For me it was an almost perfect place to spend 7 days. I’m not really used to giving somewhere a recommendation without reservation but for Zoetry I’ll make an exception. It certainly compares very favourably with our usual destinations in the Caribbean or Thailand.

It’s the overall ambience and proportions of this place that made it feel so great. The ratios of guests to square feet, staff & sun loungers were exceptional, the best I can remember. The place rarely felt crowded.

Great food, rooms, beach, drinks and outstanding service.

Someone here said you couldn’t walk down the beach… I walked and turned back after about a mile and a half, granted it wasn’t massively picturesque, just the sea, the beach, the seaweed and some junk brought in from the sea but it was exercise.

The gym was just ok v.small with limited equipment, the food menus didn’t change nor did the entertainment (the Mexican guitar combo just changed their shirts). The smallest number of grumbles I can remember.

I could have stayed for longer, my wife was ready to move on after 7 days. I loved it.

4  Thank markstar
0.8 km away
Azul Beach Resort Riviera Maya
Azul Beach Resort Riviera Maya
#3 of 27 in Puerto Morelos

Been to Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita? Share your experiences!